CFP Rankings are out

Jive Turkey

3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

That would be the ultimate FU move - rank Cincy over ND all season in the CFP, both teams win this weekend, Cincy plays an extra CCG game and wins it, then the CFP swaps ND and Cincy's spots in the final CFP rankings.

They wouldn't do that. Follow @cfbmatrix and @cfb_professor on twitter to find out more about the committee's framework. Cincy has an opportunity to add two more quality wins (any team above .500 according to the committee) and a top 25 win while ND can only add a win against sub-.500 Stanford.

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

They wouldn't do that. Follow @cfbmatrix and @cfb_professor on twitter to find out more about the committee's framework. Cincy has an opportunity to add two more quality wins (any team above .500 according to the committee) and a top 25 win while ND can only add a win against sub-.500 Stanford.

I agree with you. I was replying to the dude above me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah that should be pretty set provided Cincy doesn’t lose. Michigan will get fuck blasted by tOSU, so ND will move to 5 but cincy has the head to head advantage over them so I doubt the Irish get in. I think people are sick of seeing them be utterly out matched in the CFP anyway.

You never know. Okie Lite or OU winning both games might make it interesting. If they split and Cincy wins out they are probably in 100p, though. 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So this is year 8 of the CFP already. Crazy. Texas has never once appeared in the top 4 of any weekly CFP ranking. 

We’ve barely appeared in the top 25.

11 appearances in the CFP top 25 with a high of #14 based on a quick google.

Edited by LonghornSean

schlabach:

"This is the fourth of five in-season rankings from the committee. Of the 28 previous playoff teams, 22 have been ranked in the top four at this point in the season and 26 have been ranked in the top six."

okie lite has to beat thieves twice and still needs 2 of 4:

georgia beats saban (assuming no clean hate or iron bowl upsets) - probable

cincy loses tp ecu or cougar high - doubtful

3-8 stanford beats domer - fetch

tosu/michigan winner loses in indianapolis - fetch

not looking good for the fighting mullets

if saban wins, both go, and if all else plays out as expected the politicking ensues

the good news is no one is guaranteed, everyone in the top 6 can lose themselves out of a slot

your viewing guide to this weekend's fixtures of import:

friday cincy @ ecu 230 abc

saturday old fashioned hate 11 abc

saturday tosu @ michigan 11 fox

saturday iron bowl 230 cbs

saturday bedlam 630 abc

saturday domer @ the farm 7 fox

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah that should be pretty set provided Cincy doesn’t lose. Michigan will get fuck blasted by tOSU, so ND will move to 5 but cincy has the head to head advantage over them so I doubt the Irish get in. I think people are sick of seeing them be utterly out matched in the CFP anyway.

ND gets in if Georgia beats Alabama in this scenario, which I think happens.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

You never know. Okie Lite or OU winning both games might make it interesting. If they split and Cincy wins out they are probably in 100p, though. 

Don't think Okie Lite or OU jump ND if all win out.

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

schlabach:

"This is the fourth of five in-season rankings from the committee. Of the 28 previous playoff teams, 22 have been ranked in the top four at this point in the season and 26 have been ranked in the top six."

okie lite has to beat thieves twice and still needs 2 of 4:

georgia beats saban (assuming no clean hate or iron bowl upsets) - probable

cincy loses tp ecu or cougar high - doubtful

3-8 stanford beats domer - fetch

tosu/michigan winner loses in indianapolis - fetch

not looking good for the fighting mullets

if saban wins, both go, and if all else plays out as expected the politicking ensues

the good news is no one is guaranteed, everyone in the top 6 can lose themselves out of a slot

your viewing guide to this weekend's fixtures of import:

friday cincy @ ecu 230 abc

saturday old fashioned hate 11 abc

saturday tosu @ michigan 11 fox

saturday iron bowl 230 cbs

saturday bedlam 630 abc

saturday domer @ the farm 7 fox

If we beat OU in Bedlam then its OSU/Baylor in the CCG. Assuming Baylor wins this week too.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I think ND gets in over Okie Lite if they win out, but it would be a closer call for the voters between OU/ND. Both of those teams need to be shooting for not just wins, but style points.  If they could pull off a real ass-kicking showdown in the CCG, that could put them over other top. 

