Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

On 4/26/2023 at 6:44 AM, Superhero said:

Do those teeth whitening strips with the shiny light actually work?

Depends on what you mean by “work.”  If you mean boost the bottom line of the manufacturer, then yes. If you mean whiten teeth, then no. 

Is there really not a separate thread where we can all go and be outraged together at the second amendment loving patriot in Cleveland who’s neighbors fucked around and found out about infringing on his mfing RIGHTS?

Can you sue a Sheriff in Texas for refusing to protect someone? Situation here on the beach. 82 year old handicapped man had his adult stepson move in with him to “help” him out. Stepson abuses and threatens said oldster, is said to be bipolar. He’s arrested, restraining order is written. Guy continues to show up, has cut all the water lines to the house broken a window, etc. and been picked up multiple times but never held more than a few hours, maybe overnight. The neighbors have banded together looking out for the man, and the dude showed up across the street at a weekender’s house and was sitting on their porch, but the Sheriff has said they won’t arrest him because whacko has a cancer diagnosis and a colostomy bag and they don’t have the facilities to hold or treat him. Any recourse against the Sheriff?

8 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Can you sue a Sheriff in Texas for refusing to protect someone? Situation here on the beach. 82 year old handicapped man had his adult stepson move in with him to “help” him out. Stepson abuses and threatens said oldster, is said to be bipolar. He’s arrested, restraining order is written. Guy continues to show up, has cut all the water lines to the house broken a window, etc. and been picked up multiple times but never held more than a few hours, maybe overnight. The neighbors have banded together looking out for the man, and the dude showed up across the street at a weekender’s house and was sitting on their porch, but the Sheriff has said they won’t arrest him because whacko has a cancer diagnosis and a colostomy bag and they don’t have the facilities to hold or treat him. Any recourse against the Sheriff?

Call your local shit disturbing news channel and get them to shame the sheriff. 

Call your local shit disturbing news channel and get them to shame the sheriff. 

Closest news channel is in Victoria, and it’s literally the quality you’d expect from a small HS A/V club. Supposedly one of the neighbors contacted the County Judge and the Rangers about the inaction, we’ll see. I guess what I was wondering is after this a-hole kills this old man, can his family sue if they can prove he knew there was a danger he’d be harmed and refused to protect him or enforce the court order.

If you have to, send certified letters to the sheriff, signature required, explaining every detail, etc. 

Not because it may help to further light a fire under their ass, but because later on it helps provide proof that all attempts were made and gives them no real out in court.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Since they’re doing all these rule changes to speed up the game, should we stop thinking about baseball?

Lol. Actually caught a ballgame on a network station over the weekend. The pitch clock is awesome. Keeps the game moving.

I watched a bit until a pitcher was pulled after getting one out in the inning, no runners on, no trouble, etc. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:33 PM, GoPokes83 said:

As a matter of federal law, no. Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005).

As a matter of Texas law? You must be new here. 

• Like 1

Lawyer types: Many years ago my neighbor built a storage shed very close to the property line. At the time there were no property setbacks at the beach, but there have recently been some implemented. A giant tree fell on his shed and his insurance company said the building is a complete loss. He’s planning on rebuilding on the original slab. Will the new building be grandfathered as the slab is still encroaching on the property line, or will he need to move it as the replacement will be considered new construction? He and his wife are absentee owners who run the place as an Air B&B and have proven to be complete nightmare a-holes to deal with over even the slightest issue with all of the neighbors. It’s not a tremendous deal, but I’d love to screw with them even a little if possible.

What state? HOA? Are slabs limited because of impervious cover rules-slab probably gf'd. Complete new construction of shed shouldn't be gf'd (he should leave old frame and "remodel" - prob gf'd). BUT unless city requires building permits, they probably won't care. Think it is civil matter that will require you to sue neighbor.

I would not be ashamed to mess with him if he is a dicc, esp. if absentee owner.

Maybe CYHMWT is better subforum for this tho. GL!

Edited by woohorn

What state? HOA? Are slabs limited because of impervious cover rules-slab probably gf'd. Complete new construction of shed shouldn't be gf'd (he should leave old frame and "remodel" - prob gf'd). BUT unless city requires building permits, they probably won't care. Think it is civil matter that will require you to sue neighbor.
I would not be ashamed to mess with him if he is a dicc, esp. if absentee owner.
Maybe CYHMWT is better subforum for this tho. GL!

