Mass casualty event Astroworldfest. Multiple dead. Hundreds injured

FartingMonk

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Years ago I had it happen at the Galveston Mardis Gras - (but never had any issues in New Orleans). Anyway, there were chicks with us and I was pretty scared for them. It was hard enough for me to get to a side street. I think until it happens to you, it is a little hard to imagine the force of a crowd.

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras once and on Bourbon street the entire crowd fell over.  It was packed so tight that when it started we all fell.  Luckily no crush or push to go somewhere so we all got up, but crazy it could happen.

9 minutes ago, ABSR said:

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras once and on Bourbon street the entire crowd fell over.  It was packed so tight that when it started we all fell.  Luckily no crush or push to go somewhere so we all got up, but crazy it could happen.

That is pretty normal in NOLA on Bourbon during Mardi Gras.  Especially the Saturday night after Endymion.  That is why most locals stay away from the quarter until Fat Tuesday itself.  

The first Mardi Gras I went to was in 1997.  We were on Bourbon the Saturday night after Endymion.  I got lifted off my feet by the crowd for like a minute.  It was terrifying.  I never went back to Bourbon during the weekend before Fat Tuesday ever again.

• Hook 'Em 1

It says he did go unconscious but they gave him something to help

Those press conferences are always just sucking each other’s dicks for jobs well done. Might be ok if they thwarted something but not for a shitshow like this.

And why do they need 100 idiots standing behind the mayor?

51 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Valle Security Texas was what the guy’s shirt in the neon green said. 

this is confusing to me...it looks like the stage is behind this crowd?? like the people being crushed here are in the very back, facing away from the stage, trying to get over that barricade... that's not what i would have expected. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

The promoters/organizers are screwed.  Not NRG, not the city, and not the county.  HPD and HFD responded appropriately and quickly.  This was not a city/county event.  There were expectations for security and crowd control and attendance that were agreed to and then ignored by the organizers.  Their biggest issue right now is proving to their underwriters that they were within the scope of the policy.  Cue Morgan Freeman saying, "they weren't".

This was fully preventable.  The organizers chose to ignore the issues.  And I know one of the casualties.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Multiple young people going into cardiac arrest would lead me to believe there is a chemical element involved here.  Whether it was bad drugs being passed around or a crazy person with a needle is tbd.

Hypoxia causes cardiac arrest. That means nothing 

40 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Dude. He’s like…in the top 100 famous people in the world right now. Or something.

I’m guessing he didn’t top 100 on the math section of the SATs though! Same goes for his degenerate fans that stormed the ticket gates, trampled others, obstructed EMS, them tiktokked the victims. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Lollapalooza, 1992. The mud fest. so fucked up I lost my socks, but not my boots. 

When the dude from the Jim Rose sideshow started sticking skewers through his face, and then Al Jourgenson drank the guy’s freshly pumped out stomach contents. That was some wild shit in the stank ass Rosenberg humidity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

In grad school, I lived uptown between St. Charles and Magazine near Napolean so I didn't have to deal with the Bourbon St. crowds during Mardis Gras. Doesn't surprise me that it gets bad in the French Quarter but generally they do a pretty good job of keeping the crowd under control.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Spoetzl said:

The promoters/organizers are screwed.  Not NRG, not the city, and not the county.  HPD and HFD responded appropriately and quickly.  This was not a city/county event.  There were expectations for security and crowd control and attendance that were agreed to and then ignored by the organizers.  Their biggest issue right now is proving to their underwriters that they were within the scope of the policy.  Cue Morgan Freeman saying, "they weren't".

This was fully preventable.  The organizers chose to ignore the issues.  And I know one of the casualties.

Found the city of Houston employee. 

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Okay but can she not just convey the relevant details instead of turning it into a fucking drawn out English-lit project? 

Society is so fucked. And this ordeal is shining a light on a lot of different aspects.

I mean seriously - "a complete accounting" - Christ I weep for our future. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Okay but can she not just convey the relevant details instead of turning it into a fucking drawn out English-lit project? 

Society is so fucked. And this ordeal is shining a light on a lot of different aspects.

Let us all know what narrative you feel is fair and just.  It’s cool if you want to jump to conclusions. You have your opinion in your mind.  It’s anti-Houston, that’s ok.  Where else did it touch you?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Spoetzl said:

Let us all know what narrative you feel is fair and just.  It’s cool if you want to jump to conclusions. You have your opinion in your mind.  It’s anti-Houston, that’s ok.  Where else did it touch you?

You seem overly emotional and should probably step away from the Surly commentary on this news story. You already pmed me about it. 

Seriously dude - hope you're doing okay with losing someone that you knew but you are looking for validation and comfort in the wrong place. Or at least in the wrong thread. I'm not going to get weirdly subjective all of a sudden about a random news story because you were personally affected. Sorry. 

17 hours ago, WBT said:

How was this clown able to get rights to AstroWorld?  SixFlags and the Astros dropped the ball.  Also, if they had never torn down the Texas Cyclone this wouldn't have happened.

