IYO how long does Sark last  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Numero anos

• He’s gone after KSU
    • End of 2022
    • End of 2023 (3 years like Charlie)
    • End of 2024
    • Finishes contract
    • As long as he wants. He’s turning this around!!

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The fact that you think anything a coach says in public as anything other than spin is hilarious. Coaches are saying nothing and telling you nothing. Ever.

Fair enough. But if you take this view and apply it honestly, then you can never rely on Stark’s statements about how he’s going to fix this. You can’t point to any sunshine pumping or motivational quotes in future PCs and say “See, this guy gets it!” You have to disregard everything he says. 

That seems silly to me, but it’s the logical consequence of your view on coach speak. 

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Fair enough. But if you take this view and apply it honestly, then you can never rely on Stark’s statements about how he’s going to fix this. You can’t point to any sunshine pumping or motivational quotes in future PCs and say “See, this guy gets it!” You have to disregard everything he says. 

That seems silly to me, but it’s the logical consequence of your view on coach speak. 

Who cares? Coaches don’t tell us what they are gonna do. I disregard everything every coach says to a reporter because it’s all about spin.

Why would you think any coach is going to reveal anything to the public?

21 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Funny. But what I had in mind was something like this: “We have some work to do to catch up with the Alabama’s of the world. It starts with recruiting and we’re hitting the trail. We have good players on this team, but not enough to win based on talent alone.” 

What he said instead was, essentially, “This team has plenty of talent to compete for championships.” Which I believe was his honest assessment at the time, because he provided rationale to support that conclusion.

My view is that this team has better talent than Kansas, and better than 4-6 talent. And I think it’s pretty clear that Sark had the same impression back in January.

There's no doubt the players available are light years beyond Kansas' roster.  None of this bodes well for this staff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You can’t point to any sunshine pumping or motivational quotes in future PCs and say “See, this guy gets it!” You have to disregard everything he says. 

Yeah, which is what 99% of football fans do by not paying any attention to press conferences.

There are pieces of actual information any coach gives (injuries, depth chart, etc...), but "coach speak" is just vague answers to even vaguer questions.

Question: "Did the team buy in?"

What is a REAL answer to that question? It's 100 different personalities going on and they're all doing things over the course of months. There is no real answer to this, so everything said is mostly BS. Elite coaches to garbage coaches. Straight-shooter coaches to politician coaches.

Question: "Are you going to get it turned around?"

How the hell can a coach know the answer to this? I can't see the future. For all I know my team will rally around something and win out, or they'll all get in a huge fight over FIFA. Or the other teams will collapse in their own ways. 

And on and on and on. We get stupid answers because we ask stupid questions.

And any real questions will never be answered, for good reason.

"Between Card and Thompson, which guy has the most support among the players?"

"Which coach do you have the least confidence in?"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Is it possible that Sark already won Texas a national championship?  Like, was he the dumbass at USC that decided to leave Reggie Bush on the bench when we stuffed Lendale on that 4th down play that paved the way for Vince to do his thing?

Nah, we'd have stuffed Reggie, too.  That defense was hungrier than Bob Stoops at an all-you-can-eat dick buffet.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think an argument can be made against allowing the impatience of boosters and fans to dictate when coaches should be fired. Stanley Marcus once lamented the fact that so few of us have the patience to put in the hard work to “become” good. We just think we have a right to immediately “be” good. He called that way of thinking a failed self fulfilling prophecy. 
It’s something to think about.

Meanwhile…

23 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Is it possible that Sark already won Texas a national championship?  Like, was he the dumbass at USC that decided to leave Reggie Bush on the bench when we stuffed Lendale on that 4th down play that paved the way for Vince to do his thing?

And he was the head coach at Texas when he won the championship at Bama so that counts too. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I think an argument can be made against allowing the impatience of boosters and fans to dictate when coaches should be fired. Stanley Marcus once lamented the fact that so few of us have the patience to put in the hard work to “become” good. We just think we have a right to immediately “be” good. He called that way of thinking a failed self fulfilling prophecy. 
It’s something to think about.

Meanwhile…

Once you get past the sadness and apathy you feel watching that video, the reaction of the kids is pretty fucking funny.

1 hour ago, JohnnyLamJones said:

Snark has no shame. He will rob and cheat anyone and thing he can. After all he was once a failing used computer salesman that Norm Chow pulled out of the gutter. And then backstabbed Chow at USC. Classless loser.

Huh, I just heard similar talk over the weekend from a buddy of mine who works at Amazon corporate and was around Sark in Seattle circles when he was at UW. He was going off about how Sark is a classless loser with no moral compass and is a shitty human being. I thought he was just talking about the booze at first, and he said, "Dude, that was the least of his problems. He's a scumbag." I know the drinking was common knowledge, but I'd never heard questionable things about his character before. My buddy acted like it was just common knowledge. 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Huh, I just heard similar talk over the weekend from a buddy of mine who works at Amazon corporate and was around Sark in Seattle circles when he was at UW. He was going off about how Sark is a classless loser with no moral compass and is a shitty human being. I thought he was just talking about the booze at first, and he said, "Dude, that was the least of his problems. He's a scumbag." I know the drinking was common knowledge, but I'd never heard questionable things about his character before. My buddy acted like it was just common knowledge. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe that’s why the team quit on him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

This was from as UW site from around the time he was hired 

image.thumb.png.2aa0f2d7fe52ac370bef19d20cc0ba56.png

I believe Sark was what they call a “functioning” alcoholic. Now, obviously being an alcoholic is not sustainable long term, and he needed to get sober for increased life expectancy purposes, but I don’t necessarily believe he was a worse coach because of his alcoholism (aside from being a poor role model)

Edited by perfectchaos007

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I believe Sark was what they call a “functioning” alcoholic. Now, obviously being an alcoholic is not sustainable long term, and he needed to get sober for increased life expectancy purposes, but I don’t necessarily believe he was a worse coach because of his alcoholism (aside from being a poor role model)

I agree that it is clear he wasn't a worse coach due to alcohol.  

