Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

15 minutes ago, Bravo said:

2 min mark of Trump speech condemning neo nazis and white nationalists. Same speech. That is left out. Context is key and it has been inaccurately spun for maximum propaganda effect for the left. You know what's funny here is this is a thread about the VA gov race where VA democrats just orchestrated a false flag white supremacists media event and the left on here are bUt TruMp! 

Yep, they cut it out cause they had their sound bite.  They repeated that lie 24/7.  His comments were about the many different people, in general, who were aligned on both sides of a volatile issue.  There are of course many factions aligned on both sides of the issue some of them are horrible people.  He, wasn't singling anyone out for praise or support (namely neo nazis), but of course the left needs a good sound bite to keep the masses riled up. He gave them one.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Christ that tired old lie about fine people on both sides of the issue. Creative editing was rampant in that event. The comment he made was there are many fine people on both sides of the issue about the removal of the statues. It had nothing to do with the nazis or folks opposing the Nazis. Yeah democrats are fine upstanding, and honest people who just keep passing a lie along because it suits their purposes. 

Could anyone be dense enough to think this was the first time?  Or just the first time they got caught?

On 10/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I am in no way shape or form a neo nazi, nor are the vast vast majority of the people who opposed the removal for many reasons (which is who he was speaking  about.  You can read all kinds of things into comments when you have a hatred that just causes blind, thoughtless criticism.

You forgot to tell us you have many black friends too and once held a door open for an elderly black woman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Bravo said:

2 min mark of Trump speech condemning neo nazis and white nationalists. Same speech. That is left out. Context is key and it has been inaccurately spun for maximum propaganda effect for the left. You know what's funny here is this is a thread about the VA gov race where VA democrats just orchestrated a false flag white supremacists media event and the left on here are bUt TruMp! 

"They should be condemned, but far be it from me to be the one...."

47 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh shit, ya caught me. Thought I could throw you off the scent by stating I'm not a neo nazi.  You're just all kinds of too smart...

i think it’s more about what someone is about to say when they open with that. 

if i started a paragraph with, “i am in no way, shape, or form a child molester…”

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Explain your people then.

tl:dr: Ultimately, in this guy I see a large population of folks who once held both a valuable position in society (they gave value) and who were also valued by society (they were respected by virtue of their being valuable; a causal value and virtuous cycle) and now that society has moved passed them they are eaten up with fear and insecurity to the point of it being existential and/or border line mental illness.

Specifically from this video:

When I see that video clip, I'm not immediately moved to derision and mocking and disgust. I see an old, frail and lost man so eaten up with fear and ignorance that he can't even exist with any joy or peace. He's jumping from shadows and is paranoid and scared of something that doesn't even exist. I see a modern day tragedy. That guy could be my pop pop. Heck, that guy could be me one day if God willing I'm liable to live to be ancient.

I think that the world has moved ahead, especially with the advancements we've made in technology, and that the cultural norms have changed at warp speed for simple people like this, that they are lost and scared and they are duped. They don't necessarily want to be duped, but they do want to be comforted and have an explanation for why things are so different and scary.

I have a soft spot for this stuff I guess because as I said, these people could be my dad (maybe could be our dads, collectively, as white people) and it hits close to home. I want better for them but not sure that at a certain age, outside of smart people with brains that are still soft and flexible, you can be helped.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

tl:dr: Ultimately, in this guy I see a large population of folks who once held both a valuable position in society (they gave value) and who were also valued by society (they were respected by virtue of their being valuable; a causal value and virtuous cycle) and now that society has moved passed them they are eaten up with fear and insecurity to the point of it being existential and/or border line mental illness.

When I see that video clip, I'm not immediately moved to derision and mocking and disgust. I see an old, frail and lost man so eaten up with fear and ignorance that he can't even exist with any joy or peace. He's jumping from shadows and is paranoid and scared of something that doesn't even exist. I see a modern day tragedy. That guy could be my pop pop. Heck, that guy could be me one day if God willing I'm liable to live to be ancient.

