New Spoon record - "Lucifer on the Sofa"

oSuJeff97

22 hours ago, Stringer said:

I can't think of a more consistent band than Spoon.  I think that's why they're not talked about as much as they should. 

Water is life sustaining and ubiquitous, but you don't talk about it until it has turbidity in it.

Yeah every single album has been legit good.

Even a band like, say, Wilco, has put out records that the fans/critics are kind of "meh" on... I feel like every Spoon record the fans and critics all are like, "Yep... another great Spoon record..."

Got my shipping notification on orange/black (Go Pokes!) vinyl. Can't wait to spin this.

6 minutes ago, stc said:

mostly agree, but hot thoughts is pretty weak.

Man, I love that record.  "Do I Have To Talk You Into It?" makes their top 10, easy.  

It's nice to see the national press come around to their remarkable longevity and consistency.  Somewhere along the way they went from "indie-rock influencers" to "rock superstars", the latter which is surely not born out by sales $, but at least it's a justifiable tip of the cap.  I engineered their first EP, in Britt's living room, mostly because I knew Jim and they could afford me.  On Day One it was clear they had something going on.  People say they've changed over the years -- I don't think they have nearly so much as is assumed.  It's still Britt's whip smart songwriting and Jim's rock steady performance.  It was that way from the jump.  Those two are Spoon, the rest are session musicians, at least in my mind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, 4th&Five said:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

I can't imagine it will be better than Ga X 5 but I'm eagerly awaiting the release this week. I've really liked what I've heard so far.

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah every single album has been legit good.

Even a band like, say, Wilco, has put out records that the fans/critics are kind of "meh" on... I feel like every Spoon record the fans and critics all are like, "Yep... another great Spoon record..."

Got my shipping notification on orange/black (Go Pokes!) vinyl. Can't wait to spin this.

I think Wilco is the best US band since the late 1990's but Spoon isn't that far behind. I've not been all that enthused by Wilco's more recent releases either.

Didn't realize the album dropped. Heard the Hardest Cut earlier today on the radio. Listening now ill post my thoughts. 

Oh shit - just realized no one here has listened yet.

So yeah, it's out. Lol.

And uh... yeah... through 4 songs... this is pretty god damn dynamite. Getting some Petty vibes. (Also The Clash a bit - but they've kind of always done that)

Edited by ztejas

On 11/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, a mark of increased popularity would be transitioning to larger venues with larger paydays.  They're still kind of a large club, small theater band, outside of their festival shows.  It's still possible to have a "hit", which might not translate to huge streaming revenue or anything like that, but could land big ad promotion (think Black Pumas "Colors" and Target).  There's room for more earnings, that's for sure.

Spoon's biggest hits are behind them. Which is a shame - because "Wild" is in contention for the best track they've ever made in my book. I hadn't heard it until tonight and heard it for the first time within the context of the album. It's a phenomenal track. Y'all compared it to U2 - I maybe get that a little bit but it has much more soul than U2 ever did. And that was always one of Spoon's strong suits - they were fuckin soulful, man. They still are.

Super cool that you engineered their first EP - it's impossible to not be emotionally tied a bit after a connection like that. 

You used Black Pumas as an example. And I think it's a great example. Because I think it's an example of a much shittier band from the same town lucking into more commercial success. 

I'm not here to hate on Black Pumas but Spoon blows them out of the fucking water. Shit happens. Personally - as someone that dreams about finding success in that industry - I think Spoon is almost as lucky as lucky gets itself. How many bands like Spoon come through the door and never get a tenth of the break that they did? A lot. 

Smile because it happened - and because you were a part of it 😉

(But - you know what - this album just dropped. And I think it could spring up and surprise people. We'll see what happens)

Now I'm listening to Joshua Tree. Thanks. I was about to go to bed. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

I can't imagine it will be better than Ga X 5 but I'm eagerly awaiting the release this week. I've really liked what I've heard so far.

I think Wilco is the best US band since the late 1990's but Spoon isn't that far behind. I've not been all that enthused by Wilco's more recent releases either.

Yeah I'm with you. Wilco, Spoon and Old 97's have been consistently my three favorite bands for two decades now, which is crazy to think about.

I get that Old 97's aren't on the same creative plane as the former two, but I will just always love them.

I still do really like the newest Wilco stuff, but it's much more subdued and introspective than their earlier work. I know a lot of Wilco fans don't much like their stuff after A Ghost is Born, but Wilco (The Album) aside, I've really enjoyed most of it and think there are several great albums in there.  But then there's Wilco (The Album), which is almost completely forgettable (Bull Black Nova, notwithstanding).  To Spoon's credit, I don't think they've ever put out an album like that.  I even really enjoyed their detor into dance/electronic with They Want my Soul and Hot Thoughts.

