Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director

atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Seems like if Baldwin fired as part of actual filming he should be fine.  If he was messing around between filming he may be fucked.

This.  Lots of witnesses and probably camera footage.  

So to the point, why was he pointing the gun at the director of photography and the director himself?  Maybe they were filming a scene where the gun was pointed at the camera or off camera in their direction. The two people that were shot were likely looking through the camera monitors or coaching the scene?

Edited by BabaYaga

Nearly all the examples I have found involve either extremely close range damage by the gases/squib/both or an actual projectile that was left in or otherwise found its way into a firearm. I can’t see how two people get killed unless it was an actual live round—and it’s colossally stupid for live ammo to find its way onto a Western set. 

/csb my parents were officials and had a very convincing .32 starter pistol when I was a kid, the barrel was plugged so even if it ended up getting a live round chambered, it would be more likely to blow up or at least spend most of the energy of the bullet./csb 

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The issue I think is that range and type of squib load the prop guys loaded.  Why more and more close in shots, if you look carefully (talking to you John Wick) are actually CGI'd for effect.

John Wick isn't real?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

With a prop gun ?  there's nothing but cotton wadding basically.  It's the concussive force at close range that kills I thought.

That is what this article said. 

An eyewitness on set tells this column that the bullet went straight through the body of DP Halyna Hutchins and into the clavicle of the film’s director Joel Souza.

Link: https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/10/22/exclusive-eyewitness-recounts-shooting-on-alec-baldwin-movie-set-one-bullet-ripped-through-both-victims

Live rounds?

Alec Baldwin cocked and fired a gun meant to be loaded with blanks on the set of his movie “Rust,” and “did not know the prop contained live rounds.” Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed; the film’s director, Joel Souza, is in intensive care. https://t.co/r1FyG9L3x1

— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) October 22, 2021

8 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

WTF was ANY live ammunition doing on a movie set?  Seriously, there shouldn't have been a bullet even allowed on the premises.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

WTF was ANY live ammunition doing on a movie set?  Seriously, there shouldn't have been a bullet even allowed on the premises.

Well remember you're talking Hollywood types here.  Bullet is anything that comes out of the barrel of a gun, and that includes water from a squirt gun.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yeah, John Landis is the one saying, “Hold my beer!” in the Twilight Zone Movie deaths.

Landis should have gone to prison. His attitude regarding the entire incident, before and after was disgusting. 

Read the book "Outrageous Conduct".

Those prop guys know more about guns than almost anyone else I know.  I talked with the guy from 'Appaloosa' and he was just an encyclopedia of old guns, new guns, prop guns, etc.  The steps they take to bring both authenticity and safety to the set is unreal.  If they don't, the movie is out of insurance and they are out of a job. 

I think this may well end up like a Malcom Gladwell chapter.  Where a series of 9 things had to go wrong first, and then the 10th was Alec cracking wise too close with his itchy trigger finger.  Or somebody wanted to be a method actor and wanted real ammunition "because I want to feel the actual weight of a loaded gun in that era."  

Well, Urban, Gruden, Chappelle, and that unvacc'd dude from Wazzou can all breathe easier right now.  Baldwin's gonna do the heavy lifting in the celebrity department from now until Halloween.  What happened?  Will he charged?  Will the movie shut down?  If not, how can people stream it?  Status of the injured?  Alec's public comments?  eTc.

He may not win an Academy Award for this role but Baldwin can take cold comfort that the cinematic device known as Chekhov's gun will renamed for him in perpetuity. 

"Now honey, why would they bother showing that gun at the start of the film unless the pacifist farmer is gonna be driven to use it eventually?  OH SHIT!" 

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Seems like if Baldwin fired as part of actual filming he should be fine.  If he was messing around between filming he may be fucked.

he’s not fucked either way. the propmaster and on-set prop guy will take the hit. they’ll never work again.

they typically have shields in the firing line, which tells me this wasn’t during a live take or rehearsal, so prob no footage. 

insurance company will write a check. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If it was a live take, I cannot imagine he did anything wrong. This really sucks for everyone involved.

again, he didn’t do anything wrong either way. once the prop makes it on set, it is considered safe to use and cleared. 

people who prepare prop guns are trained professionals and know more than everyone else. this is on them, nobody else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

He’s a deeply flawed guy, also a recovering addict, frequent angry guy and once called his then teen daughter a “pig” on a phone call. I’m sure others will criticize him for a myriad of things. 

He's all of those things.  He's also an incredibly generous and charitable man.  When he was doing those credit card commercials, he donated every penny of the millions that he made to the NYU Theater Department. 

When Comedy Central offered him $ 1 million to be "roasted", he said no.  Then, he had dinner with Tony Bennett, heard about a charity that Bennett was working with, and went back to Comedy Central and said "yes", and donated the million to Bennett's charity.  

There are a lot of stories like that.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

He's all of those things.  He's also an incredibly generous and charitable man.  When he was doing those credit card commercials, he donated every penny of the millions that he made to the NYU Theater Department. 

When Comedy Central offered him $ 1 million to be "roasted", he said no.  Then, he had dinner with Tony Bennett, heard about a charity that Bennett was working with, and went back to Comedy Central and said "yes", and donated the million to Bennett's charity.  

There are a lot of stories like that.   

You’d have to go back a few posts to get more context on what I wrote, but it’s the Internet, context is mostly lost and I probably did a poor job making my point. I’m an Alec Baldwin fan.