Apple Pie

tx 3 putt

Apple Pie  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Cheddar or no Cheddar ?

• yes
    • hell no !

On 11/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, dcbc said:

Alright, I'm attempting my first apple pie today.  Wife (no pics) saw me and is assisting.  Now, pie weights and precooking the crust is happening, presumably for some perfectly good reason.  Baking never has been my specialty, but I did okay with making the crust it seems. 

Oh, and I've got some sharp, white cheddar in the fridge.  I may try it on a bite just to see what all of this insanity is about. 

4f7dfaa7d56bf4d37601c8d51d50dbc4.jpg209fbd1cec02522560ab6587766c065b.jpg

pie weights?   my grandma is spinning in her grave right now 

On 11/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, Bill Brasky said:

pie weights?   my grandma is spinning in her grave right now 

Neither of us ever had heard of them.  I think it was some sort of white elephant gift.  Pie crust didn't fly up into the air, nor did we open up a wormhole with them.  So tell grandma to settle down.

Also, side note.  This weekend, I heard from one of my in-laws who was at UT in the late 80s/early 90s that, at SRD, they used to serve apple pie with melted cheddar on it. 

Edited by dcbc

On 11/18/2021 at 6:17 PM, Landomatic said:

In full disclosure, it might have a bit of nostalgia factor for me. First time I tried it, I was a kid in a really cool old small town Texas diner (don't even remember where) surrounded by a bunch of old Texas ranchers, who to me, felt like a bunch of real cowboys which might has well have been super heroes (spurs on, sweat stained cowboy hats, etc). One of those "grandpa said I could get pie and ice cream" type moments that kids love. It showed up and I turned my nose up at it because of the cheese. I think the waitress or my mom or someone probably said something like, "that's how real cowboys eat apple pie" or something like that. So, I ate it. And I loved it.

I read about this phenom and apparently most people online think its a New England thing. That said, I learned it from my grandmother, who was raised in Dallas County and lived all her married life in Abilene and Odessa. And from my dad's side, which is all Wise County and west. They also told me it was how Texans eat pie. So your mileage may vary. There's not a Yankee in the family tree. 

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I read about this phenom and apparently most people online think its a New England thing. That said, I learned it from my grandmother, who was raised in Dallas County and lived all her married life in Abilene and Odessa. And from my dad's side, which is all Wise County and west. They also told me it was how Texans eat pie. So your mileage may vary. There's not a Yankee in the family tree. 

I'd bet it's a German thing.

• 8 months later...

I like sharp cheddar cheese on an apple pie. I prefer apples that maintain slight crispness vs being cooked to mush. Heavy cinnamon. I also like a couple of chopped fresh jalapeños in the filling sometimes. I prefer a crumbled topping vs a top crust.

Bout the only pies I don’t like are pumpkin, sweet potato, osgood( pecan with a lot of raisins). I could eat pecan, cherry, peach, caramel, lemon, chocolate, and banana cream pies all day.

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Looked through this thread and didn't see a single recipe for apple pie. They're all fairly standard, but anyone have one that takes it to the next level?

Less is more.  Use only about 1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon and nutmeg.  Do a lattice top crust.  Unless you are good with homemade pastry, use Pillsbury Already Pie Crusts.  Dot the top with 4 Tbl of butter.  Bake for 30 min at 425 and 15 at 350.  For the apples, Granny Smith is my favorite.  5-6 thinly sliced depending on the size. 1/8 tsp of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Dash  of salt and 2 tsp of lemon juice and 4 Tbl of flour and 1/4 cup of water.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HouTex said:

Less is more.  Use only about 1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon and nutmeg.  Do a lattice top crust.  Unless you are good with homemade pastry, use Pillsbury Already Pie Crusts.  Dot the top with 4 Tbl of butter.  Bake for 30 min at 425 and 15 at 350.  For the apples, Granny Smith is my favorite.  5-6 thinly sliced depending on the size. 1/8 tsp of cinnamon and nutmeg.  Dash  of salt and 2 tsp of lemon juice and 4 Tbl of flour and 1/4 cup of water.  

You forgot the cheese...make sure you get a melt as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, Mo Horn said:

Looked through this thread and didn't see a single recipe for apple pie. They're all fairly standard, but anyone have one that takes it to the next level?

The one I made one page back was my first stab at it, and it turned out great.  I just grabbed something off the internet.  I made my own crust, which was much easier than I thought it would be.  Try the cheese thing.  I'm a convert at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1