Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

Cops were afraid to confront one guy with a particular firearm. Make that particular firearm illegal to own. Yesterday.

Create penalties for possession of said gun that are so strict that folks either comply, and turn them in, or they spend a few years behind bars and forever forfeit their right to own any guns.

Sure, some sick bastards will use other guns to commit unspeakable acts. Guns a swarm of cops are willing to face. Else, repeat.

OTOH, ban firearm capacity above six rounds. Same consequence strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Cops were afraid to confront one guy with a particular firearm. Make that particular firearm illegal to own. Yesterday.

Create penalties for possession of said gun that are so strict that folks either comply, and turn them in, or they spend a few years behind bars and forever forfeit their right to own any guns.

Sure, some sick bastards will use other guns to commit unspeakable acts. Guns a swarm of cops are willing to face. Else, repeat.

OTOH, ban firearm capacity above six rounds. Same consequence strategy. 

Nvm. 

Edited by fattyflattie

An image from last night's Austin FC match.
Giving a fuck about this and actually wanting to implement gun law reforms is favored by the vast majority of Texans and Americans, yet the response from our GQP leadership is a hearty "yeah, FUCK YOU!" and laughter.

7c393d7ffe5858006e4fead9ac5236ce.jpg

The minority lording its power over the majority, showing utter contempt and snide disdain for the majority, works well....right up until it doesn't.  The end-game for gun owners is not a good one.  As a gun owner, I wish our leadership wasn't dead-set on careening down this path, which is the worst of both worlds: death and suffering in the short term, and loss of the ability to own many/most/all private firearms in the long term.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Giving a fuck about this and actually wanting to implement gun law reforms is favored by the vast majority of Texans and Americans, yet the response from our GQP leadership is a hearty "yeah, FUCK YOU!" and laughter.

The minority lording its power over the majority, showing utter contempt and snide disdain for the majority, works well....right up until it doesn't.  The end-game for gun owners is not a good one.  As a gun owner, I wish our leadership wasn't dead-set on careening down this path, which is the worst of both worlds: death and suffering in the short term, and loss of the ability to own many/most/all private firearms in the long term.

I may just not be jaded yet -- or maybe in the wrong bubble -- but I think the tone is heading (very fucking slowly) in the right direction. The only issue is that hundreds more are going to die from these things before serious action is taken. For instance, "Damn right I'll take your AR-15" was considered a flub for Beto. Now we have the president actively calling for assault weapon bans. States like Michigan and Washington have enacted much tougher gun laws. And no matter how much bullshit is thrown out, people see what's happening with these shootings and know that if you don't do something about the guns, nothing changes. 

If they were to "cool off" and only happen occasionally, then I wouldn't think anything would change. People would get used to it. But the shootings are doing nothing but increase. Eventually there will be two of the random public shootings on the same day... major donors/corporations are going to speak out... or a large/influential enough group of Republicans will see the writing on the wall. Something is going to break through.

When that day will happen? No idea. Could be years. But there is arguably no other issue that's as clearly defined as right and wrong as this one. 

One thing I find interesting is the estimation that some 20M-25M Americans own a variant of the AR-15.  That's not a very large demographic.  The problem is that Republicans in general are more interested in any stance that opposes that of Democrats, so they go along with the idea of minimizing any regulation on that particular weapon, even though most don't actually own one.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I may just not be jaded yet -- or maybe in the wrong bubble -- but I think the tone is heading (very fucking slowly) in the right direction. The only issue is that hundreds more are going to die from these things before serious action is taken. For instance, "Damn right I'll take your AR-15" was considered a flub for Beto. Now we have the president actively calling for assault weapon bans. States like Michigan and Washington have enacted much tougher gun laws. And no matter how much bullshit is thrown out, people see what's happening with these shootings and know that if you don't do something about the guns, nothing changes. 

If they were to "cool off" and only happen occasionally, then I wouldn't think anything would change. People would get used to it. But the shootings are doing nothing but increase. Eventually there will be two of the random public shootings on the same day... major donors/corporations are going to speak out... or a large/influential enough group of Republicans will see the writing on the wall. Something is going to break through.

