Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

3 hours ago, pantone159 said:

Somehow I missed the 2023 one as well. Austin will not get a total annular eclipse for this one, on Sat 14 Oct 2023, but it will get about a 90% partial eclipse, between about 10:25 am to 1:30 pm. To see the full annular eclipse (which may not be much more exciting than the 90% partial), head to about San Angelo.

I think this will be OU weekend, it is the second Saturday in October 2023. From the Cotton Bowl, this will be about an 80% partial eclipse, again from about 10:25 am to 1:30 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one, maybe this has been discussed?

Why is Coach Sark so yellow? Is it an Armenian thing? It's not jaundice, I hope?? Every time I see him it's just striking. And it's not fake tan or makeup for cameras, he's yellow all over, like the back of his neck even. And I've never seen any person ever--I know there are sometimes descriptions/slurs of Asians and African-Americans as yellow --having a truly yellow skin tone before. He's like a gol dang Simpsons character come to life.

What's The Deal??

23 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Here's one, maybe this has been discussed?

Why is Coach Sark so yellow? Is it an Armenian thing? It's not jaundice, I hope?? Every time I see him it's just striking. And it's not fake tan or makeup for cameras, he's yellow all over, like the back of his neck even. And I've never seen any person ever--I know there are sometimes descriptions/slurs of Asians and African-Americans as yellow --having a truly yellow skin tone before. He's like a gol dang Simpsons character come to life.

What's The Deal??

His liver has seen some shit, dude. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2

Someone tell Sark:

"Because of the malleability and general instability of racial categories, Armenians were able to take advantage of the blurry boundaries of whiteness, going from potential members of the “yellow race” to white persons eligible for naturalization."

https://ajammc.com/2017/08/29/armenian-whiteness-america/

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans

What do you guys do with old ass pictures and old family albums? Grandparents took good care of them but age is hitting. Really want to make sure these stay alive, it includes stuff from the time my great grandparents left Mexico for Abilene (terrible decision) in 1932 and times they picked cotton in Munday until moving to Dallas when they sold watermelon at the farmers market until the late 80s. Just a fuck ton of history that my little brother and other young generations have no clue about so I want to keep it alive. Long story not short what's the best way to digitize or keep these going?

Edited by Zepol87

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

What do you guys do with old ass pictures and old family albums? Grandparents took good care of them but age is hitting. Really want to make sure these stay alive, it includes stuff from the time my great grandparents left Mexico for Abilene (terrible decision) in 1932 and times they picked cotton in Munday until moving to Dallas when they sold watermelon at the farmers market until the late 80s. Just a fuck ton of history that my little brother and other young generations have no clue about so I want to keep it alive. Long story not short what's the best way to digitize or keep these going?

If you don't have access to a scanner, Google has a phone app that does passable job of scanning. It's a little tricky at first to align the corners, which is key, but it works.

• Hook 'Em 1

Photo scanning them is a pretty easy way to do it yourself. If you're really serious about keeping the absolute best quality, or have a lot to do, there are digitization companies you can ship them to who at minimum will scan them for you. Extra cost gets you some color/contrast correction, scratch correction, etc. If you want to do it yourself but care about quality, you can buy a flatbed scanner and do the corrections yourself, but be aware it takes a LOT of time.

In my case it was all about preserving the memory, not really the quality, so I did the lazy version of photo scan: I just took a digital photo of each photo.

IMG_4000.thumb.JPG.0b1adff5ed7afc947e3d44eb027590dc.JPG

Bought my mom a legit scanner for docs and more importantly for slides so she could start saving important picts and docs and shit to a medium I could save to some digital or cloud service or have some sanity in collecting.

A year later? Dickaroo done. Nada. 1k wasted.

A service for this turnkey would print money.

My mom has spent the last several years scanning pictures from her grandparents/parents.  Thousands of pictures.  In addition to the actual time scanning there is a lot of time trying to figure out names and dates if not already noted.

Worthwhile project though.  I'm glad to have the digital copies and I'm also glad that I didn't have to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It’s an old tradition where the corp dudes squeeze their nut sack as hard as they can so they can endure a similar pain the football team is experiencing on the field in a tight game.

Yeah. That’s it. That’s the story behind it. 
They also stand dick to butt to memorialize the many smooth buttfuckings the team has endured over the past generations with a focused eye forward and ahead to future fuckings with a happy heart.

Tradition.
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2022 at 7:02 PM, Zepol87 said:

The main thing is make sure they tell you (or better yet, write it on the back of the photo) who is in the photo, where they are, etc. so once they die (or get Alzheimer's, like my grandmother) you don't just have a box of pictures and not have any idea who the extended family is.  

(I see Nuge beat me to it . . . by 1 month.  But solid advice).

Edited by Bullneck

On 9/8/2022 at 1:10 AM, Born to Run said:

Bought my mom a legit scanner for docs and more importantly for slides so she could start saving important picts and docs and shit to a medium I could save to some digital or cloud service or have some sanity in collecting.

A year later? Dickaroo done. Nada. 1k wasted.

A service for this turnkey would print money.

There are places in every major city that will do this for you.  I was in a class once where I had to develop a business plan (outside what I normally do all day) and I came up with a chain of businesses for this.  But there are "one offs" everywhere.  

