Texas vs TLU- tonight, 7:30 on LHN

shadow_operative

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Would be pretty damn cool to win one in a sport we haven’t yet. 

Yep. I have always, since I was 6 years old and copying down brackets from tv by hand, loved March madness. I’d probably, all things being equal though, pick football national title over hoops as a general rule, but I’ve experienced the football national title so hoops national title is the only thing left on my sports fan bucket list. Was season ticket holder for Rockets when they went back to back. Astros obviously. Grew up in San Francisco going to 49er games with Montana and Rice and winning Super Bowls. Augie and his two. Vince. But a hole in my absolutely favorite event. Hope it happens. Sure looks like it could. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So is Askew's nickname gonna be "Li'l Jax" or "Sideshow Lite"?

Is that a perm, or is that Askew’s actual look?

28 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Licon is listed at 6' on the roster. Must be his Tinder height

Does Licon wax his eyebrows?

Licon is Cade Cunningham Jr.

Brandy Peeryman Jr’s 3-point touch is something. 

Also, hearing all the shit Beard is doing to get all the stakeholders on the same page and leverage every advantage we have here at UT just pisses me off.  It’s so easy  it’s so mind meltingly obvious.  Mack Brown did it and he built a monster as a guy that didn’t coach much but got that part of the job and he killed it.  He was the last football coach who did this.  We are so fucking dumb and deserve everything we get.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Derka and I are the only horns I know who would prefer our next national title to be in basketball rather than football. Anyone else feel this way? 
it could happen. I’m all in on Beard. This is gonna be fun. 

Honestly I want Volleyball next. It’s the soonest, and most deserved again. Then give me this basketball team, then baseball all by 2022.
  • Hook 'Em 5

This team is SOOOOO deep. The deepest of any Texas team I can remember. Whether the starting 5 are the most talented or not is debatable, but our second 5 would be reasonably competitive and have loads of starting experience.

Askew - 20 starts at UK, 5 star

Febres - 61 starts at UT

Tyson - Natl top-35 freshman

Disu - 48 starts, SEC leading rebounder

Mitchell - 41 starts, 1st team A10

Crap, our last guy off the bench is the 2nd all time leading scorer at Sul Ross.

Practices must be insane pitting these guys against each other and then having blue collar guys like Brock Cunningham and Avery Benson coming in and bloodying people up.  The most amazing thing will be keeping everyone happy if they aren’t getting many minutes.

49 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Honestly I want Volleyball next. It’s the soonest, and most deserved again. Then give me this basketball team, then baseball all by 2022.

Trying to think if anyone has ever doubled in baseball and basketball. Not sure it's ever happened. 

Just checked. Doesn’t look like it since '47 at least. 

Edited by ztejas

That shot of the Texas basketball team with the entire student section behind them at the Drum is awesome:

Been reading up on Chris Beard's work reviving the Texas basketball brand, the ways he's engaging students and embracing all former coaches and players. I haven't been this excited for Texas basketball in while.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, SEC said:

That shot of the Texas basketball team with the entire student section behind them at the Drum is awesome:

Been reading up on Chris Beard's work reviving the Texas basketball brand, the ways he's engaging students and embracing all former coaches and players. I haven't been this excited for Texas basketball in while.

God those salty Tech fans hijacking that post fuels me! 

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

God those salty Tech fans hijacking that post fuels me! 

I love how like they pretend they have some great rabid basketball fan base.  We’ve outdrawn them in per game attendance something like 17 of the last 20 years.  And the three years they outdrew us — well the reason for that now coaches at Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

This team is SOOOOO deep. The deepest of any Texas team I can remember. Whether the starting 5 are the most talented or not is debatable, but our second 5 would be reasonably competitive and have loads of starting experience.

Askew - 20 starts at UK, 5 star

Febres - 61 starts at UT

Tyson - Natl top-35 freshman

Disu - 48 starts, SEC leading rebounder

Mitchell - 41 starts, 1st team A10

Crap, our last guy off the bench is the 2nd all time leading scorer at Sul Ross.

Practices must be insane pitting these guys against each other and then having blue collar guys like Brock Cunningham and Avery Benson coming in and bloodying people up.  The most amazing thing will be keeping everyone happy if they aren’t getting many minutes.

When it's all said and done I'm pretty sure Disu and Mitchell will be starting. Bishop was one of the 1st transfers Beard got and probably didn't anticipate Beard bringing in 3 more bigs who are clearly more offensively skilled than him. So Beard has his hands full maintaining a positive outlook for him. I'd gather starting him last night is part of that process.

If Tyson  can raise his intensity on the the defensive end and minimize the mental lapses there as well, he'll play a prominent role later in the season. That kid oozes talent. He seems like a Jarret Culver special and could possibly be our primary scorer next year. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I love how like they pretend they have some great rabid basketball fan base.  We’ve outdrawn them in per game attendance something like 17 of the last 20 years.  And the three years they outdrew us — well the reason for that now coaches at Texas.  

Nope, jokes on you buddy- Mark Adams was the real reason Tech outdrew us those years. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When it's all said and done I'm pretty sure Disu and Mitchell will be starting.