I think it's been ordained that Cincy is the G5 team that is going to get through and they are going to be embarrassed in the opening round. And this discussion will simmer down a bit because of UH, Cincy, UCF, and BYU all going P5.  That group easily makes up most of the G5 media attention over the last decade or so.  Coastal Carolina is nice and all, but no one is going to really look at a Sun Belt team for CFP. 

Why? Either would have one more game (and one more win) than ND, would have a conference championship, and would have more quality wins and wins over ranked opponents (ND's only solid win is over Wisconsin; the rest of their schedule has turned unexpectedly bad this year). 

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think ND gets in over Okie Lite if they win out, but it would be a closer call for the voters between OU/ND.

This is correct. In this scenario, Okie Lite has no shot. OU is a better conversation, but it would come down to 3 things...

1. ND already quite a ways ahead of OU, so too far for OU to climb to jump them
  2. Each with 1 loss, ND's will be to undefeated #3 Cinci and OU's will be to #meh Baylor (by that time)
  3. ND trumps OU for national brand following every single time

Right or wrong, all those things matter.

5 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Why? Either would have one more game (and one more win) than ND, would have a conference championship, and would have more quality wins and wins over ranked opponents (ND's only solid win is over Wisconsin; the rest of their schedule has turned unexpectedly bad this year). 

See above.

13 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Could be. I think all of them would have an argument, although I am doubtful that the physical members of the committee look at beating the same team twice as more than one quality win. 

What's amazing is that this year, just like almost every year, we are going to be left with a debate over which team(s) that clearly doesn't belong anyway gets left out. 

Fun fact: the number 1 or 2 seed has won 5/7 CFPs.  tOSU and Alabama make up the teams that won as fours. We'd really do just about as well with the old BCS 1 v. 2 system, and the lesson of "give Saban the benefit of the doubt" rings true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Could be. I think all of them would have an argument, although I am doubtful that the physical members of the committee look at beating the same team twice as more than one quality win. 

What's amazing is that this year, just like almost every year, we are going to be left with a debate over which team(s) that clearly doesn't belong anyway gets left out. 

Fun fact: the number 1 or 2 seed has won 5/7 CFPs.  tOSU and Alabama make up the teams that won as fours. We'd really do just about as well with the old BCS 1 v. 2 system, and the lesson of "give Saban the benefit of the doubt" rings true. 

Highly likely to be 6/8 after this year too. Only thing I can see changing that is if Alabama beats Georgia in the SECCG, and they both get into the CFP, which will throw a huge wrench in the works.

And I'll add, the year that UGA and Alabama played as 3 vs. 4 the seeding was completely messed up.  Everyone knew that Alabama was likely the best team. Alabama got punished for not winning the SECW after a road loss to a top ten Auburn team.  And Clemson and OU had losses to Syracuse and a not-yet impressive Iowa State, but the committee overweighed winning the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

This is correct. In this scenario, Okie Lite has no shot. OU is a better conversation, but it would come down to 3 things...

2. Each with 1 loss, ND's will be to undefeated #3 Cinci and OU's will be to #meh Baylor (by that time)

See above.

Meh, see my above. The committee is putting high priority on good wins this year. OU would have more of them, more wins total, a conference title, and a single loss to a top 10 team on the road. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I don’t know. ND will have neither a conference championship nor a 13th data point on their resume. Because of their independent status I’ve always been told by the pundits that ND needs to go undefeated in order to make it in. That’s been the case both times they’ve made it in so far. We’ll see what happens. 

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know. ND will have neither a conference championship nor a 13th data point on their resume. Because of their independent status I’ve always been told by the pundits that ND needs to go undefeated in order to make it in. That’s been the case both times they’ve made it in so far. We’ll see what happens. 

speechless-no-comment.gif

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

In that CCG scenario both teams would have 4-5 top 25 wins and would still be left out of CFP. 

Probably so... I'm thinking (hoping) OSU wins out - but that will get us the Sugar Bowl against either a 2 loss Alabama or Ole Miss...

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

CFP to College Football Fans: "Oh, you're tired of watching an overmatched Rust Belt team coasting on media hype and ancient accomplishments? OK assholes, here's an overmatched Rust Belt team coasting on media hype WITHOUT any accomplishments." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

No way if it's OSU...maaaaaaaaybe (but doubtful) if it's OU.

