It’s coaching vs we need new players thread

Rockethorn1978

Any coach should be able to maintain a .500 record in the Big 12 purely based on the talent UT draws. It takes special incompetence to do worse than that.

Watch the defensive plays from last night and then watch highlights from 2004, when Greg Robinson (my favorite d coordinator ever at UT) was coaching. Now Greg had a lot of talent but that D played out of its fucking mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, softlynow said:

Same roster that built a huge lead against the league’s clear leader, and a sizable one against the next 2 couldn’t go 8-4 under better management? Sure. Moronic take. 

and 4-7 OSU was up on Texas 28-12 at HT in 2005. You really can't be this stupid.

11 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

That isn't exactly what he said.  He's talking about who we actually have playing on campus, now. 

A lot of those guys were part of good classes. Also of the coaches knew this team blew who’s job is it to go road the portal and not go with a shitty group of players? 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know how you can argue Texas is more talented than a team that is about to have 5 to 7 times as many draft picks as us. 

The NFL drafts on raw talent. They don't give a shit if you play for a terrible team.

See our basketball team with all the first round picks and constant underachievement. Shaka was underachieving with "talent" because he actually had pro talent. The only justification people have for our talent is "recruiting rankings" but nobody in the NFL thinks we have raw talent. I dunno it's probably because we don't have raw talent. 

That’s not what he’s arguing.  He’s arguing Texas gets better raw prospects from high school, and they wind up not developing and otherwise wind up being assembled into a team that’s much less than it should be given the 3-5 star talent entering the program funnel.  Compare that to the teams that have beat us which, OU aside, get far less talent out of high school with their 2-3 star recruits, but winds up developing them into a real teams with more NFL caliber players as you have correctly noted.

That this is a problem spanning multiple recruiting classes and even multiple coaching staffs here at Texas is a strong tell that it’s not as simple as “shitty players!” or “shitty coaches!”

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

and 4-7 OSU was up on Texas 28-12 at HT in 2005. You really can't be this stupid.

Amazing what being able to score points in the second half will do. Thank god sark wasn’t our coach back then.   Not sure you are aware, but sark has never won a game when trailing at halftime. In his entire coaching history.  Mack was able to overcome such obstacles.  

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

A lot of those guys were part of good classes. Also of the coaches knew this team blew who’s job is it to go road the portal and not go with a shitty group of players? 

They did go to the portal and tried to bring in culture guys. Shit, Davis had to fight Kerstetter in the fall to get our OL leader to be a leader.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grandioso said:

Any coach should be able to maintain a .500 record in the Big 12 purely based on the talent UT draws. It takes special incompetence to do worse than that.

Watch the defensive plays from last night and then watch highlights from 2004, when Greg Robinson (my favorite d coordinator ever at UT) was coaching. Now Greg had a lot of talent but that D played out of its fucking mind.

watch the defensive plays in the first half last night and then the defensive plays against the same plays in the second half and explain why the same fucking players fill wrong gaps, start running around blocks instead of taking on blocks when it's the same damn defensive calls. are they tired? trying to do too much? just suck?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Amazing what being able to score points in the second half will do. Thank god sark wasn’t our coach back then.   Not sure you are aware, but sark has never won a game when trailing at halftime. In his entire coaching history.  Mack was able to overcome such obstacles.  

Yes, because Brown had the better team because the players were better. OU has much better players than Texas, which is why they were able to overcome a similar deficit. You can be mad all you want, but that isn't going to make Thompson or Card complete wide open passes more consistently.

Edited by HtownHorn

So basically since coaching doesn’t matter. Baylor, smu, Houston, other teams that don’t recruit close to top 30 classes all have 4/5 star studs and haven’t been coached up or developed by anyone. They just showed up studs and have played like studs. Got it. Good to know some don’t think a good coach and staff can develop guys and help them make strides to get better game to game. No one has ever said or expected us to be 10-2. We expect our coaches to show improvement and help develop our guys. If we had done that I think the only loss would have been ou and Arkansas since we got drilled from the kickoff. 

herman might have left sark undeveloped guys but sark isn’t developing or helping any of them advance. We look like shit then get worse as the qtrs and season progress. That’s all on coaching. Buck stops with him and his staff. 

3 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

didn't Mack say they stopped trying to coach VY and just let him do his thing?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That’s not what he’s arguing.  He’s arguing Texas gets better raw prospects from high school, and they wind up not developing and otherwise wind up being assembled into a team that’s much less than it should be given the 3-5 star talent entering the program funnel.  

