Arc Angels!

Zwylde

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No Tommy Shannon?

On an unrelated note, Charlie has been touring with Elvis Costello, of all people.

I found and returned his kid's wallet to him not too long ago. He goes or did go to UT. I thought "hmm I bet that's Charlie Sexton's son". Nice kid.

Edited by ztejas

Dates posted: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10224460657802053&id=1175075446

arc angels 2022 Texas Tour dates. 
1/20 The Aztec Theater San Antonio, TX 
1/21 713 Music Hall Houston, TX 
1/22 Echo Lounge & Music Hall Dallas, TX 
1/24 ACL Live @ The Moody Austin, TX 
Tickets will go on sale after Thanksgiving. Ticket links will be posted with more updates to follow!

Edited by VRHorn

saw roger waters in 2000 and doyle bramhall ii was his lead guitarist. was impressed with his playing and looked into his other music after that show...ended up seeing the arc angels at the first acl fest in 2002. probably would have skipped that set had i never seen the roger waters tour. 

This is funny - especially because I wasn't familiar with Arc Angels until seeing this thread. I'm house sitting for my parents and was gonna play my dad's guitar a bit and went to dig out a capo. There was a mixtape sitting next to it (a literal mixtape) - but just that one (guessing it has some significance). So I checked the tracklist.

Track 6 on side B. 

20211118_133415.thumb.jpg.09819c70fe5a27865df241f7b0be6fd4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found a couple of national TV broadcast videos.  I wasn't a big Arc Angels fan at the time, I was just too wrecked by Stevie's death to dive back into that rhythm section, but holy shit, in retrospect these cats could PLAY, and the songwriting is way better than I recall.  I got to know Charlie a bit down the road, good guy, obviously an extreme talent, but the way he happily defers to Doyle on lead guitar in these videos is a good indicator of his nose for production.  He just wants it to all work.  He can definitely shred with Doyle all day long.  And their voices, the way they meld, good God!  This band should have been huge.

Why didn’t they do more?

I always wondered that too. I just assumed they were all so busy with other gigs, but they did have a special something together. DB II sure tries to channel SRV but if anyone has a right to do a little copycatting I supposed it’s him given his parentage. And says a lot that Chris and Tommy have supported them all along.

Btw, Chris still has and plays that sparkly Fibes kit from the Alamo show. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure, other than Doyle got way deep into drugs.  I think he cleaned up a long time ago, though.

Stevie Van Zandt --who produced their album-- talks about the experience in his recently released autobiography, Unrequited Infatuation (a pretty fun read). He has great things to say about how talented the band was--especially Charlie--and how great the album could have been, but he absolutely drags Doyle (who was deep into his demons at the time). Stevie doesn't suffer fools, and it's pretty clear that he wouldn't walk across the street to spit on Doyle, or at least the person Doyle was at that time in his life.

• Like 1

Quick CSB, a band I played in way back in the early 2000s was involved (long story) in a film that premiered at sxsw about the impact of corporate radio on great music. In support of the film, there was a big showcase at Austin Music Hall and my band was one a couple of openers for a show that has as its finale DBII, Erykah Badu, questlove, and DJ Jazzy Jeff. It was a highlight of our little band’s short tenure with the only downside being that I’d loaded in my drum kit and at the last minute I had to play questlove’s kit and he is about 6’ 3” and I’m 5’ 8” so that wasn’t nerve-wracking at all.

But point of the story is that of all those guys (and a number of other real locals like Chris and Tommy, Malford Milligan, Charlie and Will, etc), Doyle was the coolest motherfucker in the world and treated everyone at soundcheck and pre and post show exactly the same. (Maybe a little extra love for Erykah).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3

I've heard that after their initial run they really couldn't get along well, and a lot of it had to do with Doyle being wasted which made him an asshole. But I also think they didn't have a ton of national interest, it just wasn't fashionable enough to sell to the masses, despite having a strong cult following. The grunge thing was starting to dominate music and the industry really didn't want to bother with anything else, and a lot of great bands got shitcanned by the labels.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Found a couple of national TV broadcast videos.  I wasn't a big Arc Angels fan at the time, I was just too wrecked by Stevie's death to dive back into that rhythm section, but holy shit, in retrospect these cats could PLAY, and the songwriting is way better than I recall.  I got to know Charlie a bit down the road, good guy, obviously an extreme talent, but the way he happily defers to Doyle on lead guitar in these videos is a good indicator of his nose for production.  He just wants it to all work.  He can definitely shred with Doyle all day long.  And their voices, the way they meld, good God!  This band should have been huge.

Charlie is an incredibly good rock vocalist.  That performance is A++++++. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Charlie is an incredibly good rock vocalist.  That performance is A++++++. 

You're not wrong.  Tremendous pitch control, great tone, fantastic "style".  Throw in his looks and talent as a player, well, he should be a lot more famous than he is.  It's not like he hasn't had a great career, he has, but he's a better Jakob Dylan with a smaller bank account.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 7:07 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Stevie Van Zandt --who produced their album-- talks about the experience in his recently released autobiography, Unrequited Infatuation (a pretty fun read). He has great things to say about how talented the band was--especially Charlie--and how great the album could have been, but he absolutely drags Doyle (who was deep into his demons at the time). Stevie doesn't suffer fools, and it's pretty clear that he wouldn't walk across the street to spit on Doyle, or at least the person Doyle was at that time in his life.

John Paul Jones was Bramhall's choice to produce. Hard to argue with how it turned out. Shannon actually credits Little Steven for helping the band to really come together.  

Sexton is really a grounded person, just a typical parent over the years at Waldorf. The antithesis of Bramhall who was always a spark or two away from a wildfire. Perhaps he's changed with age but little doubt that had he behaved a bit differently and used a lot less then we'd have seen more than one album from the band. 

Wonder how bad Shannon is? For many years, not too long ago, you'd run into him in south Austin, random places like Sprouts, Thom's, wherever.  In his mid 70s now so time's not on his side, unfortunately. 

Charlie used to store some of his gear in my studio.  I was happy to do it -- it never hurt to have artists see a half dozen road cases labeled "Bob Dylan" when they came in to check out my meager offerings for recording.

I didn't record him much, but the few times I did it seemed he was always keenly aware of the song.  He didn't need to show off, although he was completely capable of doing so.  He's just a smart, talented, emotionally connected guy.  I've never met Doyle, so I can't speak to his personality V Charlie's.  Doyle seems equally talented.

• Like 1

I've spoken to Doyle on the phone, when I was doing some photography for the band for their reunion DVD thing. For some reason he was the one in charge of selecting the photos. He seemed very distant and slow, like he was either half baked or just suffering from the aftermath of long term abuse. It was very impersonal. However, I've seen him in interviews where he seems fairly sharp, though not the warmest person in the world. It's probably not easy being either a huge recognizable local celeb, or in the constant presence of hugeness like Clapton and his entourage of yes-men, so I try to cut those guys some slack. Who the hell really knows. 

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1