2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

Cool story bro time-

Some older guy in line for Aspromonte had 2 large scrapbooks and said that his late wife loved Aspromonte so she cut out every newspaper article she ever saw regarding him and put them in these books. The guy ended up giving Aspromonte both books. You could tell he was touched by the gesture because he got up and shook the guys hand and gave him a hug.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I waited in line for Marcelo Mayer and Jordan Lawlar autographs, both seemed very down to earth and joked around with people waiting for autos. I told Jordan Lawlar that the Astros may be looking for a shortstop soon and he just smiled and said "I love Carlos Correa" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ichabod said:

I waited in line for Marcelo Mayer and Jordan Lawlar autographs, both seemed very down to earth and joked around with people waiting for autos. I told Jordan Lawlar that the Astros may be looking for a shortstop soon and he just smiled and said "I love Carlos Correa" 

I love Carlos Correa too. 
The awesome thing about his career is that it’s a really easy way to tell which Astros fans should be avoided like the plague- just listen to the contingent bitching about him and ignore and disengage from them. 
I think when the gods made the perfect baseball player he got about as close as it gets. 
he needs to hit with a little more pull power to truly unlock all of his gifts, and I believe that comes next. It’s sort of an old man baseball skill. When that starts (I guess it’s fair to say if) he becomes a 35-40 HR guy and a perennial MVP. 

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

Cool story bro time-

Some older guy in line for Aspromonte had 2 large scrapbooks and said that his late wife loved Aspromonte so she cut out every newspaper article she ever saw regarding him and put them in these books. The guy ended up giving Aspromonte both books. You could tell he was touched by the gesture because he got up and shook the guys hand and gave him a hug.

Sounds like they are Eskimo brothers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love Carlos Correa too. 
The awesome thing about his career is that it’s a really easy way to tell which Astros fans should be avoided like the plague- just listen to the contingent bitching about him and ignore and disengage from them. 

So basically everyone on this thread pre-2020 spring training. 

but yeah, if you still hear anyone bitching about Carlos after that 2020 spring training interview and the results during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, punch ‘em in the mouth and tell ‘em Carlos said it was ok.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I guess he means from a pitcher’s spot in the batting order. Because Ohtani will surely see at bats and hits from the DH spot. If so, you can add Greinke as the last to get a hit to your trivia question. 

Yeah I’d say SO isn’t a “traditional” pitcher since he plays both ways

I think a good outcome today would be “progress;” Manfred claims the revised offer is “good.” The players will disagree, it’s just a matter of how much they disagree, how much whatever the new proposal is can move things forward.

If I had to guess, I’d guess it’ll be similar to ‘95, with a regular season shortened by a week or two. Spring training is almost certainly going to be delayed and the clock is ticking. With the WS already stretching into November, playing 162 games seems unlikely if you have to push opening day back much. I suppose there is hope for a relatively quick resolution and an abbreviated spring training.

If no progress is made today, it’s not looking good.

31 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So who’s being being stingy. The owners or the players because I have no fucking clue what either are expecting so someone cliff notes this shit for me.

There seems to be 3 main issues. 

Minimum salary: Owners offered $615k-$725k for service years 1-3. Players want $775k for everyone. 

Bonus pool for pre-arb players. Owners offer $15M. Players want $100M

CBT levels: see above for owners offer. Players want $245M immediately. 

There are other things as well but these are the main sticking points. Who is being greedy depends on what you think the clubs income statements really look like. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Keith Law's top 20 Astros prospects:

https://theathletic.com/3118842/2022/02/11/astros-top-20-prospects-for-2022-keith-law-ranks-houstons-farm-system/

Spoiler

Astros’ top 20 prospects for 2022: Keith Law ranks Houston’s farm system

GLENDALE, AZ - NOVEMBER 10, 2021: Korey Lee #35 of the Glendale Desert Dogs throws to second base against the Mesa Solar Sox at Camelback Ranch on November 10, 2021 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Chris Bernacchi/Diamond Images via Getty Images)
By Keith Law Feb 11, 2022comment-icon@2x.png 15 save-icon@2x.png

The Astros’ system is still down after years of low draft positions, conservative picks and trades to bolster the contending major-league club. That said, they had several success stories on the farm last year, both from previous drafts and from the international free agent market, and this year they will return to their full complement of draft picks now that they’re out of the penalty box for the sign-stealing scandal.

