Your favorite one hit wonder

VABuckeye

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Can I get a ruling on this? I thought Freedy was gonna be big. This Perfect World still holds up IMO.

Can't imagine it wouldn't apply.  Interesting album -- on of my favorites, not quite a desert island disc, but damn close -- it has a TON of low end, especially for the genre.

csb/ the guy who helped me build my old studio and who was a "silent partner" (i.e., he could use it when he wanted) let me know that Freedy was in town and asked if he knew of a studio where he could demo a few new songs, but my buddy was busy so he said "no".

My head popped off.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, CooterBrown said:

Couldn’t pick just one.

On 10/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, TexasHooch said:

Love the Freedy Johnston pick.  I loved all his stuff, but I think it qualifies.

I'll add a no brainer....

Neither of these were one-hit wonders. 

Men Without Hats had "Pop Goes the World" hit worldwide charts (including #20 in the US) in 1987.

a-Ha had "The Sun Always Shines on TV" from that same album, and a Bond theme song ("The Living Daylights").

• Hook 'Em 1

I put Tommy Tutone and Fountains of Wayne in the same category.  They may have had only one song that was on the radio but both are FANTASTIC writers of pop songs, especially Fountains of Wayne.  Just a fantastic band.  

And Tommy Tutone?  Two GREAT songs from their debut album.

I wish some drummer could explain the counting on the snare hits...if he is counting

• Hook 'Em 1

I know they had their follow up hit, but really, c'mon.  I love this song.  Still do.  It's like an English Prog Rock "Funny How Time Slips Away."  My cousins were in high school at the time and played it incessantly every time we hung out over there.  Video was badass for the time too.  Shit blowing up, gated reverb, synthesizers.  Everything that made the 80s great.

In a similar vein, what about this one?  I went through a nostalgic 80s phase recently and recalled how much I loved hearing this one at the Roto Disco at Six Flags.  She had a ton of hits in her old band, but as far as I know, only this one solo.  

• Hook 'Em 5