New (?) University in Austin

52-80

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

More broadly, though, the Meritocrats will win by leaning into the institution’s core values. Where those teams try and fail to implement top-down “team-first” concepts, the Meritocrats will compete, not just with their opponents but with each other. We begin with first principles: Why should a player “pass” to another, if that so-called teammate will simply utilize that opportunity to their own individual advantage? From the crucible of this competition for possession of the basketball, something powerful and true is sure to emerge; that is simply how competition works, and what it does.

I know that's parody, but it's beautiful, because I can name quite a few teams that were coached this way.

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

These cowards should hire David Roth to coach their basketball team:

Tell me "not up to Stanford's standards for being normal" isn't the perfect description of everyone involved. 

21 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

"Debate Me Bro" University is spot-on for this contrarian congregation of hubris-built idoicy. 

Damn, two solid posts back-to-back.

"A group of scholars and activists are planning to establish a new university dedicated to free speech, alarmed, they said, “by the illiberalism and censoriousness prevalent in America’s most prestigious universities.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/us/ut-austin-free-speech.html

I can't think of any better representation of faux intellectualism than using two very obscure words while criticizing legitimate education. 

Or "When you think you're smart but are just an asshole."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck that, we should start our own university.  Some of us keep talking about getting in on all of the grift that's going on out there, and a university seems like the perfect fit.

I should be delighted to give an occasional little old lecture or two.

And my office needs are modest; something in the cellar, not overly far from the Texas Gold Depository vault.

948e052c8ac0c0d2f8bc4a92b3ebbbdb.gif

Edited by RDCanecutter
I do apologize for my lapse in syntax, sir.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:15 PM, atomheartbevo said:

One of the board members is a co-founder of Palantir.

Also, while I recognize several of those board members, I wonder which ones actually believe in this and which ones are just cashing a check.

Yes, Joe Lonsdale is expanding his presence in Austin.  His team has several projects in the works.  For example, LIT (https://www.lonsdaleinvest.com/) is in progress and will more than likely succeed. I know several key people involved.  Needless to say, it will be LIT.

I remember when I was at UT, Henry Kissinger was cancelled from speaking at the LBJ school. Meanwhile, Jesse Jackson and his fleet of white lincolns showed up on the south mall to protest G.W. Bush... This was all before "cancer culture" was a thing.

All schools start somewhere, but if University of Austin can attract top notch teaching talent and foster actual debate and learning and not some woke echo chamber that many on here seem to enjoy, then I can see this school doing very well here. Not sure why the jokes unless some of you fucksticks feel threatened by it. 

18 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I remember when I was at UT, Henry Kissinger was cancelled from speaking at the LBJ school. Meanwhile, Jesse Jackson and his fleet of white lincolns showed up on the south mall to protest G.W. Bush... This was all before "cancer culture" was a thing.

All schools start somewhere, but if University of Austin can attract top notch teaching talent and foster actual debate and learning and not some woke echo chamber that many on here seem to enjoy, then I can see this school doing very well here. Not sure why the jokes unless some of you fucksticks feel threatened by it. 

Kissinger backed out of that event. He cancelled himself.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

if the school wanted to be taken seriously, it would have launched itself as a serious school.  they shape their own image.  they chose to be the below guy.  i'm not obligated to treat them seriously when they voluntarily adopt a non-serious posture.

d4d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

She posts a series of factual inaccuracies, gets called out on it, and then proposes a debate. What the fuck is there to debate you stupid cunt? Ah I see, this will be a university that is dedicated to the promotion of "alternate facts". just what we need.

32 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I assume most people here like myself are more irritated with the location and name than anything else. If it was the University of Lubbock, I wouldn't care as much. But it feels like these people are trying to coast on our name and prestige.

This new school is the J.T. Marlin of schools.

The signal I’m getting from all the usual posters here tells me this is a good idea with legs. The current University culture is hostile to thought or discussion outside the current woke ideology. I have a first degree relative that is a professor at the University and they basically have to stifle any communication about any cultural topics. Official communication commonly goes in depth on topics unrelated to their area of expertise. Dissent in the past has been used against people.

I would agree that some of the participants make me cringe, but maybe that’s the point. Does everybody have to be on the same team?

No fan of Summers and Palantir founder involvement is not ideal. Although this makes him more likable. 

In his 12 months as an Austin resident, Lonsdale has reportedly donated tens of thousands to the controversial Save Austin Now PAC, the group instrumental in reinstating the city's homeless ordinance in May. Last week, Lonsdale tweeted that men who took paternity leave were "losers." 

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, ChickenNuggets said:

musta been weird being on campus in your 40s

11 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

the best evidence for this is that people i don't like disagree with it.  very familiar theme coming from a particular group.

It seems really weird that this elicits they typical tribal histrionic reaction. I have no idea if it will succeed or not, but there is a lot of information content in the cartoonish responses. U.S. higher education has some significant problems, and I welcome anyone attempting an innovative model. I also like the idea that it wants to return to the academy to its traditional values of liberalism and freedom. Time will tell if the market wants it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

The signal I’m getting from all the usual posters here tells me this is a good idea with legs.

The signal I'm getting from responses like this is proof of a grift. Give them your money already. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Haha 5

Just now, Satoshi said:

I thought this was a good piece. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. If it progresses over time will be a positive for Austin. 

Yes, such a serious institution. No reason to compare it to Trump U. 

How long ago was it that you expressed your affinity to the project because one of the founders called men who take paternity leave "losers?" 20 minutes?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yes, such a serious institution. No reason to compare it to Trump U. 

How long ago was it that you expressed your affinity to the project because one of the founders called men who take paternity leave "losers?" 20 minutes?

Why you bringing up old shit?

