Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director

atomheartbevo

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed in an incident involving a prop gun on the set of “Rust,” an Alec Baldwin film that was shooting in New Mexico on Thursday.

Baldwin fired the gun, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office. The film’s director, Joel Souza, was also hit, and was receiving emergency care at a hospital in Santa Fe.

No charges have been filed.

Hutchins’ death was confirmed by the Sheriff’s office and by the International Cinematographers Guild, Local 600.

“We received the devastating news this evening, that one of our members, Halyna Hutchins, the Director of Photography on a production called ‘Rust’ in New Mexico died from injuries sustained on the set,” said John Lindley, the president of the guild, and Rebecca Rhine, the executive director, in a statement. “The details are unclear at this moment, but we are working to learn more, and we support a full investigation into this tragic event. This is a terrible loss, and we mourn the passing of a member of our Guild’s family.”

Alec Baldwin Whiskey GIF by Product Hunt

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director

This is a horrific story. The cinematographer was just beginning to make inroads in the business and to have her life and hard work and dreams end with an unexpected blast of a bullet and the accompanying pain, shock, blood… it’s unfathomable. How this happened is the big question. And certainly secondary to the shooting victims, just like that, Alex Baldwin is now forever intertwined with this tragedy, with this the headline of his 40-plus year career. 

Again, how does this happen? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

At least they'll forget about his abusive relationship with Kim Bassinger.

He’s a deeply flawed guy, also a recovering addict, frequent angry guy and once called his then teen daughter a “pig” on a phone call. I’m sure others will criticize him for a myriad of things. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Vito Andolini said:

He’s a deeply flawed guy, also a recovering addict, frequent angry guy and once called his then teen daughter a “pig” on a phone call. I’m sure others will criticize him for a myriad of things. 

There's more?

Way back in ‘84, model/actor Jon-Erik Hexum was screwing around on the set of his TV show and took a prop gun with blanks and playfully put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The concussion of the wadding was still enough to push pieces of his skull into his brain. I remember news stories talking about how his family donated his organs. A co-worker said he wanted his chin.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Don’t forget about the fake Spanish wife from Boston. 

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My Granddad's youth gun training consisted of "always hold the barrel down and never point it at anything you don't want to kill"  -- that has always worked for me.

The hunter’s education class I had to take back in the 90’s was basically the same, but they drug it out over however many hours to justify the minimal cost of the course.

2 hours ago, Deej said:
1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Way back in ‘84, model/actor Jon-Erik Hexum was screwing around on the set of his TV show and took a prop gun with blanks and playfully put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. The concussion of the wadding was still enough to push pieces of his skull into his brain. I remember news stories talking about how his family donated his organs. A co-worker said he wanted his chin.

Cover Up....Jennifer O'Neill was pushing 40 and hot as fuck in that show.  This picture does not do her justice from that show.

Coverup_hexum_oneill.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My Granddad's youth gun training consisted of "always hold the barrel down and never point it at anything you don't want to kill"  -- that has always worked for me.

Common sense safety procedures we all learn as kids on the ranch don't apply on the movie set apparently. 

But we know which way the gun safety lectures flow. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Can movie buffs explain to me how the fuck this has happened on more than one occasion?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

Others have touched on some of what's discussed in the linked article.  Suffice to say that blanks can be dangerous.  But, like another poster, I'm curious to know how two people were killed/injured.  It'll be interesting to get the details.

Edited by Carl Spackler