Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

3 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Yes, you are. 
But don’t feel bad for eating your pizza as slow as my four year-old niece does. I was in my 40s before I learned that reheating pizza in an oven is far superior to reheating in a microwave. Just takes a little more patience. 

The only issue is that no matter how you re-heat it, it's still nowhere near as good as when you first get it. I actually feel like I overeat when I get pizza because I know it's not going to be near as good the next day, so may as well enjoy it now.

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Oven?

Fuck that. 

Air fryer. And it’s not even close. 

Not sure about air fryer, since have never tried. 

But absent that, reheating in a skillet (mentioned earlier) is an absolute game-changer. If it’s a bit thicker, a lid or foil will help heat all the toppings through, while the crust gets a GLORIOUS crisp on it.

In MANY cases, I will do this with takeout pizza as soon as I get it home. Because it makes it that much better.

(Holy F, just realized I have a black stone griddle. Could slap two or three WHOLE pies on there and give everyone the glory of the crispy crust.)

Edited by SurlyORama

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll put a cover or a sheet of foil on top to help the cheese melt and it’s almost as good as new. (Just finished a weekend pie that way yesterday. It was glorious.)

The proper way to melt the cheese while reheating in a skillet is to heat your slice both crust-side and cheese-side down.  If you start cheese-side down, then flip your slice, the crust will crisp up in the cheese/pepperoni oil.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The only issue is that no matter how you re-heat it, it's still nowhere near as good as when you first get it. I actually feel like I overeat when I get pizza because I know it's not going to be near as good the next day, so may as well enjoy it now.

Air Fryer/Convection Toaster Oven. (Air Fry being nothing more than a fancy name for convection.)

Game. Over.

You're welcome.

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You put the cardboard box in there?

yes.  pizza in box in a 200ish oven.  keeps it hot. 

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll leave the box on the counter overnight and have a meal at room temperature the next day.

team america vomit GIF

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Yes, you are. 
But don’t feel bad for eating your pizza as slow as my four year-old niece does.

i like to savor it.  get a slice, eat it, finish the beer i opened, get another slice, finish another beer, rinse, repeat. 

it's not just that, though.  a few weeks back i went over to a friend's, pizza was delivered before another friend got there, and they just left the pizza sitting on the table getting cold for 30 minutes while waiting for the last person to arrive. 

3 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

But absent that, reheating in a skillet (mentioned earlier) is an absolute game-changer. If it’s a bit thicker, a lid or foil will help heat all the toppings through, while the crust gets a GLORIOUS crisp on it.

Yep. I don’t recall where or when I first heard that tip but I gave it a try and haven’t looked back. It was an eye opener. 

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I find certain thin crust pizzas even better when eaten as cold leftovers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2022 at 8:48 PM, smoky said:

Why are elevator shafts (or are they stairwells) the first thing built in a building? Several stories up, with nothing else on that same level...

On 8/1/2022 at 2:23 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Or are they air shafts for the ventilation system?

I imagine it’s because it’s easier to build them first plus they might offer some structural integrity as the rest of the building is built up around them. But that’s just a guess. I don’t really know. Sounds logical enough, though. 

The stair and elevator shafts often times work as lateral bracing until other lateral elements (eg brace frames) are introduced. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, creeper said:

The proper way to melt the cheese while reheating in a skillet is to heat your slice both crust-side and cheese-side down.  If you start cheese-side down, then flip your slice, the crust will crisp up in the cheese/pepperoni oil.

Fuck me this is brilliant. I always have issues finding the right heat to properly heat toppings up without burning the crust when I do the skillet method. I don't have a lid for the skillet I like to use. 

Fuck me this is brilliant. I always have issues finding the right heat to properly heat toppings up without burning the crust when I do the skillet method. I don't have a lid for the skillet I like to use. 

Sheet pans make good temporary lids for pans that don’t have one. Just lay on top for a minute or so.

