IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This fanbase has neither the desire or the patience for a rebuild. 

If there were noticeable improvement and talent in the pipeline, the outlook would be different. Unfortunately, sucking ass does not necessarily correlate to "rebuilding." Sometimes you just suck--with 80+ games of evidence.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

That’s fucking absurd. We’re year 11 into. 
Fuck us for being over it right? 

We're year 11 into being mediocre. The closest we had to rebuild was Charlie kicking multiple Mack players off the team. And it didn't work out so he was removed. Herman didn't rebuild anything. He just had a better offense than Charlie. Sark hasn't rebuilt anything. He just had a better offense than Herman. The fundamental flaws with this program are still there and yes the full on lose out, play Card and other young guys rebuild isn't happening because we won't stand for it. We can't now that we're committed to going to the SEC. 

Edited by mdmost

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

All the certainty that Sark is going to fail is kind of comical.

It's not uncommon for very successful coaches to have a bad year, or two, getting going.

I don't know if Sark will fail completely or not.  There's a lot of problems here that any coach would struggle with.

Because Strong failed, and then Herman, everyone thinks they can Kreskin the failure of Sarkisian.  Complete hindsight bias.

I would agree if I saw progress as the season goes but I see regression. 

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not uncommon for very successful coaches to have a bad year, or two, getting going.

I don't know if Sark will fail completely or not.  There's a lot of problems here that any coach would struggle with.

Because Strong failed, and then Herman, everyone thinks they can Kreskin the failure of Sarkisian.  Complete hindsight bias.

• Hook 'Em 1

The amusing thing in all this talk of people being blown away by Aranda is Baylor went from 11-3 and almost winning the Big 12 with Rhule to looking completely rudderless last year with Aranda and only winning 2 games. Now look at them. So I don't know, maybe we should give Sark some time. Yeah he sucks more than Herman right now and will probably best Charlie's worst record. But he's not going anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, BB65 said:

this.  the D has been an unmitigated disaster and getting worse.  that is coaching.  we are giving up over 200 yards rushing a game.  he needs a D staff change asap so he can potentially win 7 games next year.

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Bama went through 4 in 16 years before finding Saban.

They fired a dude before he ever coached a game for them.

Gene Stallings quit in 96 and won a national championship, not sure what you mean by the guy if not that. Mike Price was fired for non-football reasons and Fran left for another job So basically Dubose and Shula and both were given 3 years

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sark has never been “successful”, never mind “very successful”.

He isn’t called “Seven Win Steve” for nothing. He was sub .600 before Texas hired him (over 80 games sample). He’s plummeting toward sub .500.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Gene Stallings quit in 96 and won a national championship, not sure what you mean by the guy if not that. Mike Price was fired for non-football reasons and Fran left for another job So basically Dubose and Shula and both were given 3 years

Now do all the other schools

Sark may do the honorable thing and resign at the end of the season.  And go back to being an OC in the NFL or a P5 program.  

The big question mark is if we're going to the SEC in 2022 or 2023.  It would be preferable not to have a new coach in the first year in the new league.  But Sark may fall on the sword.  He's an incompetent head coach but he has some sense of honor.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Sark may do the honorable thing and resign at the end of the season.  And go back to being an OC in the NFL or a P5 program.  

The big question mark is if we're going to the SEC in 2022 or 2023.  It would be preferable not to have a new coach in the first year in the new league.  But Sark may fall on the sword.  He's an incompetent head coach but he has some sense of honor.

No, he won't. That's just silly wishcasting. He's not going to resign because every college football coach thinks they can fix things. If anything, PK is out since the biggest glaring hole right now is the defense. Coordinators can be demoted/share duties with another person pretty easily. Head coaches don't resign unless there's a scandal. 

The other part is dependent on OU. I doubt there's a huge groundswell to pay a ton of money to the Big 12 to be released right now. Especially not if an eventual Sark buyout is going to be needed in 2023. 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I don’t see that happening.  I see him firing PK, and we are right back here next year with the same threads. 

This thread is foolish imo, you're priming the audience to believe that Sark will be fired eventually (which I do believe). But what I've seen on the field so far leads me to believe he SHOULD BE FIRED. I mean, honestly a loss to KU football is truly a fire-able offence. But, the boosters, AD, and administration are very conservative at the moment and will not fire him.