I think the only ones we can guarantee will be starting are Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen and Andrew Jones.  Whether we go small with Allen at the 4 or big with him at the 3 remains to be seen.  I personally like going smaller like we did last night and especially think we will need Ramey's shooting and perimeter defense. But I can also see it looking like this:

Starters

• PG - Marcus Carr
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Timmy Allen
  • PF - Dylan Disu
  • C - Tre Mitchell

Bench

• PG - Devin Askew
  • SG - Courtney Ramey
  • SF - Jase Febres
  • PF - Jaylon Tyson / Brock Cunningham
  • PF - Christian Bishop

Which still proves my point that the 2nd unit is salty AF.  Askew looked like the real deal to me last night. It wouldn't surprise me if the above 2nd unit beat the starters on any given day.  

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When it's all said and done I'm pretty sure Disu and Mitchell will be starting. Bishop was one of the 1st transfers Beard got and probably didn't anticipate Beard bringing in 3 more bigs who are clearly more offensively skilled than him. So Beard has his hands full maintaining a positive outlook for him. I'd gather starting him last night is part of that process.

If Tyson  can raise his intensity on the the defensive end and minimize the mental lapses there as well, he'll play a prominent role later in the season. That kid oozes talent. He seems like a Jarret Culver special and could possibly be our primary scorer next year. 

I think part of keeping Bishop happy is the likelihood at least Disu declares after this year if not Mitchell too, so he’ll be starting next year on top of being the third big and playing 20+ minutes a game. 

Tyson has so much potential. He was a great take. I could absolutely see him being a key bench guy for this team by March. 

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the only ones we can guarantee will be starting are Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen and Andrew Jones.  Whether we go small with Allen at the 4 or big with him at the 3 remains to be seen.  I personally like going smaller like we did last night and especially think we will need Ramey's shooting and perimeter defense. But I can also see it looking like this:

Starters

• PG - Marcus Carr
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Timmy Allen
  • PF - Dylan Disu
  • C - Tre Mitchell

Bench

• PG - Devin Askew
  • SG - Courtney Ramey
  • SF - Jase Febres
  • PF - Jaylon Tyson / Brock Cunningham
  • PF - Christian Bishop

Which still proves my point that the 2nd unit is salty AF.  Askew looked like the real deal to me last night. It wouldn't surprise me if the above 2nd unit beat the starters on any given day.  

I don’t think Jones is anywhere near a guaranteed starter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think Jones is anywhere near a guaranteed starter.

I think he is.  Carr is the starting PG and Timmy Allen is going to start at the 3 or 4.  Jones is our best SG and our 2nd best SF.  If we go big, Jones will start at the 2.  If we go small, Jones will start at the 3 (with Allen at the 4).  Who do you envision starting over him in either scenario?  

The only scenario I can see is starting Askew and Carr at the two guard spots with Allen as the SF.  But I would much rather bring Askew off the bench with Ramey.

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think he is.  Carr is the starting PG and Timmy Allen is going to start at the 3 or 4.  Jones is our best SG and our 2nd best SF.  If we go big, Jones will start at the 2.  If we go small, Jones will start at the 3 (with Allen at the 4).  Who do you envision starting over him in either scenario?  

The only scenario I can see is starting Askew and Carr at the two guard spots with Allen as the SF.  But I would much rather bring Askew off the bench with Ramey.

I think both Jones and Askew have a good shot at starting at the 2, especially since Jones is a better fit than them at backup 3. Since both Disu and Mitchell are above average 3 point shooters, I expect Allen to start the 3 most nights, unless matchups dictate we go small every once in a while. 

I dont think Allen is a guaranteed starter by the time we get to conference play.  The only guys who are guaranteed by that time are Mitchell, Carr, & Disu. Outside of those 3, I can see any 2 of Allen, Jones, or Ramey starting.  Just depends on whether Beard prefers offensive spacing over pounding the offensive boards. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Beard will give Jones a fair shot to remain the starter… his defensive effort and shot selection will be what determines whether he is moved to the bench.

I can see Ramey and/or askew starting over Jones and eating into his minutes if he plays soft, uninspired defense like he often did last year.

Ramey and Cunningham are more Beard type players, but Jones has the physical skill to stay as a starter if he plays like a 5th year senior… he looked a bit lost in the scrap last night, but it’s not even game one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think Allen is a guaranteed starter by the time we get to conference play.  The only guys who are guaranteed by that time are Mitchell, Carr, & Disu. Outside of those 3, I can see any 2 of Allen, Jones, or Ramey starting.  Just depends on whether Beard prefers offensive spacing over pounding the offensive boards. 

Allen will be most definitely be starting every game in conference play so long as he’s healthy enough to play or goes on some crazy multi game, double digit shots with zero points tear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Idk where you’re getting any of this from, but I have a hard time seeing any scenario where Jones is more likely to start than Allen, who was All-PAC first team last year. 

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Idk where you’re getting any of this from, but I have a hard time seeing any scenario where Jones is more likely to start than Allen, who was All-PAC first team last year. 

I do also think Allen will start.

Our starting lineup should include 3 or 4 First or Second Team all-conference players - Disu probably would have been had he not gotten injury (SEC leading rebounder) and the other could be Askew, if not AJ1.   The talent.  

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Fair, but I’m not sure All PAC 1st team is actually better than All Big 12 2nd team, which Jones achieved last year.

Regardless, both are better than Ramey and TONS better than Cunningham.

I hear you but Allen is an undersized big who can't shoot. Yes he was the best player on a garbage team and is great around basket, but like Shareef Abdur-Raheem on the mid 90s early 00s Hawks, someone had to score the points.  I'm not saying he definitely won't start but I can't see him starting over Mitchell and a healthy Dylan Disu. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn