IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

34 minutes ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark.

Whatever you were going to say after that statement is totally invalidated by what you said there.

Mack was a fairly good coach, who neglected roster management so completely that he turned the team to shit, let his assholiness start infecting everything, and at the end only wanted to stay so he could win a few more games and pass Saint Darrell.

Strong was proven to be incompetent as an HC after he left, to the same extent he flashed his ass at Texas.

Herman looked good in some ways, due almost entirely to having Sam Ehlinger at QB, but he was basically an asshole of huge magnitude. He may actually become a pretty good head coach, if he can ever put his personality in a box in the closet and never let it out again... but I doubt he can do that.

Sark? Has shown no ability to recover once his game plan has been neutralized. His career consists of losing every single game he's Head-coached when his team was behind at the half. I think we have found the explanation for his alcohol problems: his mediocre record pops out of the box, and he tries to drink it into submission

I still would like to see Sarkisian figure things out and start building winners, but I can't reconcile that hope with the live results we've seen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

..Coach Sark knows how to win, he certainly proved that at previous stops.

Oh for fuck’s sake. 

The dude was a SUB .600 over 80 games HC when we hired him. If he turns it around and wins here it won’t be because “he already knew how to win”, it’ll be because he learned how to do it.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Like 2

I also love the narrative of “you don’t need high star guys, you need hard workers”. It’s so painfully stupid. We need high star guys who are hard workers. This idea that you can win at this level without elite recruiting has been proven false over and over. You need to get the best players to sign with you. The best players generally are the high star guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

I think yall might be interested to hear from someone who isnt a  U. of Texas fan. 

I am an old SWC fan and the first time i ever watched the Longhorns was the Orange Bowl after the 1964 season, when Texas upset Alabama.  Texas has had many great teams over the years, but right now they are really struggling. There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark. ALL proven winners before they came to Texas.  The problem isnt with your coaches...Texas needs a change to their attitude and culture and how the program does things. Coach Royal once told me that many of his best players were recruits that werent highly sought after out of high school,  but after being worked with and developed, became great players. Yall need hard workers with a little blood on their knuckles who wont quit on you when the going gets tough. and dont worry about how many stars they have...Coach Sark knows how to win, he certainly proved that at previous stops. Give him a chance to turn things around...Yall's quick trigger on getting rid of coaches is a big reason you are in the situation youre in..  Programs and the kids who play, need stability. 

So i will be keeping an eye on what happens and how it goes. 

I appreciate the pat on the head. You could have thrown in some "Little Buddies" to make us feel better, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, Lobo said:

Sark may do the honorable thing and resign at the end of the season.  And go back to being an OC in the NFL or a P5 program.  

The big question mark is if we're going to the SEC in 2022 or 2023.  It would be preferable not to have a new coach in the first year in the new league.  But Sark may fall on the sword.  He's an incompetent head coach but he has some sense of honor.

No way in hell!  No one gives up that kind of cash.  I was joking when I said basically the same thing earlier.  He'll be recruiting in Alabama when we finally shit his can his ass.

5 hours ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

I think yall might be interested to hear from someone who isnt a  U. of Texas fan. 

I am an old SWC fan and the first time i ever watched the Longhorns was the Orange Bowl after the 1964 season, when Texas upset Alabama.  Texas has had many great teams over the years, but right now they are really struggling. There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark. ALL proven winners before they came to Texas.  The problem isnt with your coaches...Texas needs a change to their attitude and culture and how the program does things. Coach Royal once told me that many of his best players were recruits that werent highly sought after out of high school,  but after being worked with and developed, became great players. Yall need hard workers with a little blood on their knuckles who wont quit on you when the going gets tough. and dont worry about how many stars they have...Coach Sark knows how to win, he certainly proved that at previous stops. Give him a chance to turn things around...Yall's quick trigger on getting rid of coaches is a big reason you are in the situation youre in..  Programs and the kids who play, need stability. 

Holy shit!  I've seen the light!

To reply to posters who claim Sark isnt a winner..  His only other HC job, he took over a Washington team that was 0-12 and dead last the year before he got there. His first team won 5 games, then posted 3 winning seasons and ended with a 9 win season in year 5.  Thats turning a loser into a winner....He's proven he knows how to win.  Turning Texas into a winner?  Well... CLEARLY harder than it should be...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, Monte from Aldine isd said:

image.gif.91a1028b5358c1571b49aad5785b8ac1.gif

• Like 2

That's very strange.....very strange indeed.

I wonder if the BMDs are turning up the heat already. Or they think Sark is fragile and needs to reassure him before the fanbase and media eats him alive??

I think coming to practice puts more pressure on Sark. Weird all around.
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I wonder if the BMDs are turning up the heat already. Or they think Sark is fragile and needs to reassure him before the fanbase and media eats him alive??

I think coming to practice puts more pressure on Sark. Weird all around.

Yea I don’t like the move from any angle

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yet, people wonder why Texas continues to suck in football. All these outside influences involved that need to stay out of the way. 

Really overblown. TexAgs (yes, the message board) got R.C. Slocum, Dennis Franchione, Mike Sherman, and Kevin Sumlin fired. 

41 minutes ago, GhostOfTomChairman said:

I just remembered Bama comes to Austin next year so maybe he gets shitcanned in September...

I think it's likely we're moving to the SEC in 2022 so that OOC game will likely get canceled.  We still could be playing Alabama, of course, as a conference game.  I just don't think it's guaranteed.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, Monte from Aldine isd said:

To reply to posters who claim Sark isnt a winner..  His only other HC job, he took over a Washington team that was 0-12 and dead last the year before he got there. His first team won 5 games, then posted 3 winning seasons and ended with a 9 win season in year 5.  Thats turning a loser into a winner....He's proven he knows how to win.  Turning Texas into a winner?  Well... CLEARLY harder than it should be...

His best year at UW he went 8-4.

5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, 8-4

Best year ever he went 9-4 at USC.

9-4, 3-2 (fired for being drunk on the job)

His best seasons are the types of seasons which got Tom Herman fired.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Rage+1 1

Stream of consciousness....

Many of the cited stories about Sarkisian came up right after he was hired.  At the time, they were dismissed as the bad decision making of a drunk.  It was followed by, "He's sober now, so not a problem."  These stories are convenient to bring up now because we are rightfully frustrated at the results.  They are not going to retroactively un-hire him because of these stories.

Eltife - stay away - whatever the reason for attending practice, it's a bad look.  You have his phone number; call him.  Geniuses like Anwar and Brian Davis will find someone for a sound-bite.  Regardless of purpose - pressure, support, wanted to watch, whatever - the local press guys will spin it or screw it up.

Another problem we have is that we know (or think we know) how the sausage is being made.  And when we bite into a rodent part, we get pissed.  My recollection

• Mack Brown - Dodds wanted Barnett.  Hicks and Royal wanted Brown.  Brown disappoints: why in the hell was Hicks involved?
  • Strong - Powers, Patterson used Korn Ferry as cover.  Strong poops the bed: Patterson is a moron; Korn Ferry?  Where were the BMDs in this?
  • Herman - BMDs pressured to hire Herman.  Herman is a buffoon/drunk/etc.: where was the AD and administration in this?
  • Sark - BOR chair "led".  Sark disappoints: "Should we have kept Herman?" (NO!) Where was CDC?  What about the BMDs?

Sometimes I wonder if it was better that I did not know how the sausage was being made.  Just take an occasional bite and pray I do not eat rat entrails.  However, I find it entertaining and interacting w/ folks about it is fun.

Last weekend, I am pretty sure I bit into some rat.  But, I survived.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Many of the cited stories about Sarkisian came up right after he was hired.  At the time, they were dismissed as the bad decision making of a drunk.  It was followed by, "He's sober now, so not a problem."  These stories are convenient to bring up now because we are rightfully frustrated at the results.  They are not going to retroactively un-hire him because of these stories.

Eltife - stay away - whatever the reason for attending practice, it's a bad look.  You have his phone number; call him.  Geniuses like Anwar and Brian Davis will find someone for a sound-bite.  Regardless of purpose - pressure, support, wanted to watch, whatever - the local press guys will spin it or screw it up.

