Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

On 5/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NSIAP. Chronicle editorial about how the Santa Fe (TX) school shooting has been ignored or forgotten. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/santafe-uvalde-shooting-anniversary-guns-18108481.php

nonpaywall https://archive.is/jOzmN

2018 school shooting outside of Houston. 10 died. School district has done very little to acknowledge it. Unlike how the school was torn down in Uvalde, sounds like Santa Fe got a new paint job and wall tiles in the shooting/death rooms.  The article blames politics and the strong GOP local base.

What shocked me the most was that victims' families still haven't been allowed to learn details of their loved ones deaths. Texas passed a law this session to allow families access to autopsy records. I haven't heard whether Abbott will sign it. Can't have activist parents doing something to inform the public about these deaths.

As a follow-up, the Legislature passed a law that allows the Santa Fe families (and I presume families who lose anyone in a mass shooting) to see more evidence. Police video recordings, autopsy reports, etc.  BUT the families appear to be required to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to get that access.

Would a prosecutor really go after a victim's family if they said something to the press? That would be hardcore to prosecute the families when, at least in Santa Fe, they seem unable to prosecute the shooter. I also assume that the families are not allowed to copy any material and will most likely be watched by law enforcement to ensure no pictures of the evidence.

As a follow-up, the Legislature passed a law that allows the Santa Fe families (and I presume families who lose anyone in a mass shooting) to see more evidence. Police video recordings, autopsy reports, etc.  BUT the families appear to be required to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to get that access.
Would a prosecutor really go after a victim's family if they said something to the press? That would be hardcore to prosecute the families when, at least in Santa Fe, they seem unable to prosecute the shooter. I also assume that the families are not allowed to copy any material and will most likely be watched by law enforcement to ensure no pictures of the evidence.

It would not be a prosecution. It would be a civil suit. Depending on which agency is the plaintiff, it could be a city or county attorney.

Finally. Some in the religious community are speaking out:

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2023/06/newark-cardinal-asks-americans-to-voluntarily-forgo-right-to-guns

NEW YORK – Amid a mounting debate in America over the constitutionality of gun control, Cardinal Joseph Tobin of Newark has entered the fray with a different argument: That people should voluntarily forgo their Second Amendment rights for the betterment of society.

“I honestly believe it is the best thing we can do to change the culture of violence that threatens us today,” Tobin said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2023/06/newark-cardinal-asks-americans-to-voluntarily-forgo-right-to-guns

NEW YORK – Amid a mounting debate in America over the constitutionality of gun control, Cardinal Joseph Tobin of Newark has entered the fray with a different argument: That people should voluntarily forgo their Second Amendment rights for the betterment of society.

“I honestly believe it is the best thing we can do to change the culture of violence that threatens us today,” Tobin said.

Asking Americans to do something for the betterment of society is a hill too far. Look no further than this board for people who have said that their right to own assault weapons trumps (pun maybe intended) the right of others to live in peace and without fear of gun violence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

Gun owners already forego their 2nd amendment rights if they dont volunteer in a militia. [checks notes] we have professional police, military and a voluntary guard.

A mother of 4 fatally shot after she reportedly knocked on the door of a white woman's residence to retrieve her child's iPad. It's believed that Owens' children accidentally left the device behind in a field they were playing in, & the woman took it," Crump tweeted. 

Speaking at a press conference Monday, Owens' mother said the neighbor's door was locked and remained closed during the confrontation.

"My daughter, my grandchildren's mother, was shot and killed with her 9-year-old son standing next to her," she said. "She had no weapon, she posed no imminent threat to anyone."

In nearby Flagler County, a Florida man was arrested on May 27 for allegedly pointing a gun at a woman's head after her friend briefly turned into his driveway, authorities said. The incident was captured on video. Terry Vetsch, 60, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, according to jail records.

• Rage+1 2

A 13-year-old girl shopping with her mother at a South Carolina Walmart was shot at random Wednesday night, according to WJBF.

The shooting happened at the Walmart store in Aiken, which is about 15 miles from the Georgia border.

The Aiken County Department of Public Safety said they were called to reports of an active shooter around 7:30 p.m.

A witness told WJBF that the shooter walked straight up to the victim and shot her.

“She was with her mom she was actually looking at a pair of shorts and out of nowhere a guy just walked up and shot her and it actually went through her arm and into her abdomen,” Kari Johnson told WJBF.

Police arrested 32-year-old Stephen Foreman, who they said has no relationship to the victim.

The Augusta Press identified the victim as Ashton Rickard.

Her aunt, Jamie Hammons, said she was shot at point-blank range and has already had one surgery. Hammons said on Facebook she may need more surgery.