We're basically left with the question(s) of, "How do we salvage the Sark years and how can we transition into the SEC in a graceful manner?". 

It's not going to be easy, but fuck man, how can we support this fucking guy and boost the team? Are boosters going to have to sell out for NIL contracts? Yes motherfuckers, you dug this grave and you can grab a shovel and fill it in. At this point I cannot possibly see the administration considering a Sark firing in the first year. Money talks, pay every fucking recruit that has even an iota of interest here and ride it the fuck out.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Three seasons. He was there 1996-1998. 

True. 
Miami cycled through 5 coaches in 8 years before Schellenberger and JJ.

The point being, pretending that we have to stick with this guy for whatever reason just isn’t true. Teams constantly move through coaches looking for the next guy. The very best programs have 3-4 guys ever in the history of their school that were the guy. This isn’t unique to us. Sark seems to pretty clearly not be the guy. I simply don’t think we need to waste time pretending that years 2-4 are going to be different.

And different doesn’t mean we need to be great. It doesn’t even mean we need to win 9 games. What cannot happen though is for a new coach, in year 1, to completely lose the locker room and show massive regression throughout the year. On top of all that he is failing on the recruiting ground. So what is the reason for continuing to employ him?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The amusing thing in all this talk of people being blown away by Aranda is Baylor went from 11-3 and almost winning the Big 12 with Rhule to looking completely rudderless last year with Aranda and only winning 2 games. Now look at them. So I don't know, maybe we should give Sark some time. Yeah he sucks more than Herman right now and will probably best Charlie's worst record. But he's not going anywhere. 

I expected this season to be a dumpster fire after Sam left and Herman rubbed recruits the wrong way by being a major league asshole. This is the “burn it down” phase of the program.

If Sark can’t bring in his own guys and show some kind of improvement next year, then we are really fucked.

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I expected this season to be a dumpster fire after Sam left and Herman rubbed recruits the wrong way by being a major league asshole. This is the “burn it down” phase of the program.

If Sark can’t bring in his own guys and show some kind of improvement next year, then we are really fucked.

you must have missed that bowl game vs Colorado, we should have been contenders man

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That would be throwing money away. A lot of it. He's not resigning.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The program is in dire need of a rebuild. 

Isn’t that why we hired Steve?

1 hour ago, USC_TMB said:

When Pete was HC, the OC was Norm Chow, who could scheme the crap out of an offense in his prime, after Chow left, Freshwater was the OC.  Sark became OC when Freshwater went to the Raiduhs, 2007 or so

I always felt freshwater was a slightly brighter star than sark

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

True.   I think sark needs another year but I can’t say that this team has give up since the second half of ou 

1 hour ago, jettrink said:

KSU is the end of the line win, lose or draw.  I can't believe we hired this clown to start with.  He should resign graciously and save everyone added embarrassment.  Hell, give him next years' salary for good measure.

We have no leverage at all.  

Why do people keep saying this. Aggy entered the sec with Sumlin in his first year and it was arguably their best season since Hitler. It'd be better if we don't enter the sec with this roster.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Schnellenberger resigned after pissing off everyone in Oklahoma
Fickell was an interim coach on a 1 year contract and staid on as DC

Make no mistake. Schnelly was 100 times worse drinker than Sark ever thought about being and was in active alcoholism when he was told he should leave. He was very effectively fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I doubt schnelly was banging 4 chicks at the same time in the back of the baccarat room 

Almost certainly true but he was constantly drunk both on and off the job something which I don’t think Sark did, not constantly at least. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Almost certainly true but he was constantly drunk both on and off the job something which I don’t think Sark did, not constantly at least. 

You know odd thing is I always thought fishwater was the drunken frat bro but o think Sark out partied him.  Btw addiction is nothing to joke about so I’m glad sark has gotten his life together and hard to root against him. Let’s just look towards 2022 and 2023

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You know odd thing is I always thought fishwater was the drunken frat bro but o think Sark out partied him.  Btw addiction is nothing to joke about so I’m glad sark has gotten his life together and hard to root against him. Let’s just look towards 2022 and 2023

I'm rooting for him because, well, I have to.

