2021 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves

texashorne

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Also - for what it's worth Astros fans - I recognize your title. Even less begrudgingly than the fucking Lakers bubble title. 

That said you can still fuck off and I hope you never win another one. 

and we recognize the twist in your shorts that is everything it means to be an Arlington fan.

Nice job by the Braves.  Hellova season and they overcame about as much adversity/ transition on the roster as any team I can remember.

Congratulations!!!

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Glad we won’t be hearing about the Astros for a while. MMP will be a ghost town in a couple years, those fans are as fair weather as they come. Which is great for me since it’s the closest big league park to where I live, I can start “cheaply” going to a couple MLB games a year.

This is typically stupid commentary.

The Astros aren't going to disappear just because you want them to.  You see Correa leaving and probably JV and think that's it, blissfully unaware of how much money that frees up to sign free agents with and how many really good players the Astros have who are 27 and under right now.  They're not going anywhere.

And every team draws fewer fans in the lean years.  Breaking news.  And the audacity of a guy who jumped on the Yankees bandwagon at their peak, from 1500 miles away, having anything to say about another team's real fans is pretty rich.

Enjoy your schadenfreude, dipshit.  It's all you'll have for the next decade just like the last one.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is typically stupid commentary.

The Astros aren't going to disappear just because you want them to.  You see Correa leaving and probably JV and think that's it, blissfully unaware of how much money that frees up to sign free agents with and how many really good players the Astros have who are 27 and under right now.  They're not going anywhere.

And every team draws fewer fans in the lean years.  Breaking news.  And the audacity of a guy who jumped on the Yankees bandwagon at their peak, from 1500 miles away, having anything to say about another team's real fans is pretty rich.

Enjoy your schadenfreude, dipshit.  It's all you'll have for the next decade just like the last one.

Do you really think the Astros will use that freed up money to sign free agents?

47 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Do you really think the Astros will use that freed up money to sign free agents?

Yes. The owner has indicated as much. He isn't going to overpay, however.. I know that's not what you want to hear, but the Astros will be contenders the next few seasons, barring epic disaster.  

51 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Yes.  They're largely homegrown, but they've also signed several big free agents along the way.  They've still got a nucleus that can contend and they'll have a truckload of money to spend if Correa walks.  They're not gonna just resign themselves to trying to beat out the Yankees for the second wild card spot.

41 minutes ago, Helobious said:

With a weakened roster, that owner is going to sit on most of that freed up money. Of course he says he won’t but it’s what they all do.

That roster isn’t weakened but it certainly has a couple of big holes to fill in the off-season, namely SS and an elite ace.  I think they’ll spend some of that money but I don’t think they will spend like Astros fans are hoping they do.

We were on vacation at some sparsely attended restaurant with the Braves game on where Acuna ran full speed into the wall and couldn't put any pressure on his leg. Seemed like he was the only guy the Braves could count on in their pathetic season thus far at that point, it is still insane to me this team got red-hot and won it all.

17 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

We were on vacation at some sparsely attended restaurant with the Braves game on where Acuna ran full speed into the wall and couldn't put any pressure on his leg. Seemed like he was the only guy the Braves could count on in their pathetic season thus far at that point, it is still insane to me this team got red-hot and won it all.

Ewing Theory?

• Like 1

just some food for thought for surly astros fans, re: how you guys come across to everyone else here.

you guys won the WS in 2017, and when it was revealed that you won that WS by using one of the more advanced and sophisticated methods of cheating that baseball has ever seen, you all made yourselves and your team out to be martyrs. you then somehow got a chip on your shoulder about the whole thing and proceeded to talk mad shit to any and every fan base who had a problem with the cheating. you earned a reputation over the years of being arrogant, loudmouth dickheads, the kind one would normally associate with NYC, Philly, or some other trash city full of trash people- not with a city like Houston.

When you got back to the WS for the third time in five years, instead of being nervous and hopeful, you were brash and dismissive. you yawned at the Braves; you said that Ozzie Albies, the best offensive 2B in baseball, was average as a hitter; you claimed that the white sox were clearly superior to the Braves, and pointed out how easily you dispatched the white sox; you said that the Braves only had three decent hitters; you continuously downplayed everything good about the Braves, and incessantly cited their season-long stats as proof of their futility, which is disingenuous at best, and just plain stupid at worst.

