Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

When my head fills up with snot and I'm blowing my nose constantly, am I gaining or losing weight as a result? 

This hits close to home right now...probably losing weight 'cause you don't feel like eating.

Aggies started using gig'em in 1930's prior to a game against the Horned Frogs (apparently they didn't know that Horned Frogs aren't the frog gigging type of frogs).  Once it was uttered twice, it was a tradition.

Harley Clark came up with the Hook'em hand sign in the mid-1950's.  Not sure about when the phrase was first used.

• Like 1

Probably more like hot tea served in dainty China cups, with pinky fingers extended.

This.

Also, to do my best Randolph Duke impersonation, before crazy people began convincing sane people that Texas Independence was about nothing but rich white men sticking it to Mexico, (after Mexicans stuck it to the Spanish who stuck it to the indigenous people, but I digress) service/spirit orgs would host a party in front of the tower on March 2nd. Can’t remember if it was Orange Jackets or APO who would pass out “Texas Tea”. Seeing as March 2nd celebrations on campus go back to at least 1897, there’s a decent chance some young people smiled in March of 44 in Austin while the Officers of TAMU were instructing Patton/Eisenhower/Montgomery exactly how Operation Overlord would be planned.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:23 PM, BearSchlong said:
On 1/4/2019 at 1:55 AM, Your Mom said:
Tea sippers is what that ags used to call the Horns.  As in softies who sip iced tea.  

Probably more like hot tea served in dainty China cups, with pinky fingers extended.

Correct. According to aggy, they are real texans who drink iced tea, we are not real texans because we sip hot tea.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why would you pay gift tax (normally paid by the gifter) on game show winnings? I would imagine that you get a 1099G on it.

You wouldn't. There is a federal flat tax for winnings that is 25% iirc. This applies to gambling winnings and prize money (such as what you win on a game show). The lottery is taxed as normal income by the fed which is why you lose a considerably larger portion (up to 38%).

And yes, that isn't what a gift tax is at all. A gift tax is a way to prevent rich mofos from writing off ridiculous "gift" sums to each other and then deducting the amount from their taxes. 

"What? No! That wasn't income. It was a gift by the Rockefellers!"

Edited by ztejas

36 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Deduct what from their taxes, and write-off what?  I believe it's a device to circumvent a billionaire grandfather from gifting-away his estate and thus avoiding estate tax.  I'm not sure that income tax has anything to do with gift tax.  They're paid by two separate groups of people.

Correct, keeps you from reducing your estate with tax-free gifts to avoid estate tax after you die.

Deduct what from their taxes, and write-off what?  I believe it's a device to circumvent a billionaire grandfather from gifting-away his estate and thus avoiding estate tax.  I'm not sure that income tax has anything to do with gift tax.  They're paid by two separate groups of people.

Jerry, these big companies, they write off everything.

Signed,
Cosmo
  • Like 2

I have an office, but I mostly work from home.  I have a kid home sick today.  I have been in the office at home all morning pretending to work but work is really dead right now.  Would it be a bad move to go out and turn the xbox on and fuck off the rest of the afternoon?  I don't want the kid to bust me and mom to think I do that everyday, even though I do most days.  Cause dear daughter would spill the beans.  And I am freaking bored.

Edited by Moby Ric

I have an office, but I mostly work from home.  I have a kid home sick today.  I have been in the office at home all morning pretending to work but work is really dead right now.  Would it be a bad move to go out and turn the xbox on and fuck off the rest of the afternoon?  I don't want the kid to bust me and mom to think I do that everyday, even though I do most days.  Cause dear daughter would spill the beans.  And I am freaking bored.
That's what surly is for. And Reddit GW.

Move farther

1 hour ago, JSB said:

What kind of outdoor water faucets do people way up north have? I am in DFW and have had my faucet bust with the styrofoam cover on it, when it only got down into the low 20's. 

Try to move farther from Oklahoma.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elvis said:

Move farther

Try to move farther from Oklahoma.

Not helpful

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Way up north houses are built with separate water shutoffs for exterior faucets so they can winterize and drain water from the exterior lines, or spigots with recessed valves so the water stops well within the wall.

Helpful, thanks. I'm not gonna retro-fit or anything, but will keep that in mind if.... and believe me, its a big if hqdefault.jpg I ever build another house, I will be sure to add that feature

On 1/29/2019 at 4:45 AM, Sam Lin said:

Way up north houses are built with separate water shutoffs for exterior faucets so they can winterize and drain water from the exterior lines, or spigots with recessed valves so the water stops well within the wall.

Not just "way up north."  I live in Atlanta, GA and my house has separate water shutoffs for the exterior faucets.  [\humblebrag]

On 1/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, PilotsError said:

Can you install MS Office on an external hard drive?  A google search was vague.

IIRC you can but you have to make quite a few manual edits to the registry after the default install completes to make it work smoothly....

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

I just started a new job. The previous guy they said was a great employee but recently his performance sucked. He left behind a huge mess that I have to fix.

And I think I know the cause.

They cleaned most of his personal shit from the office but not all of it. Left in my desk is a giant, and I mean giant, tin of jelly candies infused with cannabis. Each tiny piece has 90mg of THC (according to the label) which means nothing to me.

What kind of dumb mother fucker takes edibles at work. Last time I tried an edible i was at UT and it fucked me up.

What do I do with the jellies?