Happy Birthday (246th) Jarheads!

WillUSAF

My dad (far right) in Korea, probably 1950.  Sergeant in the Marine Corps, he was a mortarman and the reason that I joined the Corps.  He died about 8 years ago.  He was a man with his faults, but a fantastic father that made sure to spend time with me.  He taught me more than I can possibly express here.

Edited to add that we talked every Marine Corps Birthday after I got out of boot camp. 

Dad in Korea.jpg

Edited by You don't know me
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Had two uncles in.  And two cousins still in, force recon actually.  Happy birthday goofballs.  

Best friend.  His step brother was force recon and then transitioned into years of contract work.  He's ranching out near Millersview to this day.  Not someone's property I would want to stumble across or poach on, but a good guy to have in your corner.  

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Proud son of a Marine who served from 1966 to 1993. I was born in Quantico and graduated from high school in Camp Lejeune. I never served, but the Marine Corps is still in my blood.

Happy Birthday, and thank you to all who’ve served.

Have you heard about this?

image.thumb.png.6ab5f29f3cce9f20daccea2f6597a3d8.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Have you heard about this?

Yes, very well.  My family was stationed in Lejeune toward the end of the contamination period.  And we may have been in a neighborhood that was less affected or not affected at all, because neither my family, nor anyone who I've kept in touch with over the years, have come down with cancer or some other disease or illness that might be traced to this.  (Having said that, my dad did get bladder cancer in late 2020 at 76 years old, but he's in remission and who knows if that's tied to this issue. I'm sure he was exposed to agent orange and a lot of other shit in Vietnam.) 

As much as I live the Corps, this is a pretty big and unacceptable fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gravestone of World War II Medal of Honor recipient John Basilone

Section 12, Grave 384

Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone (1916-1945) was awarded the Medal of Honor for extraordinary heroism in combat at Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, in October 1942. During brutal fighting with heavy casualties on both sides, he killed at least 38 Japanese soldiers. He returned home to a hero's welcome, including a parade featured in "Life" magazine. But he requested to return to combat, stating that he was just "a plain soldier" who belonged with his unit. On February 19, 1945, Basilone was killed in action leading an assault off the beaches of Iwo Jima. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the only enlisted Marine to be honored with both the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor citation:

"For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machine guns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its guncrews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service."

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Proud son of a Marine who served from 1966 to 1993. I was born in Quantico and graduated from high school in Camp Lejeune. I never served, but the Marine Corps is still in my blood.

and so are the toxic chemicals

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Did you drink any contaminated water?

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

Gravestone of World War II Medal of Honor recipient John Basilone

Section 12, Grave 384

Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone (1916-1945) was awarded the Medal of Honor for extraordinary heroism in combat at Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, in October 1942. During brutal fighting with heavy casualties on both sides, he killed at least 38 Japanese soldiers. He returned home to a hero's welcome, including a parade featured in "Life" magazine. But he requested to return to combat, stating that he was just "a plain soldier" who belonged with his unit. On February 19, 1945, Basilone was killed in action leading an assault off the beaches of Iwo Jima. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross, the only enlisted Marine to be honored with both the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor citation:

"For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machine guns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its guncrews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service."

Don't want to start a Band of Brothers v. The Pacific debate (I favor the latter because of my Marine Corps heritage), but I really liked the portrayal of John Basilone in The Pacific.  The guy was a stud, and even more of a hero that he wanted to go back into combat when he didn't have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sands of Iwo Jima for the win. And no one should forget Saipan. 

BTW- If in DC go to the memorial when the Marine's play Taps. Arlington behind you, DC in front. Tonight all over the world Diplomats will stand at post 1 so the young Marines can get fucked up in their blues. Best uniform our nation ever had. I say this as an Army brat. Go Army, Beat Navy. 

image.thumb.png.ee9fd9a28a43b199d3e8e1103bff96ae.png

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Whenever I say yes sir or ma’am and somebody tells me not to, I say I’ll try but my dad was a Marine.

I still use admiral/captain/lieutenant/etc with Navy friends or folks who serve or retired.  They tell me not To.  But I explain that my great grandfather (kriegsmarine), grandfather (PO2) and father (PO3) would roll over in their graves if they knew I was speaking with an officer and not addressing them correctly since we are a Navy family.  After a few minutes, I stop but it makes me think they’re smiling down at me.  I still call my grand uncle, ‘Submariner Steve’ at 94yo even though he hasn’t been under water even to swim since 1951

yall have a wonderful Veterans Day weekend.  To a world without war…

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I still use admiral/captain/lieutenant/etc with Navy friends or folks who serve or retired.  They tell me not To.  But I explain that my great grandfather (kriegsmarine), grandfather (PO2) and father (PO3) would roll over in their graves if they knew I was speaking with an officer and not addressing them correctly since we are a Navy family.  After a few minutes, I stop but it makes me think they’re smiling down at me.  I still call my grand uncle, ‘Submariner Steve’ at 94yo even though he hasn’t been under water even to swim since 1951

yall have a wonderful Veterans Day weekend.  To a world without war…

It’s weird to me when people are addressed by their rank when they are no longer in.  It’s a bit Uncle Rico-ish to me.

