Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

McAuliffe's response to the bullshit was a stupid thing to say. He finally figured out a decent response to all the CRT panic in the final week, when he went on the offensive and attacked Younkin for trying to ban books, but it was too little too late.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

CRT is teaching children about the Tulsa massacre. We know you hate it.

Horseshit.  CRT is defining individuals as either an oppressor or victim based on the color of their skin.  It is promoting anti-racism, which is saying there is no such thing as not racist ideas, only racist and anti-racist.  That a race neutral society is not desirable.  Some quotes from Kendi's book, which was on my 7th grader's school summer reading list:

A.     includes Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi.[1]

a.     White people think more of themselves, which further attracts them to racist ideas;

b.     Racist and anti-racist ideas have lived in human minds for nearly six hundred years. Born in Western Europe in the mid-1400s, racist ideas traveled to colonial America and have lived in the United States from its beginnings;”

c.     To love capitalism is to end up loving racism;”

d.     “I did not fully realize that the only thing extraordinary about White people is that they think something is extraordinary about them;”

e.     There is no such thing as a not-racist idea, only racist ideas and anti-racist ideas;”

f.     “Instead, they define policies not rigged for White people as racist. Ideas not centering White lives are racist. Beleaguered White racists who can’t imagine their lives not being the focus of a movement respond to ‘Black Lives Matter’ with ‘All Lives Matter;’”

g.     “Embattled police officers who can’t imagine losing their right to racially profile and brutalize respond with ‘Blue Lives Matter;’”

h.     Do-nothing climate policy is racist policy since the predominantly non-White global south is being victimized by climate change more than the Whiter global north, even as the Whiter global north is contributing more to its acceleration;”

i.     Race is a mirage…they fail to realize that if we stop using racial categories, then we will not be able to identify racial inequality;”

j.     “The most threatening racist movement is not the alt right’s unlikely drive for a White ethnostate but the regular American’s drive for a “race-neutral” one. The construct of race neutrality actually feeds the White nationalist victimhood;”

You cloak room nuts love this shit.  Most Americans do not.

22 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What this tells you is that 35-40% of this country, the hard core GQP/Trumpies are shitbags.  HRC was right.  They are fucking deplorable.

Yes.  Keep this up.  Go more progressive.  Call everyone who disagrees with you a racist deplorable.  More woke.  I know Texas Hispanics love progressive white liberals and being called Latinx.

Double down.

You fuckers live in an echo chamber.  Twitter is not America.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don't discount anything you're saying about cleetus going to the ballot box and just voting however qanon told him to feel, but we are going to have a real rough go of things if we remain on that course. Especially when the democrats are so absolutely dogshit at getting anything done whatsoever.

Dude- just because people didn’t vote the way you voted doesn’t make them stupid or a bumpkin. It’s ok for people to have a different opinion on things than you do without them being an idiot. You probably don’t have a lot of moderate or republican friends or if you do, you don’t know who they are because you’re a difficult person to have a political conversation with because you can’t keep it congenial. 

you rag on people for voting for a party without investigating the issues. You realize that both bases do that right? The dems have inner city African Americans and college educated white men that will vote for them no matter who is running. The republicans have middle class white folks that will vote for them regardless of who is running. The suburban white women are swinging these elections based on their feelings.

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Are you reading what I'm writing? I'm not criticizing you and y'all for your ideas, it's that there is no factual basis that supports your position and fears. Or if there is, y'all haven't posted it anywhere that I've read. Last time we got into this with donkey cigars, we learned that didn't even know some of the critical events in American history with respect to racist violence and policy that existed in living memory.

I ask over and over and over for some concrete example of CRT being implemented at all at the primary school level, or being used to censor and destroy stand up comedians, or the ability of the "woke" to actually implement or pass any of their policy that has y'all so dang terrified. 

Real quick: I'm not a democrat lol. I own guns, believe in (actual) free market economics, want my gay uncle's to be able to get married, and my in laws to be able to grow weed for an ag exemption on their land. I voted Romney in 12, Johnson in '16 (lol we were all pretty dumb, eh?), and Biden in '20. I honestly really hate the Democratic party and their politics and how they operate. But they at least have the decency to use facts over alternative facts.

You'd find much less vinegar from me if you'd stop speaking in vague rhetoric and actually used some real examples.

You’re still not getting it. You still believe that CRT is unpopular because people are too stupid to comprehend it and resisting the idea that it’s disliked on its own merits. 

