Dave Matthews Band

Don Johnson

Never bought any of his stuff, and I know there are more than a few haters. But I had his version of Gravedigger in my head so just learned it and enjoy it more than expected. I might investigate more, so, what would be the best collection of DMB music?

That’s the hardest question to answer.

I’d start with live at Central Park, live at red rocks, then the gazillion live traxx albums. Just use a Spotify sub.

There’s Dave before he learned how to sing (early 90s), tracks with (sax)LeRoi, tracks with Jeff after LeRoi died, tracks with Boyd (fiddle), tracks after Boyd, tracks with various keyboardists before Buddy Strong, tracks after Buddy joined full time.

And many of the best songs have never been studio released. Example - Break Free, which is one of my favorite songs of all time, got “released” in studio format today. I’m pretty sure a studio version of “Granny” has never been released either.

Every version of every song sounds different, and that’s the hook.

The easiest thing is to turn to SiriusXM channel 30 DMB radio.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

That’s the hardest question to answer.

I’d start with live at Central Park, live at red rocks, then the gazillion live traxx albums. Just use a Spotify sub.

There’s Dave before he learned how to sing (early 90s), tracks with (sax)LeRoi, tracks with Jeff after LeRoi died, tracks with Boyd (fiddle), tracks after Boyd, tracks with various keyboardists before Buddy Strong, tracks after Buddy joined full time.

And many of the best songs have never been studio released. Example - Break Free, which is one of my favorite songs of all time, got “released” in studio format today. I’m pretty sure a studio version of “Granny” has never been released either.

Every version of every song sounds different, and that’s the hook.

The easiest thing is to turn to SiriusXM channel 30 DMB radio.

Thank you, Bear, for what may have been obvious, just not for me.  I have 12000 songs from my old CD days.  I listen to Spotify lists that my daughter makes for me.  But I haven’t been a big user otherwise.  This is a perfect strategy.

That Gravedigger version was from live show I’d seen a video, just him and Boyd, just single note draw over each chord DM played.  

Thank you, Bear, for what may have been obvious, just not for me.  I have 12000 songs from my old CD days.  I listen to Spotify lists that my daughter makes for me.  But I haven’t been a big user otherwise.  This is a perfect strategy.
That Gravedigger version was from live show I’d seen a video, just him and Boyd, just single note draw over each chord DM played.  

Gravedigger is one of my favorites, and though I’m not chasing any particular songs this weekend I’d love to hear it. Ok I guess I’m also chasing Rooftop and Grace is Gone.

Since I read your post earlier I’ve been humming to myself “Gravedigger, when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain”

We just had dinner at Whiskey Cake with my son’s in laws and I explained how I met his mother at my first DMB show, July 31 1995. Time is a flat circle and how they ended up with this particular son in law.

Son’s FIL is a minister, so I left out the part about how when I met her we shared a J.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

Never bought any of his stuff, and I know there are more than a few haters. But I had his version of Gravedigger in my head so just learned it and enjoy it more than expected. I might investigate more, so, what would be the best collection of DMB music?

when i was trying to get laid in college, "before these crowded streets" was a trusty companion.  it just also happens to be a masterclass drumming album.

but if i had to take one album from their catalog to be part of an all time island selection, it would have to be live at red rocks.  i listened to ever loving shit out of that album from 96-98.

• Like 1

man, i haven't been to a dmb show since probably 2002 or 2003 but thinking about red rocks had me looking through live shows on youtube...it looks like he has really embraced having some stud musicians come in and do features.  gary clark jr. on watchtower and and derek trucks on lie in our graves below are both real nice.

• Like 1

I was at Dallas show and thought it was good. Fiance' and I are going to the Orange Beach show in July too. I just got introduced to Dave about 2 years ago and didn't know much outside of what I had heard on mainstream radio, but man they are fun to watch. Fiance' as seen been to 30+ shows and said he pulled out a few rare ones Saturday. 

• Like 1