Apple Pie

tx 3 putt

Apple Pie  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Cheddar or no Cheddar ?

• yes
    • hell no !

6 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

For real?  I was one of the doubters in the original discussion, but when Tom Joad’s chef friend confirmed things, I’ve been thinking about it. My assumption was that the cheese replaced ice cream. 

I still have not seen any proof the text was from an actual chef and not a homeless guy

22 hours ago, Underdog said:

Can’t say I’ve had it with both cheese and ice cream but I’m intrigued...

image.jpeg.529636ae55ec8f792028becb0eb46ddf.jpeg

Small critique based on experience. Instead of cutting the cheese into strips, use a large cheese grater. With strips instead of a grated cheese, you risk dragging all of the cheese off in a cut and miss the goodness. Otherwise, the pic above is the money shot. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Small critique based on experience. Instead of cutting the cheese into strips, use a large cheese grater. With strips instead of a grated cheese, you risk dragging all of the cheese off in a cut and miss the goodness. Otherwise, the pic above is the money shot. 

FAEEA07D-7D31-4201-BE0A-ECD130B6E071.gif.af60dd89798be2c72fd24c18febc1edd.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, I'm attempting my first apple pie today.  Wife (no pics) saw me and is assisting.  Now, pie weights and precooking the crust is happening, presumably for some perfectly good reason.  Baking never has been my specialty, but I did okay with making the crust it seems. 

Oh, and I've got some sharp, white cheddar in the fridge.  I may try it on a bite just to see what all of this insanity is about. 

4f7dfaa7d56bf4d37601c8d51d50dbc4.jpg209fbd1cec02522560ab6587766c065b.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texan Cafe apple pie, Tillamook sharp cheddar, and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.

First bite was just apple pie - good Granny Smith apples, nicely seasoned, not too sweet. Second bite with cheddar was not noticeably better, but not worse. Third bite with ice cream was terrible.

From now on, I'll choose pecan, pumpkin, buttermilk, lemon chess, strawberry rhubarb, key lime, cherry, coconut cream, lemon meringue, or chocolate silk over apple (with our without cheddar). 0f32dd58c8b51aecf17809bbc10d4071.jpg

With the melted, good cheddar, I definitely got a brie and fruit vibe, and now I'm craving it again.  There's definitely something to it as long as we're not talking putting Kraft singles over a Marie Callendars frozen pie . . . sober.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, dcbc said:

With the melted, good cheddar, I definitely got a brie and fruit vibe, and now I'm craving it again.  There's definitely something to it as long as we're not talking putting Kraft singles over a Marie Callendars frozen pie . . . sober.

That’s how it is. Sneaks up on you, makes the pie less of just a sugar rush. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Shits getting real up in here. Well done my friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, dcbc said:

And the truth shall set you free…..

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I just talked to my fiancee about this revelation, and she said "yeah. It's like putting mustard on watermelon, or cinnamon rolls with "chili." 

Well, not sure about either one of those two things. But, yeah...it's definitely that whole sweet/savory thing that can be magical. Like dunking your fries is your milkshake or salted caramel whatever.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I just talked to my fiancee about this revelation, and she said "yeah. It's like putting mustard on watermelon, or cinnamon rolls with "chili." 

Rookie move 

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I think most people who voted no to the cheese have never actually tried apple pie with cheese.

Ask the 22 year old onboard to eat sushi, and he says raw fish ? no fucking way.

Ask the 24 yr old onboard after a tuna fishing trip, and his opinion has shifted a wee bit.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

My midwestern grade school always served cinnamon rolls when we had chili. Not sure why, but I didn’t complain. 
Of course they also served pepperoni pizza with milk to drink. Something like that now would devastate my innards. 

In full disclosure, it might have a bit of nostalgia factor for me. First time I tried it, I was a kid in a really cool old small town Texas diner (don't even remember where) surrounded by a bunch of old Texas ranchers, who to me, felt like a bunch of real cowboys which might has well have been super heroes (spurs on, sweat stained cowboy hats, etc). One of those "grandpa said I could get pie and ice cream" type moments that kids love. It showed up and I turned my nose up at it because of the cheese. I think the waitress or my mom or someone probably said something like, "that's how real cowboys eat apple pie" or something like that. So, I ate it. And I loved it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

In full disclosure, it might have a bit of nostalgia factor for me. First time I tried it, I was a kid in a really cool old small town Texas diner (don't even remember where) surrounded by a bunch of old Texas ranchers, who to me, felt like a bunch of real cowboys which might has well have been super heroes (spurs on, sweat stained cowboy hats, etc). One of those "grandpa said I could get pie and ice cream" type moments that kids love. It showed up and I turned my nose up at it because of the cheese. I think the waitress or my mom or someone probably said something like, "that's how real cowboys eat apple pie" or something like that. So, I ate it. And I loved it.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Haha yeah woulda been a lot cooler story if I'd finished my pie, set down my fork, asked the waitress for a dance, and took her back to my trailer house and fucked her brains out.

And thrown an underdone hamburger, which inadvertently hit a psychotic ex-con in the back of the head.

• Haha 1