Lemon Laws

milkman

I would be irate.  

What kind of truck?  

What’s the problem?

What dealership?  

Did your truck disappear into a black hole and they just don’t call you or do they communicate with you and tell you they can’t diagnose the problem or they know what they problem is but they can’t repair because “reasons?”

• Like 1

F-150

You would be driving down the road and all of a sudden the truck would go into limp mode.  You would have to come to a complete stop and shut off the truck and it would reset and work fine for a couple of days.  First time this happened we took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong.  Then a few days later the dash lit up like a christmas tree and has been in the shop every since.  Here is what all they have fixed so far but it is still having issues.

1. New valve body installed in transmission

2. Replaced catalytic converters

3. Replaced crankshaft sensor

4. Replaced powertrain control module

5. Now they are going to replace the crankshaft tone wheel. 

I have asked on a couple of occasions for a loaner vehicle since this has been ongoing for over a month.  They keep telling me nothing has been turned in which I think is BS.

Perhaps a blinding glimpse of the obvious but:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

Sounds like you need to send them a certified, strongly worded letter.  There's a sample at the link.  Note that you send it to FoMoCo, not the dealer.

That will put them on notice and probably get the ball rolling on something.  If no satisfaction there, you file with Texas DMV, who seemingly would order repurchase.

I am of the understanding that the manufacturers understand their exposure here and tend to do the right thing.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

As a serious response, about a decade ago I represented a good friend's mom who bought a nice Carriage travel trailer for her and her husband to enjoy in their retirement road-tripping years.  It was a piece of shit that broke down repeatedly with no permanent fix by the dealer.  So I filed an administrative action with the DMV, the manufacturer hired some big law goober to defend it, the administrative law judge scheduled an inspection of the trailer, and I can't recall whether the judge had a hearing or if he just decided it on the papers, but he ordered the manufacturer to buy back the trailer.  The manufacturer even filed a motion for rehearing which was denied.

I have no idea if the DMV is generally predisposed toward consumer or manufacturer/dealer, but I offer this as just one data point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/9/2021 at 10:15 AM, zman13 said:

Also consider talking to Ford (the manufacturer). Sometimes the manufacturer will buy back the car. The dealership may/may not assist with this process.

To this end, there are frequently mfr customer service reps on the bigger fora for vehicles.  They volunteer assistance with big or nagging issues.

You MIGHT be able to find one on one of the F150 forums, pm them, and get some speedier resolution.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also consider talking to Ford (the manufacturer). Sometimes the manufacturer will buy back the car. The dealership may/may not assist with this process.

I just want it fixed or they can get me a new one! With the current market situation I would get screwed in a buy back situation based on what I bought the vehicle for versus current market value.