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Sorry you’re from Ohio…when you reheat McDonald’s pizza…

https://www.today.com/food/mcdonald-s-pizza-thing-exists-here-s-where-get-it-t109801

Lulz. You have no clue about the bounty of mom ‘n’ pop pizza joints I have to choose from. If you’re dining on Domino’s and Papa John’s then I hate to break it to you but you’re the one living in a pizza desert. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz. You have no clue about the bounty of mom ‘n’ pop pizza joints I have to choose from. If you’re dining on Domino’s and Papa John’s then I hate to break it to you but you’re the one living in a pizza desert. 

Is the view from your ivory tower all that you hoped it to be? I got kids and a short window for order/delivery/eating so yeah big chain pizza has the faster delivery and easiest ordering via their apps so crap pizza happens, and an air fryer makes it better.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I'm hesitant to interrupt the pizza kerfuffle, but...according to the googletrons the amount of water in the earth's atmosphere remains relatively stable. There is drought in North America. There is drought in Europe. It never rains in Africa. Where is all the water?

Eastern Kentucky and Las Vegas. 

11 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I'm hesitant to interrupt the pizza kerfuffle, but...according to the googletrons the amount of water in the earth's atmosphere remains relatively stable. There is drought in North America. There is drought in Europe. It never rains in Africa. Where is all the water?

A shitload of it is here in Atlanta…

How do astronomers know for years in advance when an eclipse will occur and where it will be visible? Looks like Austin will be in the perfect viewing point for one in 2023 and one in 2024. But how do they know down to the day?  Seems like it would take incredibly precise calculations and intense mathematics.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

How do astronomers know for years in advance when an eclipse will occur and where it will be visible? Looks like Austin will be in the perfect viewing point for one in 2023 and one in 2024. But how do they know down to the day?  Seems like it would take incredibly precise calculations and intense mathematics.

Total eclipse in Austin starts 1:36 pm on 8 Apr 2024, and lasts about 2 minutes. Head west a bit (e.g. Friedricksburg) to see the full length, about 4 minutes 30 seconds.

It does take precise calculations, but the motion of the sun and moon are modeled with great precision, so the calculation can be one. One thing that is not known as well, is the rotation speed of the earth, it fluctuates unpredictably (which is the reason for the occasional leap seconds) and that will affect exactly where on the surface of Earth the path goes. But that is a relatively small adjustment.

Fwiw, both Uluru/Ayers Rock in Australia, and Mecca in Saudia Arabia, are getting a total eclipse in the next couple of decades.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Not that Bob said:

We are drinking the same water the dinosaurs drank.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wait, where did this 2023 one come from?  I've known about the 2024 one for like two years and have been planning to get out to the Hill Country for it.  You're telling me we have the same thing in 2023 also?

Aha.  Annular in 2023, total in 2024.  Still looks pretty fucking cool though.

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-do-you-tell-the-difference-between-total-annular-solar-and-lunar-eclipses

Solar eclipses may be classified as either total, in which the Moon completely covers the Sun, or annular, in which the Moon obscures all but an outer ring of the Sun. Whether an eclipse is total or annular depends on the distance between these three objects. Earth travels in an elliptical orbit around the Sun, and the Moon travels in an elliptical orbit around Earth, so the distance between these celestial bodies changes. When the Sun is nearest to Earth and the Moon is at or near its greatest distance, the Moon appears smaller than the Sun in the sky. When an eclipse of the Sun happens in this situation, the Moon will not appear large enough to cover the disk of the Sun completely, and a rim or ring of light will remain visible in the sky. This is an annular eclipse.

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wait, where did this 2023 one come from?  I've known about the 2024 one for like two years and have been planning to get out to the Hill Country for it.  You're telling me we have the same thing in 2023 also?

Somehow I missed the 2023 one as well. Austin will not get a total annular eclipse for this one, on Sat 14 Oct 2023, but it will get about a 90% partial eclipse, between about 10:25 am to 1:30 pm. To see the full annular eclipse (which may not be much more exciting than the 90% partial), head to about San Angelo.