Hey University of Texas grads, class of 2018

Celery Man

Attended my niece's graduation, College of Natural Sciences (of course, the largest single graduation ceremony outside of the "general" on Sat. night, but this one they called all 800ish graduates individually).  However, I was okay with it, it's a huge deal of course for many families, who drive a long way often and stay overnight.  She was valedictorian of her class 3 years ago, graduated in microbiology in 3 years (not an easy feat) and wants to work on teeth for a living (DDS).  Oh well, it's a living.

natsci18grad.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Attended my niece's graduation, College of Natural Sciences (of course, the largest single graduation ceremony outside of the "general" on Sat. night, but this one they called all 800ish graduates individually).  However, I was okay with it, it's a huge deal of course for many families, who drive a long way often and stay overnight.  She was valedictorian of her class 3 years ago, graduated in microbiology in 3 years (not an easy feat) and wants to work on teeth for a living (DDS).  Oh well, it's a living.

How the hell long did that take

About 1:30.  Ceremony began at 8 a.m. we were out by 10:25.  That included about 2 ten minute speeches and remarks by the Dean (another short speech).  The rest was names.  Smart phone browsing is your friend.

One thing that made it tough was that the graduates just filed in as they got in line - no alpha, etc.  They organized by "schools" within the College, and some "schools" had like ten graduates, hell one or two even had just one.  But the biggest chunk (probably 85%) was the BSA's, which are "Bachelor of Arts and Sciences".  A lot of those grads were in "schools" but using logic I couldn't quite grasp, weren't separated out, just one huge big block of "BSA's".  Since there was no way to really know when your loved one would get onstage and walk across, you had to be "camera ready" for like 90 minutes.  However my BIL and SIL texted me when she got up (of course mother and dad find their baby, just like sea lions on the beach or something) so I got warning... after about 10 minutes of continually holding the camera up going, "this is stupid".  So I got a good shot waaaaay up there across the Erwin Center using my zoom on max (which produced a less than stellar pic, but good enough for government work).

So I did shit on my phone like looks at Surly and other stuff during 2/3 of that time.  It wasn't so bad.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

natsci18grad.png

I graduated with a BS in Zoology, which was the last group to walk. Only about 6 or 8 graduates with that particular degree, and I was the last one out of the entire 800 (or whatever the number was) to cross the stage. Family made me walk. The fact I was last was my revenge on them for making me do it.

They don't alphabetize the very large BA group, because that would be a logistical nightmare. They give you a card with your name on it. Before you go out on the floor, if your name has a weird pronunciation, you meet with the guy calling out the names, tell him the correct pronunciation, he makes a note on the card, gives it back to you. Just before you go on stage, you hand the card back to him, then he calls your name. No worries about names or graduates in the wrong order.

Oh, and I hated micro.

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I graduated with a BS in Zoology, which was the last group to walk. Only about 6 or 8 graduates with that particular degree, and I was the last one out of the entire 800 (or whatever the number was) to cross the stage. Family made me walk. The fact I was last was my revenge on them for making me do it.

They don't alphabetize the very large BA group, because that would be a logistical nightmare. They give you a card with your name on it. Before you go out on the floor, if your name has a weird pronunciation, you meet with the guy calling out the names, tell him the correct pronunciation, he makes a note on the card, gives it back to you. Just before you go on stage, you hand the card back to him, then he calls your name. No worries about names or graduates in the wrong order.

Oh, and I hated micro.

The LAST guy of the entire 800 or whatever got the whole place rocking.  When he went up, he did some type of dance, then did about 3 back flips, then did a break dance split, and was just going apeshit.  It was awesome.  If you're gonna be last...

I hope someone puts it on YouTube because it was well worth it!

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The LAST guy of the entire 800 or whatever got the whole place rocking.  When he went up, he did some type of dance, then did about 3 back flips, then did a break dance split, and was just going apeshit.  It was awesome.  If you're gonna be last...

That's awesome. All I did was face the crowd, hold up the double hook em horns, and scream something unintelligible. Crowd cheered. Missed opportunity, story of my life.

55 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

they showed a clip of what was almost certainly that on Good Day Austin this morning