IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You're arguing a point I never made. We have outside influences that cause problems sometimes. Other programs do as well. I do not specifically know other schools' regents' roles in their hiring processes, but I know they have been involved at A&M (not necessarily that they made the hire). For instance, Bill Byrne did not want to fire Mike Sherman. As I recall, he also didn't want to move to the SEC. Those moves were made for him. 

You are underselling how unique this problem is to Texas. Sure, there are outside influences at other schools but my initial point had to do with Eltife. 

Athletic programs hire athletic directors to make football hires. Arguing this is common practice is part of the problem. No, it's not. Again, name a school that has somebody like Eltife making football hires? You can't name one. Maybe you can find 1 or 2 examples who are probably dumpster fires just like Texas in football. 

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure what you’re arguing. 

Name the schools that have a Chairmen of The Board of Regents making major football hires and 10 games in showing up to practice to defend the hire? 

This isn’t overblown. It’s a mess. Eltife shouldn’t be involved with any of this. 

I didn’t catch any of it but apparently Brian Jones was on the ticket this morning and went off on our administration and said the whole program is toxic. He also said that Saban told Sark not to take the job because the culture is so fucked up. Anybody catch it?

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You are underselling how unique this problem is to Texas. Sure, there are outside influences at other schools but my initial point had to do with Eltife. 

Athletic programs hire athletic directors to make football hires. Arguing this is common practice is part of the problem. No, it's not. Again, name a school that has somebody like Eltife making football hires? You can't name one. Maybe you can find 1 or 2 examples who are probably dumpster fires just like Texas in football. 

Didn’t Boone Pickens and Bobby louder had a lot of influence at their respective schools?

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

. No one wants to point the finger at themselves and accept the fact that maybe we made some really shit hires the last 7 years and are now trying to dig ourselves out of a hole. Not everything in this program has to do with a damn booster and it’s embarrassing that people actually believe that.

Who made those hires? The BMDs initiated the Herman hire behind closed doors without doing a coaching search. Then Eltife hired Sarkisian. 

You can't use the argument "we made some really shit hires the last 7 years" and then 2 seconds later say it's not the boosters fault. Are you serious? 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I didn’t see one booster on the field or sideline when we lost to Kansas. That excuse is so damn tiring. And no booster is telling the coaches who to play. People love to point the finger at the boosters whose names they don’t know and faces they’ve never seen. Now our players believe the lie too, that a person with a lot of money is the reason they can’t beat Kansas. No one wants to point the finger at themselves and accept the fact that maybe we made some really shit hires the last 7 years and are now trying to dig ourselves out of a hole. Not everything in this program has to do with a damn booster and it’s embarrassing that people actually believe that.

Brian Jones is just another salty alum saying shock value statements. All he did back in January was talk about how aligned Texas was with this hire and it was the perfect fit. “Sark is the perfect football coach who has the personality to fit Texas and just worry about coaching football” is something I remember him saying just 9 months ago.

Oh, and Brian Davis and the stupid Statesman bros failed to mention Eltife goes to practice fairly regularly was in town for a BOR meeting. He didn’t just fly in to pat Sark on the back like they made it out to be.

This was around even when we were winning, as much as you refuse to believe it’s reality of our program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Do you believe that boosters are telling the coaches who to play?

Yes, former players have been on Surly podcasts saying it happens. 

Do you really think that the BMD/BoR can dictate who Texas hires in football and then they have no say in the other stuff? If they're making the biggest decisions they're definitely meddling. Unless common sense isn't your thing. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yes, former players have been on Surly podcasts saying it happens. 

Do you really think that the BMD/BoR can dictate who Texas hires in football and then they have no say in the other stuff? If they're making the biggest decisions they're definitely meddling. Unless common sense isn't your thing. 

So Texas is the only program where the guys who give money get involved with decisions? Everywhere else people give their money and then say see you later we don’t care what happens? Apologies that I have a really tough time believing that. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So Texas is the only program where the guys who give money are allowed to make decisions? Everywhere else people give their money and then say see you later we don’t care what happens? Apologies that I have a really tough time believing that. 