Nah, if we beat No. 10 OU this week, then No. 6 or 7 Baylor the next week, we're in over ND. By all metrics our wins and stats are superior. If we're out for ND in that scenario, the system will be officially fucked. So yeah it would probably happen, but really, I just don't think it would.

Of course we have to win and that's where I'm skeptical. I like talking about it now while its still relevant. Before we lose bedlam in some bizarre and heartbreaking fashion.

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Nah, if we beat No. 10 OU this week, then No. 6 or 7 Baylor the next week, we're in over ND. By all metrics our wins and stats are superior. If we're out for ND in that scenario, the system will be officially fucked. So yeah it would probably happen, but really, I just don't think it would.

Of course we have to win and that's where I'm skeptical. I like talking about it now while its still relevant. Before we lose bedlam in some bizarre and heartbreaking fashion.

Exactly, just scanning across schedules and OSU wins more impressive than Notre Dame...add conference champion, OSU lost on road by 3, ND at home by 9 (granted Cincy), and throw in people tired of Notre Dame, hopefully Cincy wins out too and we finally get 2 new teams in the finals. OSU will definitely be ahead of ND if both win out though.

See above.

lol wut?  If OU wins out and Baylor doesn’t stumble against Tech that “#mehBaylor” will be the a Top 5-6 team in the final rankings.  That would be the second best loss in CFB this season behind only Cincy (assuming they don’t lose either).  

If OSU wins out they’ll be better in nearly every category the committee has allegedly put in place over the years.  Their last two games would have been wins against #9 OU and #5-8 Baylor including a championship game.  

They would be a shoe-in over ND.  

So here is my dream for chaos:

Michigan beats tOSU by a nose and wins out

UGA loses to Bama in an OT thriller in the SECCG

Okie Light wins out, also in thriller fashion

Notre Dame beats Stanford

So we have: Cincy (12-0), UGA 12-1, Bama 12-1, Michigan 12-1, ND 11-1, Okie Light 12-1. The only reason I want Michigan to win out is because while I think tOSU is an easy vote for the committee, Michigan would not be as sure of a thing. Ditto Okie Lite.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

57 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So here is my dream for chaos:

Michigan beats tOSU by a nose and wins out

UGA loses to Bama in an OT thriller in the SECCG

Okie Light wins out, also in thriller fashion

Notre Dame beats Stanford

So we have: Cincy (12-0), UGA 12-1, Bama 12-1, Michigan 12-1, ND 11-1, Okie Light 12-1. The only reason I want Michigan to win out is because while I think tOSU is an easy vote for the committee, Michigan would not be as sure of a thing. Ditto Okie Lite.

No chaos in that scenario at all. You’ll get Georgia, Alabama, Michigan and Cincinnati 

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think there’d be some real hesitation to replay the SECCG in the CFP. 

Nah man, they could justify the shit outa that. And they’d probably be right. Who in their right mind wouldn’t take either team against every other team in the country? I know I would

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So here is my dream for chaos

#teamchaos target situation a week from tomorrow night

P5 Champion Oregon Ducks 11-2

G5 Champion UTSA 13-0

G5 Champion San Diego State 12-1

P5 Champion Oklahoma State 12-1

G5 Champion Louisiana 12-1

G5 Champion Cincinnati 13-0

P5 Champion Georgia 13-0

P5 Champion Pittsburgh 11-2

P5 Champion Wisconsin 10-3

Independent BYU 10-2

Independent Notre Dame 10-2

Alabama 2-loss Non-Champion

Michigan 2-loss Non-Champion

Ohio State 2-loss Non-Champion

Oklahoma 2-loss Non-Champion

is such a thing even possible?  yes it is

Selection Committee maximum fuckery index

Root for the winners in CAPS

Today:

Boise State @ SAN DIEGO STATE

UTAH STATE @ New Mexico

Iowa @ CORN

CINCY @ East Carolina

Nevada Las Vegas @ AIR FORCE

Colorado @ UTAH

Tomorrow:

Georgia @ GEORGIA TECH

Ohio State @ MICHIGAN

Texas Tech @ BAYLOR

Wake Forest @ BOSTON COLLEGE

HOUSTON @ Connecticut

UTSA @ North Texas

Georgia Southern @ APPALACHIAN STATE

Alabama @ AUBURN

Oregon State @ OREGON

Penn State @ MICHIGAN STATE

WESTERN KENTUCKY @ Marshall

Wisconsin @ Minnesota *** if corn beat Iowa, we want Wiscy; if not, Gopher ***

UL Monroe @ LOUISIANA

aggy @ LSU

Oklahoma @ OKLAHOMA STATE

PITTSBURGH @ Syracuse

CLEMSON @ South Carolina

Notre Dame @ STANFORD

BRIGHAM YOUNG @ University of Southern California

Next week:

Oregon (10-2) v. Utah (9-3)

UTSA (12-0) v. Western Kentucky (8-4)

SAN DIEGO STATE (11-1) v. Utah State (9-3)

Baylor (10-2) v. OKLAHOMA STATE (11-1)

Appalachian State (10-2) v. LOUISIANA (11-1)

CINCINNATI (12-0) v. Houston (11-1)

Alabama (10-2) v. GEORGIA (12-0)

Clemson (9-3) v. PITTSBURGH (10-2)

Michigan (11-1) v. WISCONSIN (9-3)

too late to edit above... reordering the decision list

in order to take Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State or Oklahoma, all 2-loss non-conference champions, they would have to skip over:

P5 Champion Georgia 13-0

G5 Champion UTSA 13-0

Independent BYU 10-2

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

#teamchaos target situation a week from tomorrow night

G5 Champion UTSA 13-0

P5 Champion Georgia 13-0

Independent BYU 10-2

Alabama 2-loss Non-Champion

Michigan 2-loss Non-Champion

Ohio State 2-loss Non-Champion

Oklahoma 2-loss Non-Champion

is such a thing even possible?  yes it is

Selection Committee maximum fuckery index

Root for the winners in CAPS

Today:

Boise State @ SAN DIEGO STATE

UTAH STATE @ New Mexico

Iowa @ CORN

CINCY @ East Carolina

Nevada Las Vegas @ AIR FORCE

Colorado @ UTAH

Tomorrow:

Georgia @ GEORGIA TECH

Ohio State @ MICHIGAN

Texas Tech @ BAYLOR

Wake Forest @ BOSTON COLLEGE

HOUSTON @ Connecticut

UTSA @ North Texas

Georgia Southern @ APPALACHIAN STATE

Alabama @ AUBURN

Oregon State @ OREGON

Penn State @ MICHIGAN STATE

WESTERN KENTUCKY @ Marshall

Wisconsin @ Minnesota *** if corn beat Iowa, we want Wiscy; if not, Gopher ***

UL Monroe @ LOUISIANA

aggy @ LSU

Oklahoma @ OKLAHOMA STATE

PITTSBURGH @ Syracuse

CLEMSON @ South Carolina

Notre Dame @ STANFORD

BRIGHAM YOUNG @ University of Southern California

Next week:

Oregon (10-2) v. Utah (9-3)

UTSA (12-0) v. Western Kentucky (8-4)

SAN DIEGO STATE (11-1) v. Utah State (9-3)

Baylor (10-2) v. OKLAHOMA STATE (11-1)

Appalachian State (10-2) v. LOUISIANA (11-1)

CINCINNATI (12-0) v. Houston (11-1)

Alabama (10-2) v. GEORGIA (12-0)

Clemson (9-3) v. PITTSBURGH (10-2)

Michigan (11-1) v. WISCONSIN (9-3)

35 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

too late to edit above... reordering the decision list

in order to take Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State or Oklahoma, all 2-loss non-conference champions, they would have to skip over:

P5 Champion Georgia 13-0

G5 Champion UTSA 13-0

Independent BYU 10-2

Man that’s an awful lot of words for something that’ll NEVER happen.

trap day game 1 halftime update

Georgia @ GEORGIA TECH :: wreck ain’t ramblin with 67 yards and 0 points @ halftime; Dawg has booked their playoff spot regardless of the result next week.

Ohio State @ MICHIGAN :: possible

Texas Tech @ BAYLOR :: possible

Wake Forest @ BOSTON COLLEGE :: probable

HOUSTON @ Connecticut :: probable