When fans of other teams took issue with this type of behavior, several of you SCREAMED at us that "literally no one" who is an Astros fan had said anything dismissive or disparaging about the Braves. you repeatedly posted long, angry diatribes about how we were all just making shit up and "attacking" you guys for no reason, as if we all aren't in here reading the same thread. Brash, pompous, arrogant, loud mouthed, uneducated, shit talking goons, who are also somehow victims and martyrs. That's how you all have represented yourselves over the last several years, and especially during this postseason. 

What's interesting is that you guys are in no way representative of the Astros fans who i know in real life. Those folks are generally just normal baseball fans, who root for their team with at least some sense of humility, and without all of this entitled arrogance and underlying rage. My best guess is that the dedicated Astros thread- your own little echo chamber of superiority and martyrdom- is what gets you guys so riled up and ready to talk shit. That your behavior has become normalized among your group, to the point where y'all can't even see how horribly you come off to everyone else around here. Hate him all you want, but based on my experience on this forum over the years i would much rather sit down and watch a game with helobious than a good majority of the Astros fans here. he's a lot classier and much more calm than you guys are.

So, to sum all of this up, i will quote the Los Angeles based, grammy award winning rapper Kendrick Lamar: sit down. be humble. you guys had your time. it's over. now go back to your thread and stay there, please and thank you. you can come back out when you've learned some manners. we won't hold our breath.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Oh stick a sock in it. The Astros aren’t done.

as if we are just sitting here waiting for relief from all of the Dickheadz and douche bags that have been ragging on our team for the last couple of years. It doesn’t make a fuck. We do not need your approval.

next year I suspect this team will be in the running. Nothing is over. Not even fucking close.

What’s funny to me is it’s the same Fanbases talking shit all the time. It’s been pretty much nary a peep from the Braves fans on here, and they’re the only ones that can legitimately say a damned thing.

Otherwise, folks can just get the fuck over themselves.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

just some food for thought for surly astros fans, re: how you guys come across to everyone else here.

you guys won the WS in 2017, and when it was revealed that you won that WS by using one of the more advanced and sophisticated methods of cheating that baseball has ever seen, you all made yourselves and your team out to be martyrs. you then somehow got a chip on your shoulder about the whole thing and proceeded to talk mad shit to any and every fan base who had a problem with the cheating. you earned a reputation over the years of being arrogant, loudmouth dickheads, the kind one would normally associate with NYC, Philly, or some other trash city full of trash people- not with a city like Houston.

When you got back to the WS for the third time in five years, instead of being nervous and hopeful, you were brash and dismissive. you yawned at the Braves; you said that Ozzie Albies, the best offensive 2B in baseball, was average as a hitter; you claimed that the white sox were clearly superior to the Braves, and pointed out how easily you dispatched the white sox; you said that the Braves only had three decent hitters; you continuously downplayed everything good about the Braves, and incessantly cited their season-long stats as proof of their futility, which is disingenuous at best, and just plain stupid at worst.

When fans of other teams took issue with this type of behavior, several of you SCREAMED at us that "literally no one" who is an Astros fan had said anything dismissive or disparaging about the Braves. you repeatedly posted long, angry diatribes about how we were all just making shit up and "attacking" you guys for no reason, as if we all aren't in here reading the same thread. Brash, pompous, arrogant, loud mouthed, uneducated, shit talking goons, who are also somehow victims and martyrs. That's how you all have represented yourselves over the last several years, and especially during this postseason. 

What's interesting is that you guys are in no way representative of the Astros fans who i know in real life. Those folks are generally just normal baseball fans, who root for their team with at least some sense of humility, and without all of this entitled arrogance and underlying rage. My best guess is that the dedicated Astros thread- your own little echo chamber of superiority and martyrdom- is what gets you guys so riled up and ready to talk shit. That your behavior has become normalized among your group, to the point where y'all can't even see how horribly you come off to everyone else around here. Hate him all you want, but based on my experience on this forum over the years i would much rather sit down and watch a game with helobious than a good majority of the Astros fans here. he's a lot classier and much more calm than you guys are.