NFL teams draft on raw talent. If you're talented they will draft you even if your school sucks or there's a lack of development. See our basketball team with zero development but a billion first round picks. 

My argument is that "we don't have better raw prospects." If there was raw talent NFL teams would be drafting them like our basketball team. Everyone knew that guys like Mo Bamba, Kai Jones, Jericho Sims, Jaxson Hayes, and Jarrett Allen were talented as fuck even though their teams/coach sucked. Now list those caliber players on the football team? 

We don't have that type of raw talent on the football team or we wouldn't be getting worked in the draft by schools like Iowa State (which is about to happen this year). How has this happened with so many 4 and 5 star players? I'm open to hearing some theories but the raw talent does not match their recruiting rankings. 

The development of Ossai and Sterns was pretty damn shitty if you ask me but teams still drafted them because they have raw talent. When Texas has 1 guy drafted this year while Iowa State has 5 to 7 guys drafted how can you argue we have raw talent? 

Edited by texasstrong12

I don’t remember what thread it was now but CTJ had this long ass diatribe about Mack ripping the roster down to the studs and how fucking awful it was for him as a coach and that he would never do it again. But sark should try it? The best coach we’ve had since Mack said don’t just dump everybody who is an asshole, malcontent, lazy, stupid, or bad at football. So here we are with bj foster spreading his cancer to Juan Davis lol. Bench foster you say? Adimora? He was listed as the worst tackler on the Texas football team, missed tackles at like a 20% rate. Anthony cook is a good story but he tried to portal once too. Cooks said fuck it as a freshman. Owens jetted. Our coaching needs to improve no doubt. I’m just not sure there was a scenario here where this season went well. No QB, no solid OL leader, no WR leader. Defensive side has absolutely no leaders. Overshown is more interested in building that agent 0 brand and blowing people up. Misses tackles like it’s his job. I don’t understand how we have zero leadership on the roster either but here we are. LB and DB coaches need an upgrade and we need Samples immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

watch the defensive plays in the first half last night and then the defensive plays against the same plays in the second half and explain why the same fucking players fill wrong gaps, start running around blocks instead of taking on blocks when it's the same damn defensive calls. are they tired? trying to do too much? just suck?

Yes.

You guys realize that even in our down years we getting recruiting classes that are the GODS of high school football in Texas? If we traded our whole roster with Baylor (who is ranked and way better than us) are you telling me our coaches would be doing better?

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's amazing how the team has gotten worse and worse every week. Imagine what they are going to look like in the final game. Like 20 3 and outs 

You mean they aren't playing Tech and Rice anymore and the defensive coordinators laugh at the fact that neither QB stresses their defenses more than 10 yards? What do you expect when Thompson skips the ball 5 yards in front of a wide open WR? What do you want when Card airmails a wide open WR by 10 yards? Do you think Mac Jones misses those passes? I just can't believe that after watching Colt McCoy drag those last 2 teams to 25-2 with a shitty OL, and 2 (in 2008, 1 in 2009) good skill position players to help him out, that we expect 2 shitty QBs with similar offensive personnel to do the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t remember what thread it was now but CTJ had this long ass diatribe about Mack ripping the roster down to the studs and how fucking awful it was for him as a coach and that he would never do it again. But sark should try it? The best coach we’ve had since Mack said don’t just dump everybody who is an asshole, malcontent, lazy, stupid, or bad at football. So here we are with bj foster spreading his cancer to Juan Davis lol. Bench foster you say? Adimora? He was listed as the worst tackler on the Texas football team, missed tackles at like a 20% rate. Anthony cook is a good story but he tried to portal once too. Cooks said fuck it as a freshman. Owens jetted. Our coaching needs to improve no doubt. I’m just not sure there was a scenario here where this season went well. No QB, no solid OL leader, no WR leader. Defensive side has absolutely no leaders. Overshown is more interested in building that agent 0 brand and blowing people up. Misses tackles like it’s his job. I don’t understand how we have zero leadership on the roster either but here we are. LB and DB coaches need an upgrade and we need Samples immediately. 

bullshit, this was a 2 loss team at most - 70% of Surly

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So basically since coaching doesn’t matter. Baylor, smu, Houston, other teams that don’t recruit close to top 30 classes all have 4/5 star studs and haven’t been coached up or developed by anyone. They just showed up studs and have played like studs. Got it. Good to know some don’t think a good coach and staff can develop guys and help them make strides to get better game to game. No one has ever said or expected us to be 10-2. We expect our coaches to show improvement and help develop our guys. If we had done that I think the only loss would have been ou and Arkansas since we got drilled from the kickoff. 

herman might have left sark undeveloped guys but sark isn’t developing or helping any of them advance. We look like shit then get worse as the qtrs and season progress. That’s all on coaching. Buck stops with him and his staff. 