I only do it with folks currently serving or folks who retired at that.  It's just how it was in our family being surrounded by actives and retirees all the time.    And like I said, they stop me, I'll usually do it one more time for shits 'n grins, and then stop.  It was never used to address people who did 4 or 8 years though in hindsigh.        But to your point, yeah...it's weird to call my friend Kevin "Lieutenant" after he left after 12 years or whatever.  Or my Air Force Captain neighbor, I'd never call him Captain.  But guys that retired at Admiral, or Colonel or Captain, I sure as shit still address them by that until they stop me.  I've called him Admiral Inman 100 times and he's never stopped me and said, "no please, call me Bob."  So there's that, too . 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

It’s weird to me when people are addressed by their rank when they are no longer in.  It’s a bit Uncle Rico-ish to me.

Depends. With friends, I call them by their name. If professional, I respect the rank.

Nope, once you earn it you are that. I call Generals and Colonels by their rank. I call one Colonel I work with asshole all the time. Never on a call or in front of others. Majors are Majors. Sergeant Major is Sergeant Major. I work in that world and it bothers me none. 

Dad (retired SF LTC) can call a General Fuck Face. I never earned that right. 

31 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Depends. With friends, I call them by their name. If professional, I respect the rank.

Nope, once you earn it you are that. I call Generals and Colonels by their rank. I call one Colonel I work with asshole all the time. Never on a call or in front of others. Majors are Majors. Sergeant Major is Sergeant Major. I work in that world and it bothers me none. 

Dad (retired SF LTC) can call a General Fuck Face. I never earned that right. 

nah, I didn’t mean you didn’t owe it to someone who you cross paths with, and they are still currently fulfilling that billet.  I meant the folks who have been out for x amount of years and insist on people still calling them by rank.

Your scenario is definitely different. 100% agree with you.

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

I meant the folks who have been out for x amount of years and insist on people still calling them by rank.

If it's a Marine whom I know and grew up with, I'm addressing them by their rank, though I doubt they'd insist on it.  One of my best friend's dad made it to General, and if I saw him today, I'm sure as hell not calling him Larry, or Mr. _________.

Funny thing is, I've referred to my dad as "Colonel" for about 25 or 30 years.  There's a lot baked into that, mostly love and respect.  And over those years it's rubbed off on my friends, who have also called him "Colonel," and we've often referred to him as "The Colonel."  My dad has never said this to me, but my mom told me he hates that.  Maybe he thinks there's some tongue-in-cheek resentment I have over growing up as a dependent (it ain't an easy life, but I mostly loved it), or maybe he thinks that once he took off the uniform he left the rank behind. 

• Hook 'Em 3

very legit perspectives, on both points.

I would wager my initial post is rooted in some similar sentiment as your dad's.  Not that it is the CORRECT one, but it is one a good portion of vets feel.

20 hours ago, South Austin said:

If it's a Marine whom I know and grew up with, I'm addressing them by their rank, though I doubt they'd insist on it.  One of my best friend's dad made it to General, and if I saw him today, I'm sure as hell not calling him Larry, or Mr. _________.

Funny thing is, I've referred to my dad as "Colonel" for about 25 or 30 years.  There's a lot baked into that, mostly love and respect.  And over those years it's rubbed off on my friends, who have also called him "Colonel," and we've often referred to him as "The Colonel."  My dad has never said this to me, but my mom told me he hates that.  Maybe he thinks there's some tongue-in-cheek resentment I have over growing up as a dependent (it ain't an easy life, but I mostly loved it), or maybe he thinks that once he took off the uniform he left the rank behind. 

Grew up calling Dad just that. Dad. My friends like to call him Colonel but he gets pissed if I do. I call him Hombre when we are shooting the shit. His friends I call by rank and it irks a few of them. Don't care, dudes are bad asses and deserve the recognition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Grew up calling Dad just that. Dad. My friends like to call him Colonel but he gets pissed if I do. I call him Hombre when we are shooting the shit. His friends I call by rank and it irks a few of them. Don't care, dudes are bad asses and deserve the recognition. 

Sounds like The Colonel and Hombre would be good drinking buddies.

• Hook 'Em 1