Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'd rather we stop using "retarded" to describe stuff.  Gay people can turn around and punch somebody that says "that's gay", and rightfully so.  And they have legions of people to help defend them legally and physically.  

"Retarded" basically have their immediate families, and that's it...when it comes to advocacy.  

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive.  I'm probably just being a little gay about all this...

Down syndrome gif 2 » GIF Images Download

On 3/24/2022 at 9:54 AM, burntorangebongos said:

So no one is getting real coke or heroin anymore at all? Wow. That would deter me from trying it right there if everything was fake. Fuck that.

Nah you can still get good coke. A lot of it's shitty but that's been the case for a long time now I'd imagine. And now there's coke with fent in it so you want to be pretty careful (or just don't do blow). 

I think quality heroin is more difficult to find because fent is much more analogous as a drug. You can pass fent for heroin or oxys or whatever but you can't do that with coke. You can cut coke with it. 

heard my friend’s kid say that the missouri river was the longest in the country. I said no, you stupid kid, everyone knows it’s the mississippi. but then wikipedia showed me this. I’m pretty sure the mississippi was observed as the longest when I was in school. did this change recently or do I have dementia?

3BA2A677-8952-448D-A1FB-3B9A622D318F.png

Technically, the Missouri is a tributary of the Mississippi.  I think the measurements have something to do with "at what point does the confluence belong to one river over the other river?"  

If you have the occasion, have your buddy take his kid to the origin of the Mighty Miss...mid-sized Lake Itasca, Minnesota.  There's great Muskie and Walleye and Bass fishing.  You wouldn't believe such a massive river flows from such a humble lake, you can swim across it even.  Then zip the kid down to the massive, massive Mississippi Delta.  An absolute sight to behold as it flows all the way into the Gulf of Mexico.  An awe-inspiring feat of nature.  Then tell him to smack the kid in the back of his head and say, "Don't ever disagree with my friends you little shit."  

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Is it legal to be buried without a casket or embalming? Say if you own some land out in the boonies somewhere, can you just have yourself buried there and forgo all the bs?

If not, why the hell not? Lobbying by the mortician industrial complex?

I think most states say you need to be buried in a "suitable container".  Embalming can be skipped for religious reason.

So my advice is to purchase a large box (perhaps with the words Fra-gile on them) and join a cult. Problem solved.

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Is it legal to be buried without a casket or embalming? Say if you own some land out in the boonies somewhere, can you just have yourself buried there and forgo all the bs?

If not, why the hell not? Lobbying by the mortician industrial complex?

Yep. And in Texas there are even dedicated places to do it for you. 
https://www.eloisewoods.com/about.html

15 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I think most states say you need to be buried in a "suitable container".  Embalming can be skipped for religious reason.

So my advice is to purchase a large box (perhaps with the words Fra-gile on them) 

What do we do if we’re not Italian?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Was there some update to the style guides in the last ten years that shifted everybody away from pled to pleaded? I swear we used to always say that someone "pled guilty", but now everything is pleaded and as long as I've tried it still sounds off to me. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BearMace said:

Was there some update to the style guides in the last ten years that shifted everybody away from pled to pleaded? I swear we used to always say that someone "pled guilty", but now everything is pleaded and as long as I've tried it still sounds off to me. 

Yes, it has been changed.  Also, "seen" has been changed to "seent"

iseentit.jpg

Edited by Doze
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BearMace said:

I work for an appellate court, and our internal opinion guidelines have, for consistency's sake, said to use "pleaded" for at least the last 20 years. 

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve noticed that on science and nature shows they now say “octopuses” instead of “octopi.” I don’t know when that change took place but it was at least three years ago. 

Did you log the exact date down on a Word doc?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BearMace said:

There was a slight uptick in "pled"  from about 1980 with a peak in 2000, but "pleaded" has always been the dominant form. 

Screenshot_20220707-200856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9a8c30987af379e3dc92f95835deed66.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-200935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.94799ae957a31f86c2b6597b741eb811.jpg

https://grammarist.com/usage/pleaded-pled/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve noticed that on science and nature shows they now say “octopuses” instead of “octopi.” I don’t know when that change took place but it was at least three years ago. 