You got to know when to fold ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

You’re still not getting it. You still believe that CRT is unpopular because people are too stupid to comprehend it and resisting the idea that it’s disliked on its own merits. 

You got to know when to fold ‘em.

They set up a strawman.  That people who are against CRT don't want slavery or Jim Crow taught.  It's complete horseshit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re not going to want to hear this but here it goes anyway- moderate people don’t like condescension and being told how to act and feel. Your tone deaf posts last night and today come off extremely condescending and are a big part of the reason that dems are feeling heat right now. Moderates don’t want Hollywood elites, out of touch billionaires or random nobodies on an internet message board constantly telling us that we’re idiots or racists because we have a different opinion than you do. We don’t speak out and stay silent for fear of being cancelled because we voted differently than you and want the country governed from the center. Dems aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Trump does the same shit.

Dems like you would rather double down on unpopular policies because you’re obviously smarter than everyone else and the average voter is an uneducated rube rather than learn a lesson from these elections.

Somewhere, likely in a fiery uncomfortable place, Rush Limbaugh got a twinkle in his eye.

Oh, brave moderate who spews about hurt feelings over condescension and the ebil Hollywood elites, thank you for focusing your milky wrath on just one party. I'm fully convinced of your moderate truth by your obligatory dismissal of Trump while keeping the pure heart of the GOP nestled in your bossom.

The voters aren't rubes! They're very wise to the dangers of gay marriage, transexuals in bathrooms, and the absolute wickedness of Critical Race Theory! Why condescend when you can pander and rabble rouse? Guns! Guns! Guns!

Very convincing. Such a coincidence that it is a paraphrase of the Hate Engine's central dogma.

Try speaking honestly for yourself instead of assuming another personality. Your amateur operative act is pretty lame.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Horseshit.  CRT is defining individuals as either an oppressor or victim based on the color of their skin.  It is promoting anti-racism, which is saying there is no such thing as not racist ideas, only racist and anti-racist.  That a race neutral society is not desirable.  Some quotes from Kendi's book, which was on my 7th grader's school summer reading list:

A.     includes Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi.[1]

a.     White people think more of themselves, which further attracts them to racist ideas;

b.     Racist and anti-racist ideas have lived in human minds for nearly six hundred years. Born in Western Europe in the mid-1400s, racist ideas traveled to colonial America and have lived in the United States from its beginnings;”

d.     “I did not fully realize that the only thing extraordinary about White people is that they think something is extraordinary about them;”

e.     There is no such thing as a not-racist idea, only racist ideas and anti-racist ideas;”

f.     “Instead, they define policies not rigged for White people as racist. Ideas not centering White lives are racist. Beleaguered White racists who can’t imagine their lives not being the focus of a movement respond to ‘Black Lives Matter’ with ‘All Lives Matter;’”

g.     “Embattled police officers who can’t imagine losing their right to racially profile and brutalize respond with ‘Blue Lives Matter;’”

h.     Do-nothing climate policy is racist policy since the predominantly non-White global south is being victimized by climate change more than the Whiter global north, even as the Whiter global north is contributing more to its acceleration;”

i.     Race is a mirage…they fail to realize that if we stop using racial categories, then we will not be able to identify racial inequality;”

j.     “The most threatening racist movement is not the alt right’s unlikely drive for a White ethnostate but the regular American’s drive for a “race-neutral” one. The construct of race neutrality actually feeds the White nationalist victimhood;”

Yes.  Keep this up.  Go more progressive.  Call everyone who disagrees with you a racist deplorable.  More woke.  I know Texas Hispanics love progressive white liberals and being called Latinx.

Double down.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Double down.

"Latinx" is stupid. Not everyone who disagrees with me is racist. But you sure as hell are.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

They set up a strawman.  That people who are against CRT don't want slavery or Jim Crow taught.  It's complete horseshit.

You're right, we're certainly not worrying that conservatives will cover up their history of racial violence, just like they've done in the past.

People like you are the reason nobody knew about the Tulsa massacre for nearly a century.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Double down.

A book with the content you outline was on a seventh grade summer reading list? I find that difficult to believe.

