Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's the charge?

There COULD be some laws imposing criminal liability on gun owners who allow their guns to fall into dangerous hands, but there's really not much in the way of such laws now.

Think the NRA would let us pass any such laws?

Yeah, me neither.

Thoughts.  Prayers.  Full stop, that's all that's allowed.

All these prayers seem to be falling on deaf ears. 

Federal buyout of domestic gun manufacturers.
No imports of guns.
Voluntary Federal buyback of weapons at market rate.
No transfer of guns (including inheritance).

You want your guns, keep them. You won’t be getting more.

It will take several generations to get it under control, but we have to start sometime.

• Like 1

Oh, and on the Heavy post as to his jacket and the symbols....sweet lord, the comments.  REALLY, these symbols mean he's antifa!  Folks are so fucking desperate to support their agenda/tribe that literally every piece of evidence, no matter what it is, is actually support for their take.

The objective picture is that the mixed bag of symbols and obsession with guns tells us....again....he was just a fucked up individual.  Who likely did not receive sufficient mental health care.  Whose dad left a buncha guns unsecured.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

And as to what the parents can/should do, I can tell you, I kinda get it.  I've watched some family members go through issues with their son (no violence issues -- rather, he's a lazy, unambitious slug who mooches off the world).  But the point is, it starts with them wanting to help him, it shifts into enabling him, and then they are so committed to that path that they just can't see that they need to change course.  I'm not making excuses -- I'm telling you that it's a natural progression, and the human psyche is a frail and predictable thing -- parents WILL have blind spots where their kids are concerned.

The guns being accessible....that's an entirely different problem.  Again, every firearm in my house is in a safe, and I'm the only one with the key.  Period.  This HAS to become the norm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sugar said:

Step 1: the NRA should be sued into bankruptcy, if not criminally charged.

Step 2: ban all assault weapons and assault kits

Step 3: NO GUNS ON ANY CAMPUS

That's a very good start.

This is laughable.  No guns on schools is what we have now and produces a target rich environment. I’d propose as a minimum solution a “gun training” tax whereby a portion of some revenue is used to seen every teacher to gun training and have at least 30-50% of teachers at the school armed at all times. Would even be for a school defense fund to put trained, armed guards at schools during school hours. The last thing I would propose is making them less defended than they are now. 

The whole “assault” rifle ban idea is a fools errand, but for whatever reason people seem to think that’s going to be a solution. Something reds to be done, but it needs to be something rooted in common sense that has a chance to actually work. Making schools less defended, if that’s even possible, is not a reasonable nor viable solution. 

2 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

This is laughable.  No guns on schools is what we have now and produces a target rich environment. I’d propose as a minimum solution a “gun training” tax whereby a portion of some revenue is used to seen every teacher to gun training and have at least 30-50% of teachers at the school armed at all times. Would even be for a school defense fund to put trained, armed guards at schools during school hours. The last thing I would propose is making them less defended than they are now. 

The whole “assault” rifle ban idea is a fools errand, but for whatever reason people seem to think that’s going to be a solution. Something reds to be done, but it needs to be something rooted in common sense that has a chance to actually work. Making schools less defended, if that’s even possible, is not a reasonable nor viable solution. 

I would laugh at what an imbecile you are if this wasn't all so incredibly depressing.

• Like 1

Probably should treat schools like any other place of business with key cards for entry during a specific time period, with cameras at every entrance. It appears that most of these shootings happen some time after school has started and the criminal just walks into a school without security or administration knowing much if anything at all.

Edited by HtownHorn

The NRA won't allow a free for all of guns on any of their campuses and rallies ... So I guess they're a target rich environment. Also, I bet you no rich kid's private school allows guns nor do any well to do churches, golf courses or country clubs.

The character from the movie Falling Down is what those target RICH people deserve.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yes, of course I would point to an inconclusive CDC study as an imperative for more research. I believe more knowledge regarding a subject is a good thing as opposed to the NRA's position that less knowledge is preferable. 

And if the study had said that guns were the devil incarnate, the study would have been the end all be all for the gun control movement. It's like Global Warming, Global Cooling, Climate Change. Keep researching until you get the results you want.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

And if the study had said that guns were the devil incarnate, the study would have been the end all be all for the gun control movement. It's like Global Warming, Global Cooling, Climate Change. Keep researching until you get the results you want.

You must hang out with a lot of really stupid people, because most of us are actually capable of assessing data and forming a more cogent conclusion than "hurr durr".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sugar said:

The NRA won't allow a free for all of guns on any of their campuses and rallies ... So I guess they're a target rich environment. Also, I bet you no rich kid's private school allows guns nor do any well to do churches, golf courses or country clubs.

The character from the movie Falling Down is what those target RICH people deserve.

My church does not allow guns.

My kid's preschool, which is also a church, allows guns. 

My golf course / country club allows guns.