Yes, name a school where their BoR and BMDs are making football hires? 

You just bitched about our shitty hires the last 7 years when that's a direct criticism of our current structure. Thanks for pointing out what I've been arguing in this thread for the last few days. Texas make good hires in the non-football sports because they don't have BMDs and the BoR making those hires. 

Several other posters have made this point. JS1, Twice Horn, Texasstrong, and Pancho. How much evidence do you need when it's the football hires that keep on being terrible? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yes, name a school where their BoR and BMDs are making football hires? 

You just bitched about our shitty hires the last 7 years when that's a direct criticism of our current structure. Thanks for pointing out what I've been arguing in this thread for the last few days. It's almost like we make good hires in the non-football sports because we don't have BMDs and the BoR making those hires. 

Several other posters have made this point. JS1, Twice Horn, Texasstrong, and Pancho. How much evidence do you need when it's the football hires that keep on being terrible? 

Even the Mack hiring was a clusterfuck. Facts are we’ve been terrible at hiring and the process has been shit since Akers was let go. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Even the Mack hiring was a clusterfuck. Facts are we’ve been terrible at hiring and the process has been shit since Akers was let go. 

The terrible part is Texas is actually good at making hires. It's just football that sucks at this process. Texas  has two very good coaches now in baseball and men's basketball plus the women's sports. 

Somehow people haven't figured that football is unique to those other sports because people that have no business making hires are the ones making those decisions. Maybe some of these fans will eventually start thinking logically and recognize the obvious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

It actually wouldn't have surprised me if, during Jones' tenure under McWilliams, certain alumni with T rings might not have had David's attention on players.

Yet mid 2000s players i knew told me the same a 2010s player says the same thing. 

That’s quite the long running conspiracy to just be coincidental, IMO  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yet mid 2000s players i knew told me the same a 2010s player says the same thing. 

Even if you don't believe the BMDs are deciding who plays stuff you have to be a blind fool to not recognize the problem in the hiring process. 

It's right in front of you. Every non-football hire has been excellent recently and every football hire by the BMDs and BoR has been awful. Yet, we will have fans on this board saying these people aren't a problem. 

It's funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So I guess the next question is how does that go away? CDC uses himself as a shield between the BMD and Sark? Or a football only AD to deal with the extra crap that other sports don’t have?

Easiest way is to have unified leadership from Eltiffe, Hartzell, and CDC which were kind of seeing. Next thing would be separate football from the rest of the athletic department.  Shield the program, let coaches coach and  players play. 

If the wealthy people get pissy because they lose access and information they shouldn’t have regarding specifics of the program then fuck them. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well, in small defense of David, those alumni from whom he may have taken advice would have been long-time friends whose football bona fides were well-known to him.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Easiest way is to have unified leadership from Eltiffe, Hartzell, and CDC which were kind of seeing. Next thing would be separate football from the rest of the athletic department.  Shield the program, let coaches coach and  players play. 

If the wealthy people get pissy because they lose access and information they shouldn’t have regarding specifics of the program then fuck them. 

So it really comes down to are we willing to potentially lose a little bit of money at the expense of making the football program better run and healthier long term?

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So it really comes down to are we willing to potentially lose a little bit of money at the expense of making the football program better run and healthier long term?

A better football program and healthier football program will bring far more money. Short term losses with huge long term gains. Look at all the money Alabama is raising due to their football success. It’s bleeding over to other programs they have as well as academic side.  Currently football/athletics gives about 10-15 million a year to academic side….Hartzell would love if that was 20-30 million. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So I guess the next question is how does that go away? CDC uses himself as a shield between the BMD and Sark? Or a football only AD to deal with the extra crap that other sports don’t have?

We don’t need a football-only AD.  We need BMDs/BoR members to get the fuck out of the way. If they stop donating, who gives a fuck.  We still print money and aren’t hurting in that regard.  Also, when we start winning again, their lost money will magically find its way back to campus. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

A better football program and healthier football program will bring far more money. 