When that day will happen? No idea. Could be years. But there is arguably no other issue that's as clearly defined as right and wrong as this one. 

Its all moot unless and until you pack SCOTUS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm sure my idea wouldn't be very popular, but:

1. Make illegal (will never happen) to sell new semi-automatic firearms other than for legitimate military and police purposes.

2. Offer a buyback program that is actually worth it - say 4x value at a date at some point before the law is proposed. I would certainly sell my $400 pistol for $1,600.

No "coming after your guns" other than what is already in place. A good number of people will take advantage of the buy back and the remaining will be much more careful about locking up their suddenly much more valuable firearms. 

Short-term you won't notice much of a difference in gun deaths, but over the long-term (40-50 years), you will see a decrease in such deaths. 

I'm sure there a lot of holes in this idea (other than it will never happen), but I think it would work.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Anwar Namtut said:

I'm sure my idea wouldn't be very popular, but:

1. Make illegal (will never happen) to sell new semi-automatic firearms other than for legitimate military and police purposes.

2. Offer a buyback program that is actually worth it - say 4x value at a date at some point before the law is proposed. I would certainly sell my $400 pistol for $1,600.

No "coming after your guns" other than what is already in place. A good number of people will take advantage of the buy back and the remaining will be much more careful about locking up their suddenly much more valuable firearms. 

Short-term you won't notice much of a difference in gun deaths, but over the long-term (40-50 years), you will see a decrease in such deaths. 

I'm sure there a lot of holes in this idea (other than it will never happen), but I think it would work.

better than doing absolutely nothing. I know plenty of people who would gladly sell or even give up their AR if compelled. It's not that important to them. It's a toy and a clearly dangerous one. I'd be willing to bet many who are starting to have kids among them willingly part with those items anyway. they're about to learn how expensive a baby really is. I have to think a good portion of the people who own those weapons would sell them back, especially for a way over market value. and interesting take on the now inflated value for those that decide to keep theirs. it's the clingers you gotta worry about. and they would be fewer and more prominent - therefore easier to catch before and event - under a program like that. Add in mandatory registration of said weapons after the buyback period and we might start getting somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

The "assault rifle ban" generated a modest decrease in gun deaths.  That was without any buyback.  Re-enact the ban, implement an incentive-laced buyback as you suggested, and there would be a noticeable effect.

The problem is, those who are having their pockets lined by the NRA couldn't give two shits about innocent people dying.  Therefore, it ain't happening, because money and power and fuck the libtards.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

The fastest way to force progress would be a campaign of black men legally openly carrying AR-15s or similar weapons near and around right wing evangelical churches on Sunday mornings. 

But of course, from what I understand, black men don't like dying so that's not really feasible. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So a pimple face with an AR-15 made hundreds of cops with their own AR-15s cry and puke.  And took off the faces and fingers of 19 small children.  But we can’t talk about the access to the weapon because of wild hogs?  I have they about right?

Yea. The only reasons these degenerates have for crying and hurling are cowardice and shame.

You. Stood. By.

Fuck all of them. Maybe I wouldn't have had the nerve to go into that classroom. Not doing so would make the rest of my life unbearable.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe I wouldn't have had the nerve to go into that classroom. Not doing so would make the rest of my life unbearable.

. . . and you're not a cop.  If you don't have a sense of your ability to handle intense, stressful situations, perhaps being riddled with fear yourself, then don't take the fucking job.  

I don't mind them crying and puking.  What I mind is the likelihood that they're crying and puking about their own cowardice.

• Hook 'Em 3

You don't have to be cop if you have a gun in your hand and somebody on the other side of a door is mercilessly slaughtering elementary school children and their teachers to know what you must do. Hell, just opening the door and firing blindly and shoulder height would at least rattle the guy and maybe offer a moment and avenue for escape.

