Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

A violent, militarized society, armed to the teeth, living in daily fear and existential dread — that's the MAGA-GQP goal.

There's a name for it from science-fiction: ultraviolence. Burgess and Kubrick warned us in A Clockwork Orange“Ultraviolence” is the senseless, excessive, and wholly unjustified violence that terrorizes a neighborhood, a city, a society, a nation. It terrorizes all ages and demographic groups. Schools, night clubs, movie theaters, military bases, college campuses, grocery stores, fast food joints, and many other locations — all subject to senseless, random, bloody mass shootings. That's a society more likely submit to fascists and religious fanatics.

Ultraviolence. That's the MAGA-GQP plan for America. It's right before our eyes.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Can’t help but feel anything other than sadness and hopelessness every time. The onion article once again will read true. How are so many Americans okay with this? Are we not tired yet?

Same. This is the time of year when the school shooting start ramping up. Kids and faculty are targets and so we just watch and cry and get angry and talk about it some more until the next one. Met plenty of family members of true crime victims and the loss is so profound. You might as well shoot them along with their loved one. Some never recover. It’s horrific. My heart just aches. 9 year olds. Damnit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Cool cool very cool

I suppose it's not worth trying to explain to EmptyG that if this individual was receiving medical treatment, it was almost certainly reducing testosterone levels.  

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

that's not his POV. His actual POV is that he can support red flag laws provided that they meet an evidentiary threshold that is higher than what's required for a murder conviction. @fattyflattie I want to be fair here, so feel free to clarify. 

This isn't a call out. I just have every expectation that this will wind up being another potential red flag situation. 

Eh, not sure that’s completely accurate.  But I tend to lean towards a higher level of burden than many (most) here, for sure.  I don’t completely disregard the idea, though, like many do. I used to object to the first iterations of the idea.  It’s clear we are going to have to do something, but I fear that’s only going to push us further into our respective corners.  

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m sure our resident aggy wannabes believe:

All trans=mentally ill

It’s not the guns. It’s the godless queers.

And they will embrace this kind of silliness without realizing that anybody who shoots another person to death has something wrong with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I'm sure it's been discussed but the shooter apparently had another target (school, I presume) in mind but shifted to the school she attacked because the first one's security was tighter.

What should one conclude from this?

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Eh, not sure that’s completely accurate.  But I tend to lean towards a higher level of burden than many (most) here, for sure.  I don’t completely disregard the idea, though, like many do. I used to object to the first iterations of the idea.  It’s clear we are going to have to do something, but I fear that’s only going to push us further into our respective corners.  

Can you just go ahead and tell us how many dead kids it takes before you move from "not completely disregarding" to actually voting for a candidate that would support any red flag law? I'm really only asking to save your notifications. I'll keep track for the forum so you don't get pinged until 20, 50, 100, whatever it takes kids are killed in school.

• Hook 'Em 6

Yes, now it's the transgender people that are the real problem. Not the guns that are readily available and easily accessible. I always chuckle at the "mental illness" angle in any of these. I mean we have such a great grasp on mental illness in this country where we've historically underfunded social services to where you have to pay a fuckload privately to get anyone decent to help you. And that's if they even have availability to help you. But let's tackle that vast issue way before even sensible gun legislation. Oh that's right, it isn't about tackling anything. It's propping up other reasons to mask for the larger problem that some don't want to ever address. Again, it's not their children getting slaughtered. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a gun owner nor a hunter.  I totally respect people that choose to hunt or buy guns (Just doesn’t interest me) but can someone tell me the purpose for ownership of “assault type weapons” and why this should be allowed?  I mean, do people use these to hunt deer or ducks or something?  Like I said, not a gun owner so I really don’t understand the need for these type of weapons and before someone says “2nd amendment” allows them, just remember that you can’t go buy a tank or bazooka or rocket launcher or certain weapons that are banned from private use.  Not saying banning those weapons would solve the issue but it sure couldn’t hurt and if it saves one life going forward in this country then it is totally worth the ban since selfishly, that one life could be my child’s life.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a gun owner nor a hunter.  I totally respect people that choose to hunt or buy guns (Just doesn’t interest me) but can someone tell me the purpose for ownership of “assault type weapons” and why this should be allowed?  I mean, do people use these to hunt deer or ducks or something?  Like I said, not a gun owner so I really don’t understand the need for these type of weapons and before someone says “2nd amendment” allows them, just remember that you can’t go buy a tank or bazooka or rocket launcher or certain weapons that are banned from private use.  Not saying banning those weapons would solve the issue but it sure couldn’t hurt and if it saves one life going forward in this country then it is totally worth the ban since selfishly, that one life could be my child’s life.  