I think that the world has moved ahead, especially with the advancements we've made in technology, and that the cultural norms have changed at warp speed for simple people like this, that they are lost and scared and they are duped. They don't necessarily want to be duped, but they do want to be comforted and have an explanation for why things are so different and scary.

I have a soft spot for this stuff I guess because as I said, these people could be my dad (maybe could be our dads, collectively, as white people) and it hits close to home. I want better for them but not sure that at a certain age, outside of smart people with brains that are still soft and flexible, you can be helped.

The non-sympathetic take would be that you see the product of a decades old systematic effort to scare people away from thinking independently such that they only know the lines in the script they were told to say.

I bet we could pick a dozen different topics and he’d know the lines to say. What do you think about BLM? What do you think of Obamacare? What do you think of voter ID? Any doubt we could nail his responses at a 100% rate? At some point being upset that you aren’t king of the world doesn’t abdicate responsibility from understanding what is going on around you. You don’t get a lifetime pass because your station in life is slipping  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They could be helped somewhat if they weren't fooled by a certain political party supported by a certain media outlet that hammers home a message, repeatedly, that is intended to scare and dupe them.

Agree, which is why I said if they had pliable brains that weren't rigid from old age and natural deterioration. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That's a lot of words.  I will tell you what I see.  I see an old guy who watches Hannity, Tucker and Ingraham every night and believes what they say is the gospel so now he is afraid of his own shadow.  I will continue to ridicule people like him because they are bad for this country.   They are unable to think on their own and are being manipulated by a propaganda machine.  If the Fox News lineup started telling people that being a Nazi is a good thing that dude in the video would be wearing a swastika and goose stepping his way to the voting booth, so no, I don't feel sorry for him.

If I take a step back and read what you said, I agree. Because while you are vilifying this guy for being duped, at the end of the day what you are typing is that he is the victim. He's the victim of Fox News and you don't feel sorry for him (the victim).

It's no different than old people being scammed by people who bilk them out of their retirement via gift cards or whatever; it's a scam targeting senior citizens who have lost a step (or a dozen steps) in their mental acuity. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

The non-sympathetic take would be that you see the product of a decades old systematic effort to scare people away from thinking independently such that they only know the lines in the script they were told to say.

I bet we could pick a dozen different topics and he’d know the lines to say. What do you think about BLM? What do you think of Obamacare? What do you think of voter ID? Any doubt we could nail his responses at a 100% rate? At some point being upset that you aren’t king of the world doesn’t abdicate responsibility from understanding what is going on around you. You don’t get a lifetime pass because your station in life is slipping  

Agreed. I think this is because the medicine prescribed to these old feeble men who are scared to death is to watch 8 hours of this specific channel with these specific talk tracks because they will make you feel better about the chaos and speed of the world around you as your old brain deteriorates away. It's akin to giving someone a hard drug to treat chronic physical pain to mask the pain because there is no cure, until they die. But this pain is mental/emotional from being lost in the world.

That's my feel, at least, just an opinion and what I see when I see a video like that of a guy who can't articulate what he had for breakfast and can only parrot back a few scripted lines practiced everyday in his recliner before slipping into another fitful midday nap where at least he gets 15 minutes of respite from the scary world of having to drive to Sam's Club to pick up hearing aids or prescription medicine and figure out how to use the scanning feature on his phone he can barely hold.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If I take a step back and read what you said, I agree. Because while you are vilifying this guy for being duped, at the end of the day what you are typing is that he is the victim. He's the victim of Fox News and you don't feel sorry for him (the victim).

It's no different than old people being scammed by people who bilk them out of their retirement via gift cards or whatever; it's a scam targeting senior citizens who have lost a step (or a dozen steps) in their mental acuity. 

