2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

at 10:30ish this morning, drove by cedar park and north austin 183 costcos. holy fuck i thought it was thanksgiving again. lots were full. 

i'm fully expecting to grid to collapse because greg and the state leaders assured us that it wouldn't. worst case scenario, it's 48 hours of no running water and electricity. i am well stocked and prepared for me and the mrs at the house. went to the local arlans/fresh plus to get water, chips, bread, peanut better, jelly, snacks and plenty of alcohol for the two kids and their roomies up the road in west campus. shitheads didn't know anything about our impending doom. must be nice only worrying about studying and drinking. 

btw, arlans/fresh plus in crestview had no lines, water and everything else. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

So . . . my son and I have a 10:05 AM flight out of ABIA tomorrow (Thursday).

We live in a confluence of Austin's steepest roads.

We're fucked, right?

Roads are expected to be utter shit. I know flights are being canceled left and right across the nation due to this system. Very likely your flight would be canceled anyway.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We're fucked, right?

Yes. You could head to the airport tonight after dinner and sleep there, but the odds are pretty good that your flight will be canceled anyway and then you’d be stuck at the airport. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

About an inch of snow on the ground, 20mph winds out of the NE. Temp is 17. Continued flurries. 

High tomorrow...16. Two to three inches total accumulation expected in AMA area.

I'll take this over y'all's ice any fucking day.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And hating it if you’re a parent….with a job…in which you work from home

Wait, is President's Day a school holiday?

Or even if you dont work from home you will be when the roads are icy. And if you had childcare that's no longer going to happen since those will be closed or they can't make it to your house. Fucking Feb.

4 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Wait, is President's Day a school holiday?

Or even if you dont work from home you will be when the roads are icy. And if you had childcare that's no longer going to happen since those will be closed or they can't make it to your house. Fucking Feb.

President's Day is an AISD holiday, but not sure about the other districts.

And I have it easier than a lot of other parents stuck at home the next couple of days.  My fifth grader and tenth grader are pretty low maintenance when they're at home and I have to work.

We're fucked, right?

I have to be at IAH tomorrow night for a trip. I live on top of a hill in the hill country. I'm leaving tonight; y'all fucked.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pro-tip: if you really do need groceries, hit a mexican mercado, like La Michoacana, El Rancho, etc.  Even in the panic-buying situations, they usually have plenty of what you need, because Mexicans don't panic like west Austin white folks.

I invite you to survey the scene at the Austin HEBs on ManSlaughter or CoSlaugh.  You would quickly change your mind.

Yes, I know those monikers are douchey.  Don't care, got groceries.

If the birds are any indication, shit is about to get real. I usually have 5-10 at the feeders at any given time. There's 50 plus out there at the moment fighting for food. Blue Jay's, cardinals, woodpeckers, finches, doves, grackles...you name it. I guess they are filling up beforehand. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

So, what are the odds that we lose power in Austin again?

I can't keep up with all this shit.

I was thinking the school districts would go virtual (at least Austin, since the kids all have devices), but if they aren't even doing that, it probably means they are guessing there will be plenty of power outages due to the ice.

Picked up the HEB curbside(183 & Lakeline) at 7AM this morning. Just needed some chili ingredients, eggs, and extra tortillas for breakfast tacos. Drove by it again about 90 minutes ago on the way to Target for Spindrift (rant: why isn't that stuff everywhere? it's fucking awesome). It was a scene from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Target was marginally better. 

I suspect my neighborhood dive bar and the pizza joint down the way will have record sales tonight.

I went by the Hancock HEB this morning about 7 AM to get some fruit and produce for a couple of days, and there werent that many customers at all. Like only half the self checkout lanes open and no line. But every aisle was jammed packed full of staff restocking shelves that must have been f'n ransacked last night. Entire sections of shit cleaned out.  Its a good thing the fine folks at HEB factor in our stupidity when establishing logistic plans. 

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was thinking the school districts would go virtual (at least Austin, since the kids all have devices), but if they aren't even doing that, it probably means they are guessing there will be plenty of power outages due to the ice.

My K teacher just sent a note that she is sending iPads home with the kids in case but to what you said mentioned very likely that school is cancelled entirely.