guns = dick extensions for the insecure. the longer the better, obvs

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

For the most part it’s a lighter recoil rapid fire gun that is easy to shoot ( first red flag) and has ammo that’s both easy to buy and can be loaded for up to 30 shots at a time (second red flag) for easy rapid shooting. Whether that rapid shooting is for fun or select applications for hunting like hogs or deer the main thing still is that it’s easy to buy one and shoot one. Most people not experienced with a shotgun for example may not be able to pick one up with no experience and fire multiple shots, but with a sport rifle like an AR-15 that may be easier than another type of rifle or a shotgun. End of the day it’s become a wildly available firearm that is known for its lethality so it’s the go to these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hold your shock but some people are blaming this on the killer being woke, and enabled by wokeness. 

Ya know, part of me thinks we should lean into this. How fast would the GOP be calling for gun contol if those woke lefties are gunning down Christians? 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Ya know, part of me thinks we should lean into this. How fast would the GOP be calling for gun contol if those woke lefties are gunning down Christians? 

You're still operating under the assumption that catching them in an ideological inconsistency still matters. They're just as likely to pass laws banning gun ownership by LGBTQ individuals. 

• Hook 'Em 6

45 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Was this a biological female dressed like a man or a biological male dressed as a woman? I honestly have no idea and nobody in the media is making it clear. 

It was a weapon of mass destruction identifying as the cause de jour.   The common theme being the weapon, not the motive.  Rinse, repeat, more dead people.  

One of those girls was someone well known in HP that moved to Nashville. 9 yo. Jesus Christ it is pathetic we cannot protect our children. 

Well, it’s not like we don’t have some ideas to try out. And you know why we can give those ideas a try. But you will likely blame it on something else. Anything else.
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Can you just go ahead and tell us how many dead kids it takes before you move from "not completely disregarding" to actually voting for a candidate that would support any red flag law? I'm really only asking to save your notifications. I'll keep track for the forum so you don't get pinged until 20, 50, 100, whatever it takes kids are killed in school.

Probably something like this:

Chateauwood.jpg

From the Third Battle of Ypres.  The Third Battle.

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The system is working EXACTLY as y’all have repeatedly demanded by your votes. Your reliable, unwavering votes. This is 100% the system of YOUR creation and design, working perfectly as designed. You want easy, unfettered access to weapons that weren’t even imaginable when the 2nd Amendment was drafted. You do not stray, ever, even a little bit, from voting for leadership that has sworn a blood oath to protect this status quo at all costs.
You have gotten exactly what you asked for. Own it. Revel in it. You have WON. The lake of 9 yr old blood, pooled on the floor of an elementary school, is your trophy. You should go take selfies with it - to the victor go the spoils!

Also, there’s this. Guns are the leading cause of death for children in this country. But what are YOUR leaders’ priorities to “PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?!?!?” This…

(Although he got the sculptor wrong…the point stands)

What the fuck are you talking about?

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

See here’s the thing about our respective corners - I think you and I are fundamentally in the same corner. Me, you, @Brisketexan are all gun guys. 
You don’t think an “assault weapons” ban as such would do any good and neither do I (brisket may disagree on that one, that’s fine). We agree that the current regime on suppressors and braces is stupid. We also agree in theory that mentally ill people, wife beaters and felons shouldn’t be able to buy guns. 
Where we disagree is that I basically trust the process to adjudicate who is mentally ill, a wife beater or felon. You (I think, please correct me if needed) do not, and think removal of weapons or denial of access should have some kind of higher objective standard. Is that right?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, it’s not like we don’t have some ideas to try out. And you know why we can give those ideas a try. But you will likely blame it on something else. Anything else.

Nah. Gun laws in this country are totally ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

A violent, militarized society, armed to the teeth, living in daily fear and existential dread — that's the MAGA-GQP goal.

There's a name for it from science-fiction: ultraviolence. Burgess and Kubrick warned us in A Clockwork Orange“Ultraviolence” is the senseless, excessive, and wholly unjustified violence that terrorizes a neighborhood, a city, a society, a nation. It terrorizes all ages and demographic groups. Schools, night clubs, movie theaters, military bases, college campuses, grocery stores, fast food joints, and many other locations — all subject to senseless, random, bloody mass shootings. That's a society more likely submit to fascists and religious fanatics.

Ultraviolence. That's the MAGA-GQP plan for America. It's right before our eyes.

spacer.png

Excellent reference, my friend. I was just discussing the movie the other night and didn't reach this comparison. Compliments.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2