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Henry Kissinger is responsible for the deaths of well over a million Cambodians.  I’d publicly beat him with my bare hands if I could be let in his presence.  

Not sure if that’s what you were gibbering about, but I wanted to put that out there 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

It seems like none of the big names will actually be involved in this college. What are the odds it's just a bunch of ACC and Texas State profs doing side gigs?

I want to see what their pay scale for professors is, and if they are offering full-time employment. If they think they're gonna string along a bunch of adjuncts, while admin all get 6 figures? Well, cool-- if I can get an admin job. But if so they are just doing same ol' same ol'.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, F250 said:

I assume most people here like myself are more irritated with the location and name than anything else. If it was the University of Lubbock, I wouldn't care as much. But it feels like these people are trying to coast on our name and prestige.

I'm just irritated at the grift.  But also them trying to coast on our name and prestige.  But mainly the grift.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. If it progresses over time will be a positive for Austin. 

Nothing will come of it.  If they were serious, they would build in an area where they would have room to grow, and that's not Austin, and they'd' have actual concrete plans and a helluva lot more information than they have put out, given their time frame.  There are plenty of places around Texas they could build if it was merely about being in Texas.  But it's not, it's about trading on UT Austin's reputation.

Here's the thing:  If this is about certain political leanings, there are already multiple universities in the Austin area that lean right - there's Concordia and St. Edwards, and Baylor is not far away.  "Oh, we want to build a secular school because those other universities don't like sex and stuff!" okay, then Texas State is down the road in a great college environment, and has plenty of students/alumni that lean right.

but-wait-theres-more.jpg

If it's truly about building a university that leans right, Texas A&M is down the road as well, and it's one of the largest and most conservative universities in the US.

"Oh, but we want control and to present a certain type of program!"

If these people actually had tens of millions of dollars, they could pull up to Collie Station or San Marcos, and they would get an audience with John Sharp or Denise Trauth, who would gladly setup a program/school oriented whichever way they wanted and under their control.

This is just somebody wanting to build another aggy, but under their control and in a better place than Collie Station.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nothing will come of it.  If they were serious, they would build in an area where they would have room to grow, and that's not Austin, and they'd' have actual concrete plans and a helluva lot more information than they have put out, given their time frame.

Look out off the tollway, where Elon Musk is building his megafactory.  There's lots of room.  Elon might even donate it (he's got an ego -- put his name on the main campus, he'd be all about it).  That would give them poetic symmetry, too -- Elon is a spiritual idol of this bunch.

I can absolutely see this happening -- there's a lot of narcissist tech billionaire dollars that can make it a reality.  The funny part will be if it DOES happen......how quickly that this bastion of "free thinking" will become exactly what it hates.  Will it tolerate criticism and objective analysis of the actions and ideas of its thought leaders?  Or will the do exactly what they've done across the board so far -- claim that they are being stalked and persecuted, and either take their ball and go home or shut down dissent?

The Twitter exchange was laughable.  They don't want "debate."

And again, I say this acknowledging that many of the thought leaders have some very interesting ideas and positions worthy of discussion.  But their "woe is me" edge-lord meme approach is asinine and narcissistic.  And the failure of this venture ultimately won't be because of their ideas; it will be because of the people who hold them, their egos, and their (ironic) inability to handle actual pointed criticism and contrary ideas and information.  

TLDR; this will fail because many of the personalities involved are actually the snowflakes they claim to hate.

• Hook 'Em 2

Do enough college age kids give enough of half a shit about "stuff the librul elite universities won't teach" to want to go to a school like this with 137 other people?  I think no.  Therefore, I think it will be an unsuccessful, ongoing grift.  But if they find people dumb enough to give them $250M in startup money, they can probably all get fat "trying."

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Do enough college age kids give enough of half a shit about "stuff the librul elite universities won't teach" to want to go to a school like this with 137 other people?  I think no. 

Yep.  And based on who is behind this, students will have to be careful about what they post on social media, lest they get called into Dean Wormer's office.  

If a kid wants to go to school in the Austin area and can't get into UT, and their parents can't pony up for St. Ed's, it'll be Texas State.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  And based on who is behind this, students will have to be careful about what they post on social media, lest they get called into Dean Wormer's office.  

If a kid wants to go to school in the Austin area and can't get into UT, and their parents can't pony up for St. Ed's, it'll be Texas State.

Let's not forget about ACC.

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Let's not forget about ACC.

As somebody who has recently taken some classes at ACC, it's feeding all of the area schools - UT, St. Ed's, Texas State.    And I always forget UT-San Antonio.

And ACC is offering a couple of four year degrees now.

Hell, we'll probably have our kids do a year at ACC before they head off to UT or wherever.

Edit: Actually, they can do some ACC stuff while still in high school.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As somebody who has recently taken some classes at ACC, it's feeding all of the area schools - UT, St. Ed's, Texas State.    And I always forget UT-San Antonio.

And ACC is offering a couple of four year degrees now.

Hell, we'll probably have our kids do a year at ACC before they head off to UT or wherever.

Yeah, the reality of how hard it is to get into UT is sinking in.  Nothing wrong with getting those core classes out of the way at a UT satellite school and making your way to Austin for the money shot.

I filled in plenty of classes I didn't want to take at UT by taking them over the holidays or during the summer at HCC.  I summarize it on my resume as "University of Texas at Austin, BA English 1996."

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

It’s a total grift and will fail spectacularly and then the lawsuits come, then bankruptcy.

Kinda embarrassing for Austin given the scam university name but when you become a big city you take the good with the bad I guess. We’ve managed to survive Alex Jones, Charles Whitman, the servant girl annihilator, that bomber dude, the guy who flew a plane into the IRS building,  the yogurt shop murderers, etc. all so far unscathed.

• Hook 'Em 1