Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You're wanting me to agree with and accept your straw man CRT fears. None of your concerns are founded in reality, and when we talk about specifics and not general feelings and rhetoric it's consistently boiled down to "well I didn't know about Emmit Till!" or some other fundamental lack of knowledge on your part. Or conversely, your fears and concerns are NOT what CRT is about, and your fabrication of an alternate set of facts preempts any possible discussion.

It's just pure fucking propoganda. Should we start talking about how the nazis really weren't all that bad and the Holocaust didn't actually happen, like Texas school districts are starting to under new laws? Where does the rejection of reality end?

Okay. I'm just saying you'd do good to read what Longhornmatt said because in my opinion he very eloquently and pithily nailed the CRT issue as a political issue, which is what your question was in your post.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Youngkin won because the Democrats put a retread Candidate that the voters didn’t want . He went on record  stating parents shouldn’t be telling schools what they should be teaching.  And while parents shouldn’t be dictating the academic curriculum other than demanding it be as rigorous as possible, they do have the fucking right to protest schools teaching topics (right or wrong) they don’t agree with.

His comment is the typical govt knows best , and you’re just a bunch of rubes shut up and sit down. Fuck that noise.

That I’ll advised and arrogant as fuck  comment alone probably cost him the election.

it wasn’t abortion rights  or trotting out trump.

it was a pendulum swing from Biden and the Democrats because of the current situation people are laying at mr. Biden’s feet.

I have no problem with CRT when kept as a history class topic.  We need an honest accounting of our history. 

Posters right here said Mc Auliffe  sucked, but dammit you’re an idiot for not voting for him.. MENSA right there … and typical partisan rhetoric.

EDIT : Sorry if it doesn’t fit your view of the world pen, but not sure you live in the real world anyway.

Nothing on the Louden County school cover up?

• Hook 'Em 1

Oversimplistic maybe, but when you don't have a united party (hmm only about 2 holdouts, beholden to pharma/oil) so that you can't pass wildly popular initiatives, you turn off the people who went to the extreme measures to vote for you, and they're like, nope why the fuck bother, and they let the olds lead the vote with all the disastrous results you'd imagine 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Okay. I'm just saying you'd do good to read what Longhornmatt said because in my opinion he very eloquently and pithily nailed the CRT issue as a political issue, which is what your question was in your post.

And I'm saying that every time we get into specifically just what it is about CRT that's got the "all/blue lives matter" folks so scared... It turns out to be bullshit propoganda that is not what is happening in the real world. 

And the political issue is that the republican party has a platform level stance in opposition to any form of critical thinking. So y'all are highly likely to buy into "people are saying" and "many are concerned" type of hollow rhetoric. And the dems are too up their own asses to realize y'all don't even give a shit that you're completely wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Oversimplistic maybe, but when you don't have a united party (hmm only about 2 holdouts, beholden to pharma/oil) so that you can't pass wildly popular initiatives, you turn off the people who went to the extreme measures to vote for you, and they're like, nope why the fuck bother, and they let the olds lead the vote with all the disastrous results you'd imagine 

That’s what you want to think but I don’t think that’s reality at all. You didn’t lose because you don’t get enough transformative legislation passed you lost because you lost Bill Maher and Dave Chapelle and let the woke mob cancel culture run amok. Americans don’t pay attention to substantive legislative shit/ it’s big broad strokes and the big broad strokes are against you when you lose guys like Maher. 
This is my take. It’s honest. It might be wrong but it’s my analysis of the election- just America doesn’t want to be transformed they want shit to stay more or less the same. 
YMMV. I might be wrong- that’s my sense of the electorate. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s what you want to think but I don’t think that’s reality at all. You didn’t lose because you don’t get enough transformative legislation passed you lost because you lost Bill Maher and Dave Chapelle and let the woke mob cancel culture run amok. Americans don’t pay attention to substantive legislative shit/ it’s big broad strokes and the big broad strokes are against you when you lose guys like Maher. 
This is my take. It’s honest. It might be wrong but it’s my analysis of the election- just America doesn’t want to be transformed they want shit to stay more or less the same. 
YMMV. I might be wrong- that’s my sense of the electorate. 