As it were, I'm halfway through Lucifer on the Sofa and yeah... it's fucking GREAT. I don't know if it's up there with Ga, Gimme Fiction or Kill the Moonlight, but damn if it's not close.  Need to listen to it like 25 more times, lol.  Can't wait for my vinyl to get here... (not arriving until next Thursday) 

Edited by oSuJeff97

Pitchfork's review mentioned the U2 vibe in "Wild", so I'm not the only one on drugs.

I can't tell if my newsfeed is blowing up with hype for this record simply because I have googled Spoon a few times in the past few weeks, or if it's really going over the top.  I hope for the latter but I suspect the former.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

this is a really fucking great album. feels like the kind of record my favorite song is going to change every few listens but rather obsessed with 'feels alright' at the moment. 

and echo the thoughts on jimmyjazz and that first ep, that's awesome. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wish I worked downtown!

Spoon will celebrate the release of Lucifer On The Sofa with a hometown show at Antone's this Saturday, March 12, with Ryan Sambol opening. Tickets are on sale at the box office only starting TODAY, March 8th at 12 pm CST.

Box office details: Tickets are $30 and available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Antone’s box office (305 E 5th St, Austin, TX 78701) starting TODAY, March 8 at 12pm CST. There is a two-ticket limit per person, and tickets are non-transferable.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening tonight for the first time in awhile - hadn't revisited this thread since. 

On 2/12/2022 at 9:43 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Pitchfork's review mentioned the U2 vibe in "Wild", so I'm not the only one on drugs.

I wasn't trying to say I didn't hear the U2 in it - because I totally do - I was just trying to give Spoon some credit for being a bit different. Maybe I was consciously identifying the non-U2 aspects and brushing off the U2 inspired stuff.

Either way - I think Pitchfork fucking sucks and has for, I don't know, probably 5 years now (I'd have to read some reviews to pin it down). I'm curious and not being patronizing - do you still think they write decent shit? I think they jumped the shark a long time ago and have become extremely MSM and agendaed. 

--

That said - this is a super solid record and one I need to keep in mind a bit more. They sound so at peace and confident and happy. I get the "we're just gonna jam and if you like it, cool" vibe. Which is a great vibe when your jamming results in good shit. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Either way - I think Pitchfork fucking sucks and has for, I don't know, probably 5 years now (I'd have to read some reviews to pin it down). I'm curious and not being patronizing - do you still think they write decent shit? I think they jumped the shark a long time ago and have become extremely MSM and agendaed. 

No idea, I don't hardly ever read it (or any music mag).  I just saw the review come across my social media feed.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:27 AM, jimmyjazz said:

No idea, I don't hardly ever read it (or any music mag).  I just saw the review come across my social media feed.

Hah. I used to enjoy their stuff. And I think there was a period where they were easily the best music journalism publication/site when it came to what they wrote and the ratings they assigned. Like I said, I think they really lost the plot 5ish years ago and started getting really caught up in political narratives and corporate conflicts of interest. Conde Nast bought them in 2015. Hardly a coincidence I'd think. 

Also - as I get older - I tend to care less and less about how albums/artists are critically received. Although I will still check how older albums were critically received if it's either something I haven't heard before or something I'm trying to place within a spectrum of cultural importance or popular appeal.

--

The Guardian gave it 5 stars fwiw. Although the Guardian tends to be all over the fucking place in my experience. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/10/spoon-lucifer-on-the-sofa-review-timeless-perfection-from-us-indie-stalwarts

Edited by ztejas

• 4 weeks later...

where's the rescheduled austin date from nye? on one hand i'm glad i got the chance to digest this album before hearing these songs live...but damn give us a date already that doesn't involve being downtown on a weekday at noon to purchase tickets. 

still loving the shit out of this album though. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grammy Awards are bullshit anyway, but I just saw that Lucifer on the Sofa had been up for Rock Album of the Year. . . and lost to Ozzy?  Spoon's album is a classic with several of their best songs to date.  Put the Prince of Darkness in the rock and roll old folks home with Ronnie James Dio and make way for bands making today's music.

• 6 months later...
Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Jim just moved back to the east coast, but he says they're not done.  They collectively live all over the place.

Saw some interviews with Britt and he mentions living in Austin, Portland, and NYC over the years. 

Picked up a signed Lucifer on the Sofa album from the whole band. Need to figure out where to hang it.