Over the past year or so, I've seen my mom's (80yo) cognitive ability begin to markedly decline to where she's starting to make some pretty questionable calls: she actually fell for one of those extended warranty calls; she recently got confused in a construction zone and ran into a temporary sign; she's beginning to tell the same stories over and over; and she also repeats stupid shit she doesn't understand that she hears on Fox.

Unfortunately, she also caught Covid from my dad who brought it home with him from game night. He also was an avid Fox viewer and, therefore, believed the virus wasn't that big of a deal. Both my sister and I believe that her having caught it may well have contributed to her decline. She's been "brain foggy" ever since, but I'll grant that the stress of living alone without her husband of 56 years is likely a contributing factor.

Ultimately, I do blame Trump, his party, and their megaphone of hate and disinformation for my dad's death, as well as my mom's *potentially* prematurely advancing decline. This isn't just theoretical; it's very personal and disheartening. So, while I do blame these folks for their pre-existing underlying prejudices that led them down their hole, I can also somewhat sympathize with what you're saying. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

You know, for the most part this is generally a post I agree with. So much of what is wrong with people right now is driven by fear and insecurity that many don't even realize is ruling their lives. And then I remember your previous posts, and...Yeah, we know that you save your kneejerk derision, mockery, and disgust for when people like Donald Trump just say mean shit about women, like, say, Rosie O'Donnell. Thats when you get your chuckles. I'm sure no one here is shocked that your sympathy manifests for old white men. But fat women, lol, fuck those stupid bitches, amirite? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

The dem bloodbath is starting and since they can’t get anything done, gonna be brutal 

The ineffectiveness of the Democrats while controlling Congress and the White House is quite something to behold. I don't think they've been this limp dick even when they're the minority party.  In the next few years, the level of GOP control of all branches of government will be unprecedented.  It is guaranteed they will legislate themselves into perpetual power to a degree that even Putin would be too embarrassed to do.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You know, for the most part this is generally a post I agree with. So much of what is wrong with people right now is driven by fear and insecurity that many don't even realize is ruling their lives. And then I remember your previous posts, and...Yeah, we know that you save your kneejerk derision, mockery, and disgust for when people like Donald Trump just say mean shit about women, like, say, Rosie O'Donnell. Thats when you get your chuckles. I'm sure no one here is shocked that your sympathy manifests for old white men. But fat women, lol, fuck those stupid bitches, amirite? 

Yea, okay and fair. But what is also fair is that in the same very post, I admitted that was my first impulse and instinct. I also said that I actively have worked to fight that first instinct and to rise above it. Go back and read that part; I said there was something ugly in me (and others) that needs to be confronted. It's the difference in awareness and attempting to grow versus just doing the same ole song and dance without trying to ascertain the root causes of things and just mocks and derides.

Which, by the way, I'm not here trying to shame anyone for mocking this guy, I'm just giving my opinion that that clip is illuminating, to me at least, something deeper and more broken.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea, okay and fair. But what is also fair is that in the same very post, I admitted that was my first impulse and instinct. I also said that I actively have worked to fight that first instinct and to rise above it. Go back and read that part; I said there was something ugly in me (and others) that needs to be confronted. It's the difference in awareness and attempting to grow versus just doing the same ole song and dance without trying to ascertain the root causes of things and just mocks and derides.

Which, by the way, I'm not here trying to shame anyone for mocking this guy, I'm just giving my opinion that that clip is illuminating, to me at least, something deeper and more broken.

Self improvement is great, I'm all for it. We're all humans and we all have many flaws, and if we're honest, streaks of cruelty at times as well. 

That being said, you find that video illuminating. I'm here pointing out that your personal instincts, preferences, and biases are also illuminating. 

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Self improvement is great, I'm all for it. We're all humans and we all have many flaws, and if we're honest, streaks of cruelty at times as well. 

That being said, you find that video illuminating. I'm here pointing out that your personal instincts, preferences, and biases are also illuminating. 

I think one of the obvious results of the human condition (of which you eloquently stated in a single sentence above) is that people identify more readily with people who look or sound like themselves. It's why being an empath is so difficult and such a higher order form of feeling/being/thinking and it's why "representation matters", as I understand it.

