Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My girls are 8 and 5 and are at the same school in the Cy-Fair district. Every time I go up to the school I have to be buzzed in, which gives me access to the front office. However, the exterior and interior doors are glass and the rest of the school is open concept. My youngest’s classroom is the first one passed the doors. This shit scares the shit out of me. Despite the raw gun violence statistics, they would be safer in a school in Brazil (if their gun violence statistics have to be explained to you like a 5 year old, then you should NOT own a gun, dipshit).

This is insanity.

Yea but think about how much safer and mentally healthy they would be if we just turned the school into a prison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Wild to have Republicans spend years focusing on fucking DOORS as the key way to stop this shit, and then see the shooter instantly gain entrance by shooting through the closed glass door.  Galaxy brain argument.

Doors were always a red herring.   The idea of limited entry points would create a fire and trample hazard.   You can always look at the bills they put forth and passed to fund a redesign of American schools as evidence of their commitment to this absurd distraction.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Maybe this story will be the one to drive one of the uvalde cops to take the honorable way out and eat a bullet.  

That 35% of adults in this country think somebody would save up, buy the weapons and ammo, obtain floor plans, game out the logistics, and travel to the school all under a veil of secrecy, and get there and say to themselves, “oh the door is locked, guess I’ll just leave…hope sees me putting all this gear back in my trunk.  

it’s literally impossible some of you are this fucking stupid.  

I almost miss when the knee jerk initial reactions were Chicago, mental health, and lectures on what AR stands for.  Now your first fucking question outta the gate is “well what was the door situation at that school?”   

It's Idiot World, Jake.

I haven't caught up on the latest reports, but last I heard this person was transgender. That will become the news. 

The news isn't that it was a woman or a transgender. The news is that it wasn't a white man. 

The gun puppets raising the issue of mental health would be heading toward possibly good policies (I'm not sure there are any at this point, at least curative policies) if they used "and" rather than "instead."

The problem is mental health and/instead of proliferating availability of military grade weapons.

The gun puppets in office care more about money and power than innocent lives. The gun nuts walking all around us care more about their fragile masculinity and their place in America's perverse mythology than real death and despair.

We canoe in a vast toilet where the water begins to swirl. Some canoers celebrate the thrill of white water. Others see the hole developing in the water.

Good luck to us all.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Exactly. Which is one of the “solutions” I see proposed by the right. It’s absurd. That isn’t a solution. Like dressing an amputation with a fucking band-aid.

Incorrect.   It is like talking about dressing an amputation with used band-aids.  It isn't a serious talking point.  It is only a distraction.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, kudos on Nashville PD for releasing the footage. Hopefully seeing some of these shooters slumped down after falling awkwardly from being killed will make the idea less appealing to their minds. I also couldn't help but notice a big blurred spot on the second officer's camera as they were running through the hall that was obviously a child wearing bright pink.

Good god, do something about this shit. 

Jesus fuck that's hard to watch. With kids ages 7, 9, and 13 at school right now this made me tear up this morning. That poor child's parents will never get to hold them or squeeze them ever again. Dropped her off and school with her bright pink outfit on and didn't realize that would be the last time they would ever see her alive. It's just too much to take. We are a broken society with horseshit leaders.

Thanks to the bravery of these officers only three children were murdered, but every child in that school is scarred for life.

Don't look away. Shove this in people's faces that trot out the "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas" line of thinking.

Edited by The Royal We
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I cannot tell you how horribly I would handle this if I were one of those parents. 

So much this. I'm definitely not some super tough guy bad ass or anything, but I lack the self control to not do something horrible to a person like this in a position of power if it was one of my kids.

I wonder if their tune changes if it's people that actually have the power to make changes start getting toe tags instead of innocent children. 

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What a terrible man. Asked by another reporter about what should be done to protect people like his child, his response is "Well, we homeschool her."

And that's just it, isn't it? We won't fix it, so we are driving people to do just that; homeschool.

Will it become statistically relevant that homeschooling will be safer than public or private schooling due to school shooting? I don't know, but you can see the stats of the rise of homeschooling (and to be fair a lot of that had to do with covid and schools shutting down) in the past 5 years.