To qualify for these rankings, players must still be eligible for the Rookie of the Year Award in 2022, which means they may not have more than 130 at-bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 days on an active roster heading into this season.

1. Korey Lee, C (Just-missed list)

Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 32 in 2019

The Astros’ first-round pick in 2019, Lee was actually my final cut from the top 100 this year, so if you’re asking who was No. 101, it’s him. The reason is his lower ceiling than some of the guys I put over him in the 90s. Lee is a plus defender with a powerful and accurate arm, throwing out 43 percent of runners across three stops last year, and he’s a solid hitter for contact, just without much impact or patience. His pitch recognition seems fine and I have seen him hit velocity, although it’s more singles and doubles than anything that might turn into bigger power. He won’t turn 23 until July, though, and has time to get stronger and prove that I was too light on him here. I do think at worst he’s a soft regular thanks to his defense and contact rates.

2. Jeremy Peña, SS

Drafted: No. 102 in 2018

Peña is a plus defender at short, possibly a 70, who used to be more a Punch-and-Judy hitter before the lost 2020 season. He bulked up and the Astros helped work on his swing so that he’s now producing well above-average exit velocities, and it showed up in games this year, as he hit 10 homers in just 160 plate appearances after he returned in August from a tendon injury in his wrist that cost him more than three months. He was overly aggressive in his return, which is out of character for him – perhaps he thought if he hit .600 or so he’d make up for lost time – and probably isn’t a concern going forward. He should be a solid/average regular, with maybe a 20-to-30 percent chance he carries all of these offensive gains into the majors and becomes a star.

3. Hunter Brown, RHP

Drafted: No. 166 in 2019

Brown has elite stuff, still; and un-elite control, still. He averages 95 mph, touches 99-plus, holding it all year and deep into games, with power to both breaking balls. He still walked a man every other inning in 2021, but to his credit, he threw more strikes and walked fewer guys in Triple A than in Double A, even with the higher level using the MLB ball and with some games in hitters’ parks. He has the size to start, and if the trend in his control continues, has at least No. 2 starter ceiling, although I think league-average is more like it — someone who misses a lot of bats but walks closer to four per nine innings than three per nine.

4. Pedro Leon, SS/OF

Leon is tooled up, tooled out, tooled over, whatever you want to call it, although he didn’t play up to the levels of those tools in his pro debut in 2021. Perhaps it was the long layoff, and in his defense, he was trying to move from the outfield to shortstop and hit Double-A pitching and then got hurt five games after he reached Triple-A, missing almost two months. He can fly, he has plus power, he has a howitzer of an arm, and he has bat speed. Leon hadn’t faced game action in two years when he got on the field in 2021, and he had trouble adjusting to the much higher quality of minor league pitching compared to what he faced in Cuba in 2017-19. In that context, hitting .249/.359/.443 – especially after starting 1 for 21 – in Double A isn’t too bad. The scouting expression “if he figures it out” is almost too strong here. If Leon figures it out halfway, he’s a big-league regular.

5. Forrest Whitley, RHP

Drafted: No. 17 in 2016

Whitley was the top pitching prospect in baseball just a few years ago, but the past three seasons have held one disaster after another, with the most recent one being Tommy John surgery in March 2021, so we probably won’t see him in the majors until the middle of this year, if that. Once upon a time, he was a five-pitch guy who’d routinely hit 97 mph and could show multiple pluses, with 45 control that was trending up and a delivery that certainly did not explain the loss of command that was to come. Maybe he’ll return from the surgery as 2017-18 Whitley all over again. I hope so, because that player was awesome.

