OK, I’m quitting the Cope (again)

Keep up the fight, guys.  My smokeless tobacco story is that I thought it would be cool to chew tobacco when I was in 10-12 year old Little League.  I asked my dad to buy me a pack of chewing tobacco.  We were at a diner that had a large tobacco selection at the checkout.  He chose Beechnut and made me put a big plug in my mouth while at the counter.  I was about to throw up by the time we made it to the car.  He let me keep the rest of the pouch in my bedroom.  It stayed there for years untouched until I finally threw it out.  Although growing up in west Ft. Band County where practically every guy (and many girls as well) dipped, I never touched smokeless tobacco again.   My dad knew me pretty well.  

I started Skoal when I was 14 in 1977.  Went to Copenhagen by 1982. 

I once cold turkey quit for 3 years.  Went on a big hunt in Montana, had to have some Hagen , fell of the wagon, got my boot tangled up in a rope and have been drug through an ocean of Copenhagen since. 

A month ago, I started with one of the fauxbacco products.   I’m completely miserable but giving it another shot.  Slowly I feel the “miss and want” ebb.  It’s still there but barely perceptible in fading away.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Had a client die prematurely from it, surgeons had to take out his face from his neck up to his lower jaw, 60-65 years old. trachea ruined, couldn’t talk, worse was all the drool. Had to write on a piece of paper. Died within about 18 months. Left a mess of an estate to his daughter, including a business traumatized from his sudden departure. 5 years later the situation he left isn’t much better.  

the saddest part was he was a good guy, country for sure but he liked me more as his attorney for having the guts to do what I did. I considered him a friend, he told me how much he admired me every time we met, didn’t hurt I lead him through a business divorce and he came out on top either.

sad ending for a guy that deserved so much better.  

Edited by troph

Switched from dip to vape about six years ago and never looked back. Now I need to get off the vape and nicotine one day. Might try the zyn and then fake dip or sunflower seeds. It’s part nicotine addiction but also the addiction to having to do something, rather it be puff or spit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Might try the zyn

Try the Zyn.  I started dipping Copenhagen around 16 and immediately fell in love with it which turned into at least a can and a half a day. Have been off it but on the gum for about the last 10 years (45 now) and only managed to quit the gum twice for about a year each time during that period.  The whole time I was on the gum I would still “sneak” dips for certain activities (hunting, fishing, golf).  Moved to the Zyn about a year ago from the gum and now actually prefer it over dip.  Still need to get off all nicotine though but that first few weeks of quitting really sucks.   Best of luck to you all.  

• Like 1

Zyn and On! are my new bestest buddies.  

Most of the flavors are pretty mild.  Coffee has the most flavor and reminds me the most of Copenhagen. 

Why can't they make one that tastes like Copenhagen? What am I missing?  Send a man to the moon: Check.  Copenhagen-flavored fauxbacco: Can't be done.

Trying On! citrus right now.  It's lame and will not return to the rotation.

I've been using Camel Snus for a few months now. I dipped when I was younger and gave it up for years. One day a few years ago I got bored and bought a can and, aside for a few months at the end of last year, have been a daily snus user since. Need to switch to Zyn or something similar I guess. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Quit a pack-a-day cigarette habit in 2010 by switching to cigars. Eventually got to the point I didn't care if I went a few days without a cigar, and ended up unintentionally effectively quitting those as well. For some reason, perhaps boredom, I bought a can of Cope in 2016 after not having dipped since high school. It made my queasy, but I ended up diving back into a nicotine habit, eventually landing on Skoal Snus as my preferred delivery system. I signed up for life insurance back in October. As part of the process, I had to take a blood test that tested for nicotine use. That was enough to convince me to quit. Haven't had any snus since, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think about grabbing a can occasionally.  

I knew I had posted in this thread before. Bought a can of Camel Snus a week after this post and haven't been without one since. 

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

Why can't they make one that tastes like Copenhagen? What am I missing?  Send a man to the moon: Check.  Copenhagen-flavored fauxbacco: Can't be done.

I’m not sure what the price/can I’d pay for this, but I can assure you it would be in the “whole fucking lot” category. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not sure what the price/can I’d pay for this, but I can assure you it would be in the “whole fucking lot” category. 

How much we talking about? Would you pay $10/can?  $20?  Thinking there might be an opportunity here.  Also happy to report that I am still tobacco free.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

How much we talking about? Would you pay $10/can?  $20?  Thinking there might be an opportunity here.  Also happy to report that I am still tobacco free.

I literally miss it every single day of my life. That and UT football are the only things that have ever had their hooks that deep into me.  I risked who knows what kind of punishment smuggling logs of it into Oz, Singapore, Bahamas, etc.  “you can bring 38 grams of tobbaco”.  Wut, how about 5 logs in the carry on?   I spend lots of money on some dumb shit that could be an immediate replacement. Isn’t the real stuff nearly $10/can now?  I don’t think I’d blink at 20. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I literally miss it every single day of my life. That and UT football are the only things that have ever had their hooks that deep into me.  I risked who knows what kind of punishment smuggling logs of it into Oz, Singapore, Bahamas, etc.  “you can bring 38 grams of tobbaco”.  Wut, how about 5 logs in the carry on?   I spend lots of money on some dumb shit that could be an immediate replacement. Isn’t the real stuff nearly $10/can now?  I don’t think I’d blink at 20. 

I obeyed the laws when I last traveled internationally before I quit.  14 day trip.  2 logs was the limit if I did my math correctly. I was gonna come up a few days short with that limit.  Nothing like driving around a foreign country trying to find a product that doesn’t exist there.  I ended up buying a tub of raw tobacco and just shoved that shit between my cheek and gum for the last few days.

Also, you shouldn’t fuck around in Singapore.  Good luck to all of the quitters, keep it up.

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, guy in front of me at the convenience store bought 2 cans of Copenhagen for $12 and change the other day.

23 hours ago, deadshank said:

Zyn and On! are my new bestest buddies.  

Most of the flavors are pretty mild.  Coffee has the most flavor and reminds me the most of Copenhagen. 

Trying On! citrus right now.  It's lame and will not return to the rotation.

I dumped the Cope back in 202 and use the On! mint and wintergreen.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Nope. I buy a bag of Red Man every year at the start of deer season and it’s gone up each year. Good thing the bag will last me about a month.

You’ll be shocked to know it’s no longer called Redman.  

It is now America’s Best.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, deadshank said:

Have tried the Black Buffalo fauxbacco with no nicotine.   

It is not too bad but very difficult to find on a shelf somewhere.  Mostly on-line sales. 

Got an ad pop up for this today.  Gave it more of a thought than I’d like to admit.  Too afraid I’ll fall off the wagon.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Bookman said:

8 years tobacco free. 1.65 years nicotine free. I gained 30 pounds after quitting nicotine gum but I’ve since lost all of it.

Fuck tobacco. Fuck Copenhagen.

Good for you.  I’m still off the Hagen but on the Zyn 3 train.    

Switched to Zyn about 2 months ago.  Coffee tastes like chocolate.  Citrus is great too.

I can say that I have saved a TON of money just in the last two months.  I was creeping to 2 cans a day of Grizzley.  A can of Zyn will last be well over 2 days.  I'll go from the 6 to the 3 mg probably within the next month or so but this stuff has been a wallet and life saver.

Dr gave me Wellbutrin for several months which totally killed my desire to dip. 30 year habit.  I did ease it with nicotine gum. It got to where dips were so unsatisfying that it was easy to put down.