Well it sounds like getting the BMD in line and told to shut up would take the type of alignment we haven’t seen here…like ever. Sounds easier said than done. Even if the football program is shielded, the people with money are just still going to be pissed when you lose to Kansas at home and they are going to open their mouth.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Pancho said:

We don’t need a football-only AD.  We need BMDs/BoR members to get the fuck out of the way. If they stop donating, who gives a fuck.  We still print money and aren’t hurting in that regard.  Also, when we start winning again, their lost money will magically find its way back to campus. 

We know that’s not going to happen….so therefore I think it’s in the best interest to actually put boundaries there. We aren’t going to win again with this banana republic hiring process for football only. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well it sounds like getting the BMD in line and told to shut up would take the type of alignment we haven’t seen here…like ever. Sounds easier said than done. Even if the football program is shielded, the people with money are just still going to be pissed when you lose to Kansas at home and they are going to open their mouth.

You have to start somewhere and do what you can to start the process. Just keeping it the same is not going to do a damn thing

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I didn’t see one booster on the field or sideline when we lost to Kansas. That excuse is so damn tiring. And no booster is telling the coaches who to play. People love to point the finger at the boosters whose names they don’t know and faces they’ve never seen. Now our players believe the lie too, that a person with a lot of money is the reason they can’t beat Kansas. No one wants to point the finger at themselves and accept the fact that maybe we made some really shit hires the last 7 years and are now trying to dig ourselves out of a hole. Not everything in this program has to do with a damn booster and it’s embarrassing that people actually believe that.

Brian Jones is just another salty alum saying shock value statements. All he did back in January was talk about how aligned Texas was with this hire and it was the perfect fit. “Sark is the perfect football coach who has the personality to fit Texas and just worry about coaching football” is something I remember him saying just 9 months ago.

Oh, and Brian Davis and the stupid Statesman bros failed to mention Eltife goes to practice fairly regularly was in town for a BOR meeting. He didn’t just fly in to pat Sark on the back like they made it out to be.

Fuck you Kevin 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I'm a lurker but it's funny because all the regular posters on the Other UT Sports board have been saying this for years over there. You, JS1, Twice Horn and Texasstrong. 

I always thought you guys were kind of assholes to the football board but I now get it. 

The BMDs have to decide if the way things have been run to cater to them since Colt went out against Bama is worth the 11 years of mediocrity and further mediocrity if things keep going the status quo? 

I saw CDC and Eltife coming out to say that no you morons, we're not making a head coaching change less than one year into the new guy's tenure. We're going to give him time to root out the rotten portions and bring in his guys to get things righted. 

Edited by mdmost

Now exactly who is telling the players that BMDs want certain players to play? Coaches running around telling dudes that knowing it’ll piss em off?

I don’t know shit about any of it, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the stories running around were in fact not true. Or maybe some were and some weren’t.

What I feel certain about is that some dudes think they deserve more playing time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I would not be surprised if this whole thing about boosters meddling originated with Mack talking to media off the record trying to shift the blame for the total collapse of his program.

He’s definitely the one that scared Saban off. And I’m sure he talked to Urban. And Mack was the one who was buddy-buddy with powerful boosters and used them to hold the mob at bay while he continued to steal from us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

For all of his faults, DeLoss seemed to do a pretty good job of placating the BMD's or at least keeping them enough at bay in the good Mack years.

I'd argue Deloss is the reason all of this came about and is the root cause of a lot of our issues with his attitude toward wealth and money for the program.

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd argue Deloss is the reason all of this came about and is the root cause of a lot of our issues with his attitude toward wealth and money for the program.

Well, if it’s the big money guys who are the problem (they’re an issue, but to what extent?), it’s going to take someone getting them to all pull together in one direction like they did in the early Mack years. That means either Sarkisian or del Conte is going to have to nut up and make it happen, or they’re going to have to pull somebody in to make it happen.