6. Alex Santos, RHP

Drafted: No. 72 in 2020

Santos was the Astros’ first pick in the 2020 draft, coming in the second round (the Astros lost their first-rounder that year as a penalty for the sign-stealing scandal), and the Bronx high schooler made his pro debut in Low A in 2021, showing premium stuff but not command. He’s a great example of a player hurt by MLB’s penurious choice to eliminate short-season baseball, as he would have been a perfect fit for the defunct New York-Penn League. Anyway, Santos was 92-96 mph with good life on the fastball with promise to both his slider and changeup, while the Astros have been working on adding a curveball to his mix. He worked short stints in part because he was wild – only 59 percent of his pitches were strikes and he walked one of every six batters he faced. He’s 6-4 and still lanky, with a lot of growth ahead of him, and doesn’t have the coordination yet to repeat his delivery. He’s got mid-rotation upside but maybe a five-year development project.

7. Cristian Gonzalez, SS

Gonzalez signed for just $300,000 back in 2018, but he’s emerged as one of the team’s top international prospects between his defense and his high-end exit velocities. Gonzalez has a plus-plus arm with good actions at shortstop, although at 6-5 he might end up moving to another position. His swing works and should lead to power, with exit velocities already well above the median for his age. He hit well enough in two weeks in the Florida Man League that the Astros bumped him up to Low A, even though he was 19 and hadn’t played outside of the Dominican Summer League before 2021, and he did some damage around a 31 percent strikeout rate in a month for Fayetteville. This is mostly projection, given the limited performance data and looks, but he has the ceiling of an All-Star third baseman.

8. Misael Tamarez, RHP

Tamarez is up to 97mph from a high slot with some deception, making it a very uncomfortable at-bat for hitters on either side of the plate. He misses bats with the fastball and a tight, high-spin slider, also throwing a curveball, but needs to improve his changeup (or try a splitter?) to be more effective against lefties. It’s 40 command and 45 control right now, but another half-grade on each would probably make him a big-league starter because his deception is so unsettling to hitters.

9. Colin Barber, OF

Bats: Left | Throws: Left
Drafted: No. 136 in 2019

Barber played just 16 games before he hurt his shoulder diving for a ball in the outfield, requiring surgery that ended his season. He’s transformed his body since we last saw him in 2019, running better and hitting the ball harder than before, so what he needs most is more repetitions to improve his timing at the plate and tighten his zone recognition. He’ll play at 21 this year, so he has time left to do so.

10. Tyler Whitaker, OF/3B

Drafted: No. 87 in 2021

The Astros didn’t pick until the third round in 2021, further penalties for the sign-stealing scandal, and made Whitaker their first selection with pick No. 87. A high school shortstop from Las Vegas, Whitaker moved to the outfield in pro ball, mostly playing center last summer, with a handful of appearances at third base. Whitaker can show 70 power, with good plane to his swing for hard line-drive contact, and he has a plus arm that will let him play center or right and at least gives him a chance at third base. He swings and misses way too often, though, with a leak at the plate that’s going to keep him vulnerable to soft stuff. It’s a small sample, but his 35 percent strikeout rate in 29 pro games should at least prompt some work on his weight transfer.

11. Joe Perez, 3B

Drafted: No. 53 in 2017

Perez was the Astros’ second-round pick in 2017 but entered last year with just 207 pro plate appearances due to Tommy John surgery and the pandemic. For him to come out last year and play a full season, at three levels, with a final composite line of .291/.354/.495, is in and of itself impressive – he had so little game experience, yet had 52 extra-base hits and more than held his own at Double A for the majority of his season. There’s work yet to do, as he is still not a very good defensive third baseman, and he needs to pick up some more strength for better durability through a full season. He has 60 game power already and at least projects as a low-.300s on-base percentage player with 20 homers, which would play at third base, with the chance that comes with regular playing time to improve his pitch recognition and maybe get that on-base percentage up into the average range.