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here’s the part you aren’t getting- it’s not Cletus in the sticks that’s losing you this election (he’s voting GOP and always will unless he doesn’t vote) it’s my friend from law school that lives in NOVA that worries about her daughters at school and doesn’t like TMac telling her she should butt out of their education and doesn’t like the insinuation that she might be racist. We had this actual conversation yesterday morning (via text). She said she doesn’t like any of the politicians but she really doesn’t like TMac and she’s not voting for him to “keep the state blue” she’s voting against him bc he’s a tone deaf jerk and she can hardly wait for the election to be over so she doesn’t have to hear about it anymore. . 
that’s the votes that swung this election.  It’s not major. It’s not a sea change. It’s 5% here and 7% there and less of your base showing up and more of their base showing up and all of a sudden a 20 point win is a 2 point loss.
it doesn’t say anything about governance or policy or where America is- it says don’t be going with the narrative that people who want to be present for their childrens education are racist, don’t use terms like latinx or birthing person. It’s all the shit Carville rants about. And cabriole is smart he’s not talking about Cletus and QAnon being lost he’s talking about suburbanites feeling condescended to.  

I would like examples of where children in VA public schools are being told they are racists with this whole CRT stuff.  If you have them great, I am truly interested because I don't think that should be taught that way in schools.  If you don't have them then I would say your law school friend is a fucking moron if that is the reason they voted the way they did.  Not saying they should have voted one way or the other just that if that is "the reason" they are dumb.  I am not an east coast elitist but I can call someone an idiot if they do idiotic stuff.  Someone that votes one way or another because of stuff like CRT fears, or trans gender fears, or gay marriage fears are morons.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here’s the part you aren’t getting- it’s not Cletus in the sticks that’s losing you this election (he’s voting GOP and always will unless he doesn’t vote) it’s my friend from law school that lives in NOVA that worries about her daughters at school and doesn’t like TMac telling her she should butt out of their education and doesn’t like the insinuation that she might be racist. We had this actual conversation yesterday morning (via text). She said she doesn’t like any of the politicians but she really doesn’t like TMac and she’s not voting for him to “keep the state blue” she’s voting against him bc he’s a tone deaf jerk and she can hardly wait for the election to be over so she doesn’t have to hear about it anymore. . 
that’s the votes that swung this election.  It’s not major. It’s not a sea change. It’s 5% here and 7% there and less of your base showing up and more of their base showing up and all of a sudden a 20 point win is a 2 point loss.
it doesn’t say anything about governance or policy or where America is- it says don’t be going with the narrative that people who want to be present for their childrens education are racist, don’t use terms like latinx or birthing person. It’s all the shit Carville rants about. And cabriole is smart he’s not talking about Cletus and QAnon being lost he’s talking about suburbanites feeling condescended to.  

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Your friend is as much a victim of propaganda as this veteran is. When asked for a specific stance, it's nothing but emotional rhetoric with no basis in reality.

Weaponized victimhood has been coopted by the right from their evangelical base .

14 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Dude- just because people didn’t vote the way you voted doesn’t make them stupid or a bumpkin. It’s ok for people to have a different opinion on things than you do without them being an idiot. You probably don’t have a lot of moderate or republican friends or if you do, you don’t know who they are because you’re a difficult person to have a political conversation with because you can’t keep it congenial. 

you rag on people for voting for a party without investigating the issues. You realize that both bases do that right? The dems have inner city African Americans and college educated white men that will vote for them no matter who is running. The republicans have middle class white folks that will vote for them regardless of who is running. The suburban white women are swinging these elections based on their feelings.

Ross Douthat's article this morning is insightful and explains the dynamics well, I think. See bolded paragraph in particular.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/03/opinion/virginia-democrats-republicans.html

Spoiler

Republicans Schooled the Left in Virginia

After Terry McAuliffe stumbled to defeat in a state that Joe Biden won by 10 points exactly one year ago tonight, a mild suggestion seems in order: Democrats probably need a new way to talk about progressive ideology and education.

In the Virginia race, the script for both candidates was straightforward and consistent: Glenn Youngkin attacked critical race theory, combining it with a larger attack on how the education bureaucracy has handled the Covid pandemic, while McAuliffe denied that anything like C.R.T. was being taught in Virginia schools and also insisted that the whole controversy was a racist dog whistle.

The problem with the McAuliffe strategy is that it fell back on technicalities — as in, yes, fourth graders in the Commonwealth of Virginia are presumably not being assigned the academic works of Derrick Bell — while evading the context that has made this issue part of a polarizing national debate.

That context, obvious to any sentient person who lived through the last few years, is an ideological revolution in elite spaces in American culture, in which concepts heretofore associated with academic progressivism have permeated the language of many important institutions, from professional guilds and major foundations to elite private schools and corporate H.R. departments.