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I know it's not popular here, but that vid of them filming his catch was pretty awesome.

I’m not even mad at him. I was furious Saturday night, but not at him.

At this point, our sheer ineptitude is almost funny. When Sarkisian couldn’t get to the presser today because he was stuck in an elevator, I nearly lost it laughing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyLamJones said:

That's what they said after USC canned him .... then  Saban (and Saban's agent) put him through the Lane Kiffin (same agent) Bama rehab center. 

Snark has no shame. He will rob and cheat anyone and thing he can. After all he was once a failing used computer salesman that Norm Chow pulled out of the gutter. And then backstabbed Chow at USC. Classless loser.

Below story is from the LA Times on how Sarkisian shut out everyone from his past in Calif,    most notably John Featherstone who persuaded him to start playing football at El Camino JC.   Featherstone recently passed away and never heard from Sarkisian.    Perhaps this conduct is normal for people who have overcame alcoholism in a need to block the past,  don't know.    But it supports your opinion.

Marsden should know he is not alone. On Sarkisian’s breakneck journey back to the top at Texas, he shut out other key people from his past, including his coach and mentor at Torrance’s El Camino College, the now-deceased John Featherstone, and El Camino offensive coordinator, Gene Engle. These men were important enough to Sarkisian that he invited them to a USC spring practice in 2015 as an acknowledgment of the role they played in his development.

Later that fall, Feather and Engle called to tell him that they were praying for him, they loved him and would support him through anything. Like Marsden, they never heard from Sarkisian again.

“Other than God, who really knows what’s in the heart of a man?” Engle says. “So I can’t speak to what’s inside Steve. Both Feather and I were really hurt. It bothers me a lot.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2021-09-02/to-recover-from-usc-fall-texas-coach-steve-sarkisian-shut-out-those-who-built-him

On 11/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Azbadlands said:

Sark needs to hire a hard ass DC with some Head Coaching experience to turn this around.  Gary Patterson would be perfect.  He needs a pipe hitter to come in and be the bad cop to get the team's attitude and motivation right.  The staff needs a bunch of bad cop types, not just Bo...Sark seems like too much of a nice guy that his message doesn't sink in with the players...Mack became a much better Head Coach with Greg Robinson, Will Muschamp, and even Gene Chizik there to show some fire and rally the troops...

kevin steele

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

Woah. These recent posts are painting a really bad narrative. 

how the fuck did he pass the background check.   He seems like a horrible person 

What background check? Some Big Cigar probably just said that is who we are getting after watching a couple of BAMA games.  It seems like they don't put much thought or research into hiring football coaches once the first option turns them away..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Rage+1 1

I think yall might be interested to hear from someone who isnt a  U. of Texas fan. 

I am an old SWC fan and the first time i ever watched the Longhorns was the Orange Bowl after the 1964 season, when Texas upset Alabama.  Texas has had many great teams over the years, but right now they are really struggling. There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark. ALL proven winners before they came to Texas.  The problem isnt with your coaches...Texas needs a change to their attitude and culture and how the program does things. Coach Royal once told me that many of his best players were recruits that werent highly sought after out of high school,  but after being worked with and developed, became great players. Yall need hard workers with a little blood on their knuckles who wont quit on you when the going gets tough. and dont worry about how many stars they have...Coach Sark knows how to win, he certainly proved that at previous stops. Give him a chance to turn things around...Yall's quick trigger on getting rid of coaches is a big reason you are in the situation youre in..  Programs and the kids who play, need stability. 

So i will be keeping an eye on what happens and how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

I think yall might be interested to hear from someone who isnt a  U. of Texas fan. 

I am an old SWC fan and the first time i ever watched the Longhorns was the Orange Bowl after the 1964 season, when Texas upset Alabama.  Texas has had many great teams over the years, but right now they are really struggling. There was nothing wrong with Mack Brown, or Strong, or Herman or Sark. ALL proven winners before they came to Texas.  The problem isnt with your coaches...Texas needs a change to their attitude and culture and how the program does things. Coach Royal once told me that many of his best players were recruits that werent highly sought after out of high school,  but after being worked with and developed, became great players. Yall need hard workers with a little blood on their knuckles who wont quit on you when the going gets tough. and dont worry about how many stars they have...Coach Sark knows how to win, he certainly proved that at previous stops. Give him a chance to turn things around...Yall's quick trigger on getting rid of coaches is a big reason you are in the situation youre in..  Programs and the kids who play, need stability. 

Sark hasn't won shit anywhere 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

ok GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Monte from Aldine isd said:

I didn't realize Russian Bots lived in Aldine. 

Hola Comrade, como es Houston Vlazhnost?  

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

Sark hasn't won shit anywhere 

Exactly, Bama won a shit ton of games before Sark got there and they will continue to do so now that he is gone. When he's calling the shots, his track record was slightly above average and trending down now that he is at Texas. I fucking refuse to believe losing to KU was a forgone conclusion this year, no matter the coach. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2