CFP Rankings are out

Jive Turkey

OU, with its less than stellar resume, is #8.  Shouldn't be an issue there.  They'd move into the top 4 with wins over #12 Baylor and #11 Oklahoma State.

But I am glad the committee recognized that they have not been impressive at all with their list of close wins against bad teams.

FDObihOWQAAyUEV?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

Michigan/Ohio State and Oregon winning out + Alabama or Georgia only dropping 1 to each other solidifies the playoffs.

Oregon loses and Cincinnati is in. 

season is over for everyone else not those teams due to combination of games left. Unless there’s a major implosion, which there are no signs of happening from any of those top 6. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I hate Oregon and Ohio State, but piss on Herbstreit and his body of work bull shit.  Head to head sets the mark.  Just like it should have in 45-35.  OU sucks at 8 is great.   

Oregon has generally looked pretty bad except for 1 game.

Just an irrational love of the Big 10 by the committee.

25 minutes ago, immamac said:

Michigan/Ohio State and Oregon winning out + Alabama or Georgia only dropping 1 to each other solidifies the playoffs.

Oregon loses and Cincinnati is in. 

season is over for everyone else not those teams due to combination of games left. Unless there’s a major implosion, which there are no signs of happening from any of those top 6. 

They won't let Cincinnati in.  OU wins out and they jump Cincinnati.  They might even let Wake Forest pass them.

• Rage+1 1

I guess you could quibble about the order of 2-8 but I can't argue about the teams they have slotted there.  Everybody else has some work to do or needs some help. 

It’s week zero of the AP, which of course doesn’t count. Look at it now.

The only sadness is Cincy being so low (where they should be with the schedule) they have to win by 28 every week to even have a shot and hope from some help with a few other teams. A struggle bus win by 7 is a loss. Luke knows this as well. He needs to find his inner leach and run the score up every game. That navy game didn’t help.

They have 3 or 4 games left and the only decent one is SMU who shit the bed Saturday.

Having said that, the 5 above them won’t go undefeated. GA has to lose twice and the rest once to move up. They will be at 4 at some point at least for a week.

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, well the 2020 Alabama staff may have a bunch of guys who are 4-4, but are those 2015 coaches going to feel so high and mighty after a monkey eats their faces off?

No.

POQLGXATYGFTOWYPUAL6TMVXGQ.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

no smu or u of h in the top 25 is bs 

1 hour ago, NIUHuskies said:

Or UTSA

1 hour ago, bullet said:

They won't let Cincinnati in.  OU wins out and they jump Cincinnati.  They might even let Wake Forest pass them.

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Has anybody in the modern CFB playoff moved from the initial 20-25 to top 4? I can’t recall but I doubt it. Seems like they should only focus on the top 15 or so.

That was kind of my point. I guess thru some strange circumstances it could happen but I think by this time of the year the fortunate ones have been pretty well identified and it's just a matter of getting final grades. 

It's not an invitation to a tournament which is what a lot of people would like for it to be. 

Just now, Js1 said:

That’s why Wisky is top 25. To legitimize them 

Seems like the year that Baylor and TCU were vying for a spot there was grumbling from Baylor peeps that Minnesota who TCU had beaten early in the year was being kept in the top 25 similarly. Once TCU lost to Baylor they let Minny slip on down but it was like they were hedging their bets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

This bullshit beauty pageant we deal with year after year is why college football is a fucking joke. No other sport does this. 

It's a significant improvement over how we used to do it.

I don't think there's any question it's going to expand, and auto-bids for conference champions will likely be part of the new system.  But then everyone will just whine about how unfair the at-large bids are distributed.

And college basketball and baseball do this to a significant extent, as well.

Edited by Augustus

It's all such bullshit. We have the final four in a playoff last year and somehow fucking aggy moves into the top four once the playoff is done. The whole system is fucked.

Certain conferences get to pad their schedules by playing fewer conference games and manipulating the polls is ridiculous. 

The entire system needs an overhaul.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

It's all such bullshit. We have the final four in a playoff last year and somehow fucking aggy moves into the top four once the playoff is done. The whole system is fucked.

They didn't move into the CFP final four after the playoffs, as there isn't a CFP poll post-playoff.

That was the media/coaches polls, and they're free to rank teams in order of who they think is better than who.

Just now, Augustus said:

They didn't move into the CFP final four after the playoffs, as there isn't a CFP poll post-playoff.

That was the media/coaches polls, and they're free to rank teams in order of who they think is better than who.

And that system is fucked. It doesn't prove anything on the field, and the early polls give weight to shit that hasn't been proven.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

It's a significant improvement over how we used to do it.

It really isn't. It's marginal at best. The first season the 4th and 5th (or 6th?) highest ranked CFP teams were likely the best teams in the country. On top of that - how many absolute drubbings have we seen in the semis? Too many. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, Augustus said:

Like you, it's just people expressing their opinions.

Those polls don't mean anything anymore.

Glad you're fine with a system based on opinions. Why do we even need March Madness. Just have the top 4 teams in some fucking poll play each other. 

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Glad you're fine with a system based on opinions. Why do we even need March Madness. Just have the top 4 teams in some fucking poll play each other. 

I personally think a 68-team single elimination basketball tournament is dumb, too, but it's way more fucking entertaining so there's that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Has anybody in the modern CFB playoff moved from the initial 20-25 to top 4? I can’t recall but I doubt it. Seems like they should only focus on the top 15 or so.

Well they need the rankings for the NY6 and usually for the top G5 in addition for the top 4.

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s why Wisky is top 25. To legitimize them 

And why UH and SMU are not top 25 but MWC teams are.  To de-ligitimize Cincinnati.

UH is 27 and SMU 36 in the Massey Composite.  #17 Miss. St. is 35, #24 SDSU is 33 and #23 Fresno is 39. 

The Playoff selection committee has show that everything except the final poll are meaningless. They can and do jump anyone they want in the final poll.

That said, there is ZERO chance an undefeated Power-5 conference champion is left out. It doesn't matter what MSU, Oklahoma, or Wake Forest are ranked, if they win out, they are in. Period. Full Stop.

Beyond that, if there are a bunch of 1-loss teams, it is a beauty pageant and won't be based on merit.

• Hook 'Em 2