Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I'll see what I can dig up. Was stat from a guest on morning radio show right around the time of the Hildago/whatever Mack's girls name election.  Cant recall which instances were the big publicized at the that timeframe, the old lady had already been robbed and ran over before that, can't recall which instance had them up in arms.  I want to say the # was 442 or 448 on the year. 

Well, if you're going to quote stats anecdotes, you're aware that in places with cash bail reform there's been no link shown between cash bail reform and recidivism/crime rates?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yet no one stands up to make the politicians do something.  I admit, myself included.  We should be marching on Washington DC in the millions if what you say is true.  But we don't.

yeah man I feel you. I see 80% want this, and yet nothing. Certainly there are many failings top to bottom, left to right, but it does make you wonder what needs to happen to make anything change. America is just straight up in paralysis. You can certainly say the same for the west in general, with America in pole position in that regard. 

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well of course.  While looking for your info you asked, I came across a Fox 26 vid detailing one of them.  Prosecutor asked for 500k due to record, prison time, etc, guy was given 5k, out for $500, committed 3 more armed robberies, then apprehended again.   The constitutional and statutory rules and limits you are held to, where does one get from 500k to 5k?  Or in the case we were discussing earlier, one single dollar?  A guy that cant afford even $1, would probably benefit from 3 hots and a cot. 

Judges are required to consider the assets available to the accused in deciding on bail. What the prosecution asks for isn't particularly relevant to that analysis. We long ago rejected the idea of debtor's prison. And the limitations on bail partly stem from that idea. You can't set a bail amount that cannot be met by the accused. The purpose of the bail system is not punishment, and is not to make sure the person has to stay in jail pre-trial. The purpose of the bail system is to ensure that the accused attends trial. That's it. If you need evidence of that, here is the horse's mouth:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CR/htm/CR.17.htm

Art. 17.01. DEFINITION OF "BAIL".  "Bail" is the security given by the accused that he will appear and answer before the proper court the accusation brought against him, and includes a bail bond or a personal bond.

If prosecutors want to argue that an accused should be denied bail entirely, they are free to try and make that showing. But, keep in mind, in Texas (and elsewhere) there is "a rebuttable presumption that bail, conditions of release, or both bail and conditions of release are sufficient to reasonably ensure the defendant's appearance in court as required and the safety of the community, law enforcement, and the victim of the alleged offense."

Art. 17.028. BAIL DECISION. (a) Without unnecessary delay but not later than 48 hours after a defendant is arrested, a magistrate shall order, after individualized consideration of all circumstances and of the factors required by Article 17.15(a), that the defendant be:

(1) granted personal bond with or without conditions;

(2) granted surety or cash bond with or without conditions; or

(3) denied bail in accordance with the Texas Constitution and other law.

(b) In setting bail under this article, the magistrate shall impose the least restrictive conditions, if any, and the personal bond or cash or surety bond necessary to reasonably ensure the defendant's appearance in court as required and the safety of the community, law enforcement, and the victim of the alleged offense.

(c) In each criminal case, unless specifically provided by other law, there is a rebuttable presumption that bail, conditions of release, or both bail and conditions of release are sufficient to reasonably ensure the defendant's appearance in court as required and the safety of the community, law enforcement, and the victim of the alleged offense.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This AR-15 myth is so stupid and wrong.  Most folks won't even use a .223 as a deer rifle because it doesn't have enough knock down power.

But carry on with your magical stories about how the bullets explode in the bodies of innocent victims.

I'm more than happy to have much tighter regulations on ALL semi-auto, high-velocity, high-capacity guns, not just AR-15s.  We mention AR-15s merely because it's the gun that repeatedly gets used and it causes a shit ton of damage.  You fucks that want to argue with the trauma surgeons about how easy it is to patch up a kid that has been shot with an AR-15 should get to spend some quality time cleaning up the aftermath.

In any event, the point remains - if it's designed to kill / maim as quickly as possible, it should be much harder to get.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

it is a .223 cartridge, not an AR-15 cartridge.  Yay for anybody that looks to the WaPo for an authoritative source. 