Texas America, no HOA, county building permit only, no inspection. This is how much of a dick he is. Neighbor behind me abuts his back yard. Two giant ash trees (50 footers) about 6 ft apart one in each yard. Neighbor one has his cut down as half of it is dead. Sends a-hole neighbor a text saying that his tree guy said he looked at his tree while he was there and it’s hollow and rotten and should probably be removed soon, he gives the tree guy’s info and says he’ll be glad to help if needed as they live out of town. No reply, no “Thanks for the heads up”, nothing. Two days later the Sheriff’s deputy is knocking on backyard neighbor’s door with a criminal trespass warning that he needs to sign and a warning that he’ll be arrested if he goes onto the guy’s property again, tree guy gets same treatment. 5-6 months later and his tree falls over, smashing his shed and takes out about 1/4 of my big live oak. He kind of got some karmic justice served, but that’s just the most recent of the many examples of his douchiness.
  • Rage+1 2

You've left out (or I missed) a very important fact or two. Who issued or what contains the setback line? Also, your post says the shed is over a setback line and also encroaches on the property line (does that mean over the property line?). Setback lines are typically either by zoning, platting or deed restrictions. Property lines are, of course, based on boundary lines/legal descriptions in deeds. Enforcement varies depending on what is being violated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
You've left out (or I missed) a very important fact or two. Who issued or what contains the setback line? Also, your post says the shed is over a setback line and also encroaches on the property line (does that mean over the property line?). Setback lines are typically either by zoning, platting or deed restrictions. Property lines are, of course, based on boundary lines/legal descriptions in deeds. Enforcement varies depending on what is being violated.

Recent Zoning. Within the last couple of years.

4 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Maybe one of you can dumb this down for me. If space is infinite, yet it’s also continually expanding where does it expand to? If you can measure that it’s expanding then doesn’t that mean it’s not really infinite?

It has plenty room to expand in the aggy Hall of Champions at Pyle Field.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Reddit users are all mad about some reddit change where they won't be able to use third party apps to read reddit but the reddit app which everyone says is shit. I use  google chrome browser on my phone. Will I be affected by this app thing? I guess reddit is going to IPO so it will be different soon. 

Are you using "old reddit" or the shitty reddit design? Any of the enhancements for the Chrome browser? 

I wouldn't worry about it too much because Reddit will cave in some way.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is the condensation that forma on freezer gel packs slimy? They're not leaking but whenever condensation forms on them it's slimy shit and you can rinse it off, but they get slimy again and again 
Thought one was leaking but, no, same slime. I put them in quart size freezer bags to avoid the slime.

When I renovate my kids’ bathroom later this / early next year, if I “lose” value on the house if i take out the tub and just have a shower?
Depends on a lot of things. Maybe. A certain number of buyers with small children will absolutely want a tub. Is there another tub in the house? Anecdotally a lot of my clients on new builds will go with showers; so there will be a market upon resale but if you live a neighborhood that is mostly young families it may cost you a motivated buyer.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

When I renovate my kids’ bathroom later this / early next year, if I “lose” value on the house if i take out the tub and just have a shower?

PM me your specifics, and I will comp it with or without a tub.  But, knowing what I think I know about your neighborhood, I'd keep the tub

14 hours ago, Born to Run said:
17 hours ago, Superhero said:

Depends on a lot of things. Maybe. A certain number of buyers with small children will absolutely want a tub. Is there another tub in the house? Anecdotally a lot of my clients on new builds will go with showers; so there will be a market upon resale but if you live a neighborhood that is mostly young families it may cost you a motivated buyer.

There will still be a tub in the master bath.

We had young kids when we moved in, and we'd bathe them in our tub. After they were old enough, they graduated to showering in their own bathroom, and they rarely, if ever take a bath anymore.

We're within walking distance to elementary and middle school within walking distance, and there are a decent number of kids. but also a lot of households with older, or no kids. There are a lot of other things going for the location besides good schools, so people will without kids should be interested as well.

Can someone ELI5 why there are wild swings in gas prices the last few months? I've seen this 4 or 5 times now in Round Rock where when I'm going to work, gas is like 2.95/gal for 87 octane. On the way home from work, it's now $3.29/gal. This is with no appreciable price movement in crude or nothing in the news that I could see affecting wholesale prices. The last few times I've seen it, prices slowly get walked down over a week or two, then they all spike up again.

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Would those spikes happen to correlate with a large portion of the job sector getting paid?

Bi-weekly, bi-monthly, etc?

It does that in my area. 

not sure about the past handful I've seen but the latest one was today. Was driving down 79 in Round Rock headed to work this morning and all the stations along the way were 2.92 - 2.99. Decided to procrastinate and wait to get gas on the way home from work. Pull back through at 6pm and every station was at 3.29.