Players have consistently improved and been developed under Banks, Bo Davis, Kwiatkowski, Flood, and Choate almost everywhere they've been. 

Sure players can  get developed but when they aren't with coaches that have a long history of development who is that on? And for the record, I definitely think there are issues with coaching but this roster is also complete shit and anybody that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. 

Alabama boards both want Bo Davis and Flood back but yeah we suck on the OL and DL because those two can't develop players. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You mean they aren't playing Tech and Rice anymore and the defensive coordinators laugh at the fact that neither QB stresses their defenses more than 10 yards? What do you expect when Thompson skips the ball 5 yards in front of a wide open WR? What do you want when Card airmails a wide open WR by 10 yards? Do you think Mac Jones misses those passes? I just can't believe that after watching Colt McCoy drag those last 2 teams to 25-2 with a shitty OL, and 2 (in 2008, 1 in 2009) good skill position players to help him out, that we expect 2 shitty QBs with similar offensive personnel to do the same.

This team is a 3 and out machine 

2 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

You guys realize that even in our down years we getting recruiting classes that are the GODS of high school football in Texas? If we traded our whole roster with Baylor (who is ranked and way better than us) are you telling me our coaches would be doing better?

Holgorsen was 4-8 in his 1st year at UH.

Dykes was 5-7 in his 1st year at SMU.

Aranda was 2-7 his 1st year at Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You think the portal had tons of players of interest after Spring practice? I am not going to put too much on them for not going after players before they even held a practice. I will be pissed if they are not active this off season 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This team is a 3 and out machine 

I mean yes, when your QBs can not complete passes longer than 5 yards consistently, you ain't doing shit offensively. How is this a hard concept to grasp? Answer my question, is Mac Jones missing all those wide open shots the Texas QBs have missed consistently this season?

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You think the portal had tons of players of interest after Spring practice? I am not going to put too much on them for not going after players before they even held a practice. I will be pissed if they are not active this off season 

Shit, the one guy everyone wanted, the Gray kid from Tennessee has been a complete bust at OU. Now given what we have seen out of the WRs, Rambo and Woods would have been huge gets for Texas.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Players have consistently improved and been developed under Banks, Bo Davis, Kwiatkowski, Flood, and Choate almost everywhere they've been. 

Sure players can  get developed but when they aren't with coaches that have a long history of development who is that on? And for the record, I definitely think there are issues with coaching but this roster is also complete shit and anybody that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. 

Alabama boards both want Bo Davis and Flood back but yeah we suck on the OL and DL because those two can't develop players. 

Well according to you guys players are either great or shit. No coaching needs to be done much when you have great guys. 

p.s. we aren’t bama. They are a well oiled machine for close to 15 years now. They change coaches on the regular and rarely miss a beat. This year is a outlier.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

NFL teams draft on raw talent. If you're talented they will draft you even if your school sucks or there's a lack of development. See our basketball team with zero development but a billion first round picks. 

My argument is that "we don't have better raw prospects." If there was raw talent NFL teams would be drafting them like our basketball team. Everyone knew that guys like Mo Bamba, Kai Jones, Jericho Sims, Jaxson Hayes, and Jarrett Allen were talented as fuck even though their teams/coach sucked. Now list those caliber players on the football team? 

We don't have that type of raw talent on the football or we wouldn't be getting worked in the draft by schools like Iowa State (which is about to happen this year). How has this happened with so many 4 and 5 star players? I'm open to hear some theories but the raw talent does not match their recruiting rankings. 

None of these highly rated recruits we are getting to come here are being recruited in a vacuum solely by us.  They all have offers from schools that would be a toss up against OU, beat OSU more often than not and rock Baylor and ISU nine-out-of-ten games.  Offers from schools that send plenty of players to the NFL.  For example, Overshown had offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU and OU among others.  Coburn had offers from Michigan, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma and others.  Joshua Moore had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Notre Dame, Michigan State and others.  The results are similar for 85% of our roster.

We win the recruiting war for these guys, and they come here to wind up developing into mediocre, less-than-NFL caliber talent who get goatassed by the 2-3 star recruits developed more fully at Baylor and ISU.