.223 definitely had enough stopping power to handle 3- 9 year olds and you want to condemn people for being hyperbolic ? bold 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It's just a bullet.  Nothing special about what gun that it comes out of.

You fucking clown. You rejected the idea that the AR-15 can actually cause that much damage. I provided a link showing otherwise.

And you're response it to say that, "no, it was the bullet, not the gun that caused the damage."

Are you serious person? 

Edit: Negged for being a troll

Edited by Foosters

21 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Is this mother fucker really in here minimizing the damage done by AR-15s to children?!?! What the ever loving fuck is wrong with you?

We've reached the "caliber of bullet" part of the discussion/deflection by the people who refuse to acknowledge or do anything about the gun violence that plagues our country. This is where these threads start to fizzle out until we have another mass shooting in a day or two.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Nobody here is advocating for criminal acts.

Well, there is some "hyperbole" about my dead children a few pages back. I got what, 60 negs today, and not a single one for the "hope" and "fingers crossed" for my children to be murdered.  

Tells you pretty much what you need to know about who your in this discussion with. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Judges are required to consider the assets available to the accused in deciding on bail. What the prosecution asks for isn't particularly relevant to that analysis. We long ago rejected the idea of debtor's prison. And the limitations on bail partly stem from that idea. You can't set a bail amount that cannot be met by the accused. The purpose of the bail system is not punishment, and is not to make sure the person has to stay in jail pre-trial. The purpose of the bail system is to ensure that the accused attends trial. That's it. If you need evidence of that, here is the horse's mouth:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CR/htm/CR.17.htm

If prosecutors want to argue that an accused should be denied bail entirely, they are free to try and make that showing. But, keep in mind, in Texas (and elsewhere) there is "a rebuttable presumption that bail, conditions of release, or both bail and conditions of release are sufficient to reasonably ensure the defendant's appearance in court as required and the safety of the community, law enforcement, and the victim of the alleged offense."

You're arguing with someone who thinks a successful deflection from his opinion (or support for politicians who hold this opinion) that the government is too incompetent to place restrictions on who can possess weapons of war, should be further entrusted to lock people  who are presumed innocent in jail in government custody before trial.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

huh. just read on the last page of two the old car argument. Torbush. 

So sad to see this paralysis on such incredibly basic issues like making sure a wacko doesn't get a semi-automatic weapon. no clue what the answer is, but certainly some honest talking points from leaders would be a start. Way to much fear base outrageous talking points from the GOP. Their rhetoric is far and away further away from the centrist meeting point than any democrat here. It would be nice if some of the regulars in these threads like @fattyflattie would speak to this point, because at the end of the day while we are failing to communicate in our own right, it is the responsibility of political leadership to create talking points that promote unity and progress. I see the both sides "I will vote for either party when/if they become closer to the center" is odd AF given this massive disparity in actual talking points from actual party leadership on very critical issues like keeping weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill. Kids are dying btw?! 

Also, but mental health is definitely part of the problem. Honestly I think the US is more mentally unstable than most western countries. Doesn't take a world traveler to figure that out. I've never understand why you just don't agree mental health is also bad - then discuss action across there and gun control at the same. But hey America and its one big marketing slogan yelling at another one over and over again. The pressures of social media and shit like twitter so incredibly devolved our ability to hold an honest, nuanced conversation about anything controversial or meaningful. Captain obvious here. Sorry kids - we still haven't figured it out :(

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, there is some "hyperbole" about my dead children a few pages back. I got what, 60 negs today, and not a single one for the "hope" and "fingers crossed" for my children to be murdered.  

Tells you pretty much what you need to know about who your in this discussion with. 

Poor Thing Are You Okay GIF by TV Land

15 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Nobody here is advocating for criminal acts.