Any person of substance would know what he or she must do. Abstractly, I would rather die than live with that kind of shame. At least my name would remain intact.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and you're not a cop.  If you don't have a sense of your ability to handle intense, stressful situations, perhaps being riddled with fear yourself, then don't take the fucking job.  

I don't mind them crying and puking.  What I mind is the likelihood that they're crying and puking about their own cowardice.

Yeah; this is a good point about that video clip.   Er, video magazine 

many of them weren’t physically exasperated with vomit and tears because they were scared.  Their bodies were doing they  to relieve their minds of the horrors to come.  Or they were just really torn up about all the feral hogs in south Texas.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You know they weren't.

If any of them were ashamed of the cowardice they displayed that day, they would've killed themselves by now.

• Hook 'Em 3

The fastest way to force progress would be a campaign of black men legally openly carrying AR-15s or similar weapons near and around right wing evangelical churches on Sunday mornings. 
But of course, from what I understand, black men don't like dying so that's not really feasible. 

That’s what the Black Panthers did in California when Reagan was governor.

And he supported gun control laws because of it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, YGIFS said:

So a pimple face with an AR-15 made hundreds of cops with their own AR-15s cry and puke.  And took off the faces and fingers of 19 small children.  But we can’t talk about the access to the weapon because of wild hogs?  I have they about right?

shocking newsflash...ranchers aren't purchasing AR15's for maintaining their hog population.  They now treat them like exotics and organize hunts for dudes who have AR15's.  Hogs reproduce, dudes buy more AR15's, ranchers sell more hunts.  The circle of life is complete.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

“The co-worker told police that Olalde said “he had killed his family because they were cannibals, and they were going to eat him,” the affidavit states.”

Guess this counts because it reached the magic number of four.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/east-texas-teenager-charged-with-murder-in-killings-of-parents-and-siblings/ar-AA1bG418

As of May 24, there have been at least 25 mass killing incidents in the U.S. so far in 2023, leaving at least 127 people dead, not including perpetrators who died, according to a database maintained by The Associated Press and USA Today in partnership with Northeastern University. That puts the country on a faster pace for mass killing incidents than in any other year since at least 2006, according to the database, which defines a mass killing as an incident in which four or more people are killed, not including the perpetrator, within a 24-hour period.

There have been at least 556 incidents in all since 2006 in the U.S., according to the database, leaving at least 2,892 people dead.

Family mass killings — in which four or more people were killed, not including the perpetrator — have also been an all-too-common tragedy across the country. They’ve happened nearly every 3 1/2 weeks for the last two decades on average, according to the database.

cool country, y'all

21 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

probably best to just take that kid out back and shoot him. no rehabbing him now - not in this fucking state. I mean, that's where we're heading, right? 

Must be weird for the gun fetish people: all the laws are getting easier to get a gun that will kill lots of people in no time at all.

But then when you actually kill someone everybody freaks out and make you out to be the bad guy.  

What's the point of all this ordnance if you can't actually use it?

Edited by Bullneck

I don't know if y'all are fans of Barry (the HBO Show) but there is a scene where he basically walks up exasperated and crazed into a Walmart and exits wearing rifles, shotgun, and pistol, body armor/vest like it is completely normal.   

On 5/25/2023 at 10:34 AM, Brisketexan said:

You're giving the public too much credit, they claim they want gun reform but don't care enough to stop voting for these pieces of shits. The public doesn't care if kids get killed as long as their kids aren't killed

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

I don't know if y'all are fans of Barry (the HBO Show) but there is a scene where he basically walks up exasperated and crazed into a Walmart and exits wearing rifles, shotgun, and pistol, body armor/vest like it is completely normal.   

i mean...it is.

200w (13).gif

• Like 1

PSA. There is a PBS documentary tonight, titled, "After Uvalde: Guns, Grief & Texas politics."  Coproduced by Texas Tribune, Frontline and a group that I've never heard of Futuro Investigates. 9pm in Houston and also streaming. 

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/after-uvalde-guns-grief-texas-politics/

Unfortunately most of us are fully aware of the Texas political response. Nada.

• Hook 'Em 1