Cleveland Guardians sued by Cleveland Guardians

TexasBuckeye

The Cleveland Indians finally changed their name to the Guardians, but there is already a team called the Cleveland Guardians. A mens roller derby team has used that name for several years. I'm sure the baseball team checked and knew that. They filed a lawsuit in Federal Court claiming trademark infringement. 

The Cleveland Indians and the roller derby team released a joint statement Tuesday morning, “The Cleveland Guardians Baseball Company, LLC and Guardians Roller Derby are pleased to announce an amicable resolution of the lawsuit filed by Guardians Roller Derby, whereby both organizations will continue to use the Guardians name.”

They don't say what the resolution was. Probably a set of four season tickets to Indian games. I mean Guardian BASEBALL games.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/11/16/resolution-reached-between-cleveland-indians-cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-over-guardians-name/

FCuVoBCXoAQPbL3.jpg

Edited by TexasBuckeye

2 hours ago, TexasBuckeye said:

The Cleveland Indians finally changed their name to the Guardians, but there is already a team called the Cleveland Guardians. A mens roller derby team has used that name for several years. I'm sure the baseball team checked and knew that. They filed a lawsuit in Federal Court claiming trademark infringement. 

The Cleveland Indians and the roller derby team released a joint statement Tuesday morning, “The Cleveland Guardians Baseball Company, LLC and Guardians Roller Derby are pleased to announce an amicable resolution of the lawsuit filed by Guardians Roller Derby, whereby both organizations will continue to use the Guardians name.”

They don't say what the resolution was. Probably a set of four season tickets to Indian games. I mean Guardian BASEBALL games.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/11/16/resolution-reached-between-cleveland-indians-cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-over-guardians-name/

FCuVoBCXoAQPbL3.jpg

Roller derby team logo is legit. Baseball logo is fuct. 

old spiders logo isn’t bad, looks a bit like a tick though. 

• Like 3

HUGE roller derby fan here. This will be really confusing for me.  Just like back when the NFL Cardinals were in STL people would preface their sports team talk with "Football" or "Baseball" Cardinals.  This will be no different.  How am I supposed to know which Guardians team people are referring to?  This is an outrage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, idigTexas said:

If it had been up to me it would have been the Cleveland Rocks. 

That would have been a really great idea.  Surprised that didn't make it to the finalists list.  

Other than a famous clinic and a world class symphony that maybe 9 people outside of Ohio know about, the only thing positive Americans associate with Cleveland is the RnR HOF.  So of course, in true Cleveland fashion, they completely ignore that fact.  I get they're trying to reinvent the city like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, but if it hasn't happened in 50 years, it's not gonna happen.  I feel like somebody needs to pull a 'Mean Girls' with them and just yell, "Quit trying to make Cleveland happen!"  

On 12/9/2021 at 9:12 AM, Lobo said:

That would have been a really great idea.  Surprised that didn't make it to the finalists list.  

Other than a famous clinic and a world class symphony that maybe 9 people outside of Ohio know about, the only thing positive Americans associate with Cleveland is the RnR HOF.  So of course, in true Cleveland fashion, they completely ignore that fact.  I get they're trying to reinvent the city like Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, but if it hasn't happened in 50 years, it's not gonna happen.  I feel like somebody needs to pull a 'Mean Girls' with them and just yell, "Quit trying to make Cleveland happen!"  

Go back to Cleveland, Cleveland!