So it's your position that the WaPo fabricated the autopsy results of actual people when this would be easily verifiable? Also the judges that I have talked to in my job who investigate these deaths also all lied about the results of these weapons? They all conspired to lie about identifying these kids by their clothing and/or DNA? Deeply and sincerely, absolutely fuck you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

You're arguing with someone who thinks a successful deflection from his opinion (or support for politicians who hold this opinion) that the government is too incompetent to place restrictions on who can possess weapons of war, should be further entrusted to lock people  who are presumed innocent in jail in government custody before trial.

@fattyflattie is frequently unreasonable or misapprehends the facts or laws. But, he has also demonstrated the ability to change his mind, albeit slowly, given enough information. He is also one of the few on that side of the political spectrum (although what that side is even more, I'm unsure of it since many, including myself, previously would have identified with it) willing to actually engage in discussion rather trolling. I believe that he sincerely holds his positions, however flawed they may be, and for the most part avoids mere trolling. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6

It's nice to see @DalTxHornFan jumping in to obfuscate on caliber, platform, etc.

Hey, asshole.  The AR-15 is essentially the US military weapon of choice for decades as a tool to efficiently maim or kill large numbers of people.  I mean, if you want to get into muzzle velocity, kinetic energy, tumble rate, dissipative characteristics, etc. then bring it the fuck on because I spent a good part of my career designing advanced weapons for DARPA, but somehow I think you're too much of a pussy to do that.  The offer stands.

Edited by jimmyjazz
speling
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

You do know an unloaded gun was brought to the junior high my kid is suppose to attend…

8 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

You do know an unloaded gun was brought to the junior high my kid is suppose to attend…

Yep. Spoke about it upthread.  Had a random dude just walking around the yard during 4th grade PE yesterday (at your previous elementary).  It’s been a week there.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I'm going to have to disagree here. 

The .44 mag I keep in my truck will do a whole hell of a lot more damage to the human body than the .223.  But I can't fire 30 rounds of .44 mag in less than 20 seconds like I can with the AR platform.  That is one of the central arguments the anti-AR crowd has, the massive amount of firepower that the AR platform represents and, if we're being honest here, is why it is the weapon of choice for these kind of tragedies.  That amount of firepower is why I own one myself.  Plus, they are a hoot to shoot.

The gun matters, and I'm all in for reasonable restrictions on who can own and posses these types of weapons because the inconvenience of me having to fill out a few forms and wait a few weeks in order for a proper background check to occur to obtain my pew pew toy pales in comparison to the continuing slaughter of school children by people who should never have been able to buy that type of weapon in the first place.    

Got damn, why is that so hard for some people to say?

Sounds way more reasonable and even-keeled than SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!1!

We got a problem. You're either part of the solution or your part of the problem.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Who wants to explain why this doesn't this happen in peer nations?

About 3 dozen shootings ago I posted the steps to becoming a gun owner in Canada. It's probably the closest comparison to us. It was met with...crickets.

I wonder if we could get the legislation passed now that shut down buying full auto Thompsons at the hardware store. I think that's when sawed off stuff/ barrel length was regulated too. 

I'm skeptical it would make it out of committee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I'm going to have to disagree here. 

The .44 mag I keep in my truck will do a whole hell of a lot more damage to the human body than the .223.  But I can't fire 30 rounds of .44 mag in less than 20 seconds like I can with the AR platform.  That is one of the central arguments the anti-AR crowd has, the massive amount of firepower that the AR platform represents and, if we're being honest here, is why it is the weapon of choice for these kind of tragedies.  That amount of firepower is why I own one myself.  Plus, they are a hoot to shoot.

The gun matters, and I'm all in for reasonable restrictions on who can own and posses these types of weapons because the inconvenience of me having to fill out a few forms and wait a few weeks in order for a proper background check to occur to obtain my pew pew toy pales in comparison to the continuing slaughter of school children by people who should never have been able to buy that type of weapon in the first place.    

Fwiw, there was a company that used to make them. They had feeding issues iirc.  .450 Bushmaster sort of made it moot.   But to your point, time to revisit the 5 round magazine for rifles?  Fine with most everyone I’ve ever discussed it with.  Their concern is always the same, what do you do with the ~100m mags floating around in circulation? 

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Damn it. I did not see that.

Apparently they couldn’t get him to leave and had to wrangle up the kids?  I don’t know the specifics, just saw it when I was proofreading an email to the principal.  

So what do you do when 2 of your kids can test into competitive privates but not the third? Fuck. 

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I think that's when sawed off stuff/ barrel length was regulated too.

Iirc, barrel length was set at 16” because the govt had recently sold a metric fuck ton of semiautomatic war weapons to the general public (30 carbine).

You mind reposting the Canadian process? 

Edited by fattyflattie

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, there was a company that used to make them. They had feeding issues iirc.  .450 Bushmaster sort of made it moot.   But to your point, time to revisit the 5 round magazine for rifles?  Fine with most everyone I’ve ever discussed it with.  Their concern is always the same, what do you do with the ~100m mags floating around in circulation? 

Keep them. You're grandfathered in. We're not trying to come and take them, dude. Seriously. Just stop selling new ones. Put in penalties for selling them privately, and have a buyback program. Make the only way to get them costly on the illegal market. You'll thwart some would be murderers with a higher cost of entry before they get started and identify many more as red flags as they stumble around trying to find their local arms dealer. 

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

reposting

This is an easier read than the gov site.

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Gun-in-Canada 

Edit: it's interesting that .25 and .32 pistols are prohibited. No 32 gun in Bad Leroy Brown's pocket. 

It would be a .380 anyway.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Keep them. You're grandfathered in. We're not trying to come and take them, dude. Seriously. Just stop selling new ones. Put in penalties for selling them privately, and have a buyback program. Make the only way to get them costly on the illegal market. You'll thwart some would be murderers with a higher cost on entry before they get started and identify many more as red flags as they stumble around trying to find their local arms dealer. 

Cool. I dgaf about things like that. Maybe a 10 rd for defense purposes or something, has to stay at home or something, tax item, I dont know.  Hunting is already limited to 5.  Easy peasy.  This is the kind of things that can incrementally be passed and no one notices or cares.  Even with the paltry showing of 14 Rs or whatever it was that passed the last benign bill. 

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

About 3 dozen shootings ago I posted the steps to becoming a gun owner in Canada. It's probably the closest comparison to us. It was met with...crickets.

I wonder if we could get the legislation passed now that shut down buying full auto Thompsons at the hardware store. I think that's when sawed off stuff/ barrel length was regulated too. 

I'm skeptical it would make it out of committee. 

I don't think it would make it TO committee.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, staboner said:

huh. just read on the last page of two the old car argument. Torbush. 

So sad to see this paralysis on such incredibly basic issues like making sure a wacko doesn't get a semi-automatic weapon. no clue what the answer is, but certainly some honest talking points from leaders would be a start. Way to much fear base outrageous talking points from the GOP. Their rhetoric is far and away further away from the centrist meeting point than any democrat here. It would be nice if some of the regulars in these threads like @fattyflattie would speak to this point, because at the end of the day while we are failing to communicate in our own right, it is the responsibility of political leadership to create talking points that promote unity and progress. I see the both sides "I will vote for either party when/if they become closer to the center" is odd AF given this massive disparity in actual talking points from actual party leadership on very critical issues like keeping weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill. Kids are dying btw?! 

Also, but mental health is definitely part of the problem. Honestly I think the US is more mentally unstable than most western countries. Doesn't take a world traveler to figure that out. I've never understand why you just don't agree mental health is also bad - then discuss action across there and gun control at the same. But hey America and its one big marketing slogan yelling at another one over and over again. The pressures of social media and shit like twitter so incredibly devolved our ability to hold an honest, nuanced conversation about anything controversial or meaningful. Captain obvious here. Sorry kids - we still haven't figured it out :(

VengefulQuestionableInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

It is pointless to debate any of the gun cult members.

The Christian family photos with everyone (dad, mom, kids) holding AR-15s tells us everything we need to know about they interpret the Second Amendment and gun rights. Those weapons will never be used to resist tyranny. The AR-15s (et al) will be used to impose tyranny. Those guns will be pointed at the rest of non-Christian society. They are freaking advertising the future right in everyone's faces.

