San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tough loss. I feel like they are going to have a lot of games like this. They really don't have anyone who can create their own shot in crunch time. 

But it doesn't really bother me. I just hope they don't get discouraged with the losses. They play hard and are really fun to watch. 

The bottom line though is that you win in the NBA with stars and we don't have any. Three games in a row they get done in by Jokic, Giannis and AD. That's just the way it go. 

Even Westbrook would have been our best player tonight. 

If these guys could figure out how to share the ball a bit more and get each other going it could help alleviate some of the halfcourt stuff. But we don't have a great iso player.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Even Westbrook would have been our best player tonight. 

If these guys could figure out how to share the ball a bit more and get each other going it could help alleviate some of the halfcourt stuff. But we don't have a great iso player.

Yea we def missin that " give me the ball and get the fuck out the way" guy in crunch time .... Ginobili, #2, Demar

Johnson and White can be it.. but Murray was tryin to be the hero...

Primo assigned to the Austin Spurs. Typical Pop. Loathe to play rookies but I don't really get this one. Primo, though green AF, had some flashes. I don't care how young a guy is -- if you pick somebody at #12 he should be able to get some minutes with your team the first year, especially for a team that is almost certainly going to miss the playoffs.

But if he's not going to play in SA, might as well send him to Austin. I will be extremely disappointed if Primo can't get back to SA and play some meaningful mins with the big team at some point this season.

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Primo assigned to the Austin Spurs. Typical Pop. Loathe to play rookies but I don't really get this one. Primo, though green AF, had some flashes. I don't care how young a guy is -- if you pick somebody at #12 he should be able to get some minutes with your team the first year, especially for a team that is almost certainly going to miss the playoffs.

But if he's not going to play in SA, might as well send him to Austin. I will be extremely disappointed if Primo can't get back to SA and play some meaningful mins with the big team at some point this season.

Maybe he’s not good or consistent in practice?  This was always the most likely plan for him.  Get minutes in Austin, hopefully get better and dominate until the 2nd half of the season, trade someone and then bring him up and develop him at the top level.  He’s a project.

Primo to the G-league? Gee, nobody saw that coming. He needs developmental minutes and he's clearly not going to get them with the big squad for at least awhile.

So far, they've been experimenting with Forbes, giving him about 4-5 first half minutes to see if he's on. And of course, he hasn't been on in what is the least shocking development since ever. I'd rather them give those minutes to Primo to see if he can do anything but I guess the question is what is best for his development: 4-5 minutes / night plus occasional garbage time at the NBA level or 30+ minutes/night in the G-league?

I hate not being able to watch him play but they seem to know what they are doing on the young player development front. Say what you will about the Spurs, they don't take any shortcuts.

3 minutes ago, Assman said:

This is embarrassing. 

No it's not. 

Look, Dallas has one of the best five-ish players in the world. You can make an argument that the Spurs best player is Jakob Poeltl.

I really don't know what kind of expectations that anyone could have for  this team other than to play hard and unselfishly, which they do on a nightly basis. The spurs have a lot of good players. They have no great ones. They are not going to win consistently until they get a star or two. That's just life in the NBA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No it's not. 

Look, Dallas has one of the best five-ish players in the world. You can make an argument that the Spurs best player is Jakob Poeltl.

I really don't know what kind of expectations that anyone could have for  this team other than to play hard and unselfishly, which they do on a nightly basis. The spurs have a lot of good players. They have no great ones. They are not going to win consistently until they get a star or two. That's just life in the NBA. 

This roster isn't great but it's better than 1-5 right now. You need to start criticizing the coaching if you're going to keep up the woe-is-us routine.

You and I are basically on the same page with what we look like on paper. The difference is that I thought Pop might elevate us a bit. As of now he's doing nothing but the opposite. Any fucking coach in the league could have these guys 1-5. There is talent. I'm not delusional - the majority of the games I watch don't involve the Spurs. 

Not that this was an "embarassing" loss but it was close. We need a new coach and GM and have for a couple of years.

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This roster isn't great but it's better than 1-5 right now. You need to start criticizing the coaching if you're going to keep up the woe-is-us routine.

You and I are basically on the same page with what we look like on paper. The difference is that I thought Pop might elevate us a bit. As of now he's doing nothing but the opposite. Any fucking coach in the league could have these guys 1-5. There is talent. I'm not delusional - the majority of the games I watch don't involve the Spurs. 

Not that this was an "embarassing" loss but it was close. We need a new coach and GM and have for a couple of years.

You can't just look at the wins and losses. Look at how they play. That is a reflection of the coach and the culture, which is 100% Pop. Sure, I could have coached them to 1-4 but there are plenty of young teams that play garbage ball.  Still, I don't think it's Pops fault they went 0-7 ft in the fourth quarter against the Lakers.

They've been in every game so far against really good competition. Sure, I'd like to see more wins but they have no elite talent. No amount of coaching in the world is going to turn anybody on this roster into Jokic, Giannis, AD or Doncic. 

Are we really having this conversation? 

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You can't just look at the wins and losses. Look at how they play. That is a reflection of the coach and the culture, which is 100% Pop. Sure, I could have coached them to 1-4 but there are plenty of young teams that play garbage ball.  Still, I don't think it's Pops fault they went 0-7 ft in the fourth quarter against the Lakers.

They've been in every game so far against really good competition. Sure, I'd like to see more wins but they have no elite talent. No amount of coaching in the world is going to turn anybody on this roster into Jokic, Giannis, AD or Doncic. 

Are we really having this conversation? 