5 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Will it become statistically relevant that homeschooling will be safer than public or private schooling due to school shooting? I don't know, but you can see the stats of the rise of homeschooling (and to be fair a lot of that had to do with covid and schools shutting down) in the past 5 years.

it will become statistically relevant that the decline in education in america continues at a horrifying pace.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Doors were always a red herring.   The idea of limited entry points would create a fire and trample hazard.   You can always look at the bills they put forth and passed to fund a redesign of American schools as evidence of their commitment to this absurd distraction.  

You mean the schools that they are actively attempting to de-fund via vouchers, etc.?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

And that's just it, isn't it? We won't fix it, so we are driving people to do just that; homeschool.

Depends, what kinda doors you working with at your house?  Me, got two steel reinforced doors from garage to house and back patio to garage.  My front door?  Basically made of paper mache, a strong breeze could break it open.  That's why I have to buzz all my guests in, they have to show ID, and then wear a temporary badge while visiting.  We also conduct active shooter drills at our home school which is weird because most kids dead by handguns accidentally shoot themselves or a sibling so it's really awkward.  and if my 3rd grader wants to go outside for a smoke between lessons, she is not allowed to just close the screen door, she has to close the glass door as well.  Oh shit, I didn't think about that as a point of breach.  Shit we have 33 windows made of................glass.  Looks like no more rebates for Texas  homeowners for solar panels, but we will get cash back for bulletproof glass.  

Doors.  Those TN kids bodies aren't cold yet, Uvalde hasn't even been a year yet......and we've managed to shift the discussion to fucking doors.  Doors.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What a terrible man. Asked by another reporter about what should be done to protect people like his child, his response is "Well, we homeschool her."

When he says "we", i presume he means his wife. I am sure his $174,000 per year salary makes that possible.

piece of shit.

"my kids don't need to be worried about being shot up in school, so you know. fuck the rest of you all."

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Wild to have Republicans spend years focusing on fucking DOORS as the key way to stop this shit, and then see the shooter instantly gain entrance by shooting through the closed glass door.  Galaxy brain argument.

And then suddenly the folks at the private prison companies realize there is a whole new market for their buildings and services. And they already have the legislators in their pockets and on speed dial. 

how long before prisons and schools are indistinguishable?

as a secondary point, even if every school was hardened to the point that people would quit trying to enter them and shoot kids, that will only redirect them to other targets. Bus stops?  Sporting events?  Churches?  Malls?  Wherever their chosen targets go. 

so change the access to the weapons, AND change the mental health treatment. (Health insurance covering mental health treatments would be a nice move)

image.thumb.png.662c185346eff333e18886c3f9131118.png
Edit: this is a the pastor of the church and his daughter when she was 4. Hallie, one of the 9-year olds that was murdered. Goddammit I cannot see straight. 

Edited by Porterhouse

"Buddy, if somebody wants to take you out and doesn't mind losing their life, there's not a heckuva lot you can do about it."

Hey pops, what if somebody wants to take 30 people out?  Is there something we can do about that?  -- Buddy (not)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

It's Idiot World, Jake.

I haven't caught up on the latest reports, but last I heard this person was transgender. That will become the news. 

The news isn't that it was a woman or a transgender. The news is that it wasn't a white man. 

The gun puppets raising the issue of mental health would be heading toward possibly good policies (I'm not sure there are any at this point, at least curative policies) if they used "and" rather than "instead."

The problem is mental health and/instead of proliferating availability of military grade weapons.

The gun puppets in office care more about money and power than innocent lives. The gun nuts walking all around us care more about their fragile masculinity and their place in America's perverse mythology than real death and despair.

We canoe in a vast toilet where the water begins to swirl. Some canoers celebrate the thrill of white water. Others see the hole developing in the water.

Good luck to us all.

I don’t think so. I don’t think the backgrounds matter to most - people are tired of this. People typically on the bad/wrong side of gun control. I’m not talking about nuts like MTG. I hope this one will be used for real change. 

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There's someone who works a couple of houses down from me who has a car with an NRA sticker and another that says, "I vote pro-gun."  I just got back from walking the dog and saw that car again and it really pissed me off, so I'm spending the afternoon making that car a "I support school shootings" sticker.