Another problem we have is that we know (or think we know) how the sausage is being made.  And when we bite into a rodent part, we get pissed.  My recollection

• Mack Brown - Dodds wanted Barnett.  Hicks and Royal wanted Brown.  Brown disappoints: why in the hell was Hicks involved?
  • Strong - Powers, Patterson used Korn Ferry as cover.  Strong poops the bed: Patterson is a moron; Korn Ferry?  Where were the BMDs in this?
  • Herman - BMDs pressured to hire Herman.  Herman is a buffoon/drunk/etc.: where was the AD and administration in this?
  • Sark - BOR chair "led".  Sark disappoints: "Should we have kept Herman?" (NO!) Where was CDC?  What about the BMDs?

Sometimes I wonder if it was better that I did not know how the sausage was being made.  Just take an occasional bite and pray I do not eat rat entrails.  However, I find it entertaining and interacting w/ folks about it is fun.

lindsey graham world GIF

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, Monte from Aldine isd said:

I think the pay structure for coaches is fucked up... When Royal was here, he wasn't getting rich... They make too much money to sit around and take mediocrity after year 3.

I say we link coach pay to metrics that we want them to deliver. I'm fine paying $10 million per year if they've won 10 games. But not if they shit the bed with 6 losses...

46 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Everyone wanted Barnett and they were about to extend an offer until Brown flew in and blew  everyone's socks off (yes socks.... he's not bob stoops)... It was a no brainer at that point, no one wanted Barnett after Mack interviewed.

12 hours ago, jinx said:

There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark. ALL proven winners before they came to Texas.  The problem isnt with your coaches...Texas needs a change to their attitude and culture and how the program does things

12 hours ago, jinx said:

quick trigger on getting rid of coaches is a big reason you are in the situation youre in..  Programs and the kids who play, need stability. 

I've come to view coaching firings like a turnover on the field. I've heard it said that a turnover wipes out 100 yards of offense. We keep fumbling (having ZERO patience and knee jerking to the pain of a bad season) and we will be right here for the foreseeable future. This guy knows how to coach, and hired a better staff than we've had since Mack was here. There is no one you could bring in that would fix it any faster.

No matter where this quote originated, it appears to be appropriate for our situation.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing…after they have exhausted all other possibilities."

Edited by 927 E. 41st
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's very strange.....very strange indeed.

While Eltife is the only named name, I am reasonably certain that he had the backing of a group of BMD/cigars.

Kind of like Hicks is credited for Mack.  He didn't act alone as far as BMD/cigars.

58 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I think the pay structure for coaches is fucked up... When Royal was here, he wasn't getting rich... They make too much money to sit around and take mediocrity after year 3.

I say we link coach pay to metrics that we want them to deliver. I'm fine paying $10 million per year if they've won 10 games. But not if they shit the bed with 6 losses...

You better up that pay figure to $20 million per year if you want a coach to consider this job on a risk based contract. The reward has to offset the risk, and right now you see schools like Michigan State offering Mel F'n Tucker (career .552 winning percentage) 10 years/$95 million with no pay at risk. And then you have the issue of guaranteed buyout if Texas fires a coach without cause. We have proven that we will fire a coach 3-4 years into a contract, so there better be a financial reward in that scenario commensurate with what other schools are offering.

When the supply of attractive coaches doesnt come close to meeting the demand from schools desperate for college football success, good luck trying to be the one school trying to drive a "school friendly" bargin. I suppose its possible if you make the upside high enough, but lulz at $10M being that figure. We're probably going to finish the year at 4-8. Now we won't fire Sark this year for a lot of reasons, but lets say he struggles like Charlie did, not getting his head above .500. He can last maybe 1-2 more years. And then you think we can get a good candidate in here by saying win 10 games next season or we pay you shit. And if you do win 10 games, we will pay you the going rate?

Sark isn't going to survive past 4 years IMO but what this year has proven is that if you are going to lose(or almost lose) to Kansas, do it in your first year, not your 3rd.