So the dems lost because people on the internet were mean to Dave Chappelle? That's some top shelf shit you're enjoying this evening, wulaw. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So the dems lost because people on the internet were mean to Dave Chappelle? That's some top shelf shit you're enjoying this evening, wulaw. 

You are making this about specifics. That’a not how this works imo. It’s about big general broad trends. Wokeness isn’t particularly popular as a theme imo. I’d bet on the opposite side. 
I might be wrong. That’s my take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d bet on the opposite side. 
I might be wrong. That’s my take. 

Can't disagree with you there. You can plow a car into a crowd of protesters and get away with it so long as you're fighting wokeness.

Damn those woke libtards for throwing shade on the internet and affecting little to no change in society!!

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think he is saying they lost because they keep trying to justify dumb bullshit to the masses and what mean shit ppl say. Instead of ignoring what Dave said and move on from it, they are getting sucked into the bs and blamed for it.

instead of saying critical race theory is a law school topic and nothing will be discussed in elementary school to taking about critical race theory what happened. They get sucked into and blamed for it 

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ask yourself this, how are the Republicans able to turn a made-up controversy (CRT) into an actual political movement (Parents for Youngkin) yet Democrats can't do the same with the First Responders and Educators that have been under attack since the pandemic? Everybody loves first responders, everybody loves educators, MAGA has been putting them through the wringer over the last year yet.....nothing from the Democrats. How the hell were they not able to politically capitalize on this? Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and ANTIFA was running up on kindergarten teachers and nurses?

This party sucks dick.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

I think he is saying they lost because they keep trying to justify dumb bullshit to the masses and what mean shit ppl say. Instead of ignoring what Dave said and move on from it, they are getting sucked into the bs and blamed for it.

instead of saying critical race theory is a law school topic and nothing will be discussed in elementary school to taking about critical race theory what happened. They get sucked into and blamed for it 

More or less. It’s a losing ground for them when they say Maher and Chappelle aren’t liberal enough. It’s a fringe position imo. It’s not persuasive to the middle of the population that still matters in elections. It’s not me saying America is conservative or likes the GOP. It’s america saying they don’t like the progressive fringe of the electorate. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

More or less. It’s a losing ground for them when they say Maher and Chappelle aren’t liberal enough. It’s a fringe position imo. It’s not persuasive to the middle of the population that still matters in elections. It’s not me saying America is conservative or likes the GOP. It’s america saying they don’t like the progressive fringe of the electorate. 

Maher has a lot of points where he tells them why they are losing and he gets shit on. They just won’t listen.

I mean what’s the current D message?

Democrats look for a reason not to vote and Rs need a reason to vote (critical race theory etc)

Dems need to just get rid of all Mask mandates and let Americans go back to normal, make it optional. Ppl with no vaccines die, let’s just say is that really bad?

Edited by Gengs1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who is saying that? Who is currently an office holder or candidate and making that argument? Please be specific here, or at least give a REAL and concrete example. 

My point is that y'all are voting based on your feels, and not based on actual policy outcome or actual reality of an issue. 

It sounds to me like y'all are just getting an amplified and dishonest representation of those grievances. That is of course, unless you can give me a less aggy answer than "it's just a feeling, I can't point to any specific thing"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Who is saying that? Who is currently an office holder or candidate and making that argument? Please be specific here, or at least give a REAL and concrete example. 

My point is that y'all are voting based on your feels, and not based on actual policy outcome or actual reality of an issue. 

It sounds to me like y'all are just getting an amplified and dishonest representation of those grievances. That is of course, unless you can give me a less aggy answer than "it's just a feeling, I can't point to any specific thing"

I think CNN said something interesting, "The problem with Democrats is they made this about Trump and Trump was not on the ballot. And this was the canary in the coal mine"

It sounds like this was a good wake up call, potentially, to pivot the message as Dems have wrung all the mileage out of the political position of alternative candidacy e.g. "anyone but Trump" or "anything is better than trump so vote for me".

Obviously the calculus changes in 2024 if Trump the man actually runs, but this might be an "a-ha!" for mid terms in 2022....you actually have to do/say something in 2022 instead of just be a warm bodied alternative to overt and obvious Trumpism.