No reason for the last quip. Of course we are having this conversation. I'm higher on this roster than you are and more bearish on what Pop is doing than you. That's the only difference. The fact that players that leave the Spurs somehow keep having career renaissances over the past few years kind of supports my thinking. Not that it validates it.

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No it's not. 

Giving up a 33-6 run is embarrassing, no matter how good we are or the other team is.  On top of that, we were up 20 on a depleted team and lost.  If we can't win games like this, it's going to be a long season.

Just now, ztejas said:

No reason for the last quip. Of course we are having this conversation. I'm higher on this roster than you are and more bearish on what Pop is doing than you. That's the only difference. The fact that players that leave the Spurs somehow keep having career renaissances over the past few years kind of supports my thinking. Not that it validates it.

Pretty much everyone on here knew the first 10 games were going to be difficult. Get ready for 1-6. We thought they would be well coached, play hard, and lose constantly. And that’s what needs to happen. Don’t know why you’re angry with this specific outcome. They need a high draft pick for some talent infusion while also getting the young guys in the roster playing time. Another head coach isn’t going to change shit. Except me. I’d take the team down to the border and catapult Forbes and into Mexico as a lesson to the other players. That might earn me an extra win or two.

I mean - what are we doing? I think any Spurs fan has a right to be pissed with the seeming lack of organizational direction. What are we building towards? I'm not stoked with watching Pop coach a bunch of nice assets to the 12th pick in the draft again. 

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Pretty much everyone on here knew the first 10 games were going to be difficult. Get ready for 1-6. We thought they would be well coached, play hard, and lose constantly. And that’s what needs to happen. Don’t know why you’re angry with this specific outcome. They need a high draft pick for some talent infusion while also getting the young guys in the roster playing time. Another head coach isn’t going to change shit. Except me. I’d take the team down to the border and catapult Forbes and into Mexico as a lesson to the other players. That might earn me an extra win or two.

I'm not angry just frustrated with our current reality. I think the past 5 years haven't been well managed. 

That said - fuck Kawhi. 

@Mitch Cumsteen I'm sorry but I'm young and impassioned and want revolution.

GSG

Edited by ztejas

Just now, ztejas said:

I'm not angry just more frustrated with our current reality. I think the past 5 years haven't been well managed. 

That said - fuck Kawhi. 

Yup. Would’ve been nice to rip the band-aid off years ago. Oh well.

Fuck you Kawhi, you fucking bitch.

If Vassell and Primo don't pan out in the future the Spurs are gonna be fucked. I really don't have any confidence left in the leadership, it was easy to build around Tim, Tony and Manu. What have they done since then? Hand out terrible contracts to the likes of Rudy Gay, Patty Mills and Pau Gasol (The worst of the worst by far). Drafted a lot of average and bad players. Fucked around with shitty reclamation projects such as Trey Lyles, Zach Collins and traded off one of the NBA's best players for a chump who could never get it done in Toronto. Immediately Toronto wins a championship without said chump. Pop was too fucking stubborn to deal the nephew off to the Lakers, Spurs could've gained some talented younger players in a deal with the Lakers. Didn't make a shit in deterring them from success, anyway. They acquired AD and won a championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Chad said:

If Vassell and Primo don't pan out in the future the Spurs are gonna be fucked. I really don't have any confidence left in the leadership, it was easy to build around Tim, Tony and Manu. What have they done since then? Hand out terrible contracts to the likes of Rudy Gay, Patty Mills and Pau Gasol (The worst of the worst by far). Drafted a lot of average and bad players. Fucked around with shitty reclamation projects such as Trey Lyles, Zach Collins and traded off one of the NBA's best players for a chump who could never get it done in Toronto. Immediately Toronto wins a championship without said chump. Pop was too fucking stubborn to deal the nephew off to the Lakers, Spurs could've gained some talented younger players in a deal with the Lakers. Didn't make a shit in deterring them from success, anyway. They acquired AD and won a championship.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chad said:

What was the actual offer from the Lakers? If it didn't include Ingram it wouldn't have been worth a shit and would have been caving to nephew for nothing.

13 minutes ago, Llogg said:

What was the actual offer from the Lakers? If it didn't include Ingram it wouldn't have been worth a shit and would have been caving to nephew for nothing.

https://www.nba.com/news/report-lakers-spurs-re-engage-kawhi-leonard-trade-talks

The price for Leonard would be substantial. The Lakers could have to surrender a combination of former first-round picks — from Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart — and future first-round picks and perhaps restricted free agent Julius Randle in a sign-and-trade agreement.

Randle and Ingram would've been well worth it.

Beyond being a team short on difference making talent, we're really, really inexperienced.  For all the pissing on DD, Rudy, and Patty, those dudes had battle scars and run the gauntlet.  Now, they weren't outstanding in crunch time but they at least knew what to expect, understood how to run offense, and how to get to the line.  We don't have a star who is unquestioned on this team who we look to when we need a bucket or a good possession.  Again, not saying DD was great at it, but he was up for the challenge and knew where he wanted to get to on the court and wasn't scared to go to the line.  Right now, whoever is hot is probably who we're going to run a play for and that can change by the game or even by the quarter.  So not just a team missing top tier talent, but a young and inexperienced team missing a top tier talent.  This may end up being another 50 team, but the other way this year....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

How bad do we suck on a scale from Richard Jefferson to Matt Bonner 

How bad do they suck? Like that girl who thought using her teeth was a great idea. Still got the job done, but an unpleasant experience. Can’t knock the effort.

On a Spurs scale, probably Kurt Thomas?

Edited by Kermit
  • Haha 1

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling