New Harris County voting machines

Nice Guy Eddie

I voted today and was glad to see the click wheel machine retired. It was replaced with a touchscreen and paper backup ballot. Your votes are clearly printed on the paper ballot. You walk it over to a machine that appears to scan it before depositing in a box. I screwed it up by placing the doc face-up but they said it would still be counted.

Better than the old system but I bet the paper backup ballot will confuse people in '22 and '24 when they first use it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

You walk it over to a machine that appears to scan it before depositing in a box. I screwed it up by placing the doc face-up but they said it would still be counted.

We have the same machines in Travis County. At least where I voted, there was a sign on the machine that said you could stick it in which ever way you wanted. Just like at South Austin’s mom’s house.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

We have the same machines in Travis County. At least where I voted, there was a sign on the machine that said you could stick it in which ever way you wanted. Just like at South Austin’s mom’s house.

Yep, was actually shocked that it mentioned South Austin's mom by name though.

But liked that it prints out a paper ballot.

Hated the wheel.  It was like using a rotary dial phone, and who the hell misses those?

Like the new touchscreen with paper backup.  It's actually damned hard to argue with -- no hanging chads, any of that bullshit.  It's a clearly recorded paper ballot linked to a registered voter within the county's database of registered voters.  With that technology, we should have lots of early voting opportunities, polling places, etc.  Let people vote when and where they can, it's functionally fraud-proof.

• Like 2

forgot to look at my ballot after it was printed to see what was on it. 

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's a clearly recorded paper ballot linked to a registered voter within the county's database of registered voters.

is it really?  thought we didn't like having votes be identifiable back to the voter. 

My only complaint is the machines look and function like standard office printers. AKA the only piece of technology that hasn’t advanced in 30+ years. Expect paper jams.

The Travis County machines are better in that they just spit out the other card, not print a whole sheet and then have to scan/feed the whole sheet into a similar machine.

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

I liked the wheel. 

This.

and I don't have a problem at all with the new system for physical back-up purposes; but disagree with the other poster who said the new way is faster.  No way.