2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, I’m really shocked the flight is still coming in. My kid lives in west campus, so he would have to cross the Colorado somewhere to get to the airport. He’s never driven in icy conditions, so if I can avoid it I will. She lands after 9, so shit will be frozen again. Right now the hope is cabs or Ubers are still running. If she lands and can’t get something from the airport I’ll start guiding him there. 

This is the perfect time to teach him to drive in icy conditions.  He's probably not going to fuck around as much if grandma's life is on the line!

11 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Speaking of I probably shouldn’t share this story but I’m gonna anyway.  After a breakfast of some yogurt, a granola bar and some leftover garlic cheese grits, I was playing with my grandson in the garage, letting him fool around in the back of my truck and stuff and I let loose a tremendous fart.  It echoed off the metal garage doors and he started crying.  Not because of the smell, it was just so loud it scared him.  I think he thought he shit his own pants.  He finally calmed down a bit, then the smell hit him and he started crying again.  That time I knew he meant it because his eyes were watering.  

This is from a Will Farrell movie, right?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Soak a pound of beans overnight.

Sauté a bell pepper, an onion, several stalks of celery, a bunch of garlic. Add the beans, a ham hock, and about a pound of sausage, and a bay leaf, cover with water. Simmer for 3-4 hours or so till done and thickened. Take out the hock, pull the meat off of it and put that back in the pot. Add a little bit of Cajun seasoning if you want.

Serve over rice with some diced green onion and many splashes of Crystal.

One of my favorite things in the world.

Mine is a bit different. I drop in smoked pork chops vs. the ham hock. Damn nice. And agree, simple kicks ass when it comes to beans. 

Never did the celery. Will try that on Sunday when I can get to HEB (if it ever opens). 

Mine is a bit different. I drop in smoked pork chops vs. the ham hock. Damn nice. And agree, simple kicks ass when it comes to beans. 
Never did the celery. Will try that on Sunday when I can get to HEB (if it ever opens). 

As long as there are lots of chunks of smoked pig in there, you’re on target.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All day pot of red beans:

94d22980757318f1d02ea3040a038fac.jpg

Love a bowl of RBAR on a cold day.

We don't live that far from each other as the crow flies. But it's too icy for me to get to you. Here's the plan - you go to the top of the hill at Far West (West of Mesa), and I'll be down at the bottom. You slide the pot down the hill to me. I'll bring your pot back when it thaws out. Deal?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

We don't live that far from each other as the crow flies. But it's too icy for me to get to you. Here's the plan - you go to the top of the hill at Far West (West of Mesa), and I'll be down at the bottom. You slide the pot down the hill to me. I'll bring your pot back when it thaws out. Deal?

Drop a little off at Lakewood Dr

8 minutes ago, hornian said:

My buddy that lives on Green Valley is going to intercept it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All day pot of red beans:

94d22980757318f1d02ea3040a038fac.jpg

Love a bowl of RBAR on a cold day.

Nice.  We did a pot on Monday.  Didn't get any pics, I'll remedy that next time.

Brown a pound of andouille and some homemade tasso.  Add trinity and saute, add garlic and some Slap Ya Mama or equiv at the end, stir in.  Add in a quart and a half of stock, Camillia beans (right outta the bag, not soaked), capful of Zatarains Crab Boil, bay leaf.  Throw it all in crock pot - we've got a crock pot that you can put on the cooktop to do your saute, so it's all one pot - easy.  Set for 4 hours.  Serve over rice. 

Bottle of Crystal and can of Tony's/SYM on the table.  I like a few bites of the red beans as is, then add Crystal for a few bites, then cajun season a few bites.  Mix it up.  Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Nice.  We did a pot on Monday.  Didn't get any pics, I'll remedy that next time.

Brown a pound of andouille and some homemade tasso.  Add trinity and saute, add garlic and some Slap Ya Mama or equiv at the end, stir in.  Add in a quart and a half of stock, Camillia beans (right outta the bag, not soaked), capful of Zatarains Crab Boil, bay leaf.  Throw it all in crock pot - we've got a crock pot that you can put on the cooktop to do your saute, so it's all one pot - easy.  Set for 4 hours.  Serve over rice. 

Bottle of Crystal and can of Tony's/SYM on the table.  I like a few bites of the red beans as is, then add Crystal for a few bites, then cajun season a few bites.  Mix it up.  Enjoy.

My pawpaw was from Avery Island so it's Tabasco all the way here, but otherwise I'm with you. Looks delicious.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is the perfect time to teach him to drive in icy conditions.  He's probably not going to fuck around as much if grandma's life is on the line!

If I was anywhere close I would, but I’m an hour north so getting down there to teach him isn’t in the cards. Looks like Oma is going to take a Lyft to his place. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hope they were paying the dump truck driver extra, even without idiots rear-ending him, that looks like a crazy area to be sanding down.  A dump truck could pick up a lot of speed there.

Incredible idiocy.  We are out at my in-laws in Steiner while we get some work on our house in town.  That hill is serious at the best of times.  You have to be a fucking moron to try it during an ice storm.

Made it in to work tonight with one minor problem. Slid thru a stop sign at the bottom of a hill and went into the ditch. Managed to get out by myself, but it was touch and go for a minute. Doesn't look like it did much damage, just broken plastic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

Made it in to work tonight with one minor problem. Slid thru a stop sign at the bottom of a hill and went into the ditch. Managed to get out by myself, but it was touch and go for a minute. Doesn't look like it did much damage, just broken plastic.

I thought HEB was closed. Just messing around. Glad you are good and got out. 

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hope they were paying the dump truck driver extra, even without idiots rear-ending him, that looks like a crazy area to be sanding down.  A dump truck could pick up a lot of speed there.

The most important thing about this story is that a few years back, someone changed the name of one of the signs to "Buttlick Hollow".  My son and I always cracked up on the way to baseball seeing it.

Oh and I was out driving today with my '96 Demolition Derby Explorer special (300K on it, drives like a Bugatti)).  Roads almost everywhere are dry ('cept bridges).  Everyone get out now and go as fast and reckless as you can.  It's okay.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

With the sun coming out and temperatures rising I think everywhere will be fine by noon. 

I don't see any sun out my windows. But I would take some warming. My back deck is a sheet of ice and my dogs are being little bitches about going outside to do their business. 

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Some gnarly icicles forming on the edges of the sheer descents.

C9D43740-E3D0-4E51-BF94-03DE5B878E36.thumb.jpeg.fdaddfac92575fbc2d2b59a6d0629489.jpeg

Yeah last year during Icepocalypse my sheers had a frozen solid sheet from the exit slot all the way to the water, but they were still pumping water even after 9 days of continuous running.  The shallow end also formed about a 1" layer of ice about 1/4 of the way into the pool.