IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

On 11/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, dcar00 said:

this. if Dodds wanted  the LHF to be a firewall he wouldn't have built tons of suites that he needed BMD's to buy.

It was a long time between Dodds' initial hire and creation of the LHF before they started doing things like building suites and selling PSLs.  Dodds was preceded by Royal, who had lots of trouble with BMD interfering with things, namely Frank Erwin, but I'm sure he's not the only one and he didn't act alone.

Of course it was created as a donation generator, but part of it was an attempt to distance donors from the actual AD and programs.

I don't think Dodds started out as a complete moneygrubber.  That became the nature of the job and he excelled at that part.  Had the financial aspect not come along, he probably would have been canned because his coaching hires were not good.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:50 AM, Randolph Duke said:

While there may be practical limitations on restricting BMDs and regents from overly-involving themselves with various aspects of UT athletics, the problem is those BMD and Regents who forcefully "lead" the athletics program in the wrong direction are too often never held accountable for their mistakes. We know their mistakes are never openly discussed. In fact, efforts are made to protect them from criticism and accountability and to maintain their ability to continue to over-involve them in places they have shown little, if any, skill or acumen.

As long as the ego-driven personal interests of certain BMDs and Regents are placed above the interests of the student-athletes, UT athletics will continue perform below potential.

The politically ambitions governor continues to nominate regents who place their personal interests above those of the students and student-athletes. The university administrators place their own personal financial interests and career ambitions above the interests of the students and the student-athletes. The students and student-athletes understand "excellence" and "accountability" are empty words on the 40 Acres. It's one big leadership void.

UT football four.jpeg

I think this is waaayyyy too simplistic. Let me argue your simplistic view with my own... :) 

If not for BMDs and Regents, UT Football would have very little support. It's been stated elsewhere, but by and large the faculty loathe the football program due to all the money it spends. The student body is becoming more disassociated with sports in general.. The Administration really doesn't care about the program's competitiveness because successful or not it generates a ton of revenue. All they really care about deep down is that the money rolls in and the program doesn't create legal or political problems for them. So yeah, I think billionaire alumni with egos that want their team to beat other billionaires' teams is fundamentally what's driving (and funding) our ability to compete. Without those egos and the money behind it, I'm not even sure where we'd be... probably a Berkeley... Which is what we'll be in 15 years anyway (I truly believe, as these old BMDs die off and new moneyed alumni just don't care as much).

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sark said in a presser a few weeks ago that his staff “didn’t suddenly forget how to coach”. I think that statement strongly indicated he’s not going to make changes to the staff this off-season. 

that was before the real chaos but yeah, he'll stand pat and win 6 or maybe 7 next year.  probably a good move.  don't play the "Fire the DC" get out of jail free card yet.  he is the OC so he only has one card to play. he can use the DC card next year or maybe he tries for the "lot of new players, we're young" excuse.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Eltife looks like the inept tool version of Tim Blake Nelson.  

We're just gonna hire another mistake after Sark in 2 years.  Every other blue blood program gets a good coach but us.  Wonder why that is?  

I don't disagree that we are not great at hiring coaches - our process is, shall we say, suboptimal.  

But to channel Herman, hiring good coaches is really, really hard.  We're not the only blue blood to struggle in this regard recently.  Michigan and USC had several bad hires in the last 10 years or so.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember when @GreenspointTexas laughed at the notion that Sark wouldn’t be fired immediately after KSU? 

“lol, losing to Kansas is a fireable offense. Ball game.”

I can tell he said that because it includes his digital signature.

Edited by B00M
Ball game.

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't know how long Sark is here, but seeing who our first ten year, $100 million coach is will be a hoot, especially when we want him fired after the first year.

We will be paying a lot more than that in a few years if we want to hire anybody that has actually been successful at being a HC.

• Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Move on. It's over.

Only for the ones who voted for this year!

On 11/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, TreatyOak said:

True, but I am hoping that there are a whole lot of players who will contribute to the Horns next year who aren't even enrolled here yet. 

I see a 9/10 win prediction in someone's future...
The problem is still the O and D line. Gifted skill players can make a big difference in year 1 on sheer athletic ability alone, but linemen and linebackers need more time to gain size and learn the necessary skills. Unfortunately those were our biggest weaknesses this year, and they won't be fixed in time for next year.

And before any "yeah buts", remember that several preseason rags cited our offensive line as a strength this year. It's laughable now, but they were serious. It's going to happen again. I'm from Missouri on next year being better...and I hate Missouri.

2 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

And before any "yeah buts", remember that several preseason rags cited our offensive line as a strength this year.

I mean - whatever. Any Texas fan with more than a dozen brain cells knew the OL was going to be a problem. I thought this team would win 9 games and I knew we were going to be rough at OL, WR and LB. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I mean - whatever. Any Texas fan with more than a dozen brain cells knew the OL was going to be a problem. I thought this team would win 9 games and I knew we were going to be rough at OL, WR and LB. 

Hindsight is 20/20. We returned 4 starters from a unit that did pretty well in 2020. Losing Cosmi - and Ehlinger - had a bigger impact than people anticipated.
Same thing happened to Mack. No one noticed the OL was terrible until Colt left. Maybe Ewers can be the difference we need, but like I said, I'm from Missouri. Sark hasn't shown anyone jack to this point.

18 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Huh? I'm telling you I was concerned going into the season about that unit as I'm sure many if not most here were. It has nothing to do with hindsight. But I don't read much of the $9.95er sunshine pumping that reportedly said they looked great in practice. 

I find enough ways to pump sunshine and miss on predictions on my own...

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
Hindsight is 20/20. We returned 4 starters from a unit that did pretty well in 2020. Losing Cosmi - and Ehlinger - had a bigger impact than people anticipated.
Same thing happened to Mack. No one noticed the OL was terrible until Colt left. Maybe Ewers can be the difference we need, but like I said, I'm from Missouri. Sark hasn't shown anyone jack to this point.

Late post, but this isn’t really accurate. As a community we ragged on that o-line quite a bit. I recall wondering if it could get worse, and as Texas football kept trying to teach me, it could and it did.
  • Hook 'Em 1