Sark playin' chess.

The powers that be will ride this out.  Here's how I see this going.

2022 - Sark will likely be able to score enough to keep his head above water next year 7 wins.  

2023 SEC shows up and he'll get the requisite "Its our first year our lines aren't SEC ready" get out of jail free card. probably 6 wins(maybe 7 if the extra cupcake is still there)  fires his DC(I don't think he would ever fire Flood)

2024 more the same - fired

2 Caveats - he loses to Traylor all bets are off and if he has losing record in 2023 and the right coach is available.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

2 Caveats - he loses to Traylor all bets are off and if he has losing record in 2023 and the right coach is available.

Uh oh. Now we can to contend with the San Antonio boosters having a pet candidate!

Edited by mdmost
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Really overblown. TexAgs (yes, the message board) got R.C. Slocum, Dennis Franchione, Mike Sherman, and Kevin Sumlin fired. 

Not sure what you’re arguing. 

Name the schools that have a Chairmen of The Board of Regents making major football hires and 10 games in showing up to practice to defend the hire? 

This isn’t overblown. It’s a mess. Eltife shouldn’t be involved with any of this. 

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure what you’re arguing. 

Name the schools that have a Chairmen of The Board of Regents making major football hires and 10 games in showing up to practice to defend the hire? 

This isn’t overblown. It’s a mess. Eltife shouldn’t be involved with any of this. 

I am saying that every successful football program has lots of outside influences who meddle or attempt to meddle in their programs. I would submit that our issues are pretty unique for a program that sucks ass the way ours does, but they aren't particularly unique otherwise.

It's beyond apparent that we absolutely will tolerate mediocrity. We may bitch more about it than other schools, but we are eager to pay through the nose for shitty results.

Edited by Tex Pete

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I am saying that every successful football program has lots of outside influences who meddle or attempt to meddle in their programs. I would submit that our issues are pretty unique for a program that sucks ass the way ours does, but they aren't particularly unique otherwise.

It's beyond apparent that we absolutely will tolerate mediocrity. We may bitch more about it than other schools, but we are eager to pay through the nose for shitty results.

Yeah and you're wrong. Other programs have outside influences but nobody has BMDs and BoR in positions of power like Texas. 

Texas has an athletic director that's making excellent hires but Texas somehow decided to delegate the hiring power to Eltife. Somebody that's never hired a college coach.  That isn't meddling. It's just stupidity. 

Do you think LSU is telling Woodward to get out of the way and let our BMDs handle this? Fuck no. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah and you're wrong. Other programs have outside influences but nobody has BMDs and BoR in positions of power like Texas. 

Texas has an athletic director that's making excellent hires but Texas somehow decided to delegate the hiring power to Eltife. Somebody that's never hired a college coach.  That isn't meddling. It's just stupidity. 

Do you think LSU is telling Woodward to get out of the way and let our BMDs handle this? Fuck no. 

I'm wrong that other programs have outside influences that meddle in their programs? You sure?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm wrong that other programs have outside influences that meddle in their programs? You sure?

No but you're side stepping my argument. Name the schools that have people in power like Eltife that can run the football program? 

All major programs have outside influences. Nobody has the type of outside influences like Texas. Again, name 1 school where somebody like Eltife is making football hires? 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No but you're side stepping my argument. Name the schools that have people in power like Eltife that can run the football program? 

You're arguing a point I never made. We have outside influences that cause problems sometimes. Other programs do as well. I do not specifically know other schools' regents' roles in their hiring processes, but I know they have been involved at A&M (not necessarily that they made the hire). For instance, Bill Byrne did not want to fire Mike Sherman. As I recall, he also didn't want to move to the SEC. Those moves were made for him. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

All major programs have outside influences. Nobody has the type of outside influences like Texas. Again, name 1 school where somebody like Eltife is making football hires? 

as an aside, remember when our ath dept was is such disarray that we had to fly the president up to Oklahoma at the last minute just so we could hire the OC from renowned powerhouse University of Tulsa after he turned down Strong initially? Thats was fun.