12. Shawn Dubin, RHP

Drafted: No. 402 in 2018

Dubin missed two months with forearm inflammation but was effective in limited workloads in Triple A after his return. He continues to walk a few too many guys, but he’s kept the ball in the park and gets left- and right-handed hitters out. If his elbow and forearm are fine, he still has the stuff to be a back-end starter, even with his slighter frame.

13. Jordan Brewer, OF

Drafted: No. 106 in 2019

Brewer is athletic but inexperienced, with just one year of D1 baseball at Michigan and only 16 games in pro ball after he was drafted in 2019. The Astros sent him to Low A even though he was 21, recognizing that lack of reps and accounting for a minor injury that started his season a month late. He hit well but didn’t dominate like a 23-year-old should at that level, showing speed and some power but striking out 27 percent of the time against a lot of younger pitching. I was hoping he might go to the Fall League or perhaps to winter ball to get more playing time, because he’ll play at 24 this year and probably starts in High A. He’s still here because the pure athletic ability is too good to ignore.

14. Peter Solomon, RHP

Drafted: No. 121 in 2017

Solomon returned from COVID-19 protocol somewhat slowly but was back up to 94-96 mph in mid-summer before tapering back to 92-93 mph, which is what he showed in his big-league callup. He’s got a potential out pitch in his cutter/slider, and enough of a mix to potentially start, but he’s never really shown the command to do it, always getting by with 45 command and control because he had a couple of ways to get out of jams. I’d still give him a 20 percent chance to start, but he could help a team right now in relief.

15. Tyler Ivey, RHP

Drafted: No. 91 in 2017

Ivey missed most of 2021 with a recurrence of the elbow pain that popped up in 2019, although he still has not had to have surgery, and after four months of rest and rehab, he returned to make three minor-league appearances in September and October. He misses bats despite just fringy velocity thanks to huge deception from his high slot, which makes it very hard for hitters to distinguish his fastball from his downer curveball. It’s a funky delivery, and with his frequent elbow issues, he might need to just go to the bullpen and work with those two pitches.

16. Yainer Diaz, C

Diaz, acquired in the trade that sent Myles Straw to Cleveland, went bananas in the extreme hitter’s environment of Asheville after the trade, hitting 11 homers in 105 plate appearances after the Astros promoted him. He does hit the ball hard despite an unorthodox approach, with a slightly open stride but smooth swing he repeats well. He has a plus arm and the right build for a catcher, although he’s more of a fringy defender overall, enough to stay there as long as he hits. He could be a low-on-base percentage, 20-homer guy behind the plate, which starts on a lot of teams.

17. Jaime Melendez, RHP

Bats: Left | Throws: Right

Melendez is listed at just 5-8 but he spins the heck out of everything, with above-average velocity and potential 55 pitches in the slider and curve. His changeup lags behind – not shocking for a guy who spins everything well to struggle with the pitch you don’t want to spin – and he has to improve his command and control, walking 13 percent of batters last year, but also because a 5-8 pitcher can be homer-prone unless he either sinks the ball heavily (Marcus Stroman) or becomes more precise with his location. He just turned 20 in September and should start this year in Double A.

18. Alex McKenna, OF

Drafted: No. 132 in 2018

McKenna is a 70 defender in center with power that’s pushing plus, but he just strikes out way too often – 34 percent last year, consistent from High A to Double A – to project as more than an up-and-down guy. On the plus side, this was power he’d never shown before, and it wasn’t just the product of playing in hitter-friendly Asheville. Right now he’s an up-and-down guy, just with two really intriguing tools.

19. Wilyer Abreu, OF

Bats: Left | Throws: Left

Abreu is a plus defender in right with a tremendous throwing arm, and after a swing adjustment during the pandemic, he started hitting the ball a lot harder, although some of his offensive explosion last year was a function of a great home park in Asheville. It’s a bit of an unorthodox swing, raising concerns about his ability to make contact as he moves up.

