Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

• 1 year later...

Only 1 dead, no story. Forget about the killer tornado last week. It's  only Iowa. 

Shooting Outside Iowa School Leaves 1 Teen Dead and 2 Critically Wounded

Potential suspects were in custody after the shooting at East High School in Des Moines, the authorities said.

• Rage+1 1

• 10 months later...

Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Solutions has done some research and found two policies that have proven to reduce the number of these events and also the number of deaths associated with them.

One was a requirement that a gun purchaser go through a licensing process. "A licensing process requires someone to, you know, directly apply and engage with law enforcement, sometimes there's safety training and other requirements," says Webster.

Another approach that seemed to reduce deaths from mass shootings was state bans on buying large-capacity magazines or ammunition-feeding devices for semi-automatic weapons.

An additional common refrain after a mass shooting, he says, is a call for policies that make it easier for people to carry guns so they can defend themselves. "Well, guess what, the data do not bear that out at all," says Webster. "If anything, it shows higher rates of fatal mass shootings in response to weaker regulations for concealed carry by civilians."

And while school systems might try to respond to the threat of mass shootings by having police officers on site or having students go through drills, "as far as I know, there's not strong research about any of those things," says Hemenway.

Keeping guns away from young people, whether through safe storage of firearms in a home or age restrictions on purchasing, would be expected to have a protective effect, says Webster, based on data showing that "the peak ages for violent offending with firearms is roughly 18 to 21."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Solutions has done some research and found two policies that have proven to reduce the number of these events and also the number of deaths associated with them.

Wouldn't it be great if Wayne LaPierre left this world as the victim of a mass shooting?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Apparently a very close call in an Omaha Target today. https://www.1011now.com/2023/01/31/police-responding-west-omaha-target-store/ Suspect got shot before he could do much or any harm today. Police statement was that a man in his 30's with an AR-15 and plenty of ammo was the suspect. 

The last time I was at HEB Hancock I was thinking that it's going to happen at an HEB or something similar in Austin at some point.  It's pathetic I have to think about that.

53 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The last time I was at HEB Hancock I was thinking that it's going to happen at an HEB or something similar in Austin at some point.  It's pathetic I have to think about that.

I try to get the elliptical closest to the back exit at the gym. It’s about the only place in Texas someone can be sure nobody else has a gun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What's truly hilarious about this is that the gun nuts will defend this position to the death, and then the next time a bunch of kids are murdered they will show up here and say things like "all we're saying is that we need reasonable gun restrictions, but all you guys want to do is ban all guns. why cant we come together on this?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

5th circuit just struck down a law prohibiting persons with domestic violence restraining orders from possessing firearms. Just as the founding fathers wanted it. Our resident gun nuts rejoice.

Domestic violence wasnt against the law back then. Now if you murdered your wife, and didnt have a good reason, then you’d serve some time on the prison ship. Then after you served your sentence, you’d be obligated to serve in the militia*, where you’d have the right to bear arms to protect your community from natives, factions, and foreign invaders.

* provided you were still fit after losing your teeth to scurvy or rickets or barrel fever

The goal of Second Amendment theory has gone far beyond merely protecting the "right to own a gun." Referencing the Founders is a smoke screen. The real goals are to effect a terrified society, with random gun violence everywhere and mass shootings galore.

In the name of saving "freedom" and promoting a Christian America, the AR-15/Second Amendment cults will proudly turn their guns on the rest of us to impose their dreams of a fully-armed fascist, theocratic regime -- as supposedly "prophesied" in the sacred scrolls (aka Bible).

Democrats, Corporate America, and the mainstream media will never stand up to religion and the sacred scrolls. NEVER. Violence and religion go hand-in-hand, as history has clearly shown. All this only empowers the gun cults.

Edited by BevoAbyss

There was some comic-commentator years ago who said Congressmen should be like NASCAR drivers and have to wear their sponsor logos all over their suits on TV so we could see which corporate interests have bought and paid for them.  I thought it was a lazy bit but I remembered it for years for some reason.  And now, it's come to real life.  

I could make immamac have a record off-season Saturday in traffic today by simply posting in the DT forum that "No CR...but some members of Congress are wearing AssaultRifle15, or AR-15's lapel pins on their suits on the floor of the House this week..."

And within minutes, there'd be 10,000 views and 100 replies of, "It doesn't stand for Assault Rifle, it's ArmaLite-15, the manufacturer!  If you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't be discussing gun laws or safety!  Take it to the CR!"  

On 2/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, Foosters said:

What's truly hilarious about this is that the gun nuts will defend this position to the death, and then the next time a bunch of kids are murdered they will show up here and say things like "all we're saying is that we need reasonable gun restrictions, but all you guys want to do is ban all guns. why cant we come together on this?"