Be very careful or you’ll get shot. But people like that absolutely need to be embarrassed. The TN rep Xmas card is a goddamned classless embarrassment. 

Edited by Porterhouse

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas. 

"emotion feels good..."  Yeah, not so sure about that.  I'm pretty sure the parents who lost children aren't enjoying their emotions right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Buddy, if somebody wants to take you out and doesn't mind losing their life, there's not a heckuva lot you can do about it."

Hey pops, what if somebody wants to take 30 people out?  Is there something we can do about that?  -- Buddy (not)

Hats off to his old man for fighting and encapsulating the Japanese warfighter mentality.  We had never, and hopefully will never, face an adversary that was so categorically determined to fight to the death---no surrender, no compromise, no retreat.  They did not mind losing their life to take us out.  

So what we do about them (after the bombs)?  We disarmed their entire country.  We took guns away from people hell bent of killing.  What a concept.  

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I do think there's a small chance to shift public opinion if one of these parents one day decides to be a modern day Mamie Till and show the world, unedited, what these guns are doing to these kids... but that's not something that I necessarily want to witness nor would wish it upon anyone to have to make that choice.

They should put the images of dead children on every box of ammo, like the black lungs on cigarettes.

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

Hats off to these officers actually moving towards danger to save children, instead of cowering like their uvalde comrades.

I knew it was going to happen at the end of that video when I clicked to watch it, however the sirens and shooting were pretty jarring. I can't imagine being a child there and not knowing what was going to happen. I can't imagine how terrifying it was for those kids.

This video and the Washington Post animation should be shown on prime time on every channel, along with footage from all shootings going forward. Yeah it may be traumatic to watch, but it's way more traumatic to go though it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

My guess is that is one of the 9 year old victims with her father. Probably the one who moved from HP recently.

4 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

The pastor of the church associated with the school and his daughter, who was one of the three students killed.

Correct. She was in Dallas a month ago and got together with all her old neighborhood friends. 

39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And then suddenly the folks at the private prison companies realize there is a whole new market for their buildings and services. And they already have the legislators in their pockets and on speed dial. 

how long before prisons and schools are indistinguishable?

as a secondary point, even if every school was hardened to the point that people would quit trying to enter them and shoot kids, that will only redirect them to other targets. Bus stops?  Sporting events?  Churches?  Malls?  Wherever their chosen targets go. 

so change the access to the weapons, AND change the mental health treatment. (Health insurance covering mental health treatments would be a nice move)

I’m legitimately shocked we haven’t had a major incident at a sporting event, especially the way some of the stadiums are laid out. The south side of Nebraska’s stadium would be a great example as it funnels a huge amount of people between a road, buildings and barricades with plenty of cover for bad actors

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

The pastor of the church associated with the school and his daughter, who was one of the three students killed.

Good lord, that is so sad to see.  It's his call to make, but I hope that photo is circulated (along with the one of the kids on the bus crying) to every billboard, newspaper, and legislator in a 200 mile radius.  

And seriously, if I have to hear one more interview with a politician talking about Doors, I'm gonna fucking piss sand and shit glass.  How the fuck are grown adults saying this shit with a straight face?  You've got two assault rifles and a pistol, but oh no, that pesky masterlock made in China from aluminum foil is gonna keep you from fulfilling your murder fantasy?  I accidentally broke a Medeco Maxum doorlock once trying to get more beers, and the fucking German military uses those things to secure stuff.  NEvermind going through a window.  Or picking kids off one by one as they get off the bus and file through that single point of ingress/egress.  

Here's another fun one, our elementary school dad's club recently helped clean up storm debris and cracked limbs last month.  Like many schools in Texas, there are vast open outdoor areas within the school between classrooms where kids eat, have recess, garden, have classes, or do quiet study time in nature.  Guess what I used to penetrate my school's $2,000,000 security system of steel doors, check-in protocols, active shooter drills, fancy locks/keypads, checkpoints, and barricades and get on to the roof where I could see thousands of square feet of open education space?  

A $70 ladder from my truck.