So yeah, how has this happened?   That’s the $25 million dollar question that you pay a head coach to come up with the answer for.  It’s cultural and environmental, and we’ll see this pattern continue until a coach exorcises it fully from the program.  Maybe that will be Sark, maybe not.  The only thing that is certain right now is that Texas is where good high school talent goes to see their NFL dreams die.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Shit, the one guy everyone wanted, the Gray kid from Tennessee has been a complete bust at OU. Now given what we have seen out of the WRs, Rambo and Woods would have been huge gets for Texas.

Coaches have blind spots and think they can snap fingers and make players better, so not going in hard on the portal before they had a single practice doesn’t surprise me. I am guessing the portal was somewhat picked over when they figured out what they needed. They miss on center and LBs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We don't have that type of raw talent on the football team or we wouldn't be getting worked in the draft by schools like Iowa State (which is about to happen this year). How has this happened with so many 4 and 5 star players? I'm open to hearing some theories but the raw talent does not match their recruiting rankings. 

The development of Ossai and Sterns was pretty damn shitty if you ask me but teams still drafted them because they have raw talent. When Texas has 1 guy drafted this year while Iowa State has 5 to 7 guys drafted how can you argue we have raw talent? 

Its a bad argument.  We have double or more the number of NFL players than anybody in the Big 12 but OU and we have 1 more than they do, 34-33.

In the last 15 years have had more talent than anybody in the Big 12 excepting OU for all but the Charlie Strong years.  Then we faced some more talented teams because Charlie was a lazy recruiter, making Mack 2006 on look like a really hard worker.

Our players get confused and miss assignments.  We aren't Alabama/Georgia/Ohio St. level of talent, but we are more than almost all the Big 12.

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

Its a bad argument.  We have double or more the number of NFL players than anybody in the Big 12 but OU and we have 1 more than they do, 34-33.

In the last 15 years have had more talent than anybody in the Big 12 excepting OU for all but the Charlie Strong years.  Then we faced some more talented teams because Charlie was a lazy recruiter, making Mack 2006 on look like a really hard worker.

Our players get confused and miss assignments.  We aren't Alabama/Georgia/Ohio St. level of talent, but we are more than almost all the Big 12.

That says nothing about the current roster. 

How many draft picks do we have in the next 2 years? Throw a number out there. It won't be more than 2 or 3 combined IMO. Outside of Bijan, we probably won't even have a top 5 round pick in the next 2 years other than him. 

Maybe Overshown if he tests well I guess. You wanna make a bet that over the next 2 years we aren't even in the top 3 in the Big 12 in draft picks? OU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State will almost certainly have more draft picks than us over the next 2 years. There are several other teams in the Big 12 that could likely end up with more picks than us too. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

That says nothing about the current roster. 

How many draft picks do we have in the next 2 years? Throw a number out there. It won't be more than 2 or 3 combined IMO. Outside of Bijan, we probably won't even have a top 5 round pick in the next 2 years other than him. 

Maybe Overshown if he tests well I guess. You wanna make a bet that over the next 2 years we aren't even in the top 4 in the Big 12 in draft picks? 

That's nothing but speculation.  Tell me how many get drafted from the rest of the Big 12 other than OU.  And I'm pretty sure we beat at least 8 of the other 9.

Just now, bullet said:

That's nothing but speculation.  Tell me how many get drafted from the rest of the Big 12 other than OU.  And I'm pretty sure we beat at least 8 of the other 9.

There is no shot we beat Iowa State in draft picks the next 2 years. 

They're going to have more guys drafted this year than we will over the next 2 and maybe 3 years. Iowa State is actually loaded with NFL talent and have been underachievers this year. They have a legit 5 to 7 guys that could be drafted this year. 

The only way we get more draft picks is if we hit the portal and start landing more talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a roster of soft, poorly developed pussies no doubt. But they are led by coaches that have shit the bed in 4 consecutive second halves. Both are abysmal.

Sark probably should have gotten someone better than Milwee to be his OC so his OL coach could devote all of his time to attempting to develop the water head pussies we call linemen. Sark obviously needs help at OC, because his complete lack of adjustments and absolutely lost QBs need more coaching than they are getting. He obviously needs more time to be a head coach, because this team of mental cowards look absolutely clueless about how to win a fucking football game. Naming a DC before picking all of his coaches for him would also seem to have been a good idea.

so the answer is yes, they both suck.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There is no shot we beat Iowa State in draft picks the next 2 years. 