Ultimately, it’s a leadership issue. I’m fucking tired of people getting paid millions of dollars and not being leaders. BMDs are not the ones whiffing on the field or air-mailing passes out of bounds. BMDs aren’t the ones showing up completely unprepared to play Arkansas and Kansas. BMDs aren’t the ones sullying the good name of the University of Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, if it’s the big money guys who are the problem (they’re an issue, but to what extent?), it’s going to take someone getting them to all pull together in one direction like they did in the early Mack years. That means either Sarkisian or del Conte is going to have to nut up and make it happen, or they’re going to have to pull somebody in to make it happen.

Ultimately, it’s a leadership issue. I’m fucking tired of people getting paid millions of dollars and not being leaders. BMDs are not the ones whiffing on the field or air-mailing passes out of bounds. BMDs aren’t the ones showing up completely unprepared to play Arkansas and Kansas. BMDs aren’t the ones sullying the good name of the University of Texas. 

While there may be practical limitations on restricting BMDs and regents from overly-involving themselves with various aspects of UT athletics, the problem is those BMD and Regents who forcefully "lead" the athletics program in the wrong direction are too often never held accountable for their mistakes. We know their mistakes are never openly discussed. In fact, efforts are made to protect them from criticism and accountability and to maintain their ability to continue to over-involve them in places they have shown little, if any, skill or acumen.

As long as the ego-driven personal interests of certain BMDs and Regents are placed above the interests of the student-athletes, UT athletics will continue perform below potential.

The politically ambitions governor continues to nominate regents who place their personal interests above those of the students and student-athletes. The university administrators place their own personal financial interests and career ambitions above the interests of the students and the student-athletes. The students and student-athletes understand "excellence" and "accountability" are empty words on the 40 Acres. It's one big leadership void.

UT football four.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Meh, Deloss is long gone and the issues here still remain.  The issue is that we are crap at hiring ADs and reactive with hiring coaches.   

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I think we have what we need in place, a chair to the BoR, the president of the university who actually values football, and CDC who does a good job managing expectations of the AD. Like I said last night, I think we need to isolate the football program from the donors, athletic department, and etc and let the football people make football decisions. Let the football players play football. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Meh, Deloss is long gone and the issues here still remain.  The issue is that we are crap at hiring ADs and reactive with hiring coaches.   

But the attitude he brought, the bloated athletic department, and etc still reside. You are looking at 30 years of attitude engrained into the AD, donors, fans etc.

UT doesn't need to isolate football within the athletics department.  Moreover, you wouldn't be able to get away with that legally (I don't believe).  Does Alabama or Ohio State have a "separate athletic department" for football?  I don't believe they do.  They are all aligned, though.  

UT doesn't need to isolate football within the athletics department.  Moreover, you wouldn't be able to get away with that legally (I don't believe).  Does Alabama or Ohio State have a "separate athletic department" for football?  I don't believe they do.  They are all aligned, though.  

This might be what you mean be aligned, but those schools have football as the center of the universe. So it might not be a separate department, but football is the department. We don’t have that here, for better or worse.

1 minute ago, Capn81 said:

This might be what you mean be aligned, but those schools have football as the center of the universe. So it might not be a separate department, but football is the department. We don’t have that here, for better or worse.

I disagree with this though.  

What is Texas not doing that is making people believe football isn't the center of the universe here?  From what I've read, it's just the NIL shit, which seems like a pretty easy fix.  

Not only that, Ohio State and Alabama are exceeding at their minor sports with football being the center showing you can have both.  Why don't Texas fans want both? 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, at least one guy on here has a grip on reality. Can I add that it's also pretty clear who never donated to anything. Just to clarify what I mean, let's say you are in a position to donate $50,000 a year to a University or any other organization. You've been doing it for years, everybody is happy. Then they announce one day they are considering something that you can't support, perhaps even something you find abhorrent.

You basically have three choices, you can. 1. Continue to donate (not gonna happen). 2. you can give them a call and say "hey I won't be going down this road with you, if you do this, I'm done." (so at least they know in advance that your contribution will dry up.) 3. Say nothing, let them implement the change and then stop writing the checks with no warning. (This will probably get you a lot of phone calls from them, but in all likelihood the damage is done). 

Do you really think that successful people are in the habit taking option 1 or 3?

• Hook 'Em 2