2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

59 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I guess this is real....this day is fucking stupid lol 

I like it.  Pollack is a solid player, but we had a logjam that was going to see talented youngster Gavin Lux riding pine way more than he should, and we really need to l=bolster the bully after the Jansen departure.  Remains to be seen if Kimbrel or Treinen close.  Roberts really likes Treinen in the "fire extinguisher" role.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I like it.  Pollack is a solid player, but we had a logjam that was going to see talented youngster Gavin Lux riding pine way more than he should, and we really need to l=bolster the bully after the Jansen departure.  Remains to be seen if Kimbrel or Treinen close.  Roberts really likes Treinen in the "fire extinguisher" role.

Yes, please use Kimbrel in a roll that he was awful at last year. Typical Roberts move.

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

DeGrom shut down totally for a month with shoulder inflammation. Then reevaluate. Could be a 1/2 of the season injury. 

As awesome as he has been, if you can't take the bump regularly, as he has been unable to do, how great are you really?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Upton DFA’d by the Angels, who still owe him $28M this year. That contract the Angels gave him in 2018 (5yr/$105M) was one of the worst in recent memory. 

Death, taxes, angels DFA’ing guys they owe ~$30M.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31441319/albert-pujols-officially-released-los-angeles-angels-becomes-free-agent

Manaea to Padres. 

The deal has been announced as Manaea and Aaron Holiday going to the Padres, and Oakland getting Euribiel Angeles and Adrian Martinez. Holiday was a 13th round pick of the A’s in the 2021 draft, a pitcher out of Old Dominion. Angeles, who turns 20 in May, is an infielder who had a very solid season at low-A in 2021. Martinez, 25, is a starting pitcher who split 2021 between AA and AAA. They were ranked 10th and 19th, respectively, in the BA organizational rankings for the Padres.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, TonyTexas said:

Upton DFA’d by the Angels, who still owe him $28M this year. That contract the Angels gave him in 2018 (5yr/$105M) was one of the worst in recent memory. 

They are so desperate to be relevant, that they make the most boneheaded decisions.  Trout is gonna waste away there.

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Very surprised you dont know Texas high school baseball's all time home run king, the pride of John Paul II in Corpus 

Damn, I actually don’t remember him at all. A lot of players got overshadowed by Tres Barrera, Eric Gutierrez & Courtney Hawkins in the south texas baseball scene back then. Shocked he made it and they (minus Barrera) didn’t. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
7 hours ago, slorch said:
Pujols starting opening day for 22nd consecutive year.

I’m absolutely pro- DH, but come the fuck on…

I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this...but what exactly is your grievance about this?

Touting a starting streak as a part time position ain't all that impressive.  Probably just me though...  Stupid expectations.

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Touting a starting streak as a part time position ain't all that impressive.  Probably just me though...  Stupid expectations.

He played in over 100 games last year with almost 300 PA and didn't primarily DH until he was 35. I think it's pretty damn impressive he's still fairly productive. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

He played in over 100 games last year with almost 300 PA and didn't primarily DH until he was 35. I think it's pretty damn impressive he's still fairly productive. 

That's being pretty fucking magnanimous

• Haha 1

And this. 

St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols said Monday he’s filing for divorce from his wife, Deidre, who had a brain tumor removed just days ago. Pujols, a near-certain Hall of Famer, conceded that his timing was awkward.

“I realize this is not the most opportune time with Opening Day approaching and other family events that have recently taken place,” the player said in a statement released by his agent. “These situations are never easy and isn’t something that just happened overnight.”

On Sunday, Deidre Pujols praised doctors “who saved my life and cared for me after such a major surgery” in an Instagram post.

The Cardinals veteran found out that last week’s operation was a success via a text he received during an exhibition game. He thanked fans for their well wishes, though perhaps tellingly he did not plan to leave the Cardinals’ training camp and travel to California to be with her, The Associated Press reported previously.

The couple has been married for 22 years.

“I am thankful for the five beautiful children that we brought into this world and remain committed to raising them in a loving and safe environment,” he added in the statement.

Guess Albert wants to slam as much pussy as possible on this farewell tour. 

Albert Pujols is going into his farewell season as a single man -- the MLB legend just announced his divorce from his wife of more than 2 decades.

"I've been asked a lot of questions over the past few days regarding what's been going on at home and sadly, after 22 years of marriage, I have made the decision to file for divorce from my wife, Deidre," Pujols said in a statement.

Pujols acknowledges the timing of the news -- considering his wife had brain surgery to have a tumor removed last week -- is not ideal ... but the split wasn't "something that just happened overnight."

"As a devout Christian, this is an outcome that I never wanted to see happen. For many long days and nights, I prayed, asking the Lord for His guidance."

Pujols -- who married Deidre in 2000 -- did not go into detail about the breakup.

"I am thankful for the five beautiful children that we brought into this world and remain committed to raising them in a loving and safe environment."

image.jpeg.da0120d8bdec20525f071dd29b4658cf.jpeg

Edited by Blotto
Beat to the punch by s_o2.0

1 hour ago, huge said:

He has been one of the worst hitters in MLB, but at least he's also easily the slowest.

He's only complete dogshit against righties; he hits lefties really well.  They can also have him run races against Yadi and a small child from the stands each day as a way to sell tickets.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 2