Octopi has never been correct. That's because octopus is of Greek origin, not Latin. 

In the Pat Green song SONGS ABOUT TEXAS he sings this stanza at the end

”Sing me one more song about those dusty plains.

Them honkytonk angels and their lonely bee hive pain

I wish I was stowed away on a fast movin train

Im a going home.”

Now, I know my way around honkytonk angels, but what the hell is lonely bee hive pain?

55 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Im a going home.”

Now, I know my way around honkytonk angels, but what the hell is lonely bee hive pain?

Pretty sure it has something to do with women's hair......

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 11:34 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

*octopodes

Can a female athlete/ worker be a stud?

Colleague today said " She's going to be a stud once she gets some experience( at work.)   I started laughing and then started thinking about it.  Yeah, if it's an individual you'd want more of on your team, I could support the notion.*

*no politics/gender identity/ misogyny was intended whatsoever. 

Just wondering if saying that is fucked up or fairly accurate, given the circumstances and respectful tone of the discussion. 

Just now, slorch said:

Colleague today said " She's going to be a stud once she gets some experience( at work.)   I started laughing and then started thinking about it.  Yeah, if it's an individual you'd want more of on your team, I could support the notion.*

Just wondering if saying that is fucked up or fairly accurate, given the circumstances and respectful tone of the discussion. 

Sure. Just like a dude can be a bitch. And calling a female a dick often really resonates. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, slorch said:

Hear it all the time for female athletes.  So yeah, that's fine.  It's not a comment on looks, but on performance. 

Edited by Js1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:53 AM, CoTex said:

Im a going home.”

Shit cotex he was high when he said that. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Shit cotex he was high when he said that. 

I’ve never had much success with that excuse.  I usually resort to dishonesty thinking that any story, even a bull shit story, has to be better than “I was high.”

Technically, the Missouri is a tributary of the Mississippi.  I think the measurements have something to do with "at what point does the confluence belong to one river over the other river?"  
If you have the occasion, have your buddy take his kid to the origin of the Mighty Miss...mid-sized Lake Itasca, Minnesota.  There's great Muskie and Walleye and Bass fishing.  You wouldn't believe such a massive river flows from such a humble lake, you can swim across it even.  Then zip the kid down to the massive, massive Mississippi Delta.  An absolute sight to behold as it flows all the way into the Gulf of Mexico.  An awe-inspiring feat of nature.  Then tell him to smack the kid in the back of his head and say, "Don't ever disagree with my friends you little shit."  

And then go to Cairo and see the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio and wonder why the fuck the tiny river on the right is the one that keeps the name.

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

Am I the only person that puts delivery/take out pizza in a warm oven to keep it fresh between getting slices?

You put the cardboard box in there?

I can’t speak for anyone else but a plateful usually makes a complete meal for me and I don’t go back for seconds. My takeout pizza has a lifecycle, though. The first meal is hot out of the box. I’ll leave the box on the counter overnight and have a meal at room temperature the next day. Then it goes in the fridge. I love cold pizza. There might be a little snacking at either of those two states. But the final step on the third day, if there’s anything left, is to reheat it in a pan on the stove. I’ll put a cover or a sheet of foil on top to help the cheese melt and it’s almost as good as new. (Just finished a weekend pie that way yesterday. It was glorious.)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, smoky said:

Why are elevator shafts (or are they stairwells) the first thing built in a building? Several stories up, with nothing else on that same level...

Or are they air shafts for the ventilation system?

I imagine it’s because it’s easier to build them first plus they might offer some structural integrity as the rest of the building is built up around them. But that’s just a guess. I don’t really know. Sounds logical enough, though. 

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

Am I the only person that puts delivery/take out pizza in a warm oven to keep it fresh between getting slices?

Yes, you are. 
But don’t feel bad for eating your pizza as slow as my four year-old niece does. I was in my 40s before I learned that reheating pizza in an oven is far superior to reheating in a microwave. Just takes a little more patience. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1