They're going to have more guys drafted this year than we will over the next 2 and maybe 3 years. Iowa State is actually loaded with NFL talent and have been underachievers this year. They have a legit 5 to 7 guys that could be drafted this year. 

The only way we get more draft picks is if we hit the portal and start landing more talent. 

I seem to remember the announcers mentioning All America candidates on defense a few times last night and surprisingly we weren't on defense at the time.

4 hours ago, taybo20 said:

It is both. When you have elite talent it’s easy to see…Bijan and Xavier. The rest aren’t and it’s easy to see on the field. 

but being stupid as fuck in run fits on defense, or running in to each other on the oline…that’s coaching. And it’s clear that maybe some of this is just too much, too fast for a lot of these guys. 

so when you have decent athletes that have no clue what they are doing fundamentally, of course they get beat by lesser talented, harder working guys. 

we need better talent and we need simplified coaching to get these guys at the very least executing something other than there winning chances

I am guessing they tried to tell the nO-line to stop blocking air, and stop tackling or tripping your teammates, and to stop spinning in circles and falling down but they just keep doing it.   Some people are uncoachable it seems.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

bullshit, this was a 2 loss team at most - 70% of Surly

bullshit  70% of surly didnt think this was a 2 loss team.  the consensus was 8 or 9 wins which is 4 or 5 losses.  10 at the very high end perfect storm. 7 at the very worst.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean yes, when your QBs can not complete passes longer than 5 yards consistently, you ain't doing shit offensively. How is this a hard concept to grasp? Answer my question, is Mac Jones missing all those wide open shots the Texas QBs have missed consistently this season?

If only we had a QB coach on staff

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I am guessing they tried to tell the nO-line to stop blocking air, and stop tackling or tripping your teammates, and to stop spinning in circles and falling down but they just keep doing it.   Some people are uncoachable it seems.   

Kyle Flood's OL before Texas: 

Alabama '20 (7th sack rate)

Alabama '19 (4th sack rate)

Rutgers '15 (31st sack rate)

Rutgers '14 (22nd sack rate)

Kyle Flood at Texas: 

Texas '21 (102nd sack rate)

I'm not sure how involved Flood was with the OL at Rutgers but my understanding he was pretty much running the show. This guy was producing top 30 OL in sack rate at Rutgers and with the Texas talent it's currently 102nd.

I don't know how people can look at stuff like this and say it isn't a talent issue. The guy has been one of the best OL coaches in pass pro (even at Rutgers) and now he's all of sudden one of the worst. It's the players. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Sark has had 5 months of practice. That’s virtually nothing if you are looking for talent development. Getting better takes many, many more reps and it starts with fundamentals that don’t even have much of anything to do with strategy and playing the defense as called or the offense as called. The kind of repetition it takes to develop as a player takes 1-2 years, easily. It’s why freshmen rarely play in an established program. 

folks talking about talent, are you not listening? The top of the 2018 class is gone. We don’t have 4 and 5 star players as seniors. 2019 class was trashed too. We are playing walk-ons at The University of Texas for crying out loud.  Our talent is 3 star, at best. That’s Iowa State *at best* EXCEPT the ISU program has continuity. 

I don’t know about the second half problems. I don’t know if Sark became a different coach getting sober and coaching for Saban. 

but the first two points - it takes a shit ton of time to develop players and 5 months isn’t enough and our talent is shit are things I do know. 

I’m willing to take a wait and see on Sark as a coach based on what I do know and recognizing what I don’t know. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ultimate Failure said:

No, it's not that simple.  How do you explain our perennial top-10-rated recruiting classes?

Furthermore... Why should we need UGA, Bama or Ohio State's roster to beat Baylor?

Stars on paper don't always translate to on field performance. And I know you're going to..what about bama. tosu, etc. It helps when you have had a head coach in place for several years with schemes that every player has been recruited to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

2021 draft Texas had 33 players (2nd most to Florida) - 6 were OL https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/229-High-Schools-Have-Players-Selected-in-2021-NFL-Draft.aspx

2020 draft Texas had 34 players (first) - https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-2020-Jeff-Okudah-CeeDee-Lamb-Texas-high-school-football-146518252/

Most years is either TX or FL leading the way. There's plenty of talent in Texas, but plenty of schools coming here to recruit that talent as well. Per capita I presume we dont do as well. 

First round, not total. Who was the last elite offensive lineman who played high school football in Texas?