McRib check in thread

immamac

There is a McDonalds in LaMarque.  As a kid, I have vivid and fond memories of 1) all-day fishing trips down to Galveston from our home in Houston.  We'd fish all day, having only eaten breakfast on the way down.  On the way back, we would be hungry as hell.  And if the McRib was back, for some reason, we would always stop at that McDonalds and get a McRib or two.  My dad was not a fast-food guy.  He knew good grub, and introduced me to a lot of it.  But for some reason, he liked that sammich.

They taste like fishing trips with my dad.  I need to get one.  Soon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I grew up in Northwest Austin and I remember one of my first school field trips downtown, we went to the Texas Memorial Museum, and afterward stopped off at a McDonald's for lunch.  The McRib had just come out, and this was the first time I'd ever had the freedom to order whatever I wanted at McDonald's, instead of my parents just ordering a plain burger for me.  I decided I wanted that McRib, and I ordered it with fries and a coke. And I'll be darned if it wasn't the most glorious thing in the world.

To me, the McRib tastes like 4th Grade Freedom.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Never had one until a few years ago, happened to see it on a rare McDonalds trip through a small town. I enjoyed it, but I get the sense its more about nostalgia for people who partook in the hype as a youngster, and I can totally respect that.

Nah. I probably didn't try it until my college years maybe. Maybe in high school.

I legitimately like it better than most any non-breakfast McDonald's fare. 

Just now, WillUSAF said:

McDonalds breakfast is pretty freakin good 

Yeah it still holds up and it can be had for very cheap unlike a lot of fast food at this point. Can get a sausage biscuit, sausage mcmuffin (without egg) and 2 hash browns for like $3.50 (although I haven't been in awhile - they may have changed it).

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah it still holds up and it can be had for very cheap unlike a lot of fast food at this point. Can get a sausage biscuit, sausage mcmuffin (without egg) and 2 hash browns for like $3.50 (although I haven't been in awhile - they may have changed it).

I'm a fan of the classic Egg McMuffin or a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. Can go wrong with your choices either!

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

Nah. I probably didn't try it until my college years maybe. Maybe in high school.

I legitimately like it better than most any non-breakfast McDonald's fare. 

This is me.

I haven't had a McDonald's anything other than breakfast in over 20 years.  

The McRib is actually pretty tasty.  It's some sort of glorious combo of the fake rib meat, sauce, pickles, onions and bread.  

This thread might get to hit the drive thru soon.

This thread has finally tempted me to try a McRib.  Never had one in all my years unless I ate one when I was 2yo, but I doubt they even existed. 

so two questions…how long does “McRib Season” last?  And based on how long they put ‘em on the smoker outside, do you recommend getting one at lunch or at dinner?  Like when are they best coming off the mesquite/oak?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

This thread has finally tempted me to try a McRib.  Never had one in all my years unless I ate one when I was 2yo, but I doubt they even existed. 

so two questions…how long does “McRib Season” last?  And based on how long they put ‘em on the smoker outside, do you recommend getting one at lunch or at dinner?  Like when are they best coming off the mesquite/oak?  

Month-ish usually. If we hit a real hog liquidation cycle maybe too. Reason McRib season is when it is that it matches up with peak sow cull season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Don't know your age, but they first came out in 1981.

McRib "Season" is a nebulous thing, only known to the Gods of Fast Food.  There is no set start date nor end date.  There is not even any kind of notification other than you walk in or drive by a McDs and see a sign announcing them.  Then...and only then...do you get to know that your life has become better.  That the GoFF are smiling down upon you.

Get 2 at lunch.  Or 3-4 if you're a big, hungry boy.  Eat half at lunch.  Eat the rest for dinner.  Bring wet naps...

Not sure exactly how long they smoke (I'm talking about the employees of McDs).   But, I think they marinate them in crack water before cooking.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Month-ish usually. If we hit a real hog liquidation cycle maybe too. Reason McRib season is when it is that it matches up with peak sow cull season. 

it's also thin limp bacon pizza season at papa john's for the same reason. 

bet the food channel goes extra hard on pork dishes this month. 

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's also thin limp bacon pizza season at papa john's for the same reason. 

bet the food channel goes extra hard on pork dishes this month. 

The Pork Checkoff made October pork month for the reason too. Supply peaks, and Thanksgiving is a turkey holiday so you need to push right now so you don’t have a cold storage hangover when you should be tightest on supplies into summer 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

No oak, no mesquite-- only genuine hickory (flavoring) in that sassy sauce.

Yeah, I was kidding about asking about who/how they were smoked out back behind McDonald's.  But yeah, I remember them popping up out of the blue as a kid.  But I figured for supply chain/national marketing consistency purposes...McDonald's released them at the same time each year.  But fuck it, I've been eating pretty damn good the last six months and swimming again.  So yeah, I'm gonna grab a couple at lunch and eat one then and one for dinner after a few beers.  

It's the least I can do for murdering Grimace in that snuff film years ago.  

Edited by Lobo

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I was kidding about asking about who/how they were smoked out back behind McDonald's.  But yeah, I remember them popping up out of the blue as a kid.  But I figured for supply chain/national marketing consistency purposes...McDonald's released them at the same time each year.  But fuck it, I've been eating pretty damn good the last six months and swimming again.  So yeah, I'm gonna grab a couple at lunch and eat one then and one for dinner after a few beers.  

It's the last I can do for murdering Grimace in that snuff film years ago.  

We got it, just playing along. :)

As others have mentioned, there IS a "McRib season" because of the pork processing cycle.  

Enjoy your delicious McRib sandwich(es).  You might regret it, but then again, you might not.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Just remember...if you are having a leftover McRib the next day, the proper way to reheat it is sous vide. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Man, I get shat on for admitting that I had subway for lunch, then I come here and there is an entire thread of people bragging about eating mcribs for 2 consecutive meals.

You ate Subway. You are going to be shitting on yourself. You don't need us to help you. 

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, 'stache said:

Never had one until a few years ago, happened to see it on a rare McDonalds trip through a small town. I enjoyed it, but I get the sense its more about nostalgia for people who partook in the hype as a youngster, and I can totally respect that.

while I don’t think I have had one in 30+ years, the McRib does conjure up some very specific fond memories - sneaking off campus for lunch in HS and getting completely baked on the way to McDonalds where we each got 3 McRibs - and in particular one specific day when one of my friends was laughing so hard that a piece of apple (from the post-McRib scarf down) apple pie that he was eating came flying out of his nose 

good times 

• Like 1

Why would you eat a reheated mcrib? Just go back and get another fresh one later. 

Havent had one of these in a long time but I loved them as a kid. We never went to McDonald's but once the mcrib commercials started hitting tv my family would stop by to get one usually two times during the season. 

Might have to try one. Is the sauce still really sweet?

• Hook 'Em 1