No, they won't.  They will say now is not the time to talk about mass shooting after a mass shooting.  This happens so often now that mass shootings are no longer major news events that get weeks of coverage.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

No, they won't.  They will say now is not the time to talk about mass shooting after a mass shooting.  This happens so often now that mass shootings are no longer major news events that get weeks of coverage.   

It's a solid strategy.  We've now had (checks wiki) 55 mass shootings in the first 32 days of 2023.  I was no math major, but my ballpark estimate says that amounts to 1.71875 mass shootings per day.  It's a stone cold lock -- we will never be able to talk about mass shootings because 1.71875 mass shootings are happening every day.  It's science!  Er, math!  Whatever

• 1 month later...

Hey. Do we file this in under doing something?  They’re training kids to stop their friends from bleeding out. 

Leander ISD: Through recent legislation (HB 496), the district is required to offer annual bleeding control training to students in Grades 7-12. LISD will hold a voluntary training opportunity for a maximum of 100 students at each LISD feeder pattern in March and April. To view the schedule and register, read more here: rmd.me/bwpIoxfESmx

//

El Proyecto de Ley 496 de la Cámara exige que los distritos escolares ofrezcan capacitación anual sobre el control de hemorragias a los estudiantes en los grados 7-12. el distrito llevará a cabo oportunidades de capacitación voluntaria para un máximo de 100... rmd.me/U3CjcpoA8Dz

• Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The entire talk of "Back the Blue" while also wanting unfettered gun access will never make sense to me.

Also, there were some crime scene images -- including the gun -- that I had not seen before.

19 kids and two teachers and it could happen again today. Just sickening.

Interesting you say that because it did happen again today at Arlington Lamar High School. Two reported injured at this point and the suspect is in custody.

Guess we'll see if anybody dies in this one.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/lamar-high-school-shooting-lockdown/287-149c42e5-01e3-44c7-8b34-f950a73cba8d?fbclid=IwAR1lDsJdhRU5tMpzoKEbHWv0U3hMjc_X1z6YJj6HY7D8ZzffrXIU32xbHEg#lfgvf7yee2bfg3wrttv

ARLINGTON, Texas — Arlington ISD officials and local police say Lamar High School is currently on lockdown due to a shooting that happened Monday morning.

Police tell WFAA that they received multiple calls at 6:55 a.m. about shots fired on campus, outside of the school building.

Two students have been reported injured and are receiving medical care, according to the district. Authorities do not have information about their conditions at this time.

Arlington ISD and police say the scene is secure and that the suspected shooter is in custody. Police say they do not believe the suspect ever entered the school.

Officials ask that students, parents and community members avoid the area while the investigation continues. Due to the lockdown, no one will be allowed onto campus.

They say they do not believe there is an active threat to the public. They're keeping the scene clear for authorities to investigate.

Upon the lockdown being cleared, officials say all students and staff inside the building will be sent home for the rest of the day.

This is the first day back to class at Arlington ISD following its spring break last week.

One Twitter user near the campus posted video of police activity at the school.

This story is developing and will be updated when more information is available.

• Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Officers responding to the Uvalde shooting were "afraid to immediately engage the gunman because he was using an AR-15."

Would the police use this to:

a) make a case for some gun control where it is made more difficult for people to acquire rapid cycling arms with high velocity cartridges for their own safety as well as the safety of the public 

or

2) make a case that all officers need to have equal or better firepower available to them by arming all cops with ar15 or similar weapons, at the definite cost of public safety  

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

a) make a case for some gun control where it is made more difficult for people to acquire rapid cycling arms with high velocity cartridges for their own safety as well as the safety of the public 

or

2) make a case that all officers need to have equal or better firepower available to them by arming all cops with ar15 or similar weapons, at the definite cost of public safety  

you-know.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Interesting you say that because it did happen again today at Arlington Lamar High School. Two reported injured at this point and the suspect is in custody.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/lamar-high-school-shooting-lockdown/287-149c42e5-01e3-44c7-8b34-f950a73cba8d?fbclid=IwAR1lDsJdhRU5tMpzoKEbHWv0U3hMjc_X1z6YJj6HY7D8ZzffrXIU32xbHEg#lfgvf7yee2bfg3wrttv

My old high school......Go Vikes!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

or

Pretty much all of the cops that responded to the Uvalde shooter had ARs. 

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, they're armed with ARs, and they're scared of ARs, and this somehow doesn't bolster the "no need for ARs" argument?

Not hoping for rational thought here, just scatter-shooting.  So to speak.

Those ARs are needed to fight tyranny. Haven't you seen Ukraine? 

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

• Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Welp, to follow this up -- one student shot and killed, another injured.