CNN: "Democrats kept Trump at the center of their campaign and lost; Republicans kept him at arms length and won"

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean- so you not get that this is how people think and vote?  I’m not endorsing this, I’m saying this is how I feel like people behave. Politics is tribal (40/49’GOP and Dems) and gutteral (how the people that flip in the middle feel). This is how people vote imo. 

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think CNN said something interesting, "The problem with Democrats is they made this about Trump and Trump was not on the ballot. And this was the canary in the coal mine"

It sounds like this was a good wake up call, potentially, to pivot the message as Dems have wrung all the mileage out of the political position of alternative candidacy e.g. "anyone but Trump" or "anything is better than trump so vote for me".

Obviously the calculus changes in 2024 if Trump the man actually runs, but this might be an "a-ha!" for mid terms in 2022....you actually have to do/say something in 2022 instead of just be a warm bodied alternative to overt and obvious Trumpism.

Yep. And if it’s woke-ism vs blank slates the GOP wins going way imo. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Trumpkins and the GQP are batshit crazy and bad at governing, and their craziness and incompetence got people riled up when they were in charge.  

The Woke Brigade, however, is also batshit crazy and bad at governing, and now their craziness and incompetence are getting people riled up since they are in charge.  

Yes, I just made a “both sides” post.   But it doesn’t take a sinister plot to make Americans pissed off at the people in charge.  Everyone focus groups attack messages, and if you don’t understand how lots of people can be troubled in good faith by things like CRT without ascribing it to ignorance or dirty tricks then you’re as much in your bubble as the guy applauding Tucker Carlson every night.  

And I’ll preemptively suggest that saying, “Well, actually CRT in its academic form is defined as ______, so you and anyone else using it to describe what actually is happening in practice instead of what it’s supposed to mean must be a stupid racist rube” is not a great counter and campaign slogan.

Mostly this right here. The Democratic Party was handed a golden opportunity to position themselves as the party of good governance and competence both in messaging and policy and for the most part have completely failed to do that. And the Republicans will gleefully help them along, make no mistake.

And all politics is national right now. Case in point: News headlines are overwhelmed with stories abut port backups, you can’t buy a new car or get an Amazon package by Christmas, and the price of gas is spiraling while POTUS’ approval craters. And the Progressive block refuses to give the Dems an easy layup on a popular issue (infrastructure) at a key time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

She's not centrist at all, and Manchin hasn't done shit for the Dems.  In fact, if Youngkin wins, I give it a week or two when he bails to the Republican brand.  Be proactive and boot their asses now, and call them out publicly for why.  Again, don't let them control the message.  I totally expect this all to fail because it's what the Dems do.  

Voluntarily going into opposition in the Senate is a creative method of advancing a Democratic legislative agenda, I will admit that. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

FYI, the PMs of Finland and New Zealand are women who are younger than 40.

The PM of Finland represents the Social Democratic Party which received less than 20 percent of the vote in the last election. And, she replaced the 58 year old dude who led his party to “victory” of sorts in 2019 after he had to resign due to his handling of a postal worker strike. 

Not saying she and Arden aren’t inspiring or that women and young people shouldn’t have more representation. I am saying that the experience of a tiny, ethnically homogenous Nordic state and a tiny Pacific Island state with proportional parliamentary systems might not be directly relevant to parties contesting in a 300 odd million superpower with a winner takes all system. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

And all politics is national right now. Case in point: News headlines are overwhelmed with stories abut port backups, you can’t buy a new car or get an Amazon package by Christmas, and the price of gas is spiraling while POTUS’ approval craters. And the Progressive block refuses to give the Dems an easy layup on a popular issue (infrastructure) at a key time. 

I know it's a meme I used twice, but the Bernie meme is what this whole paragraph is about.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- so you not get that this is how people think and vote?  I’m not endorsing this, I’m saying this is how I feel like people behave. Politics is tribal (40/49’GOP and Dems) and gutteral (how the people that flip in the middle feel). This is how people vote imo. 

No no, I'm very aware that how you feel overrides what your lying eyes tell you if you've been inundated with enough propoganda.