Critical race theory is an imperfect term for this movement, too narrow and specialized to capture its full complexity. But a new form of racecraft clearly lies close to the heart of the new progressivism, with the somewhat different, somewhat overlapping ideas of figures like Ibram X. Kendi and Robin DiAngelo enjoying particular influence. And that influence extends into schools and public-education bureaucracies, where Kendi and DiAngelo and their epigones often show up on resources recommended to educators — like the racial-equity reading list sent around in 2019 by one state educational superintendent, for instance, which recommended both DiAngelo’s “White Fragility” and an academic treatise on the “Foundations of Critical Race Theory in Education.”

That superintendent was responsible for Virginia’s public schools.

Now progressives will counter that the backlash that may have helped carry Youngkin to victory (and it’s certainly only one factor among many) isn’t just about these texts and ideologies but about a broader discomfort with any tough truth-telling about America’s racist past, whether it takes the form of Toni Morrison novels or Norman Rockwell paintings. And they’re right that the anti-C.R.T. movement has combined a set of moderate and even liberal objections to the new progressivism — objections that show up in super-liberal New York as well as suburban Loudoun County, Virginia — with an older style of objections to talking about slavery and segregation at all.

But progressives can’t isolate and attack the second kind of objection unless they find a way to address the first kind as well, especially when it comes from voters (including minority voters) who may have supported Hillary Clinton or Biden but feel unsettled by the ideas filtering down into their kids’ classrooms in the last few years. And the McAuliffe approach isn’t going to cut it: You can tell people that C.R.T. is a right-wing fantasy all you want, but this debate was actually instigated not by right-wing parents but by an ideological transformation on the left.

So Democratic politicians may need to decide what they actually think about the ideas that have swept elite cultural institutions in the last few years. Maybe those ideas are worth defending. Maybe Kendi and DiAngelo are worth celebrating. Maybe school superintendents who recommend their work should be praised for doing so.

If so, Democrats should say so, and fight boldly on that line. But if not, then Democratic politicians in contested states, facing Republican attacks on education policy and looking at the unhappy example of Virginia, should strongly consider acknowledging what I suspect a lot of them (and a lot of liberal pundits) really think: That the immediate future of the Democratic Party depends on its leaders separating themselves, to some extent, from academic jargon and progressive zeal.

As for what Republicans might learn from their Virginian triumph, the short version is this: The combination of a struggling Democratic administration and an overreaching cultural progressivism have created an immense political opportunity, and under current conditions you don’t actually need a Trump-like figure at the top of the ticket to mobilize Donald Trump’s core voters. Instead, with the right candidate and circumstances, you can hold your Trumpist base and win back suburbanites as well.

The problem is that the core Trumpian constituency still wants Trump to lead the party, on pure own-the-liberals grounds if nothing else. But maybe, just maybe, the solution is for the party’s less-Trumpy constituencies to rally around on alternative whose electoral lib-owning just put Trump’s 2020 showing to shame.

Yes, that’s probably a fantasy, but at the very least a certain kind of Republican donor and consultant will wake up this morning from a very pleasant dream — of Glenn Youngkin’s 2021 campaign, run as a presidential race in 2024.

Edited by KYHorn

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would like examples of where children in VA public schools are being told they are racists with this whole CRT stuff.  If you have them great, I am truly interested because I don't think that should be taught that way in schools.  If you don't have them then I would say your law school friend is a fucking moron if that is the reason they voted the way they did.  Not saying they should have voted one way or the other just that if that is "the reason" they are dumb.  I am not an east coast elitist but I can call someone an idiot if they do idiotic stuff.  Someone that votes one way or another because of stuff like CRT fears, or trans gender fears, or gay marriage fears are morons.  

It’s not CRT with her and she’s not an idiot. She’s smart and practical. She voted for Clinton, W, Obama, 3rd party and Biden. She’s a cafeteria catholic married to an agnostic. She is the nicest human being I know. Those are the swing voters in the suburbs.  (and there’s less than 20% probably like 10 or 15%) that vote this way. 
it wasn’t CRT. It was - “we don’t want parents deciding what should be to taught in school”. 
It’s a terrible line. Absolutely awful. And it got punished. By a guy in Youngkin whose likely a country club republican where pairing him as Trump junior fell flat bc it didn’t resonate and probably isn’t accurate. 

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The voters aren't rubes! They're very wise to the dangers of gay marriage, transexuals in bathrooms, and the absolute wickedness of Critical Race Theory! Why condescend when you can pander and rabble rouse? Guns! Guns! Guns!