20. Corey Julks, OF

Drafted: No. 241 in 2017

Julks made a swing adjustment before 2021 and saw a huge jump in power without any increase in his strikeout rate, hitting .287/.350/.491 as a 25-year-old in Double A. He’s a fringy defender in right, and given his age and build this is probably what he is, but he could also probably be someone’s fourth outfielder or bench piece right now.

Others of note

Shortstop Grae Kessinger, the team’s second-round pick in 2019, has made some swing adjustments in pro ball to try to get to some better-quality contact, but he was a cipher in Double A this year and remains a fringy defender at short. I’m keeping him alive, so to speak, to see if that contact quality leads to better results in 2022.

2022 impact

Solomon, Ivey and Dubin should all see big-league time this year, probably in the bullpen for all three. If the Astros don’t bring back Carlos Correa, could they give Jeremy Peña a shot at the job? Shouldn’t they?

The fallen

Jayson Schroeder, the Astros’ second-round pick in 2018 and one of the only high school pitchers the Astros took in a single-digit round under GM Jeff Luhnow, walked 82 batters in 64.1 innings in A-ball last year, with 11 hit batsmen and 22 wild pitches.

Sleeper

Cristian Gonzalez has the right combination of tools and present skills for a teenager who might make a big leap in his next season.

I'm hoping Korey Lee can be our first catcher that can hit since...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting. I’m pretty encouraged by his thoughts on Pena, Lee and some others. Also I didn’t realize Perez hit that well last season…given all his injuries, that is exciting.

Its not a flashy system right now, but the draft pick penalties are done now, so that figures to get better. If Pena and Lee can become average regulars in the next year or so, that would go a long way in keeping the lineup strong (Tucker and Alvarez should be elite offensively, Bregman could be also, Altuve should remain above average for a few more years, etc.). If a guy like Leon refines his game, he could be a star. 

8 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

There seems to be 3 main issues. 

Minimum salary: Owners offered $615k-$725k for service years 1-3. Players want $775k for everyone. 

Bonus pool for pre-arb players. Owners offer $15M. Players want $100M

CBT levels: see above for owners offer. Players want $245M immediately. 

There are other things as well but these are the main sticking points. Who is being greedy depends on what you think the clubs income statements really look like. 

The hilarious part of the CBT is not so more players get better contracts, it so that the top 10% of MLB players can get the $40M a year contracts. The MLBPA represents the interests of the top 10% of players, while the rest of the players are willing rubes.

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok so doesn’t seem like they are close at all and this could be a long lockout. What year was the last long lockout? 95? I can’t remember. I never understand how they don’t get this shit worked out the two years before the CBA runs out.

Once players start missing checks in 2 weeks, things will change.

Yall remember this face in 10 years on astros prospects list. Most of yall have seen lilshep grow up (appreciate all the kind words) . Played 4 games today. 7 for 8 at the plate. 5 innings 9 strikeouts no walks, no hits. Error free defense also. Our team went 4-0 for championship. Boys played from 9am to 930pm out in waller. That autographed baseball @Player has maybe worth something one day. 20220213_002530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Yall remember this face in 10 years on astros prospects list. Most of yall have seen lilshep grow up (appreciate all the kind words) . Played 4 games today. 7 for 8 at the plate. 5 innings 9 strikeouts no walks, no hits. Error free defense also. Our team went 4-0 for championship. Boys played from 9am to 930pm out in waller. That autographed baseball @Player has maybe worth something one day. 20220213_002530.jpg

As great as Lil’s stats are, being in Waller for 13 hours in the cold, with 25 mph north winds is just as impressive, showing commitment  and intestinal fortitude from the parents as well as the  kids. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Does he go to Texas 1st, or sign with the Astros out of HS?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1