You're doing an excellent job of demonstrating my point that gop voters are jumping at ghosts and being useful idiots for the Republicans. The fact that the republicans are winning races on boogeymen non-issues is a harbinger for further regression and damage to our democracy. 

Seriously, can any of you right leaning folks point to one single REAL concern with CRT? Something that's more than "bigly many people bad CRT big badda boom"?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As always bringing truth. Well said. All of this is good in my opinion 

40 always Dems, 40 always GOP, 20 In the middle just wants no one to go too far one way or another and doesn’t want the boat rocked or fundamental change imo. 

Moderation is what we really should be trying to achieve. People who want to move things too far to the left or right are the problem that makes the trouble for everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No no, I'm very aware that how you feel overrides what your lying eyes tell you if you've been inundated with enough propoganda.

You're doing an excellent job of demonstrating my point that gop voters are jumping at ghosts and being useful idiots for the Republicans. The fact that the republicans are winning races on boogeymen non-issues is a harbinger for further regression and damage to our democracy. 

Seriously, can any of you right leaning folks point to one single REAL concern with CRT? Something that's more than "bigly many people bad CRT big badda boom"?

You realize a lot of these are the same voters who voted for Obama and Biden, right? The economy was #1. It's why this wasn't just a local VA phenomenon. Congratulations to VA electing the 1st woman of color to statewide office and Hispanic. Both Republicans. Fairly eclectic ticket. 

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Mostly this right here. The Democratic Party was handed a golden opportunity to position themselves as the party of good governance and competence both in messaging and policy and for the most part have completely failed to do that. And the Republicans will gleefully help them along, make no mistake.

This, this, this, this.  Combined with the fact the VA election always swings the other way, Tmac was an uninspiring retread, and Youngkin ran a brilliant campaign.

The Dems look like what they are always accused of being: hearts in the right place, but old and incompetent.  It started with Afghanistan, rolled through the fall with the congressional infighting, and is surging with inflation and supply chain.

Enough freshly minted exurb and suburban voters flipped back to their natural GOP tendencies to go with the raging rural white vote to break the successful VA Democratic winning coalition.  Whether those voters will stay pink when Donald Trump is rampaging around the country next fall screaming about Kamala Harris or whatever is a totally different story.

The Democrats need to take a couple of days, stream line the BBB to whatever Manchin wants, and pass the two bills.  Then do everything you can to fix the economy and hope the pocketbook narrative turns by next fall.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

You realize a lot of these are the same voters who voted for Obama and Biden, right? The economy was #1. It's why this wasn't just a local VA phenomenon. Congratulations to VA electing the 1st woman of color to statewide office and Hispanic. Both Republicans. Fairly eclectic ticket. 

Lol I'm surprised you rolled back around here. Try to keep the disinformation down, yeah?

I'm not really sold on your assertion there champ. From all the coverage I've read, it seems like ginned up CRT boogeymen fears were more of a motivating factor that the hangover from trumps "reopen in the middle of wave 2 of COVID" and trillions of stimulus economic policy

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol I'm surprised you rolled back around here. Try to keep the disinformation down, yeah?

I'm not really sold on your assertion there champ. From all the coverage I've read, it seems like ginned up CRT boogeymen fears were more of a motivating factor that the hangover from trumps "reopen in the middle of wave 2 of COVID" and trillions of stimulus economic policy

Well, look at the exit polls. #1 issue economy. It's why this was not just a VA phenomenon. People are voting with their pocketbooks being hurt by inflation and frustrated with supply chain issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Stock market isn't the economy everyday voters feel and the stock market is on steroids during inflation. You think people are more concerned with fortune 1000 companies having a great bottom line vs paying an extra $100 at the pump a month and another $100 at the grocery store while having their lives disrupted by supply chain issues? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Stock market isn't the economy everyday voters feel and the stock market is on steroids during inflation. You think people are more concerned with fortune 1000 companies having a great bottom line vs paying an extra $100 at the pump a month and another $100 at the grocery store while having their lives disrupted by supply chain issues? 

Guess I should have used the sarcasm font.