This is something that has bugged the shit out of me for years - hearing the amount of hate that Republicans have for gays/gay marriage, transexuals, etc.

When I hear some Trump supporter railing against gay marriage and how it's going to ruin marriage, and I'm thinking "you voted for a guy who cheated on multiple wives, who has been married three time and you want to talk about what is ruining the institution of marriage?"

I just don't get the hate the Republicans have for gays and transexuals.  I mean, get the hate from the simpleminded Republicans who faithfully hate what they are told to hate by the politicians and talking heads on Fox News.  But I don't get the hate for them from the more educated and/or rational types.

Dan Patrick fucking hates these people and openly tries to use his office to punish them.  Every accusation or something I suppose.

Just now, Bravo said:

well, sorta but counties also flipped and soccer moms flipped so not totally true. So a demographic also flipped.

Prepare yourselves for 2022.    It's going to be a bloodbath.

Oh, and be ready to say hello to President Trump in 2024.  

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It white peoples' feelings, stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would like examples of where children in VA public schools are being told they are racists with this whole CRT stuff.  If you have them great, I am truly interested because I don't think that should be taught that way in schools.

Yeah, I'd like to see where school districts are teaching that whites are racist, inside or outside of VA.

I will say that the people I know who bitch the loudest about CRT are also against certain aspects of our history being taught in schools, whether it be the causes of the Civil War or whatever. 

Hell, I'm surprised that Abbott or Patrick haven't ordered the Declaration of Causes to be scrubbed from the Texas.gov website, because it makes a lot of people uncomfortable what the Texas leadership thought in 1861.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

inb4 creationism is taught alongside the evolution as equally scientifically valid theories. Can't wait for kids to learn about the war of northern aggression against southern heritage either

Relax, it was purely spin on his dick stepping faux pas. I’m a huge proponent of our kids getting as much information as possible, including uncomfortable subjects. Not particularly concerned if mine learn it at school, home, or with some of the secondary education we’ve set up, but it would be nice to have an educated generation of kids growing right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good points that it's easy to blame trumpkins' ignorance or CRT but the economy is a big deal. I have 100% non-political friends that comment on things being more expensive and their response is Thanks Biden. I could spend an hour explaining to them that one could easily point to Trump policies finally taking hold in the economy but that doesn't matter. The GOP has won the rhetoric that everyone blames Biden for everything when he's 10 months into his term. 

And honesty, he needs to own it. We've seen past Presidents only want to blame their predecessor for problems but that isn't how the job is supposed to work. Whether you like it or not, it's now our problem to handle. 

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Your friend is as much a victim of propaganda as this veteran is. When asked for a specific stance, it's nothing but emotional rhetoric with no basis in reality.

Weaponized victimhood has been coopted by the right from their evangelical base .

TIL that the right has “weaponized victimhood”. I wonder who they learned that from?

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe. A lot depends on how much Trump starts to interject himself, or run.  Hell, we don't even know if Biden is going to run again.

I still don't think Trump wants the Presidency again - he stands to make more money outside of it, and he wants much less of a spotlight on himself and his business.

What is most profitable for Trump is to control the GOP purse strings and play kingmaker.  He's been trying to do both things, with very little success in either.  Yes, his PAC(s) are siphoning away some money from the GOP, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people giving to his PACs don't normally give to Republicans (or politicians in general). 

I have not looked at the current structure of the GOP leadership, but ideally for Trump, it would be populated by his minions who can funnel money to his properties (by way of renting them out for meetings, rallies, etc.).

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good points that it's easy to blame trumpkins' ignorance or CRT but the economy is a big deal. I have 100% non-political friends that comment on things being more expensive and their response is Thanks Biden. I could spend an hour explaining to them that one could easily point to Trump policies finally taking hold in the economy but that doesn't matter. The GOP has won the rhetoric that everyone blames Biden for everything when he's 10 months into his term. 

And honesty, he needs to own it. We've seen past Presidents only want to blame their predecessor for problems but that isn't how the job is supposed to work. Whether you like it or not, it's now our problem to handle. 

This has pissed me off since I started understanding politics and the economy when I was in high school 30 years ago.   Idiots that don't understand how economic policy takes 18-36 months to start being felt.  ALMOST NOTHING that occurs during the first 2 years of President's 1st term has anything to do with his policies or laws passed in those 2 years outside of a catastrophic natural disaster or war.   But fucktards in this country are too stupid to get it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I still don't think Trump wants the Presidency again - he stands to make more money outside of it, and he wants much less of a spotlight on himself and his business.

