Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

I am so sick and tired of this bullshit. It feels pretty helpless because the GOP will fight to prevent gun regulation at all costs, and a large percentage of our country will vote R purely on principle, or because of some other topic like abortion or taxes, regardless of how they feel about actual guns.

My guess is that only a very small minority of Republican voters actually care about being able to buy an AR-15, but that isn’t a main issue for most voters, and it all comes as a GOP package deal. There is no number of dead children that will change their minds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No changes. Because I live in Texas. Where I’m outvoted by your friends.

This is the issue. And I’m not deterred by going against “my friends”. I do plenty, and knowing them, they’re more diverse in their opinions than most might think. 

What can be done at a federal level?

Just now, wild_turkey said:

I am so sick and tired of this bullshit. It feels pretty helpless because the GOP will fight to prevent gun regulation at all costs, and a large percentage of our country will vote R purely on principle, or because of some other topic like abortion or taxes, regardless of how they feel about actual guns. My guess is that only a very small minority of Republican voters actually care about being able to buy an AR-15, but that isn’t a main issue for most voters, and it all comes as a GOP package deal. There is no number of dead children that will change their minds.

Agreed. I’d go a step further for me and most of my friends that lean this way - not only do we not ever gonna own an AR-15, but we’d be supportive of extremely restrictive legislation, and I suspect a large chunk are like me in that we’re pro choice. It is hopeless. 

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I know that pastor. His daughter is to whom I’m referring.

Yes. 

What actions have you taken to lessen child murder?  How successful have you been with your actions?  If you have ideas that can effect change, I’m all ears. 

I can't speak for Brisket, but as for me I have not bought any high-powered assault rifles with bump stocks.  Therefore, the children that might have been killed by somebody using those rifles are still alive.  It's hard to say how many there are, but it's more than just a few.

10 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I had to google ETBF. Which came back with European Tenpin Bowling Federation. Which I also don't think is correct....

10 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

East Texas box face. It's real and scary

10 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

east texas box face.

anthropologists have wondered about the cause for decades. some say it's hillbilly whiskey. some say it's meth. we all know it's real.

Not to derail, but if I recall, it was Johnny Manziel's mom who kind of solidified that ETBF was a thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:47 PM, Porterhouse said:

I don’t know what to tell you other than I’ve been repeating this on this board for years. I don’t vote GOP because they disgust me. I’m politically apathetic because all politicians disgust me. Particularly at the national level (both parties). I’m not asking you to believe me. Maybe just don’t start taking me to task in a thread where I knew one of the deceased and my youngest is one year older than her. 

I understand why this thread is mocking our current gun laws and I’m acutely aware of the forum I’m in. There is nowhere else to discuss this and I just wanted to express despair. I never post in mass murder threads, and so I don’t get why you’d jump on me without knowing my feeling on guns. You’re being as presumptuous as I’ve ever witnessed. 

It's hard not to take you to task when gun violence has touched (ever so lightly) your life but you still won't do anything about it.  Not even the minimum, which is vote.

Take a moment and realize most people don't look favorably on such laziness or bizarre ideology.   

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

SIAP:

I grew up ping-ponging between Houston and Nashville, and when in Nashville the area around that school and church was where I was raised. that district is gerrymandered as fuck. Translated to Texas terms,  it's like lumping in  River Oaks with Brazoria County.  Or Highland Park  with Corsicana. It is just demonstrative  of  yet another  hurdle we have in the way of sensible gun laws. That card is designed to appeal to the yokels in his distrit an not the Nashville folk.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

We should enact laws to control, not eliminate, access but I’ve come to the conclusion that some care more about their rights than dead children. Not mentioning names but there are people posting here that wouldn’t give up their rights in order to protect their own (grand)children.

I’m reminded of Jefferson quote but adjusted for them: The tree of the 2nd amendment must refreshed from time to time with the blood of children and murderers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

It's hard not to take you to task when gun violence has touched (ever so lightly) your life but you still won't do anything about it.  Not event the minimum, which is vote.

Take a moment and realize most people don't look favorably on such laziness or bizarre ideology.   

He’s made plenty clear, plenty of times, all he needs to motivate support.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

SIAP:

Ogles is also one of those Republicans like Santos and Luna who lied about his credentials. He said he was an economist and majored in international studies. Neither is true.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/businessman-economist-cop-international-sex-crimes-expert-the-stories-of-congressman-andy-ogles

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I think our society has made it too easy to forget about these events. People think about it for a couple of days, but then the next news event hits and we move on to something else.

I’d like to see some sort of campaign to keep this in the forefront of peoples’ minds. Maybe put up billboards on major commutes that just keep a running tally of dead children in 2023 as a result of school shootings, with some line about “Your child’s school could be next.” That may be perceived as callous, but I think the message needs to be visible at all times so that people will be thinking about this when they vote.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

A violent, militarized society, armed to the teeth, living in daily fear and existential dread — that's the MAGA-GQP goal.

There's a name for it from science-fiction: ultraviolence. Burgess and Kubrick warned us in A Clockwork Orange“Ultraviolence” is the senseless, excessive, and wholly unjustified violence that terrorizes a neighborhood, a city, a society, a nation. It terrorizes all ages and demographic groups. Schools, night clubs, movie theaters, military bases, college campuses, grocery stores, fast food joints, and many other locations — all subject to senseless, random, bloody mass shootings. That's a society more likely submit to fascists and religious fanatics.

Ultraviolence. That's the MAGA-GQP plan for America. It's right before our eyes.

Mass shootings (enabled by gun worship) are not the only form of ultraviolence sanctioned by MAGA-GQP. Two other notable examples of MAGA-GQP ultraviolence:

— January 6. A near perfect example.