So, to sum all of this up, i will quote the Los Angeles based, grammy award winning rapper Kendrick Lamar: sit down. be humble. you guys had your time. it's over. now go back to your thread and stay there, please and thank you. you can come back out when you've learned some manners. we won't hold our breath.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Oh, get over yourself.

There's not a fanbase of any team in any sport that would have reacted any differently in this situation.  BREAKING NEWS: Fans talk shit on message boards.  When fans feel attacked, they respond.  And you cherry picking the minority of posts that belittled the Braves and ignoring the vast majority that predicted a tight series is as predictable as your superiority complex.

I've loved this team since I was in elementary school.  I watched them with my grandfather on his deathbed.  It's not something that can just go away.

Sorry that our fandom gives you the sads. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Oh, get over yourself.

There's not a fanbase of any team in any sport that would have reacted any differently in this situation.  BREAKING NEWS: Fans talk shit on message boards.  When fans feel attacked, they respond.  And you cherry picking the minority of posts that belittled the Braves and ignoring the vast majority that predicted a tight series is as predictable as your superiority complex.

I've loved this team since I was in elementary school.  I watched them with my grandfather on his deathbed.  It's not something that can just go away.

Sorry that our fandom gives you the sads. 

Patriots fans sure as shit didn’t act like it. But Houston sports fans generally has the “what about us” syndrome because they feel like their teams don’t get talked about enough or they don’t get enough credit. So that definitely adds to the mind numbing defensive attitude that surrounds your city and its sports teams.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You could’ve taken this argument and run with it if you hadn’t started off by breaking your ankle like that.

Pats fans hatred was more directed at Goddell. They’ve won way too much to give a shit about what other fan bases think of their team. The city has a history of winning. Houston on the other hand, has two they never would’ve gotten if Jordan didn’t retire, and asterisk baseball title. So 3 titles in the history of the city all with asterisks next to them.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

You don’t know Boston fans very well, that is clear. But obviously you’ve made up your mind. You should travel there more, great city, but I don’t think there’s a worse sports group in this country, or at least no one who outshines them definitively from my experience. They are ‘used to winning’ and super proud of their fandom and city which often creates a less than stellar result in fans.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, texashorne said:

Yes. The owner has indicated as much. He isn't going to overpay, however.. I know that's not what you want to hear, but the Astros will be contenders the next few seasons, barring epic disaster.  

Overpaying is what you have to do to land top flight FA's.  Almost every top flight FA ends up getting overpaid.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Overpaying is what you have to do to land top flight FA's.  Almost every top flight FA ends up getting overpaid.

That’s not what he said - He didn’t say Houston is going to go sign top flight talent. He just said Houston is going to sign free agents with the cap space vacated by departing free agents. 

Edited by The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Pats fans hatred was more directed at Goddell. They’ve won way too much to give a shit about what other fan bases think of their team. The city has a history of winning. Houston on the other hand, has two they never would’ve gotten if Jordan didn’t retire, and asterisk baseball title. So 3 titles in the history of the city all with asterisks next to them.

You conveniently leave out the comets winning the first three wnba titles and that houston is the most diverse city in the US

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

So how far did Soler's HR actually go?  I read 446ft somewheres but that seems way low.  We need some math nerds on this stat.

after the bounce on Crawford street, prolly Beaumont.  Incredible hit.

They did say it was not quite as far as Pujols' monster back when.  Astros won that series, so it also didn't have the same impact.

4 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

You don’t know Boston fans very well, that is clear. But obviously you’ve made up your mind. You should travel there more, great city, but I don’t think there’s a worse sports group in this country, or at least no one who outshines them definitively from my experience. They are ‘used to winning’ and super proud of their fandom and city which often creates a less than stellar result in fans.

I feel like we’re saying two different things. Boston fans, NY fans, and Philadelphia fans are insufferable. But they’re insufferable for completely different reasons. Houston sports fans have a very unique “how come nobody recognizes us” energy. You’ve had two “runs” where your team was considered the best in their respective sports, and both have a very obvious “yeah, but…” attached to them, and the majority of Houston fans get so defensive about it that it’s comical. Maybe that would happen anywhere, but in my lifetime it’s very specific to Houston sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

That’s not what he said - He didn’t say Houston is going to go sign top flight talent. He just said Houston is going to sign free agents with the cap space vacated by departing free agents. 