What is most profitable for Trump is to control the GOP purse strings and play kingmaker.  He's been trying to do both things, with very little success in either.  Yes, his PAC(s) are siphoning away some money from the GOP, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people giving to his PACs don't normally give to Republicans (or politicians in general). 

I have not looked at the current structure of the GOP leadership, but ideally for Trump, it would be populated by his minions who can funnel money to his properties (by way of renting them out for meetings, rallies, etc.).

Last night was really bad news for Trump. Republicans flipped Virginia because they kept him at arms length. There’s now a clear path for them to regain control, he’s toast. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, this gets back to my Dems are bad at politics take. The Dems will never fucking understand the importance of messaging.  They don't need to get in the weeds on this shit, but they need to say something, and they just haven't.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Prepare yourselves for 2022.    It's going to be a bloodbath.

Oh, and be ready to say hello to President Trump in 2024.  

I do hope you are wrong on the trump 24 thing. I don’t think there’s any way he doesn’t run or get the nom and that makes me sad. 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And then Democrats will crush the GOP.

Rinse, repeat.

It's become incredibly predictable.

Isn’t this how democracy should work? You should have the opportunity to change the government if you don’t like the way things are going? In my opinion, it’s too dangerous for one party to control presidency, senate and house. That party always fucks up trying to pander to the extremes of their base because they think they have a mandate and the midterms come along and correct…. as they should.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, this gets back to my Dems are bad at politics take. The Dems will never fucking understand the importance of messaging.  They don't need to get in the weeds on this shit, but they need to say something, and they just haven't.

Bingo.  They should have immediately come out with something like the GOP is scared to have their children learn about slavery, Jim Crow, and redlining, and think their children are such snowflakes they can't be exposed to those things.  Instead they just ignored it. The Dems need to be way more aggressive in their messaging, and stop letting the GOP get away with this bullshit.  Fucking call them on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If the republic is at stake do not put Terry fucking McAuliff up for state wide race in a blue state. 

Democrats inept? Impossible!

Still, there is a bigger issue facing American that they seemed tuned into a year ago.

And a last thing about the GOP. They run on hate and then claim they were put in office for love. They get elected queer-baiting, xenophophobia-rousing, and dog whistling racism. 

In office, they were elected because of the economy, education, and decency.

It's an old pattern, but it still works.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Democrats inept? Impossible!

Still, there is a bigger issue facing American that they seemed tuned into a year ago.

And a last thing about the GOP. They run on hate and then claim they were put in office for love. They get elected queer-baiting, xenophophobia-rousing, and dog whistling racism. 

In office, they were elected because of the economy, education, and decency.

It's an old pattern, but it still works.

You need the middle to win. You don’t get the middle by warning of the end of the republic and then running piece of shit candidates in places you should win.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Is gay marriage fears still a thing?

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Bingo.  They should have immediately come out with something like the GOP is scared to have their children learn about slavery, Jim Crow, and redlining, and think their children are such snowflakes they can't be exposed to those things.  Instead they just ignored it. The Dems need to be way more aggressive in their messaging, and stop letting the GOP get away with this bullshit.  Fucking call them on it.

My kids learned about slavery, and Jim Crow in school and no one has a problem with it because it’s part of history and no one wants to repeat those horrors. That’s not what CRT is and that’s not what those parents are upset about.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

My kids learned about slavery, and Jim Crow in school and no one has a problem with it because it’s part of history and no one wants to repeat those horrors. That’s not what CRT is and that’s not what those parents are upset about.

Then what is it that they’re upset about? You can only keep up this charade for so long before you forfeit your right to define the terms being used.

5 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

The lesson learned from this election is that people are highly suggestible and easily persuaded by con artists and would rather vote against their own interests and see lib tears than see their own situation improve, let alone their fellow man.

So your position is this election was won based on massive mobilization of the Qtard base, rather than the Dems putting up a loser?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

So your position is this election was won based on massive mobilization of the Qtard base, rather than the Dems putting up a loser?

I think it's both. McAuliffe was a shit candidate who ran a shit campaign and the national party didn't do him any favors by fucking around and doing nothing at all about anything for the past ten months. And the GOP used their CRT moral panic to mobilize a much larger percentage of their voters than the Dems could mobilize of their own.

• Hook 'Em 2