And I would hope it would be illuminating to you because I literally and specifically shine an industrial strength spotlight when I say "hey, this could be my grandfather so I have a soft spot. Heck it could be me one day." And I say that to appeal to the better sides of some on this thread whose instinct is to react in spite/hate/scorn instinctively, to pause and reflect and consider if they could have similar sympathy considering a lot of us look and sound and have similar shared and lived experiences. Maybe this guy is an unwilling victim and worthy of sympathy; maybe he's not. Ultimately you decide how you want to feel about and react to a video of someone on the internet.

I appreciate Bolverk for sharing a personal side in that regard. God bless your mom, B.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

The ineffectiveness of the Democrats while controlling Congress and the White House is quite something to behold. I don't think they've been this limp dick even when they're the minority party.  In the next few years, the level of GOP control of all branches of government will be unprecedented.  It is guaranteed they will legislate themselves into perpetual power to a degree that even Putin would be too embarrassed to do.

Maybe in the end, it all comes down to revising rights, insurance, worker benefits, and the remains of social security, while blaming Democrat's for allowing them to do it.   

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That's a lot of words.  I will tell you what I see.  I see an old guy who watches Hannity, Tucker and Ingraham every night and believes what they say is the gospel so now he is afraid of his own shadow.  I will continue to ridicule people like him because they are bad for this country.   They are unable to think on their own and are being manipulated by a propaganda machine.  If the Fox News lineup started telling people that being a Nazi is a good thing that dude in the video would be wearing a swastika and goose stepping his way to the voting booth, so no, I don't feel sorry for him.

Donkey isn't really wrong in what you're responding to, but you're also correct. Not only are you correct, but this isn't just an old man who believes Hannity, Tucker, and Ingraham because he happens to watch them. He watches them because he wants to believe the things they say. Without watching them he'd still believe most of that shit, but might feel a little discomfort with the fact that he believes it and could be susceptible (to a small but not insignificant degree) to some counterarguments on some matters. It's not that he can't think on his own, he just doesn't want to because actually thinking about difficult things can be uncomfortable, so he seeks out the toxic shit that reinforces his beliefs.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Some are coerced, some are aligned and some actually, feel like finally, a channel to a larger swath of like minded individuals that share their racist beliefs.   There are lots of roads to the same lot, but it's a problem and it's resurfacing.  Maybe when they and then everybody get's Enroned, there will be a recalibration.  

2 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Maybe making voters take a basic test of civis and current events isn’t a bad idea after all….

😭

How is that going to help grampy there?  People keep saying this about civics and education and it applies in some instances, but not this one and not a whole lot of them.

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Record turnout seemingly favors Dems given recent statewide trends. 

Yeah, I get that, and zona's feelings there. But I'm still given pause by all the reports saying last week that education had become the main issue in the election for over 50% of voters, when it was at like 20% 3 months ago. That screams critical race theory shitbags to me. And there's a new unprecedented amount of first time voters getting out and doing shit for the right. 

I'm also probably being a pussy, but we'll see. 

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I'm not exactly ready to feel confident it favors one side over the other at this point. 

based on what i've heard and read, there are 2 ways the dems lose this election:

1) a bunch of biden/dem voters decided to vote r

2) gop enthusiasm/turnout way up - dem turnout way down

i choose to believe option 1 is make-believe and option 2 is the way youngkin wins.  i get it, it's off year, bad campaign by dems, etc.  in a blue state, which virginia is, bigger turnout is always going to be better for the blue team.

I understand why the R turnout is so high since there is such a huge issue for them this year on how to ban books in schools.  Economy/Jobs, Covid, Climate Change, etc… don’t really affect them but when it comes to banning books or trans people in bathrooms, or abortion then these people run to vote for the Ted Cruz’s of the world because those issues are what hurts them.  Frustrating country this is.

• Haha 1