And I'm sure Gov. Youngkin will get right on that supply chain stuff and the price of oil.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Guess I should have used the sarcasm font.

And I'm sure Gov. Youngkin will get right on that supply chain stuff and the price of oil.

Lol

Nobody really knows what kind of governor he’s gonna be, tbh.  If he goes sober, fiscally conservative daddy like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan, he may be able to revive the VA GOP prospects.  If he goes Greg Abbott, he’s likely to get his shit pushed in 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

You red hats sure made hay every time the Dow hit a new record. Are you telling me that y'all were just mindlessly cheering on whatever the Party and Dear Leader told you to?

Tbh, I really don't think anything is gonna change until shit gets even worse. The gqp al quaeda isn't hurting enough yet, and they still believe anything they're told by tucker more than their lying eyes. 

Right now, you've got high school educated farmers advocating for turning on oil pipelines for no policy reason besides "oil good regulation bad", nevermind that it's not exactly the decision of the VA governor to do so. 

The boomer-esque pride in being so confidently wrong and moving the goalposts to match your agenda is really getting tiring. 

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Desantis opened his ports to help California docks. Fuck, might try to do the same in VA.

Lulz so you DO want big government telling private businesses what to do? That's quite a pivot from your previous position. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Desantis opened his ports to help California docks. Fuck, might try to do the same in VA.

In a world of dumbass comments, this is particularly stupid.  The ports were never closed.  

Also, Florida’s ports are designed for Florida specific shipping, not National distribution.  Savannah, Newport, Baltimore, and NY/NJ are the major East Coast hubs for trucking and trains.  And every port in the Eastern seaboard is fucking chockerblock right now.  I drove through Richmond last week and even their podunk port had containers stacked to the sky.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You red hats sure made hay every time the Dow hit a new record. Are you telling me that y'all were just mindlessly cheering on whatever the Party and Dear Leader told you to?

Tbh, I really don't think anything is gonna change until shit gets even worse. The gqp al quaeda isn't hurting enough yet, and they still believe anything they're told by tucker more than their lying eyes. 

Right now, you've got high school educated farmers advocating for turning on oil pipelines for no policy reason besides "oil good regulation bad", nevermind that it's not exactly the decision of the VA governor to do so. 

The boomer-esque pride in being so confidently wrong and moving the goalposts to match your agenda is really getting tiring. 

Lulz so you DO want big government telling private businesses what to do? That's quite a pivot from your previous position. 

What, opening docks to relieve supply chain issues. Unless Desantis is telling them they have to use their docks and not California's, or suffer the consequences. Im not hearing about it if that's the case. Hell, I don't even like how he's forcing businesses to not be able to make a vax mandate. That's their choice, not the state's.

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

In a world of dumbass comments, this is particularly stupid.  The ports were never closed.  

Also, Florida’s ports are designed for Florida specific shipping, not National distribution.  Savannah, Newport, Baltimore, and NY/NJ are the major East Coast hubs for trucking and trains.  And every port in the Eastern seaboard is fucking chockerblock right now.  I drove through Richmond last week and even their podunk port had containers stacked to the sky.

I never said they were. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-governor-ron-desantis-offers-state-ports-to-help-end-supply-chain-crisis/ar-AAPA01S

“We look at some of the supply issues happening in California they can come here. We will cut the red tape. We will work with our ports,” said the governor.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

Well, look at the exit polls. #1 issue economy. It's why this was not just a VA phenomenon. People are voting with their pocketbooks being hurt by inflation and frustrated with supply chain issues. 

the average American household’s balance sheet has never been stronger. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

I never said they were. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I never said they were. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-governor-ron-desantis-offers-state-ports-to-help-end-supply-chain-crisis/ar-AAPA01S

“We look at some of the supply issues happening in California they can come here. We will cut the red tape. We will work with our ports,” said the governor.

governor-ron-desantis-offers-state-ports-to-help-end-supply-chain-crisis/ar-AAPA01S

Are you really stupid enough to fall for a Politician doing blatantly PR thing for attention that has no practical effect?

Why would a I take the time to traverse a pacific container ship through the Panama Canal, then send it to Florida instead of Houston?

• Hook 'Em 7