— Anti-mask, anti-vaxx movement. This is a more subtle form of ultraviolence. After all, anti-maskers/vaxxers were happy to go into public spaces and risk unleashing the deadly Covid virus on random citizens. Thus, causing/enabling the deaths of 1.1 million Americans, still 10x the death rate of the flu. If not for vaccines, the American death toll would have been many millions higher.

The dominant pillars of MAGA-GQP philosophy are: ultraviolence—anti-science/logic—fascism/racism—nationalism—theocracy. 

(Apologies if this veered a bit off the thread topic, but it fit with previous posts).

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I think our society has made it too easy to forget about these events. People think about it for a couple of days, but then the next news event hits and we move on to something else.

I’d like to see some sort of campaign to keep this in the forefront of peoples’ minds. Maybe put up billboards on major commutes that just keep a running tally of dead children in 2023 as a result of school shootings, with some line about “Your child’s school could be next.” That may be perceived as callous, but I think the message needs to be visible at all times so that people will be thinking about this when they vote.

Maybe but I worry now that most people are entrenched in their solution to the problem, or lack of solution. Many on the right will just reinforce their opinion that every good adult should be armed 24/7.

The billboard idea is interesting but I wouldn't intentionally want to scare kids about their safety in school even if the threat is real.

Mass shootings (enabled by gun worship) are not the only form of ultraviolence sanctioned by MAGA-GQP. Two other notable examples of MAGA-GQP ultraviolence:
— January 6. A near perfect example.
— Anti-mask, anti-vaxx movement. This is a more subtle form of ultraviolence. After all, anti-maskers/vaxxers were happy to go into public spaces and risk unleashing the deadly Covid virus on random citizens. Thus, causing/enabling the deaths of 1.1 million Americans, still 10x the death rate of the flu. If not for vaccines, the American death toll would have been many millions higher.
The dominant pillars of MAGA-GQP philosophy are: ultraviolence—anti-science/logic—fascism/racism—nationalism—theocracy. 
(Apologies if this veered a bit off the thread topic, but it fit with previous posts).

I can’t phantom how even the most backwoods redneck can not see this shit.

Racism runs fucking deep…

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe but I worry now that most people are entrenched in their solution to the problem, or lack of solution. Many on the right will just reinforce their opinion that every good adult should be armed 24/7.

The billboard idea is interesting but I wouldn't intentionally want to scare kids about their safety in school even if the threat is real.

I do think there's a small chance to shift public opinion if one of these parents one day decides to be a modern day Mamie Till and show the world, unedited, what these guns are doing to these kids... but that's not something that I necessarily want to witness nor would wish it upon anyone to have to make that choice.

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

You may like this graffiti/street artist. His latest post on Instagram has a billboard he did. There was another guy that did a lot of this with him, but he passed away. However, take a look through his feed. Quite a lot of political activism or attempts to bring attention to these societal issues.

https://instagram.com/thisisindecline?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

His illegal billboard next to a pro-life billboard (he added the ironic line).

a6f9efa430bbd60a9784fc027677cef5.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not to be dark on an already exceptionally dark thread, but you already know the answer to this. To him and those like him, it would take just one more dead kid: theirs. Until it affects them personally, they will never, ever care enough.

even then, they wouldn't care. One of the Uvalde dad's of a murdered kid gave an interview with a hat that had an AR15 as the logo. these fuckers are deranged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We should enact laws to control, not eliminate, access but I’ve come to the conclusion that some care more about their rights than dead children.

Not to add to the despair but any meaningful legislation- even at the state level - will just get stricken down until at least two conservatives die on the Supreme Court and can actually be replaced by a Dem president 

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not to be dark on an already exceptionally dark thread, but you already know the answer to this. To him and those like him, it would take just one more dead kid: theirs. Until it affects them personally, they will never, ever care enough.

Was going to tweet something similar but then realized that it wouldn't make one bit of difference to them.  Evil is evil. 

Officer Rex Engelbert seems to be exactly what you want a police officer to be. What a fucking bad-ass. Calm, assertive, seemingly clear thinking in an enormously stressful situation.

Maybe this story will be the one to drive one of the uvalde cops to take the honorable way out and eat a bullet.  

That 35% of adults in this country think somebody would save up, buy the weapons and ammo, obtain floor plans, game out the logistics, and travel to the school all under a veil of secrecy, and get there and say to themselves, “oh the door is locked, guess I’ll just leave…hope sees me putting all this gear back in my trunk.  

it’s literally impossible some of you are this fucking stupid.  

I almost miss when the knee jerk initial reactions were Chicago, mental health, and lectures on what AR stands for.  Now your first fucking question outta the gate is “well what was the door situation at that school?”   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Officer Rex Engelbert seems to be exactly what you want a police officer to be. What a fucking bad-ass. Calm, assertive, seemingly clear thinking in an enormously stressful situation.

And, he ran towards danger.  What a concept -- do what you signed up to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, kudos on Nashville PD for releasing the footage. Hopefully seeing some of these shooters slumped down after falling awkwardly from being killed will make the idea less appealing to their minds. I also couldn't help but notice a big blurred spot on the second officer's camera as they were running through the hall that was obviously a child wearing bright pink.

Good god, do something about this shit. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

My girls are 8 and 5 and are at the same school in the Cy-Fair district. Every time I go up to the school I have to be buzzed in, which gives me access to the front office. However, the exterior and interior doors are glass and the rest of the school is open concept. My youngest’s classroom is the first one passed the doors. This shit scares the shit out of me. Despite the raw gun violence statistics, they would be safer in a school in Brazil (if their gun violence statistics have to be explained to you like a 5 year old, then you should NOT own a gun, dipshit).

This is insanity.

• Hook 'Em 4