59 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Related.  This brought the lulz.

r/baseball - In effort to get larger, the Blue Jays added 5-8, 265lb Alejandro Kirk to the taxi squad. So I updated yesterday's graphic accordingly. You're welcome.

Bigger than the 1969 UT national championship OL.

Average blue Jay OL above 255.83#.

Average 1969 UT starting OL 221.6#.

1969 UT starting OL:
OT Bob McKay 6’6”, 245

G Bobby Mitchell 5’11”, 206

TE Randy Peschel 6’1”, 195

G Randy Stout 6’2”, 241

OT Bobby Wuensch 6’3”, 221

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, pantone159 said:

I think this will be OU weekend, it is the second Saturday in October 2023. From the Cotton Bowl, this will be about an 80% partial eclipse, again from about 10:25 am to 1:30 pm.

OU weekend is the 2nd weekend of the fair right (which is usually the 2nd weekend of October but not always)? 

The first weekend of the fair 2023 is sept 29th so I assume OU will be Oct 7th

Edited by hornbri

35 minutes ago, hornbri said:

OU weekend is the 2nd weekend of the fair right (which is usually the 2nd weekend of October but not always)? 

The first weekend of the fair 2023 is sept 29th so I assume OU will be Oct 7th

I'm not sure exactly what day OU weekend will be. Somewhere I got the idea it was the second Saturday in October, which would be 14 Oct next year. But I don't know for sure, and the fact that neither UT nor OU has a date on their schedule, tells me it is not quite set yet.

Bigger than the 1969 UT national championship OL.
Average blue Jay OL above 255.83#.

Average 1969 UT starting OL 221.6#.

1969 UT starting OL:
OT Bob McKay 6’6”, 245
G Bobby Mitchell 5’11”, 206
TE Randy Peschel 6’1”, 195
G Randy Stout 6’2”, 241
OT Bobby Wuensch 6’3”, 221

Why is Randy Peschel playing C?
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why is Randy Peschel playing C?

Just took the starting lineup from here and put in heights and weights. I’m sure most everyone on the board is more familiar than me with the 69 horns. Was not intending to be obtuse or inaccurate. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Texas_Longhorns_football_team

18 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

@BillyGoatHill’s Lavaca St. tab. 

Melissa Villasenor Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

After the game, The Mrs was glad I called her to come get me, but still mad over our dinner date being cancelled.

Taking me back into town Sunday morning was no picnic either. Prior to her picking me up on Saturday, I had moved the truck out of the garage I was in onto Colorado and 7th.....her taking me back Sunday, and going by her phone pin.....took us to 7th and she said with a sneer "You were parked right here, you've been towed" .....Fuck!!!

I looked around and said, "this isn't the street" (though not really sure),... Got out of her vehicle, walked up to the intersection, looked to left, and there was my truck. 😛 ... As she drove by me, I told her I needed to wait for the bar to open as I couldn't find my sunglasses (later found them in my truck)....She drove off shaking her head at me and a look of disdain.  🤣

What can I say? She's stuck with me, my warranty has expired and there is NO trade in value for me. 30 years of bliss!

edit: She's a keeper though...

Had a buddy from the PNW contact me this morning and wants to go to the Thursday game between the Mariners and Astros. Gonna do that and maybe get him to stay for the ISU game....gonna be looking for 2 if that happens. Or maybe, we just watch from Lavaca!!

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There are places in every major city that will do this for you.  I was in a class once where I had to develop a business plan (outside what I normally do all day) and I came up with a chain of businesses for this.  But there are "one offs" everywhere.  
Yes, and that's what I'll do when she passes, but she lives in a small town, and I'd hoped the project would give her something to do.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Can somebody tell me if I should buy one of these series I Treasury Bonds?

I have some extra cash laying around from when my mom and her siblings sold the family farm, and passed her share of the sale on to me and my siblings.

Lots of good buys out there right now if you don't need absolute guarantee on funds.  Series I are hard to buy because of website problems but it can be done.   Consider buying stock index funds - anything, or a part of it in Great Britain stock funds that are pretty beaten because of the strength of $US.   Someone out front can help you with which ones - like vanguard. I suspect you will have way more than 10% growth over 2-3 years

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, nnm said:

Go for it, @High Plains Drifter.  How could you go wrong investing your nest egg based on advice from a place for broken-brained assholes, in a thread on dumb questions, from a poster named @beer, who has a MS Paint avatar?  

You left a lot of points on the bench with "MS Paint avatar"... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I've been seeing lately when driving my kid to school and back that's got me curious. I see lots of decent looking cars with their gas tank doors torn off exposing the metal underneath. The door is still there, just the outside piece of metal is missing. Seems to be on cars that have the zero line gas tank lids that you have to open from inside the car with a button. On my car, you just press in on the door and it pops out and opens up. Did these people get their gas tanks cracked open so people could steal their gas?  

Also noticing a lot of missing fenders and bumpers which I chalk up to being too cheap to fix or not enough parts. There are lots of shitty drivers with busted up cars in Dallas. 

• 4 weeks later...

They are doing a pre-auth with your card and after you sign it with the tip, they run the transaction.

Example: your lunch comes to $30. The waitress takes your card and Visa is checking if card and expiration match cardholder name and waitress asks for authorization of $40. VISA approves because it is within your credit limit. She comes back and you tip 8 for a total of $38, which is less than the preauthorization amount, VISA will pay them when they run the transaction. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
Example
  • Like 1