Your favorite one hit wonder

VABuckeye

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Were these one-hitters?

Katrina & The Waves "Walking on Sunshine"

Nena "99 Luftballons"

I'm thinking so, but I wasn't exactly paying a lot of attention to the radio back then.

Yes, on Katrina & The Waves.  I honestly can't name another song of theirs, but that song is certainly their only hit.

Yes on Nena in America, but no idea of how her career went in Germany.

Hocus Pocus by Focus...or was it Focus by Hocus Pocus.  Anyway, kind of weird song with pretty decent guitar work which was, unfortunately, overshadowed by rather strange and off-putting, Popeye-like vocalizations.  While we're on the weird European one-hit wonders, there was also that one song by Kraftwerk...something something something Autobahn something.  And then there's Radar Love by Golden Earring...never understood the love for this song, but it sure was popular at one time.

• Hook 'Em 3

Giuffria - "Call To The Heart".  Very 80s hair band video.  Apparently the lead singer later achieved some notoriety by doing a SpongeBob SquarePants song.

"How Do You Talk To An Angel" by The Heights.  Band and song done for a television show in the early 90s.  Song reached number one, then fell down the charts and the show was cancelled.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Yes, on Katrina & The Waves.  I honestly can't name another song of theirs, but that song is certainly their only hit.

Their third album (which included re-recordings of several earlier songs) is actually very solid.  Walking on Sunshine plus several other good songs, including Going Down to Liverpool and Red Wine & Whiskey.  But, yeah, WOS was their only real hit.

Giuffria - "Call To The Heart".  Very 80s hair band video.  Apparently the lead singer later achieved some notoriety by doing a SpongeBob SquarePants song.

I met these fuckers once. Greg Giuffria had the hottest girl on his arm I’d ever seen. /csb

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

During college in the early 80s, my roommates had MTV on non-stop in my apartment.  How have I never heard of these guys.   They suck, but that video should have gotten a lot of airplay.    A lot of great stuff in the 80s, but Glam Rock wasn't one of them.

1 hour ago, deac_tracy said:

Technically Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Grateful Dead and Public Enemy are all one hit wonders.

Technically, you're wrong:

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze, Hey Joe, All Along the Watchtower

Rush - Spirit of the Radio, Free Will, Tom Sawyer

Public Enemy - Fight the Power, Don't Believe the Hype

Grateful Dead - Truckin', Casey Jones, Touch of Grey

That's just off the top of my head, but they all produced more than one hit.

1 minute ago, 83Horn said:

Technically, you're wrong:

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze, Hey Joe, All Along the Watchtower

Rush - Spirit of the Radio, Free Will, Tom Sawyer

Public Enemy - Fight the Power, Don't Believe the Hype

Grateful Dead - Truckin', Casey Jones, Touch of Grey

That's just off the top of my head, but they all produced more than one hit.

Most of those songs were never in Billboard's top 40 aka they were never a hit.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Not a OHW. 6th Avenue Heatache and Three Marlenas were legit.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What about the "500 Miles" guys?

I'm too lazy to look this shit up.

They also had “I’m On My Way” from the album with “500 Miles”.

1 hour ago, deac_tracy said:

Most of those songs were never in Billboard's top 40 aka they were never a hit.

Lisa Loeb’s “Stay” was #1, but she also had a Top 20 hit with “I Do” at #17, which was her second #1 in Canada.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Do_(Lisa_Loeb_song)

17 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Hocus Pocus by Focus...or was it Focus by Hocus Pocus.  Anyway, kind of weird song with pretty decent guitar work which was, unfortunately, overshadowed by rather strange and off-putting, Popeye-like vocalizations.  While we're on the weird European one-hit wonders, there was also that one song by Kraftwerk...something something something Autobahn something.  And then there's Radar Love by Golden Earring...never understood the love for this song, but it sure was popular at one time.

Great song in the movie Baby Driver