And here the Dodgers have been operating as if there was no cap.  Talk about cheaters.

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I feel like we’re saying two different things. Boston fans, NY fans, and Philadelphia fans are insufferable. But they’re insufferable for completely different reasons. Houston sports fans have a very unique “how come nobody recognizes us” energy. You’ve had two “runs” where your team was considered the best in their respective sports, and both have a very obvious “yeah, but…” attached to them, and the majority of Houston fans get so defensive about it that it’s comical. Maybe that would happen anywhere, but in my lifetime it’s very specific to Houston sports.

Dallas/ Arlington fans withholding their "endorsement" is the most hilarious thing in this thread.

WGAF?

BTW, I'm a lifelong Cowboy fan, but also one of the Astros.  There's been multiple attempts in this conversation to say H-Town fans are somehow wishing for affirmation from the world.  LOLZ.  That is not remotely close to the truth except in opposing fans' and Joe Buck's head.

Here’s someone who doesn’t think the Astros are going to fall off a cliff.

FanDuel’s early WS odds for 2022

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (+550)

2. Houston Astros (+700)

3. Chicago White Sox (+1000)

4. Toronto Blue Jays (+1200)

5. New York Yankees (+1200)

6. Atlanta Braves (+1400)

7. San Francisco Giants (+1400)

8. San Diego Padres (+1400)

9. Tampa Bay Rays (+1400)

10. Milwaukee Brewers (+1400)

11. Boston Red Sox (+1800)

12. St. Louis Cardinals (+1800)

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Here’s someone who doesn’t think the Astros are going to fall off a cliff.

FanDuel’s early WS odds for 2022

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (+550)

2. Houston Astros (+700)

3. Chicago White Sox (+1000)

4. Toronto Blue Jays (+1200)

5. New York Yankees (+1200)

6. Atlanta Braves (+1400)

7. San Francisco Giants (+1400)

8. San Diego Padres (+1400)

9. Tampa Bay Rays (+1400)

10. Milwaukee Brewers (+1400)

11. Boston Red Sox (+1800)

12. St. Louis Cardinals (+1800)

Those odds are made assuming the exact same roster & production from this season returns next season. They are worthless.

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Those odds are made assuming the exact same roster & production from this season returns next season. They are worthless.

Yeah. Bookies are in the habit of setting odds where millions of dollars are at stake with a minimal amount of analysis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. Bookies are in the habit of setting odds where millions of dollars are at stake with a minimal amount of analysis. 

Helobious is dumb on that but bookies are in the business of making money.  The odds are set at levels in which they believe they can profit the most off of.

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

We had Apple Watches too!?!?

9 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Helobious is dumb on that but bookies are in the business of making money.  The odds are set at levels in which they believe they can profit the most off of.

Exactly. Setting odds assuming the same roster and production could cost the bookies big. If this was ESPN or Yahoo setting the odds then Helo might be right. But these odds are actionable. Mistakes are costly. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This is true, but they also set odds to pull in the most $ they can.  Odds aren't always the most logical analysis of everything, they're the most cost-inducive.

At this point just after the season, sure odds are great for laying perhaps a future money bomb down, but essentially right now they're virtual Hail Mary's.  There is way, way, way too much stuff that can happen (free agency, injury, act of God, whatever) to give anyone a true idea of how next year turns out.  If you take a look at this page, you can see that most of the WS winners (since '85 when this began) were nowhere near the favorites (very few were < than even 300+ odds; in fact most of them were huge underdogs).  Conversely, very few of the favorites just after the season end up winning, or in many cases, even being close.  You can see the odds of course changing often through the seasons on that page.  And a great majority of the time, a team in the WS the year before doesn't make it back the next year.

Setting odds now isn't much of a guarantee of anything, even a non-cellar finish.

Of course the teams that finished strong this year will be near the top now, but that's just to get bettors in on the now-less-focused action (this is where they hope that a guy lays down that "longshot" bet in Vegas or whatever).  

The Astros have a strong core and of course, nothing else factoring in right now, should be a contender again.  But odds at this time of the season?  They don't mean much except for a slap bet in Vegas.

• Hook 'Em 1