They deeply crave an ultraviolent (see Burgess, Kubrick, A Clockwork Orange) society, with a bloodthirsty medieval mindset. When there is an army of Christians with AR-15s, all believing the unseen Sky Daddy has their back, they will be more than ready to impose ultraviolence across America and the planet—to fulfill the apocalyptic prophesies of Revelations.

History is 100% clear on that. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Cool. I dgaf about things like that. Maybe a 10 rd for defense purposes or something, has to stay at home or something, tax item, I dont know.  Hunting is already limited to 5.  Easy peasy.  This is the kind of things that can incrementally be passed and no one notices or cares.  Even with the paltry showing of 14 Rs or whatever it was that passed the last benign bill. 

We should do a little experiment.  Go over to your kindred spirits at the Texags politics board and see what they say about this proposal.  My strong suspicion is that you'll get shouted down on a 10:1 basis (probably more like 20:1).  That is the GQP base, and that's who the GQP house is subservient to.  

As cactusflinthead said:

aint-nothing-gonna-happen-nothing-happen

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

We should do a little experiment.  Go over to your kindred spirits at the Texags politics board and see what they say about this proposal.  My strong suspicion is that you'll get shouted down on a 10:1 basis (probably more like 20:1).  That is the GQP base, and that's who the GQP house is subservient to.  

As cactusflinthead said:

aint-nothing-gonna-happen-nothing-happen

Fuck. That. I’ve read that board 2-3 times total. It depresses me to see how truly far apart we are in this country.  At some point, the gap will be too wide to mend. 

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is the kind of things that can incrementally be passed and no one notices or cares.

Oh man, bravo. You are a riot today. Rifle magazine capacities getting reduced to 5 overnight, and "no one notices or cares." In today's gun culture. With today's politics. Holy shit, that was a good one.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The last 300 posts have put the blame squarely on every single R from the suburban voter to Supreme Court justices.  The entire gambit.  The blame for this murderer. Not on her, on suburban Republicans.   I’m told constantly that as an R voter, I own the Nazis and proudboys and Trumps. Turnabout is not fair play?   

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but you probably mean gamut, which means the entire range. A gambit is a kind of sacrifice, which also applies in this situation, just not for the people you mentioned.

Gamut comes from medieval music theory — gamma ut, which was the bottom note in their system. They derived their music theory from a mistranslation/misunderstanding of the Ancient Greek music theory, so the entire medieval system was essentially upside down and bore little relation to the original source materials; kind of like how our values and understanding of the 2nd amendment is upside down and has lost all touch with the context in which the amendment was conceived.

The medieval church felt they needed to assert control and uniformity, so they decided upon a set of common chants for church services and attributed them to Pope Gregory via inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They used this Gregorian Chant to suppress competing chant forms, so eventually, most of the other forms died out.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I truly hope your children remain safe. But the sad reality is it is going to take a lot of dead republican children and loved ones from mass shooters, delayed or denied obstetric care, and botched abortions for the “moderates” to wake up and do something about the ignorant, moronic maniacs who have hijacked the party. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Rage+1 1

Eugene Stoner, who died in 1997 at the age of 74, designed the AR-15 and the M-16 in the late 1950s, during the Vietnam War.

The Stoner family told NBC News that the AR-15 was intended to be used as a military weapon.

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," they said.

"He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

Stoner did not keep his invention in the house for personal protection, his family said.

Nor did the "avid sportsman [and] hunter" use the AR-15 for sport — in fact, he never actually owned one.

"After many conversations with him, we feel his intent was that he designed it as a military rifle," his family said, adding that Stoner was "focused on making the most efficient and superior rifle possible for the military".

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This AR-15 myth is so stupid and wrong.  Most folks won't even use a .223 as a deer rifle because it doesn't have enough knock down power.

But carry on with your magical stories about how the bullets explode in the bodies of innocent victims.

To what extent do you think cartridge distinctions matter to victims who’ve had their bodies ripped apart by bullets in guns?

• Like 1