I worked coney island at Astroworld summer of 83. Best worst job I ever had at $3.35/hr.

46 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

379c8a065b29c6623019bb61070c3fa3.jpg
I wonder if there’s anything they could think of that might help us identify him?

I wouldn't go so far as to call a brother, Fat.  I mean, he got a weight problem.  What's he gonna do...he's Samoan.  

23 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

This is where the HFD chief was talking about rumors but here you go. Very scary if true:

7:30 AM PT -- A source connected to Astroworld tells TMZ, someone in the crowd went crazy and began injecting people with some sort of drug, which caused panic and then a surge. The source says authorities are trying to determine if those who went into cardiac arrest were the ones injected. We're told one of those who died is a 10-year-old. The source says it appears to be a targeted attack. We have not confirmed this report, but the source is a key person involved in the festival.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/06/travis-scott-astroworld-concert-stampede-dead-drake/

please man. Don’t post these garbage rumors. 

It’s the same victim blaming bullshit that happened after 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at Hillsborough. 

image.jpeg.114603b78b3db3f13295f695498b8b57.jpeg

The actual truth was absolutely piss poor planning by event organizers and police supervisors. Also, criminally negligent designed barricades. 

#JFT97

#fuckthesun

#fucktmz

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, Hate said:

My son is a Travis Scott fan and has been wanting to go to Astroworld.  He's 13 so there is no chance I'm letting hi go yet, but I'll have to use this as a teachable moment about what can happen if you go to a Travis Scott show.  Maybe he'll rethink it. 

image.png.83613f3e90939f727f79652f9bf4f2b8.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, Nicole44 said:

This is where the HFD chief was talking about rumors but here you go. Very scary if true:

7:30 AM PT -- A source connected to Astroworld tells TMZ, someone in the crowd went crazy and began injecting people with some sort of drug, which caused panic and then a surge. The source says authorities are trying to determine if those who went into cardiac arrest were the ones injected. We're told one of those who died is a 10-year-old. The source says it appears to be a targeted attack. We have not confirmed this report, but the source is a key person involved in the festival.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/06/travis-scott-astroworld-concert-stampede-dead-drake/

God dammit. Why can people seemingly not understand that large groups often act in irrational, dangerous ways all on their own volition? Emergent phenomena like crowd crushes, market crashes, and panic stockpiling are not that difficult to understand. A large set of human beings each acting in their own perceived self-interest and with incomplete information often stampedes itself right into a disaster. There’s no need for one omnipotent puppet master pulling the crowd’s strings. Quite the contrary: these things happen because there are a whole lot of people who understand very little about the reality of the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

please man. Don’t post these garbage rumors. 

It’s the same victim blaming bullshit that happened after 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at Hillsborough. 

image.jpeg.114603b78b3db3f13295f695498b8b57.jpeg

The actual truth was absolutely piss poor planning by event organizers and police supervisors. Also, criminally negligent designed barricades. 

#JFT97

#fuckthesun

#fucktmz

It was referenced as a rumor. I said as rumor. At the presser the rumor was corroborated by the HFC/HPD. TMZ is all about the Kardashians. Hence anything that won’t make Travis Scott as well as the event organizers and regulators look bad. I have mentioned that it was a rumor. It was corroborated during the Houston press conference. I have also mentioned that TMZ has an agenda several times. You don’t have to behave like I knowingly did something as a dog whistle on crowds of people behaving like that. Stampedes happen and they are tragic and when you consider the artist in question has been known to encourage his fans to rush the stage on several occasions as far back as 2015 plus incompetence with planning etc of course a tragedy like that will happen. Factoring in also the way the crowd was behaving well before that…storming the gates to get in and crashing through the gates and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I understand this is used multiple times (random bullshit explanations) for stampedes. The crowd began surging towards the stage as sooon as Travis began his solo set. There will be plenty of blame to go around and this type of festival seating when you have this type of event needs to be looked at much differently. Lots of blame. You don’t need to fucking shame me for posting an article and expressly saying it was a rumor while posting it. I’m pretty good with shit like that. Thanks.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

The “drugs in the syringe” story pushed by TMZ (who work closely with the Kardashians) was done to plant the seeds of doubt for a court case. Just like “if it doesn’t fit, you must acquit.” 

Exactly. One need only to go to their site this morning to see several articles about how Travis had no idea what was happening and is devastated. He had no idea there were at least two ambulances moving through the crowd with their lights on while he was high up on stage. He had no idea multiple people near the stage were jumping on it and begging for help and for the music to stop. That’s bullshit. He’s not the sole one to blame but he certainly isn’t innocent of this. Too much substantial evidence to the contrary that shows he encourages this type of behavior at his concerts as far back as 2015. But ya, the organizers, the city etc…everyone will be facing a reckoning. 

Anything to make it seem like the surge towards the stage was provoked by a phantom event and the inadequate safety protocols didn’t end multiple lives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But it’s completely unrealistic to say that someone, who can get 50k fans to show up, shouldn’t play a live show again. Our world doesn’t work like that.

Great White is still touring and 100 people died at their show. As long as you can insure someone, they will play.