Anyone happen to know much about living in Manhasset, New York?

naija

It is in Long Island.

Sarah Silverman Eww GIF by HULU

Seriously though, other than the fact that there is massive open air luxury mall there (Americana) and it was partially the inspiration for The Great Gatsby, that is all I have.  I tend to not venture too far out of the 5 boroughs (well, 4 because who wants to go to Staten Island!) as there is way too much to keep me occupied.

Great place, small-town feel and strong community identity. MIL grew up there and her mom lived in the same house for 75+ years so we'd visit a few times a year when we'd hit up NYC. Its just a 20-30 minute ride on LIRR so easy commute if you needed. I'd live there without reservation.

Housing is very expensive even compared to other nice parts of NY - after grandma died a few years ago, MIL sold the house for lot value for well over $1mm. But you get all the amenities of a nice community for paying that, everything is clean, generally safe, good public schools, upscale, etc.

As an aside, there's a nonfiction book written about the author basically growing up in a bar on the main street called Publicans - The Tender Bar. Good read. Grandma had her 100th birthday there and her scotches were on the house.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Generally speaking its very nice. Close to the city, good schools. Neighboring "towns" like Roslyn, Oyster BAy Cove, Syosset, Ertc are all nice....what do you want to know?

I live out in Dix Hills

My wife who is a Long Island native, South shore....she thinks its lovely.

Edited by next2naus

Last time we ventured to NYC, we headed out on the LIRR to see some of the places people actually live, and wife wanted to see the Amityville Horror house, which actually was kind of amusing.

I was pretty impressed with all of the various LI burbs.  Seemed super-livable, and ocean proximity was nice.

Pretty sure if I lived in NYC, I'd do that over heading north or south.

2 minutes ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

I don't know how to edit my post, but it looks like Clooney directed a movie adaptation of the book that will get released in about a month. Small world.

they reset it to NEw England from what I can tell, Ben Crapflick stars in it. Release on Netflix....I'll watch it.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:18 PM, closetohumping said:

Make a decision yet op?

no.

thanks for all the comments.

"Housing is very expensive even compared to other nice parts of NY"

this part is worrisome. have to figure out what a living salary would be there then. I'm guessing not much in the way to The Blacks either.

It's pretty white: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/manhasset-ny

Then again I live here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/dix-hills-ny

and the Whitest thing I can say is my neighbor across the street are black and that we are adjacent to here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/wheatley-heights-ny and here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/wyandanch-ny. My other two neighbors are Chinese and Greek and there are other ethnicities on our  street. Our little 22 some house nabe is pretty diverse all things being equal. Manhasset can be very white, very Persian, especially as you get closer to Great Neck. It's Jewish but not as Jappy as say Roslyn. I like it there and the proximity to the city is great. I get more bang for the buck in Dix Hills. I get great public/municipal  services, parks, and schools for the taxes I pay. The schools are great. 

I'm just a kid from Austins 78731, good public school trash from McCallum HS.

I'm 50 min in a car or the train to NYC, and the train stop while in Wyandanch is only six minutes away. I'm an hour and change to the Hamptons

9 minutes ago, next2naus said:

It's pretty white: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/manhasset-ny

Then again I live here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/dix-hills-ny

and the Whitest thing I can say is my neighbor across the street are black and that we are adjacent to here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/wheatley-heights-ny and here: https://datausa.io/profile/geo/wyandanch-ny. My other two neighbors are Chinese and Greek and there are other ethnicities on our  street. Our little 22 some house nabe is pretty diverse all things being equal. Manhasset can be very white, very Persian, especially as you get closer to Great Neck. It's Jewish but not as Jappy as say Roslyn. I like it there and the proximity to the city is great. I get more bang for the buck in Dix Hills. I get great public/municipal  services, parks, and schools for the taxes I pay. The schools are great. 

I'm just a kid from Austins 78731, good public school trash from McCallum HS.

I'm 50 min in a car or the train to NYC, and the train stop while in Wyandanch is only six minutes away. I'm an hour and change to the Hamptons

60% white is still pretty diverse.  More diverse than I thought honestly.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, naija said:

this part is worrisome. have to figure out what a living salary would be there then. I'm guessing not much in the way to The Blacks either.

45 minutes ago, naija said:

it's ok, I have a Black friend.

You are one seriously stupid motherfucker.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Great place, small-town feel and strong community identity. MIL grew up there and her mom lived in the same house for 75+ years so we'd visit a few times a year when we'd hit up NYC. Its just a 20-30 minute ride on LIRR so easy commute if you needed. I'd live there without reservation.

Housing is very expensive even compared to other nice parts of NY - after grandma died a few years ago, MIL sold the house for lot value for well over $1mm. But you get all the amenities of a nice community for paying that, everything is clean, generally safe, good public schools, upscale, etc.

As an aside, there's a nonfiction book written about the author basically growing up in a bar on the main street called Publicans - The Tender Bar. Good read. Grandma had her 100th birthday there and her scotches were on the house.

just looked at properties on Zillow. everything over 2,000 sq-ft well over $1M. can't say it's all that surprising, but it does give me a migraine.

Wife is a NY’er and she despises LI. She’s a Westchester/Dutchess/Orange County snob. That said, I can’t help you. And you can’t avoid Black people there unless you go out to Suffolk county. One of the most racist towns I’ve ever been to is on LI. Ronkankama. Not much better than Vidor.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This thread is getting confusing.  OP is black and searching for diversity I think. He just worded his post incorrectly 

For the record I considered whether that was a possibility, whether I was somehow misunderstanding, and I went back and re-read the thread and was like naaaah.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, Hermanator said:

Had a west African cab driver once. Kept complaining about the dirty and disgusting "hip hoppers" giving his people a bad name by association of color. It was in long Island

we had a cabbie in Amagansett one night regal us of mucvh he despised the "Boober" (Uber) for ruining the cab business. LI Cabs are a whole thread unto itself.

it's Ronkonkoma, and its where you wake up if you pass out on my train line coming home in the evening, the poors also take it to Macarthur Airport to fly Southwest. 

• Haha 1

honestly, if it was just me, the diversity thing wouldn't matter much. I'm comfortable in all sorts. Things change when you throw kids into the mix, and you start contemplating what it would mean putting your kids in school systems where they would make up 3%, no matter how great they are. Because, to be real, American schools can be real hotbeds of meanness and job #1 through #5 is making sure she isn't messed up in life. I would have put down that idea a decade ago, but I've seen enough kids come through with self-harm that it has taken up permanent space in my brain.

That side, its looking like I might get to pay the area a visit sooner rather than later. Not sure winter is the best time to do so, but it should be instructive. Will see if I can hook a realtor at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/5/2021 at 8:41 PM, naija said:

That side, its looking like I might get to pay the area a visit sooner rather than later. Not sure winter is the best time to do so, but it should be instructive. Will see if I can hook a realtor at the same time.

If you happen to go this month, the downtown strip along Plandome Rd. is decorated up like a scene out of Its a Wonderful Life. It's almost silly. Almost. 

• 3 months later...