But I think losing to Kansas is a fireable offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm rooting for him because, well, I have to.

But I think losing to Kansas is a fireable offense.

I do too.  I hate to say it.  I hate to have every game be an ultimatum.  But Kansas, even ksu and tcu are games you should almost never lose.  Ou is ou.  But imagine you’re a corporation.  Every year Texas gets first dibs vs it’s competitors right?   There aren’t a ton of guys that choose baylor or tcu ( Johnston hey we will make you vp) over Texas.  Shouldn’t your company be better than theirs 90% of the time?

I tend to be in the camp that other than RJ, BR, XW and maybe a couple others, we really don't have much on this roster.  Actively playing Brock, Schooler, and Bush proves that.  Schooler is a huge effort guy but good enough for UT?  Come on.  No way those three guys see the field in an established program.  That said, I do think this staff should have done better with them and losing to Kansas is unforgivable.  

But, I agree that next year will determine if Sark sees year three or four of his contract.  But, if I am correct, I really don't see how he turns the roster enough to be materially better next year.  To me, the his ceiling next year realistically is to win against whoever we play non conference other than Alabama, Tech, Kansas, WV, Baylor, IS, and KS.  How much fun is that going to be?  If he does that, he sees a year three.  If not, all bets are off.

It hurts my heart for us to be this bad. I e been a longhorn fan since before I was born. My parents drove to walter reed army medical center for my birth in a burnt orange and white Ford maverick with a hook’em license plate.  With that said I’ve tried to be indifferent and I just can’t. It seems like we’re always a play away from getting over the hump and nobody makes that play. It’s infuriating 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the gloom and doom would be much  different if we were losing games and progressing….  Sark would be given the benefit of the doubt without much question.   What we’ve seen since OU is a lot of regression that went on overdrive in the second half of the Iowa State game.  If we shit the bed the next two weeks,  this prevailing idea a new coach has to be given a chance to work with his recruits, etc no doubt will have to be revisited.   I mean like Saturday post Thanksgiving and the check book opened to bring in his replacement the following week.   Time is of the essence here and making a statement before the month is out is the way to save a recruiting class and get this ship right before we jump into SEC play in 2023.  

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

And yet here we are. We've had 4 coaches in 9 years and we should never lose to Kansas because we're Texas and not losing is our birthright.

Well, Baylor hasn’t lost to them. West Virginia hasn’t lost to them. TCU, Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State,  and Oklahoma haven’t lost to them. Doesn’t seem like a big ask for their coaches. Losing to them twice seems almost impossible. Then again, We’re Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, Baylor hasn’t lost to them. West Virginia hasn’t lost to them. TCU, Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State,  and Oklahoma haven’t lost to them. Doesn’t seem like a big ask for their coaches. Losing to them twice seems almost impossible. Then again, We’re Texas. 

Tech (2019) and TCU (2018) have lost to KU recently but both were in Lawrence. Not only has Texas managed it twice recently, we needed a game winning FG by Dicker as time expired the last time they visited Austin to avoid KU having taken 3 of the last 5. its impressively awful. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think the gloom and doom would be much  different if we were losing games and progressing….  Sark would be given the benefit of the doubt without much question.   What we’ve seen since OU is a lot of regression that went on overdrive in the second half of the Iowa State game.  If we shit the bed the next two weeks,  this prevailing idea a new coach has to be given a chance to work with his recruits, etc no doubt will have to be revisited.   I mean like Saturday post Thanksgiving and the check book opened to bring in his replacement the following week.   Time is of the essence here and making a statement before the month is out is the way to save a recruiting class and get this ship right before we jump into SEC play in 2023.  

The issue is that Sark's recruits are no better and in some instances worse than what's already here. One month away from early signing day and we have only 2 OL committed, both Guards that are from the suburbs. No difference makers at DB or LB, and a massive project at QB. 

I  heard Sark's post game interview and he was very upset about the team's performance. For what I have heard from him, he has not told us "learn to live with it" or "you can't expect to beat RIce every time".  Yes, a certain UT coach did say that  and many of you let that same coach mess with your mind for six years. Coach Sark gets a least 3-4 years from me(barring serious off field incidents). I have never recruited against any UT football and I hope that most posters will follow suit.