Edited by JBJ

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So you're saying that the scientific community that studies climate change, now that they've reached the results that they want, are advocating that funding for research into climate change now cease. I'm pretty sure it would behoove them to stop researching under your scenario but I'm also pretty sure the researchers are advocating for more research. 

As opposed to the inconclusive 2013 CDC that you brought up. It's the NRA pushing for less research based on a study that came to no conclusions. They didn't "land" on any pre-determined results, yet only one side reacts to that by lobbying for less research. 

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This will get more play than it's worth.  As the article acknowledges:

The figures for 2018 do not suggest schools are more dangerous than combat zones. After all, there are more than 50 million students in public elementary and high schools and only about 1.3 million members of the armed forces. So far in 2018, a member of the military has been about 40 times as likely to be killed as someone is to die in a school shooting, including Keller’s revised figures.

32 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

So you're saying that the scientific community that studies climate change, now that they've reached the results that they want, are advocating that funding for research into climate change now cease. I'm pretty sure it would behoove them to stop researching under your scenario but I'm also pretty sure the researchers are advocating for more research. 

As opposed to the inconclusive 2013 CDC that you brought up. It's the NRA pushing for less research based on a study that came to no conclusions. They didn't "land" on any pre-determined results, yet only one side reacts to that by lobbying for less research. 

I'm not opposed to researching issues, by all means let the CDC run studies every 5-10 years on guns. Just don't come back with some lame inconclusive data point when the results aren't favorable to your preconceived notions.

What's the charge?
There COULD be some laws imposing criminal liability on gun owners who allow their guns to fall into dangerous hands, but there's really not much in the way of such laws now.
Think the NRA would let us pass any such laws?
Yeah, me neither.
Thoughts.  Prayers.  Full stop, that's all that's allowed.

Texas does have a child firearm access law (Penal Code 46.13) but it defines child as “under 17” and even if the child kills someone, it’s only a Class A misdemeanor.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm not opposed to researching issues, by all means let the CDC run studies every 5-10 years on guns. Just don't come back with some lame inconclusive data point when the results aren't favorable to your preconceived notions.

???

You're the one that brought up the inconclusive 2013 CDC study in reaction to me pointing out the NRA has lobbied against the federal government studying gun violence in our country. I'm still struggling to understand your point in doing that.

Live with it.   Like the price of winning freedom, getting the fuck shot out of you is the price of maintaining it.  Short of locking up pimply teen malcontents and ghost worshippers, not a fucking thing you can do about it, EXCEPT, don’t have kids if you can’t properly raise and teach them some fucking decency.   

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

My church does not allow guns.

My kid's preschool, which is also a church, allows guns. 

My golf course / country club allows guns.

Not a well to do version of those examples. I'm basing that on your avatar.

1 minute ago, sugar said:

Not a well to do version of those examples. I'm basing that on your avatar.

They are all located in Colleyville and Southlake if that helps you narrow down the cost range.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Every parent or guardian of every one of these shooters should be executed on live TV.   Followed by a Trojan commercial. 

Sex solves everything. And I'm not kidding about that. The more sex you have the fewer people you kill while on a violent rampage through society. Wanna defeat the terris? Require their women to unwrap. Then promote a sexual revolution in the middle east. Some of those Islamic women are hot. They've got Cleopatra eyes, and they're aren't afraid to bejewel. They want it.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

They are all located in Colleyville and Southlake if that helps you narrow down the cost range.

I dunno what those things are. I live in L.A. and they're filming right across the street. It's a movie starring one of the kids from Blackish. I've never seen or heard a gun go off in CA. Ever.

10 minutes ago, sugar said:

I dunno what those things are. I live in L.A. and they're filming right across the street. It's a movie starring one of the kids from Blackish. I've never seen or heard a gun go off in CA. Ever.

Same, except when hunting or shooting or on a ranch with neighbors doing the same.  Were you under the impression random gunfire is a common occurrence in Texas?

30 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

???

You're the one that brought up the inconclusive 2013 CDC study in reaction to me pointing out the NRA has lobbied against the federal government studying gun violence in our country. I'm still struggling to understand your point in doing that.

Yet the CDC ran a study in 2013. The results weren't favorable to your side, if they were, I'm sure your side would just say something retarded like "the science is settled." The CDC has funding for another study, they can run one at any time they want.

I always suspected the real problem was too many doors. Thank you Dan Patrick for finally clearly elucidating the real problem with school shootings. There should only be one door into and out of every school. Sure if the school catches on fire this might cause problems but at least it might stop school shootings by narrowing the avenues of escape. Fuckin’ A brilliant man! 

Texas has the best politicians in the world and Dan Patrick and Ted Cruz are the proof. 

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yet the CDC ran a study in 2013. The results weren't favorable to your side, if they were, I'm sure your side would just say something retarded like "the science is settled." The CDC has funding for another study, they can run one at any time they want.

Link to study.