According to Rickard’s mother, Ashley Rickard, Ashton the bullet is lodged in her back and broke her arm.

Foreman has been charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a crime.

Police said they have not determined Foreman’s motive.

https://news.yahoo.com/man-walks-mother-daughter-shopping-154026196.html

It's some bullshit that family has to agree to a gag order to visit the place their loved ones died. Heard about similar on the anniversary of Uvalde a couple weeks ago.

It's some bullshit that family has to agree to a gag order to visit the place their loved ones died. Heard about similar on the anniversary of Uvalde a couple weeks ago.

Violate it. Make them take legal action.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TexPx said:

9 wounded in Denver mass shooting after Nuggets win and suspect taken into custody, police say

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/9-wounded-in-denver-mass-shooting-after-nuggets-win-and-suspect-taken-into-custody-police-say/ar-AA1ctxmU

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a gun issue in this country.

Either that, or outside has too many doors.

Just another mass incident. 

1 dead, at least 20 hurt in a shooting at a Juneteenth celebration in Willowbrook, Illinois, police say

At least 20 people were injured and one person has died in a shooting overnight, according to police, in what witnesses say was a Juneteenth celebration turned deadly.

The shooting took place around 12:30 a.m. in a parking lot in Willowbrook, about 21 miles west of Chicago. Witnesses say people were gathered in the area to celebrate Juneteenth.

Some of the injured were transported to hospitals by ambulance and others walked in, DuPage County Deputy Sheriff Eric Swanson told reporters Sunday.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/18/us/illinois-juneteenth-shooting/index.html

On 6/13/2023 at 2:28 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a gun issue in this country.

Either that, or outside has too many doors.

Yeah, that's why we refer to it as the "great outdoors"  Fucking, DUH!

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

1 dead, at least 20 hurt in a shooting at a Juneteenth celebration in Willowbrook, Illinois, police say

At least 20 people were injured and one person has died in a shooting overnight, according to police, in what witnesses say was a Juneteenth celebration turned deadly.

The shooting took place around 12:30 a.m. in a parking lot in Willowbrook, about 21 miles west of Chicago. Witnesses say people were gathered in the area to celebrate Juneteenth.

Some of the injured were transported to hospitals by ambulance and others walked in, DuPage County Deputy Sheriff Eric Swanson told reporters Sunday.

This is gonna be a hard one for many on here that don't know.  Willowbrook is absolutely not Chicago.  Not just distance, but a whole other set of county laws (DuPage v. Cook), and a completely different demographic than the usual "What about Chicago" crowd would think.  It's like the Leander of Chicago if that makes sense.  This does not fit the narrative people would think it does from here in armchair Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Two dead in a shooting at The Gorge campground last night.

https://columbiabasinherald.com/news/2023/jun/17/breaking-news-active-shooter-arrested-gorge-amphit/

Active shooter arrested at Gorge Amphitheater

GEORGE – An evening shooting at The Gorge Amphitheatre campground near George has left two victims dead and three people, including the shooter, injured, according to Grant County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Kyle Foreman.

“At about 8:20 p.m. or thereabouts, there was a shooting in the campground. The shooter was fleeing the scene and also firing shots,” Foreman said.

Concertgoers were camped out to attend Beyond Wonderland at The Gorge, a two-day, adults only show at the venue which features a variety of electronic dance music – or EDM – artists. The shooter’s motives are unknown at this time, Foreman said though he appeared to be shooting randomly into the crowd of campers a few hundred meters from the concert itself, which continued on as the shooting unfolded.

There was a report of shots fired at people in the crowd, which prompted a law enforcement response, he said. The shooter fled and continued shooting in what appeared to be a random pattern. No information regarding the types of weapons used by the shooter was available as yet and investigators are still trying to determine the shooter’s motives. 

Under Washington law, information regarding the shooting is limited, Foreman said. 

“Now, in Washington state, we have some laws that prevent me from expanding more on details,” Foreman said. “I’m not trying to be evasive; it’s just that I’m limited to what I can speak about in Washington state.” 

Ages and names for the victims and the shooter could not be released for similar reasons, he said.

• Rage+1 1

^

Okay, well the "Beyond Wonderland" music festival at the Gorge in Eastern Washington.  That's the whitest fucking shootout I've ever heard of.  Not gonna "What about Chicago" outta that one.  Holy shit.  Was fucking Kenny G involved?  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hey folks, July 4 is coming and what a great day to show those Yankees what a real shootout is all about.  I have five or six guns I can bring, so let's see if we can drop a thousand or so bodies on the ground at some fireworks display and find out if any of the politicians actually give a damn.  Might as well try, nothing else has made a difference so far.